We don't need preview phases.

Rake6
442 posts Member
What's the point to have them? Just jump to the setup phase and add ready button so it can start immediately when the players are done setting up defences.

Replies

• Call it a registration phase then. Gives players time to populate the divisions so that the matchmaking algorithm can generate the brackets.
  • Rake6
    442 posts Member
    Nope, you have another 24h for the setup.
  • Rake6 wrote: »
    Nope, you have another 24h for the setup.

The set up (as you keep calling it) is the first defence setting stage. The preview stage is to allow players to sign up. Global game, so a 24 hour preview/sign up phase is just fine.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    1) Join for matchmaking
    2) Set D
    3) Attack

I don't see the issue.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    1) Join for matchmaking
    2) Set D
    3) Attack

I don't see the issue.

This. Think of the "preview" phase as a chance to get your mods in order, make sure you've geared/starred/leveled any newish toons you wanted to add. I actually like a 24 hour countdown timer to matchmaking.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • So you want to set up defense blindly?
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Rake6 wrote: »
    What's the point to have them? Just jump to the setup phase and add ready button so it can start immediately when the players are done setting up defences.

So people have a time period to do any last minute upgrades / changes to their rosters.

Just because you dont use the time period doesnt mean others dont.
  • Rake6
    442 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    You have days and days before the event starts. They show it like 4 days before it stars. Plenty of time to do the mods and whatever. Also in GAC you can't move your mods. Wth is ya'll talking about? You can see opponents rosters in 3 minutes. Is there something wrong with you guys?
  • Remove preview phase and keep only the 1st set defense phase but remove 2nd and 3rd set defense phases where we reapply same as 1st automatically

Like this GA is twice faster
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Remove preview phase and keep only the 1st set defense phase but remove 2nd and 3rd set defense phases where we reapply same as 1st automatically

Like this GA is twice faster

Yes and then this will happen.

1) People won't be able to adjust their characters
    2) People will get mad because not everyone sets the exact same defenses.

Maybe think of how your ideas will play out.

No offense but it would make GAC worse.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    You have days and days before the event starts. They show it like 4 days before it stars. Plenty of time to do the mods and whatever. Also in GAC you can't move your mods. Wth is ya'll talking about? You can see opponents rosters in 3 minutes. Is there something wrong with you guys?

OP is stating remove the beginning period. There isn't a review phase.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    All players are automatically assigned to Divisions and GAC starts.

Then 24 hours for players who actually want to participate to sign up for the first GA. The preview phase.

Then matchmaking the active players into groups for the first GA in the sequence.

Then 24 hours for players to set defenses for the first match.

If you eliminate the preview phase then you have to auto-enroll every single account in the first GA and you will have a _lot_ of inactives.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    All players are automatically assigned to Divisions and GAC starts.

Then 24 hours for players who actually want to participate to sign up for the first GA. The preview phase.

Then matchmaking the active players into groups for the first GA in the sequence.

Then 24 hours for players to set defenses for the first match.

If you eliminate the preview phase then you have to auto-enroll every single account in the first GA and you will have a _lot_ of inactives.

Aye man I mean that ain't no problem for us ;)
  • TVF wrote: »
    1) Join for matchmaking
    2) Set D
    3) Attack

I don't see the issue.
    maybe possible but without knowing your opponent
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    kiar1404 wrote: »
    1) Join for matchmaking
    2) Set D
    3) Attack

I don't see the issue.

Yeah it's like going into a MMA match having no clue who your opponent is.

And since you have no idea you prepare for an opponent in similar size to you.

And then you get matched up with The Rock

And you lose.
  • Rake6 wrote: »

If you don't have a Preview/Joining phase how are you going to have a setup phase to "jump into" since it's that Preview phase that allows people to join and then be matched into each mini league of 8!
  • Kazeb
    39 posts Member
    You could set your def for the 3 match without knowing your opponent. and it s all done in 4 days : register, attack, attack, attack. i dont even check the opponent rosters, it s always the worst possible.
  • Hortus
    621 posts Member

Who are that "we" exactly? Personally I need them to define if I want to participate in GA at all and, more importantly, do some adjustment to my roster if I want (last minute character upgrades and mods moves).
  • Kilo_Ren
    34 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    SemiGod wrote: »
    kiar1404 wrote: »
    1) Join for matchmaking
    2) Set D
    3) Attack

I don't see the issue.

Yeah it's like going into a MMA match having no clue who your opponent is.

And since you have no idea you prepare for an opponent in similar size to you.

And then you get matched up with The Rock

And you lose.

Haha, getting matched up with The Rock in MMA...

I think the only way to get rid of the "preview phase" for territory wars would be to automatically add all members of a guild to the event. Some members might night want to or might not be able to participate. Having a join period allows members who want to participate in any event to join. This allows the game to adjust the number of required teams per phase.
  • kiar1404
    241 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Maybe some of us "analyze" their opponent.
    eg. if he has strong jawas and/or zzBossk you should not place geos in def
  • Rake6
    442 posts Member
    You have 24h to set your defense.
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Eventually, as time passes and everyone will tend to have all toons maxed out, there will be nothing to analyze anymore about opponent. By default we will assume they have everything maxed out, so the 24h to analyze opponent wont make any sense for end game players
  • Hortus wrote: »

Who are that "we" exactly? Personally I need them to define if I want to participate in GA at all and, more importantly, do some adjustment to my roster if I want (last minute character upgrades and mods moves).

Are you the **** that joins and decides you no chance at winning, so you don’t set D out of protest?
  • This whole thread is a mess. Some people talking about TW, some about GAC, some about the 24 hour join period,and some about the defense-setting stage between each attack phase in GAC. What I will put forward is it's all necessary for one reason or another, just because it doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it is a waste of time, otherwise there's a good chance it wouldn't be there. say what you like about the game, it doesn't waste much time providing stuff, most people have an issue with things happening too quickly once warned of, not the other way round. (cough, Malak, cough)
  • The preview/signup phase is necessary so that people don't get matched against inactive players.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Eventually, as time passes and everyone will tend to have all toons maxed out, there will be nothing to analyze anymore about opponent. By default we will assume they have everything maxed out, so the 24h to analyze opponent wont make any sense for end game players

The first 24 hours is for everyone to have time to sign up.

The second 24 hours is for everyone to have time to set D.

There is no 24 hours to analyze your opponent. If you choose to use it that way, fine, but it's irrelevant to the topic.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    The preview/signup phase is necessary so that people don't get matched against inactive players.

This is the reason this phase exists. If they scratch it and everyone is force signed in lots of people will have inactive enemies which means they don't have any fun and/ or competition and will start complaining about it soon.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • "Preview phase" is the signup period. Not every guild has 100% participation and even if they did, not every guild is the same size. Matchmaking occurs(I assume) based on the number of participants that signed up, average GP of said participants, and some other related factors presumably.

If you skip that phase, then matches will pretty much be random and could potentially have a starter guild vs an elite guild. Or if you just say to match solely on guild GP, then you could have a laser focused, super active 120 GP guild with all the current meta toons vs a 120 GP guild that has a bunch of inactive members and/or outdated rosters.