Why is Ezra drop so bad? lol

I know this seems like a typical complaint, that, "Oh my gosh the guy I'm farming has horrible drop rates!" BUT!!! I conducted a very sciency scientific study. Be amazed! I ran a multi sim of 12 battle on KRU(who I am also farming). I received 5 KRU shards and 4 TIE Silencer shards. Then I multi sim Ezra's node 12 times. I got 1 shard. I then ran 3 multi sim on FOE. I got 2 shards. Back when I was farming Hera, I'd get like 6 shards when I simmed 13 battles. Why is Ezra's so bad?

Replies

• Your sample sizes are far too small to draw such conclusions.
  • It's just your RNG of the day. I'm farming Bastila Fallen at the moment, among other characters. One day I got zero shards despite buying two refreshes (15 attempts in total), followed by 7 shards for 10 attempts the next day. The drop rate works out to approx. 33% in the long run.

Nodes like KRU's drop more because both the character and the ship shards have a 33% chance to drop, so you'll often get both. It's a great way to earn shard shop currency once you've 7-starred them.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Your sample sizes are far too small to draw such conclusions.
    Not sure what you mean, this has been a consistent problem since I started farming.
  • It's just your RNG of the day. I'm farming Bastila Fallen at the moment, among other characters. One day I got zero shards despite buying two refreshes (15 attempts in total), followed by 7 shards for 10 attempts the next day. The drop rate works out to approx. 33% in the long run.

Nodes like KRU's drop more because both the character and the ship shards have a 33% chance to drop, so you'll often get both. It's a great way to earn shard shop currency once you've 7-starred them.

I understand what you mean, however, it's been consistently bad for the past week or so. I haven't been documenting it or anything, but I haven't been lying when I say it's been horrible drop rates.
  • The drop rate is 33%. Some days the rate will be less than that, some days it will be more. It’s not uncommon to get a poor drop rate on a character for a week straight. Eventually it evens out.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    After about 50 days of documentation, you may be breaking into the evidence territory.
  • Sheesh another complaint about math and probabilities. The shard drop rate is 33%. Over time it all averages out. You will always have good days and bad. That's how probabilities work people!

Keeping track is like keeping track of flipping a coin. It's still 50% chance to get heads. Doing it a million times or 20 doesn't prove anything. Statiscally it's still 50%. Period.
  • Your chances of going 0 for 5 is about 13%. But your chances of going 5 for 5 is about 0.3%.
  • Well sometimes playing based on gambers superstition works out, try swapping back to Hera for a few days.
  • Fauztin
    1332 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    @JDIII , other way around. The weight factor in a coin flip is in favor of tails facing up - the side with heads has more physical material, adding weight to be pulled down by gravity. A minuscule amount, so only for the seasoned professional gambler that likes to... “live dangerously...” 👌
    "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." ~ Hoban Washburne
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Fauztin wrote: »
    @JDIII , other way around. The weight factor in a coin flip is in favor of tails facing up - the side with heads has more physical material, adding weight to be pulled down by gravity. A minuscule amount, so only for the seasoned professional gambler that likes to... “live dangerously...” 👌

It's even more biased toward which side was up before it was flipped.
  • Professor of statistics here. Yeah, 12 trials is way too small a sample size. You're only about 95% sure you've gotten w/in +/- .15 of the real probability.

You're dealing with a basic Binomial distribution here (with known true probability 0.33, but I get that the probability is what you're worried might not be true). Do more like 100 trials and you'll get a better sense of what the real probability looks like. (You should be seeing something between about 24 and 43 drops.)

If you want a handy Binomial calculator, check this out:
    https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial.aspx
  • 12 tries. A very scientific study. Ha!