Why does more GP win at draw in GAC?

Prev1
Dear CG.. What is your intention to do such stupid things? Your matchmaking is still questionable .. but its another story.. but this regulation, that the stronger player wins a draw, that is so silly, I have no words for it.. Shouldn t the weaker player be rewarded, that he managed it, to get the same amount of banners, as a player with for ex. 100k more GP ?! Isnt that the more commendable performance than getting same result with much more ressources than the weaker player ??? Why do you reward the stronger player to be less efficient than the weaker one??
I have no understanding for that..

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited September 2019

It's got nothing to do with who performed better. If they are using matchmaking GP as the tiebreaker, it will be almost as random as a coin flip. Whether you have the (slightly) higher matchmaking GP or your opponent does is random - unless you have the absolutely highest/lowest matchmaking GP within your division/league.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    It is arbitrary but it is not even close to random. The highest GP player in a bracket has 100% chance to win any draw, the lowest player has 0% chance and the rest are somewhere in-between. If it were random, every player within the bracket would have a 50% chance to win a draw.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    .... - unless you have the absolutely highest/lowest matchmaking GP within your division/league.

• In a drag race draw, one car 500HP one with 600HP.. Which driver performed better? The one in the more powerful car? Hardly... When two brokers earn $1M in 1 week, one started with $500k the other with $600k. Which one did the better job?! Could continue this list.. but I think the point is clear: That silly system makes the better player lose!!! This is an untenable condition! CG should change this immediately.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Halx wrote: »
    In a drag race draw, one car 500HP one with 600HP.. Which driver performed better? The one in the more powerful car? Hardly... When two brokers earn $1M in 1 week, one started with $500k the other with $600k. Which one did the better job?! Could continue this list.. but I think the point is clear: That silly system makes the better player lose!!! This is an untenable condition! CG should change this immediately.

Better player? One might argue, that the better player is the one, who collected the larger (higher GP) roster.

This tiebreaker has nothing to do with being the better (or worse) player. Both players performed equally well.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    In a drag race draw, one car 500HP one with 600HP.. Which driver performed better? The one in the more powerful car? Hardly...

Well, somehow he ended up driving the higher HP car. He did something in between races to end up in the higher HP car. Preparations are part of the race as well.

You don't give Fernando Alonso the trophy, because he's driving a McLaren and not a Mercedes. You don't give the trophy to the driver of the day. You give the trophy to whoever gets the checkered flag first.

• Waqui wrote: »

Better player? One might argue, that the better player is the one, who collected the larger (higher GP) roster.

This tiebreaker has nothing to do with being the better (or worse) player. Both players performed equally well.

Thats nonsense.. To collect a higher roster has nothing to do with being a good player.. Some players collect 3M in 6 Month other in 4 years.. some earned their GP by playing good and being on 1st in both arenas, others only spent a lot of cash. Spending money is not a performance..
    To get an equal result with less ressources, THAT is a performance.

And your example is also wrong: noone gets the flag first in a draw.. Look at soccer cups: at a draw, the team with more goals in the away match wins, cause they performed better.. its harder to shoot goals in a foreign arena.. and its harder to get banners with lower GP, so the one with less gp is better and should win. . Easy to understand.
  • If someone has a higher GP than someone else than they have put more work into their roster than the other person, period. Maybe just a minuscule amount more, maybe over a larger period of time. Either way, more work was put into it.

So appearance itself is often considered a virtue, especially in western (capitalist societies). Star Wars is a capitalist past, so things related to it should also care about appearances.

The Mr. Universe contest isn't only judged by how much weight you can lift, but by how you look doing it.

While there is some merit in talking about a more focused roster if you tie with lower GP, your account won't look as pretty as the high GP account.

CG's whole goal is to get us to constantly have to improve and grow to stay competitive. The idea that they would switch a game mode so that it would reward the lower GP is laughable. No, they want us all upgrading every character they come out with all the way. Why would they punish us for doing so?

"Finally got all my characters fully geared, now I will never win another tie in GA"

Just give it up man, this is a bad idea and it won't happen.
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    It's got nothing to do with who performed better. If they are using matchmaking GP as the tiebreaker, it will be almost as random as a coin flip. Whether you have the (slightly) higher matchmaking GP or your opponent does is random - unless you have the absolutely highest/lowest matchmaking GP within your division/league.

The only person with 50/50 odds in that case would be the "fictional" account that's squarely in the middle. As it's an even number, your chances are either higher or lower depending on where you fall. Ties should go to number of attempts first, then on to other stats that were generated by the GAC itself. Not set in stone before anyone ever placed anything. If you already know you'll win any tie breaker that ever comes up, and another person knows they will lose every tie breaker that comes up, it stops being a tie breaker and becomes part of the strategy which I don't believe is what the devs intended.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    ZAP wrote: »

The only person with 50/50 odds in that case would be the "fictional" account that's squarely in the middle. As it's an even number, your chances are either higher or lower depending on where you fall. Ties should go to number of attempts first, then on to other stats that were generated by the GAC itself. Not set in stone before anyone ever placed anything. If you already know you'll win any tie breaker that ever comes up, and another person knows they will lose every tie breaker that comes up, it stops being a tie breaker and becomes part of the strategy which I don't believe is what the devs intended.

I think the devs just took the easy way on this one. I’ve had one tie since GAC began and I won it based on slightly more matchmaking GP, I certainly didn’t deserve it.

I agree. From a coding perspective it's **much** easier to just jot down quick-n-dirty if/then statements or their equivalent comparing GP and award the win to the highest, but you'd think that upgrading it to if/then/else/else* would be fairly easy once they figured out what stats they want to place emphasis on. Assuming they actually want to.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

But they aren't using matchmaking GP anymore. They switched it to full GP.
  • Doesn't really matter which existing GP value they use, it's still arbitrary and opaque.

Might as well use a coin-flip if you just want a simple solution.

If you want to do it properly then the player who deployed less GP (offense + defense) performed better and you can track those numbers and display them on the win-loss screen.

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter which existing GP value they use, it's still arbitrary and opaque.

It does matter though. When it was matchmaking GP, it basically was the equivalent of a coin flip, and any individual was arbitrarily likely to be at the top, bottom, or middle of his bracket each time. With total GP that's not true at all. There is a certain distribution of total GP across any given set of people likely to be paired by matchmaking GP. If I am towards the bottom of that distribution (i.e. I have a low total GP among people with my top 80 GP), I am likely to be at or near the bottom of my bracket every single time. It never evens out.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Thats nonsense.. To collect a higher roster has nothing to do with being a good player..

Building your roster is part of the game. Having high GP benefits you in some cases. Again:

One might argue, that the better player is the one, who collected the larger (higher GP) roster.
    Some players collect 3M in 6 Month other in 4 years.. some earned their GP by playing good and being on 1st in both arenas, others only spent a lot of cash. Spending money is not a performance..
    To get an equal result with less ressources, THAT is a performance.

Nonsense. Spending cash is also a perfectly viable option in the game. Two sprinters tieing in a race performed equally well, disregarding whether one is an amateur while the other is a professional and disregarding whether one spent cash to have professional coaches and the other didn't.

You may respect one more than the other, but their performances are equal.
    its harder to shoot goals in a foreign arena.. and its harder to get banners with lower GP, so the one with less gp is better and should win. . Easy to understand.

It may be harder, yes, but that's not the issue here. Building your roster is part of the game. Better players build better rosters. Easy to understand..

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member

The only person with 50/50 odds in that case would be the "fictional" account that's squarely in the middle. As it's an even number, your chances are either higher or lower depending on where you fall.

That depends highly on how the matchmaking algorithm works. Please enlighten us all, if you know the odds of being matched against a player with less/equal/more GP.
    Ties should go to number of attempts first, then on to other stats that were generated by the GAC itself.

Why?
    Not set in stone before anyone ever placed anything. If you already know you'll win any tie breaker that ever comes up, and another person knows they will lose every tie breaker that comes up, it stops being a tie breaker and becomes part of the strategy which I don't believe is what the devs intended.

It's no different than the tiebreaker in raids.

The only person with 50/50 odds in that case would be the "fictional" account that's squarely in the middle. As it's an even number, your chances are either higher or lower depending on where you fall.

That depends highly on how the matchmaking algorithm works. Please enlighten us all, if you know the odds of being matched against a player with less/equal/more GP.
    Ties should go to number of attempts first, then on to other stats that were generated by the GAC itself.

Why?
    Not set in stone before anyone ever placed anything. If you already know you'll win any tie breaker that ever comes up, and another person knows they will lose every tie breaker that comes up, it stops being a tie breaker and becomes part of the strategy which I don't believe is what the devs intended.

If you're in the bottom half of whatever subset they use, you're likely matched against larger GP.

Why? Because it's the GAC, Seems to reason that things that happen within the GAC should be what's being measured.

Yes. And it's still just lazy.

Why?

If you're in the bottom half of whatever subset they use, you're likely matched against larger GP.

And which subset are those? And how are players from the bottom half of the subset matched? 4 players from each half?

Why? Because it's the GAC, Seems to reason that things that happen within the GAC should be what's being measured.

If this would be the case, we should all have access to the exact same roster in GACs.

Of course how you build your personal roster affects your performance in GAC. What else did you expect?

Why?

And which subset are those? And how are players from the bottom half of the subset matched? 4 players from each half?

If this would be the case, we should all have access to the exact same roster in GACs.

Of course how you build your personal roster affects your performance in GAC. What else did you expect?

*eye-roll*

If you're in the bottom 50% of whoever you're paired against, and it always comes down to a tie you will lose more than half the time over the long haul. You may get away with a extra win here and there, but over time statistically you'll lose more often. It doesn't matter how they choose the subset. If you're low man on the totem pole you lose all ties. If you the next one up, you'll lose every tie that's not against the first person, etc etc

So, if you and I both clear it with the same score, you really think overall GP is the best way to determine who the winner is? Yeah, because it wouldn't make any sense for it to be something like number of attempts->number of units used (in case of people not using a full squad) ->number of rounds total it took to win or something...ANYthing other than, oh look...I have the highest GP, all I have to do is tie everyone for the whole GAC. I could even get behind keeping it GP if there was a way to mask the GP of other so you can't compare them. It's not a tie breaker if you already know the outcome of all ties before the first battle, it's just another win condition.

I never said your roster shouldn't affect your performance....just that your performance should be what's measured.

This is like saying "The Yankees roster costs more, so they win any ties.... forget about extra innings, ain't nobody got time for that!!
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Odds are Yankees win anyway, so sounds like a perfect system.
  • Liath wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter which existing GP value they use, it's still arbitrary and opaque.

It does matter though. When it was matchmaking GP, it basically was the equivalent of a coin flip, and any individual was arbitrarily likely to be at the top, bottom, or middle of his bracket each time. With total GP that's not true at all. There is a certain distribution of total GP across any given set of people likely to be paired by matchmaking GP. If I am towards the bottom of that distribution (i.e. I have a low total GP among people with my top 80 GP), I am likely to be at or near the bottom of my bracket every single time. It never evens out.
    No, it doesn't matter because the effect is the same no matter which GP value you use:
    * the highest GP player in the bracket has 100% chance to win a tie
    * the lowest GP player has 0% chance
    * the remaining players are somewhere in-between
    * literally nobody in the bracket has a 50% chance to win a tie

That holds true whether the GP spread for the bracket is 10 or 10,000,000
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »

No, it doesn't matter because the effect is the same no matter which GP value you use:

None of that addresses what I said. Once you are in a bracket, what you said is true. But everybody does not have an equal chance of being the highest or lowest or middle GP player when a bracket is created. There are people that under this system will be in the top half of their brackets by GP 95% of the time and other people that will be in the bottom half of their brackets by GP 95% of the time. That is where the inequality comes into play, and it was not the case under the old system.

None of that addresses what I said. Once you are in a bracket, what you said is true. But everybody does not have an equal chance of being the highest or lowest or middle GP player when a bracket is created. There are people that under this system will be in the top half of their brackets by GP 95% of the time and other people that will be in the bottom half of their brackets by GP 95% of the time. That is where the inequality comes into play, and it was not the case under the old system.
    And I am saying that that does not matter because using any of the existing GP values is fundamentally flawed anyway.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

And I am saying that that does not matter because using any of the existing GP values is fundamentally flawed anyway.

And I am saying that it does matter because using a GP value that is functionally equivalent to a coin flip is more fair than one that is functionally equivalent to loaded dice.

And I am saying that it does matter because using a GP value that is functionally equivalent to a coin flip is more fair than one that is functionally equivalent to loaded dice.

Either way, you're flipping the coin before you begin the match. It's not a tie breaker, because it's not a tie. It's a win condition for the person with higher GP. It's not so much breaking any tie as saying you only have to match your opponent's score to win, while they have to best your score to win or vice versa
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited September 2019

*eye-roll*

If you're in the bottom 50% of whoever you're paired against, and it always comes down to a tie you will lose more than half the time over the long haul.

*facepalm*

That's obvious and completely besides the point. The point is, that the matchmaking algorithm decides, who you are matched with. You may be in the bottom half of your league, but that doesn't necessarily mean, that you will be in the bottom half of your group of 8. It depends on the matchmaking algorithm.
    So, if you and I both clear it with the same score, you really think overall GP is the best way to determine who the winner is?

It works for me. "best"? Please define, what you mean by "best". Best in what way?
    Yeah, because it wouldn't make any sense for it to be something like number of attempts->number of units used (in case of people not using a full squad) ->number of rounds total it took to win or something...

Those numbers are all reflected in the total score. If you're ahead on one, you may be behind on another (you tied, remember?)
    ANYthing other than, oh look...I have the highest GP, all I have to do is tie everyone for the whole GAC.

It could be used that way, yes, but how is that any different than knowing the order in case of ties beforehand in a raid? It's given by the order after everyone joined, which works for me as well.
    I never said your roster shouldn't affect your performance....just that your performance should be what's measured.

And building your roster is part of that performance.
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    That's obvious and completely besides the point. The point is, that the matchmaking algorithm decides, who you are matched with. You may be in the bottom half of your league, but that doesn't necessarily mean, that you will be in the bottom half of your group of 8. It depends on the matchmaking algorithm.

As I said...how you get into the group of 8 doesn't matter. If you're at the bottom of it, you'll lose any tie. If you're the second lowest, you'll lose every tie unless you get matched against the account with the lowest.. Why do you insist on re-hashing how you get assigned to the group of 8? It doesn't matter.
    It works for me. "best"? Please define, what you mean by "best". Best in what way?

Best way to determine the winner of a tie as in, not before the game is even played. It's disingenuous to even call it a tie breaker if the outcome of the tie breaker is already known beforehand. It's just one more win condition for the higher GP, and an extra losing condition for the lower GP.
    Those numbers are all reflected in the total score. If you're ahead on one, you may be behind on another (you tied, remember?)

Some of them (number of toons) are, others (number of rounds of fighting it took) are not.
    It could be used that way, yes, but how is that any different than knowing the order in case of ties beforehand in a raid? It's given by the order after everyone joined, which works for me as well.

The same way a season game is different than an off-season game. The raid doesn't affect my standings in a game-wide competition.

No. Building your roster can help you by giving you a better pool of resources from which to choose, but it's not a part of how well you performed in a GAC. You didn't "perform better" just because you have more people siting unused on your bench.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    No. Building your roster can help you by giving you a better pool of resources from which to choose, but it's not a part of how well you performed in a GAC. You didn't "perform better" just because you have more people siting unused on your bench.

It's a tie breaker based on your overall game performance. This is a collection game. The closer you are to having everything maxed, the closer you are to having "beat" the game.

It's true this isn't GAC performance, but it is based on performance in general. This kind of a tie breaker is common in competitive arenas (well this way of thinking for a tie breaker). If someone goes up for the heavyweight title belt in boxing and it comes down to a tie, the reigning champion is declared the winner. Not because of his performance in that fight, but because his career is more impressive more or less. This is better in several ways.

It's harder to get to the top than it is to stay there. This is the type of idea that makes games work. It's how they become challenging. Then there's the concepts of exclusivity and rarity. The easiest way to make the average person want something is to tell them they can't have it. This way of thinking all ties in here too.

Really it just makes no sense from so many competitive standpoints to make it the lower GP.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited September 2019

As I said...how you get into the group of 8 doesn't matter. If you're at the bottom of it, you'll lose any tie. If you're the second lowest, you'll lose every tie unless you get matched against the account with the lowest.

This is obvious and STILL completely irrelevant to our discission. I don't intend to waste any more bandwidth on this.

Best way to determine the winner of a tie as in, not before the game is even played. It's disingenuous to even call it a tie breaker if the outcome of the tie breaker is already known beforehand. It's just one more win condition for the higher GP, and an extra losing condition for the lower GP.

Some of them (number of toons) are, others (number of rounds of fighting it took) are not.

The same way a season game is different than an off-season game. The raid doesn't affect my standings in a game-wide competition.

*facepalm*

I never claimed it did.

Building your roster in-between GACs is part of it just like training in between sports competitions to improve your physical abilities is part of your performance in competitions.

*edited*
    Two sprinters tieing a 100m sprint on 10.00 perform equally well, disregarding whether one is more fit and trained than the other. The less fit/trained sprinter apparently has some other skill/ability to make up for being less fit, but he doesn't perform better, nonetheless. Both sprinters perform equally well.
    Post edited by Waqui on