Thoughts On Disney & Sonys Split Up

SemiGod
1381 posts Member
What are your guys' thoughts on this whole matter.

I personally think it sucks we arent going to be able to see Spider Man / Tom Holland in the MCU anymore.

Replies

• SemiGod wrote: »
    What are your guys' thoughts on this whole matter.

I personally think it sucks we arent going to be able to see Spider Man / Tom Holland in the MCU anymore.

It is going to make the future of the MCU more complicated. Spider-Man has become a bigger part of the universe. Last I read today, was that there may be a chance for them to work out a deal. But I think after Endgame, and the story line being unknown, I am not sure how things will go. I liked the MCU so far.
  • I personally think that both sides are just "playing the game" right now and trying to get public support in their favor to gather leverage for negotiations.

I can see why Sony doesn't want to accept Disney's terms, since they're wanting a HUGE percentage increase from their previous deal. At the same time, I can see why Disney wants an increase. Their inclusion of Spiderman in the MCU has exponentially increased that IP's value and he was likely going to turn into the face of the MCU in these next phases of movies, which would increase their value even more!

Hopefully they will come to a compromise, because as of now there are no winners here. The general consensus is that the MCU Spider-man is great and their young core of talent could carry the franchise for years to come. I'm sure no one wants to see Tom Holland's version go the way of Andrew Garfield's version.
  • It's sad for Tom Holland's Spiderman - he is by far the cutest guy to have the role - but it's probably good for the market. More competition and such.

Might even be that, after the success of Into the Spiderverse, Sony think they have a direction for the character.

Disneyrvel can console themselves by consuming and assimilating the x-men and the fantastic four.
  • Wolverine has to lead the avengers at some point! lol.

I think it is a combination of publicity and posturing.
  • willennium wrote: »

I can see why Sony doesn't want to accept Disney's terms, since they're wanting a HUGE percentage increase from their previous deal.

I can’t find exact numbers anywhere. I keep seeing people say that Disney wanted an increase from 5 to 50%, but that is incorrect. They wanted a co-finance 50/50 split, which means Disney would be paying half the expenses as well. They were currently getting 5% first dollar gross, which is something completely different, and includes no expenses paid from Disney.

Has anyone actually run a comparison to see what those numbers work out to on the previous films?
  • SemiGod
    1381 posts Member
    willennium wrote: »

I can see why Sony doesn't want to accept Disney's terms, since they're wanting a HUGE percentage increase from their previous deal.

I can’t find exact numbers anywhere. I keep seeing people say that Disney wanted an increase from 5 to 50%, but that is incorrect. They wanted a co-finance 50/50 split, which means Disney would be paying half the expenses as well. They were currently getting 5% first dollar gross, which is something completely different, and includes no expenses paid from Disney.

Has anyone actually run a comparison to see what those numbers work out to on the previous films?

Well I don't fully know the numbers but what I do know is that if spiderman wasnt in the MCU, the films don't make a lot of money.
  • The way the MCU is going it doesnt even faze me. Think I am out.
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    The way the MCU is going it doesnt even faze me. Think I am out.

Honestly, I think this could be the turn towards the downward spiral. Endgame was really good. I don't know how they can top the infinity saga. I know the comic books are a treasure trove of plots, but are the executives going to fall into the same old rut of we established a golden calf, now how can we make more money? Personally, unless they can pull a magic rabbit out of a hat, or other unmentionable location(s), I think this is the perfect spot to stop. The fanboy in me wants more though. I think Ian Malcom sums it up perfectly, they were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.