what do you tell new players?

Prev1
Imagine you're a new player and you want to farm Shark Teeth, or maybe the iconic B1 battle droid, you can't do it off the bat because they are in fleet nodes. How sad it would be to start the game now, not being able to start farming B, yes B squads from day one. You want GG and Separatist droids, well you can't because droideka and B1 can't be farmed until you can beat the nodes. You wanna get a strong BH team, same with Jango, Embo and Bossk, Shark Tee, nope not her either.

You don't realize this but you're screwing new players like this, these squads should not be hard to farm for new players. I am not saying give them Revan first thing, or give them Padme, but S-T, BH, Separatist droids, those should be easy store farms that anyone can do and there's need to keep them locked behind months of hard node farming, not to mention new players have to first unlock these nodes and beat them. If only you guys knew what you were doing...

Replies

• Not so subtle way of asking for an easier farm location for Shaak Ti.

And GG does not belong on the B-Squad list.
  • Why should new players get what they want straight away?
    Why does 'wanting' something give it merit? New players probably want 5mil GP and all the characters at 7* for free.
  • But all new players are in the same boat, so there’s no issue.

They’re not competing with The Average FTP player like you, so these toons taking longer to farm is not a problem.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Wow isnt it crazy how you have to work to get items in a game that is designed to have players slowly progress?

It's honestly like the developers don't want everyone to have every single character G13 and fully Zetad right off of the bat.

Hmm I guess we will just never know why.
  • As @Daddyngo007 said, the game is all about choices, pay for the newest toons or pick from the rest. There are plenty of good guides out there and I've seen plenty of people out there with a low gp but incredibly focused teams, including malak.
  • Lysandrax wrote: »
    Why should new players get what they want straight away?
    Why does 'wanting' something give it merit? New players probably want 5mil GP and all the characters at 7* for free.

Because we’re already heavily invested and have been for a number of years. We’re also a dying breed and there will always be a need to attract new players to ensure the game survives.

The alternative is probably what we’re seeing now, which is ripping off your invested players to keep the revenue stream flowing.

You’re not going to get those hard mode toons without first investing a ton of time or cash into building your fleet so yes, new players need faster ways to grind and quicker ways to obtain the more attractive toons.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Versatti wrote: »
    Lysandrax wrote: »

Because we’re already heavily invested and have been for a number of years.

Maybe look up the definition of "New"

Because you don't qualify as a "New Player"
  • Versatti wrote: »

Because we’re already heavily invested and have been for a number of years. We’re also a dying breed and there will always be a need to attract new players to ensure the game survives.

The alternative is probably what we’re seeing now, which is ripping off your invested players to keep the revenue stream flowing.

You’re not going to get those hard mode toons without first investing a ton of time or cash into building your fleet so yes, new players need faster ways to grind and quicker ways to obtain the more attractive toons.

If only there was a media platform that could attract people to this game every year when they have ample leisure time...
  • SemiGod wrote: »
    Wow isnt it crazy how you have to work to get items in a game that is designed to have players slowly progress?

It's honestly like the developers don't want everyone to have every single character G13 and fully Zetad right off of the bat.

Wow way to take things out of context AGAIN, not surprising, there's always a few people in every post who do this.

So can you point out where I said they need to have EVERYTHING "straight away", or "right off the bat". I think if you have a basic intelligence you can understand that if you farm one thing from a store, it means you can't farm something else correct? So if let's say Shaak Ti was in arena store, you still have to CHOOSE her between all the other characters that you don't have if you're a new player, which means you need to make CHOICES, and you can't have EVERYTHING straight away.

I was talking about players ability to choose to farm these squads before the game forces them to go through the garbage that we once used to farm. For example, maybe they want to skip some of the characters in the stores to go straight for Clones an Shaak Ti, this means they had to give up on some other faction. This would drastically improve diversity in arena and GA for new players who can pick through a multitude of squads which for a veteran player they wouldn't be considered meta but for the new guy it would be very strong. Imagine if new players could actually pick GG, or Clones and go up against each other in arena using these squads which isn't possible in high GP veteran shards who have Revans and Malak.

So before you take my words out of context, use the head your body provides and read what I actually said.
  • SemiGod wrote: »

Wow way to take things out of context AGAIN, not surprising, there's always a few people in every post who do this.

So can you point out where I said they need to have EVERYTHING "straight away", or "right off the bat". I think if you have a basic intelligence you can understand that if you farm one thing from a store, it means you can't farm something else correct? So if let's say Shaak Ti was in arena store, you still have to CHOOSE her between all the other characters that you don't have if you're a new player, which means you need to make CHOICES, and you can't have EVERYTHING straight away.

I was talking about players ability to choose to farm these squads before the game forces them to go through the garbage that we once used to farm. For example, maybe they want to skip some of the characters in the stores to go straight for Clones an Shaak Ti, this means they had to give up on some other faction. This would drastically improve diversity in arena and GA for new players who can pick through a multitude of squads which for a veteran player they wouldn't be considered meta but for the new guy it would be very strong. Imagine if new players could actually pick GG, or Clones and go up against each other in arena using these squads which isn't possible in high GP veteran shards who have Revans and Malak.

So before you take my words out of context, use the head your body provides and read what I actually said.

First of all, a new player who's gunning for a GG out of the gate is just kidding themselves, horrible point to make there.

You shift your position in this one a bit more to "how is a new player supposed to farm all this at once."
    Well, you shouldnt. In most games you generally need to improve yourself (or your avatar) before you can get the best stuff in the game. If you just had access to OP things at the start then the entire game becomes trivial.
    Also how is diversifying the meta for players for the first 3 months of the game relevant to anything?
    I feel like your assuming the position of a new player to lend leverage to your idea that big shaq shouldnt have gone on a stage 5 hard fleet node, which very easy anyway.

They’re not competing with The Average FTP player like you, so these toons taking longer to farm is not a problem.

Have you considered the possibility that new players just want to use the new characters and not the old ones? Why should I have to farm rogue one and not just entirely skip it if I'm a new player? Or why even bother with Palpatine, or even Thrawn and the Phoenix, they are old content for some maybe boring and they just don't want to invest in them at all. Maybe they just wanna go straight for Clones and Separatists cause they like the clone wars content and they don't wanna wait years before they can enjoy it. Eve if that means skipping characters like 3PO and CLS.

I think the game would be much better if it was like a tree where you start at a different branch and explore a different part of it, instead of being like a spiral where you have to follow a certain path and go through too much trash to get where you want to go. I don't think new players should be forced to follow on our footsteps and go through a strict path to get to where we're at, instead they need to make their own shortcuts to where we are which if course it means they must leave some things behind, that's they price they pay for being late to the party, but regardless they should have the ability to choose where they want to be. If they wanna focus more on sequels and go the traditional route, Palpatine, CLS, 3Po Chewie, Falcon, then that's their choice, but maybe they just wanna skip all that and just straight into clone wars and Bounty Hunters, Clones, Seppies. Or maybe they wanna jump into the new trilogy and go Rey/Kylo. They need the choices, that is my point
    SemiGod wrote: »

First of all, a new player who's gunning for a GG out of the gate is just kidding themselves, horrible point to make there.

You shift your position in this one a bit more to "how is a new player supposed to farm all this at once."
    Well, you shouldnt. In most games you generally need to improve yourself (or your avatar) before you can get the best stuff in the game. If you just had access to OP things at the start then the entire game becomes trivial.
    Also how is diversifying the meta for players for the first 3 months of the game relevant to anything?
    I feel like your assuming the position of a new player to lend leverage to your idea that big shaq shouldnt have gone on a stage 5 hard fleet node, which very easy anyway.

Read my response to Darjelo. Also idk why it should be hard to go straight for GG, especially since g13 is where he really shines and most new players wouldn't even be able to to get him to g13. Also how did you determine these are the "best stuff in the game"? I mean you can farm CLS very quickly and he can destroy GG besides g13, you can farm Palpatine and Thrawn very quickly and they can easily take out Padme. You can farm Rey and bb8 relatively quickly and they destroy Bounty Hunters, you can get Geo's very quickly and they beat almost everything. So why is locking ShaaK Ti and Separatist droids behind these fleet nodes any different and why does it make sense?

Have you considered the possibility that new players just want to use the new characters and not the old ones? Why should I have to farm rogue one and not just entirely skip it if I'm a new player? Or why even bother with Palpatine, or even Thrawn and the Phoenix, they are old content for some maybe boring and they just don't want to invest in them at all. Maybe they just wanna go straight for Clones and Separatists cause they like the clone wars content and they don't wanna wait years before they can enjoy it. Eve if that means skipping characters like 3PO and CLS.

I think the game would be much better if it was like a tree where you start at a different branch and explore a different part of it, instead of being like a spiral where you have to follow a certain path and go through too much trash to get where you want to go. I don't think new players should be forced to follow on our footsteps and go through a strict path to get to where we're at, instead they need to make their own shortcuts to where we are which if course it means they must leave some things behind, that's they price they pay for being late to the party, but regardless they should have the ability to choose where they want to be. If they wanna focus more on sequels and go the traditional route, Palpatine, CLS, 3Po Chewie, Falcon, then that's their choice, but maybe they just wanna skip all that and just straight into clone wars and Bounty Hunters, Clones, Seppies. Or maybe they wanna jump into the new trilogy and go Rey/Kylo. They need the choices, that is my point
    In what way do they not have choices?

Read my response to Darjelo. Also idk why it should be hard to go straight for GG, especially since g13 is where he really shines and most new players wouldn't even be able to to get him to g13. Also how did you determine these are the "best stuff in the game"? I mean you can farm CLS very quickly and he can destroy GG besides g13, you can farm Palpatine and Thrawn very quickly and they can easily take out Padme. You can farm Rey and bb8 relatively quickly and they destroy Bounty Hunters, you can get Geo's very quickly and they beat almost everything. So why is locking ShaaK Ti and Separatist droids behind these fleet nodes any different and why does it make sense?

Read Darjelos response to you.
    Also please tell me how new starters get GG with such ease, you must know more than i.
    "CLS can destroy GG," good luck with that post rework.

How a (Edit: one of these) posts works:
    I can't understand why CG doesn't give me X for less investment?
    Does CG not care about how Y affects Z??

New players need to rely on the stores since any energy node is going to take a while for just 1 character. The stores have stagnated with old content for months, characters who have been there for years and some are completely useless at this point, but since they have nothing new to farm, they use their resources on old content. The average hard node farm takes approximately 2-4 times longer than a store which means they'll get around 10 store characters before they can even have a single hard node character. By the time they have enough hard node characters for a couple of decent new squads they will have farmed too much trash from the stores, which is just waisted time.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Yep, I feel bad for new players, there are so many cool things they will simply never get. Considering that the default release mode are hard nodes and the average farm takes half a year, the game will probably die before they get to farm teams out of interest rather than necessity. The decision to kill the stores is slowly killing the whole game.

Read Darjelos response to you.
    Also please tell me how new starters get GG with such ease, you must know more than i.
    "CLS can destroy GG," good luck with that post rework.

How a Baldinghead post works:
    I can't understand why CG doesn't give me X for less investment?
    Does CG not care about how Y affects Z??

Or maybe Balding head has an alt account which is new, or maybe Balding head isn't a selfish ****. Which honestly I am, but I also think about other people sometimes and guess what, I don't even care about Shaak Ti which isn't even that great of a character in my opinion, which is why I think it's a waste of fleet energy so I may skip her altogether.

Balding Head actually thinks about the impact that certain decisions have in the game and honestly Shaak Ti is trash and nobody is going to use her anyways, but she won't be the only character released with clone wars and I hope the others won't end up in the same place, so I'm trying to change some minds about this now.

Idk, Balding head just wants Balding head to have fun and not have to grind for 6 months on a hard node, but that's just unreasonable because we have 3 stores who aren't used and that makes alot of sense
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Yep, I feel bad for new players, there are so many cool things they will simply never get. Considering that the default release mode are hard nodes and the average farm takes half a year, the game will probably die before they get to farm teams out of interest rather than necessity. The decision to kill the stores is slowly killing the whole game.

Someone who actually understands, feelsgoodman. Greed is killing the games, like you said, killing the stores has a huge impact but as long and the whales control the game having 6 month farms is preferable since they won't have to wait that long.
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Imagine you're a new player and you want to farm Shark Teeth, or maybe the iconic B1 battle droid, you can't do it off the bat because they are in fleet nodes. How sad it would be to start the game now, not being able to start farming B, yes B squads from day one. You want GG and Separatist droids, well you can't because droideka and B1 can't be farmed until you can beat the nodes. You wanna get a strong BH team, same with Jango, Embo and Bossk, Shark Tee, nope not her either.

You do realise that at launch players could not farm OB, Leia, Kit and some (now) ridiculously easy to access toons, at all? Chromium or nothing.

I honestly don't see a problem with a player that started today not having direct access to Bossk, ST and other newer toons.

New players need to rely on the stores since any energy node is going to take a while for just 1 character. The stores have stagnated with old content for months, characters who have been there for years and some are completely useless at this point, but since they have nothing new to farm, they use their resources on old content. The average hard node farm takes approximately 2-4 times longer than a store which means they'll get around 10 store characters before they can even have a single hard node character. By the time they have enough hard node characters for a couple of decent new squads they will have farmed too much trash from the stores, which is just waisted time.

You come across very considerate and altruistic @BaldingHead90 , but I don’t think there’s any coincidence that the proposal you have for the stores would simultaneously make things easier for you.

I actually don’t disagree that the stores should get new toons. But it should be toons like Shoretrooper, Bossk, the vets going in there, not the most recent Marquee toon.

Expecting Shaak-Ti to go in a store is naive and fanciful. She’s the latest release, has an obvious role ahead of her in LSGeoTB, and we will all need to grind (or spend) to get her.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Imagine just having bought NFS III and wanting to have ill nino! The horror !
    I'd tell them they'll get there eventually. Like @RandomSithLord pointed out, when i started playing there were p2p exclusive toons you could only get with crystals while the crystal income was way lower back then. Players currently probably have easier/faster access to Shaak Ti than i had to toons like rex, maul, leia and Old ben. On top of that they have a clear indication on when they will be able farm them unlike i did back then, p2p toons could have remained p2p indefinately for all we knew. Didn't stop me from enjoying the game though.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    But all new players are in the same boat, so there’s no issue.

You come across very considerate and altruistic @BaldingHead90 , but I don’t think there’s any coincidence that the proposal you have for the stores would simultaneously make things easier for you.

I actually don’t disagree that the stores should get new toons. But it should be toons like Shoretrooper, Bossk, the vets going in there, not the most recent Marquee toon.

Expecting Shaak-Ti to go in a store is naive and fanciful. She’s the latest release, has an obvious role ahead of her in LSGeoTB, and we will all need to grind (or spend) to get her.

Well, yeah, making things easier for new players makes them easier for everyone. Also, Shaak Ti being needed in TB is part of the problem. We could farm Alpha in a reasonable amount of time, but if she is needed in a similar fashion, it will be half a year before we can hope to start completing specials. Half a year or a ridiculous amount of cash...
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    "what do you tell new players?"

I tell them to play the game and to not always look to those who are years ahead because they will most likely never have to do anything with them.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • If I were a new player I wouldn't mind that there are some nice characters I wouldn't be able to farm early in the game. On the contrary, I find it exciting when there are goals to work towards. Having to improve my roster, to be able to 3* a certain difficult node is one of the things I used to like about this game. For instance unlocking the light side Baze node was quite challenging in the early days, and it was awesome to work towards this goal and finally beat it. I've 3*ed all nodes a long time ago though, so that part of the game is over unfortunately.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    plindboe wrote: »
    If I were a new player I wouldn't mind that there are some nice characters I wouldn't be able to farm early in the game. On the contrary, I find it exciting when there are goals to work towards. Having to improve my roster, to be able to 3* a certain difficult node is one of the things I used to like about this game. For instance unlocking the light side Baze node was quite challenging in the early days, and it was awesome to work towards this goal and finally beat it. I've 3*ed all nodes a long time ago though, so that part of the game is over unfortunately.

How about some nice characters you wouldn't be able to farm ever? Heck, there are characters I, as a veteran, will never 7*.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    If I were a new player I wouldn't mind that there are some nice characters I wouldn't be able to farm early in the game. On the contrary, I find it exciting when there are goals to work towards. Having to improve my roster, to be able to 3* a certain difficult node is one of the things I used to like about this game. For instance unlocking the light side Baze node was quite challenging in the early days, and it was awesome to work towards this goal and finally beat it. I've 3*ed all nodes a long time ago though, so that part of the game is over unfortunately.

How about some nice characters you wouldn't be able to farm ever? Heck, there are characters I, as a veteran, will never 7*.

name 1 character you like but aren't able to 7*?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

Baze, just off the top of my head. Then there are characters like Lobot or Urrrr, but those are good mostly for platoons. There are too many energy sinks to 7* everything and they keep adding.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

Baze, just off the top of my head. Then there are characters like Lobot or Urrrr, but those are good mostly for platoons. There are too many energy sinks to 7* everything and they keep adding.

But you still have the ability to. You are choosing not to.