Had a great run going....DON'T get your hopes up F2P

Here's the bottom line: the deck is heavily stacked against F2P. Period. (obvious statement - no comments needed here)

Here's the Surprising bottom line: there are no EVEN PLAYING FIELDS in PvP SWGOH...not even the much vaunted GAC....its ALL strictly P2W.

Sour grapes note. after ranking #6 in Division 4 after three weeks and 1 of the 3 battles in the final week 4, the odds finally caught up to me in battle #2.

Very disappointed and slightly ticked off...thought I could place in the top 25 through skill and veracity as a F2P player. Rude awakening in a P2W game that tried to SELL all the F2P players that they had a shot at GAC where your opponents are based on algorithms that purport to find equal strengths of rosters.

I beat quite a few whales along the way that simply were poor players with fancy shiny G13 meta toons.

I just got beat by 10 points...to an inferior whale player that paid for a roster which is vastly superior to mine. His GP and even his squad GP are very close to mine, but that's where the comparison stops...

Note: I based my opinion of my opponent as an "inferior player" to me based solely on two objective factors: 1) He has a much strong roster than mine, but 2) is only sitting at 24,854 points in DIV 4 compared to my 30,688 points

Fairly Even Matchup Note:
GP: (squad only) 1.661m to my 1,676m
GW battles won: 6497 to my 7073 (a crude measure of longevity of playing)
Relics: 0 to 0
Zetas: 39 to my 31
G13: 0 to 0
G12 27 to my 34
G11 25 to my 16
Speed Boost on top 3 Squads: 1462 to my 1399

UNEVEN MATCHUP ((Sour Grapes) Note:
3zDR and 2zMalak w/HK, SithT, FBastilla: yes and NO
2zTraya (Sion, Nihilus, EP Thrawn) yes and NO
zBrood Alpha with G11/12 Geos: yes and NO
zJTR (RTrooper, Rey, Finn, Bb8): yes and NO
zChirpa G11 Ewoks: yes and NO
3zJKR (standard squad): yes and yes
2zGG (all Sep droid squad): yes and yes
2zPadme: yes and yes
zBossk BH: yes and yes
zlead NS: yes and yes
zCls (Han, Chewie, R2, 3P0): yes and yes (no 3P0 sub Old Ben)
zKRU FO squad (yes and yes)

VASTLY UNEVEN MATCHUP (Whale Factor) Note:
Meta Lead Squads: **8 to my 4**
(Meta is defined here as: DR/Malak, JKR, JTR, Traya, GG, CLS, Brood Alpha, Padme)

Clearly a Whale who bought all the latest meta toons...
Clearly an UNEVEN Matchup...

He placed his DR/Malak and GG squads on D
I fought through his DEF and cleared the board
He WALKED through my DEF with his depth of meta squads

Clearly.....IF GAC is purported to be a "mostly" even playing field...I got screwed.
Clearly....GAC is NOT/NOT a fair or even semi-fair playing field...it is strictly P2W and just ANOTHER mechanism to reward those players paying big $.

Its really too bad. CG had a great opportunity to throw a bone to F2P players. Good rewards, Pride of being ranked high in a head to head "fair" matchup, etc. It could have been a great draw to keep F2P players excited about grinding out long farms and methodically gearing up meta squads.

GAC was billed as a fair matchup in-game feature, whose draw was to get the skilled players with F2P limited rosters to battle each other to see who is the best player. Turns out to actually be a basic brawl of who has the highest geared and most powerful Meta toons that they paid for.

signed,
very disappointed to hope that GAC was anything other than P2W....

Replies

• Options
    Yeup. Pretty much.
  • Options
    My experience doesn't match yours. I have found the matchups this round of GAC to be much more even than previous iterations.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    The dev have stated their idea of a fair matching system brings players to a 50% win ratio and they stated they are approaching that with the last change they did.

Fair doesnt mean you will be matched against someone with the same roster, just a similar investment in the top 80.
  • Options
    lol...I love it why Kyno responds with typical CG infospeak, such as, "similar investment in the top 80"

Ok, Kyno..(trying to suppress laughter at the gross ineptitude of your comment)

I spent less that $100 for my top 80....my opponent spent several thousand $ for his full on Meta top 80. Good for him. He wants to "Invest" in always winning since all aspects of the game are geared toward the most powerful roster wins.

However, in terms of GAC matchups, there is nothing inherently "fair" about two players with a $1000's spending gap in SWGOH.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    Just thank your opponent for funding the game.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    So you lost one match and now the game is totally P2W?
  • Options
    Every time I hear someone complaining about F2P being dead I chuckle.

Why?

Because what they are really saying is: "I made some wrong choices and didn't get the results I wanted, therefore CG is trying to get rid of everyone who doesn't spend money"

Now if you were to say that the entire KOTOR meta was a shameless cash grab that drove away loads of F2P players I'd agree with that.

But all the changes that have been made lately are F2P friendly IMO. Relics, gear placement and acquisition for lower gears, etc. I think all of it has made it a lot easier to choose your own path in SWGOH rather than being forced to take just one route. Now you don't have to be in a super high end guild to have a fully geared character any longer. Now you can take top ranks in arena without having super exclusive characters.

There's a concept that exclusivity and rareness bring about desire and work towards obtaining these exclusive or rare things. SWGOH is a master of pulling that out to gain a profit. In KOTOR META they took it way too far, but it is actually a necessity of the game to get people to spend money.

That moment as a F2P where you make that wrong decision and end up getting the bad results, that's what makes this game work. It's the only way to turn a profit. Failing is also a great motivator to just try harder or change your focus in general in gaming.

So if I was to put it all in a TLDR version, I'd have to say that getting frustrated over not taking the top in GAC is both purposeful on CG's part and ludicrous on yours. Thousands of active players in each division. Relatively even matchups. not having certain toons your opponent has more represents a choice on your part than poor game design by CG.

Frustration is necessary. It will lead to one of 3 things: Spending, Quitting, or changing your focus/gameplay/style. It's always been that way. F2P are better off now than they have been for a year. Take a few deep breaths and decide what you want to do about your own personal frustration at the circumstances you lead yourself into.
  • Options
    wait a minute op, are you saying that not only can someone with better toons beat you in arena, but now someone with a better roster can beat you in gac, which rewards a better roster?? this is shocking stuff indeed.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited September 2019
    Options
    lol...I love it why Kyno responds with typical CG infospeak, such as, "similar investment in the top 80"

I spent less that $100 for my top 80....my opponent spent several thousand $ for his full on Meta top 80. Good for him. He wants to "Invest" in always winning since all aspects of the game are geared toward the most powerful roster wins.

However, in terms of GAC matchups, there is nothing inherently "fair" about two players with a $1000's spending gap in SWGOH.

All GP is, is a measure of investment into a toon, and then a summation of that investment for the total. It has nothing to do with effectiveness in battle. CUP and Thrawn could be at the same GP and I can tell you who would be the more useful toon.

If you are matched, then no he didnt put 1000s into his top 80, he may have put that much into his whole roster, but you can only invest a certain amount in the limited number of toons they use for matchmaking.

If the matchmaking can produce an average of 50% win ratio for the large majority of players then yes it is inherently fair. What wouldnt be fair is if they had anything in the matchmaking that had anything to do with spending.

If a player started 1 year ago and you started day 1, that player could have put in 100s or 1000s and still only be "equal" to you, it doesnt mean that you cant win.

• Options
    I'm free to play and have plenty of fun and compete plenty in squad arena, TW, raids, and all aspects of this game.
    Don't know what your roster looks like, but this game is far from dead to f2p players. Might wanna join a better guild or do some homework on the meta , watch videos, don't over expend, work on a few toons at a time. IDK, but everyone has thier own style. If you don't like it anymore then quit or try something new.
    I don't pay and have plenty of fun with this game. I kinda get annoyed watch so many complain instead of just asking for help or quitting, it ruins it for new players that get sketched out because some people can't figure out how to enjoy this game without you complaining all the time.
    Just because your not #1-10 in your rankings doesn't mean the game sucks.
  • Options
    It's the final GA of the GAC. If you won all your rounds until then you will obviously be matched against stronger opponents. That's how leagues are intended to work. That's why you win better rewards in stronger leagues.

Yes, paying players pay to have an advantage. What did you expect?

• TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    It's the final GA of the GAC. If you won all your rounds until then you will obviously be matched against stronger opponents. That's how leagues are intended to work. That's why you win better rewards in stronger leagues.

Yes, paying players pay to have an advantage. What did you expect?

From what I've seen, most people complaining about matchups want automatic wins.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Won both of my last two GAC 3-round sets without JKR, DR, or Padme (have 1 and 3 but nowhere near leveled up or max, nowhere near getting DR). So I have no complaints. I fully expect to finish out of the top spot every time, so it's a nice surprise.

I'm in the finals on this one too.
  • Options

Is this true?
  • Options
    Demo1ition wrote: »

Is this true?

What part? You are matched within leagues so if you're in a higher league you are facing people who also won enough to make it to that league.
  • Options
    I thought it was the same pool throughout. It hadn't dawned on me that we were being adjusted as we went. I'm sure it's been made abundantly clear I just grasp things slower sometimes :)
  • Options
    Demo1ition wrote: »
    I thought it was the same pool throughout. It hadn't dawned on me that we were being adjusted as we went. I'm sure it's been made abundantly clear I just grasp things slower sometimes :)

Your division is set at the start. Within your division, you advance in leagues, and get matched within your league for each new GA event within the C.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

All GP is, is a measure of investment into a toon, and then a summation of that investment for the total. It has nothing to do with effectiveness in battle. CUP and Thrawn could be at the same GP and I can tell you who would be the more useful toon.

If you are matched, then no he didnt put 1000s into his top 80, he may have put that much into his whole roster, but you can only invest a certain amount in the limited number of toons they use for matchmaking.

If the matchmaking can produce an average of 50% win ratio for the large majority of players then yes it is inherently fair. What wouldnt be fair is if they had anything in the matchmaking that had anything to do with spending.

If a player started 1 year ago and you started day 1, that player could have put in 100s or 1000s and still only be "equal" to you, it doesnt mean that you cant win.

Monetary investments aside, the matchup the OP described does not yield a 50% win ratio. Most likely, every time the OP gets matched with a roster similar to what was described it will be a loss. If CG’s goal is truly to create fair matchups that yield a 50% win ratio, then these types of matchups need to be eliminated.

If they want to stick with GP as a matchup tool then they need to change the calculation for better toons and adjust the increase of GP when going to g13. Many people have mentioned that a maxed Jyn is the same GP as a maxed Malak, but those two are not equals.

Or CG could just be honest with a statement like “we want 50% win ratios, but we also want to reward people heavily for spending heavily. As such, the term 50% win ratio means that those that spend on meta toons will have higher win rates than those that don’t. However, the combined win rate will be 50%.” You know...since the total win rate is always 50% :smile:
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

I beat quite a few whales along the way ...

giphy.gif
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Fairly Even Matchup Note:
    GP: (squad only) 1.661m to my 1,676m
    GW battles won: 6497 to my 7073 (a crude measure of longevity of playing)
    Relics: 0 to 0
    Zetas: 39 to my 31
    G13: 0 to 0
    G12 27 to my 34
    G11 25 to my 16
    Speed Boost on top 3 Squads: 1462 to my 1399

UNEVEN MATCHUP ((Sour Grapes) Note:
    3zDR and 2zMalak w/HK, SithT, FBastilla: yes and NO
    2zTraya (Sion, Nihilus, EP Thrawn) yes and NO
    zBrood Alpha with G11/12 Geos: yes and NO
    zJTR (RTrooper, Rey, Finn, Bb8): yes and NO
    zChirpa G11 Ewoks: yes and NO
    3zJKR (standard squad): yes and yes
    2zGG (all Sep droid squad): yes and yes
    2zPadme: yes and yes
    zBossk BH: yes and yes
    zlead NS: yes and yes
    zCls (Han, Chewie, R2, 3P0): yes and yes (no 3P0 sub Old Ben)
    zKRU FO squad (yes and yes)

Clearly a Whale who bought all the latest meta toons...
    Clearly an UNEVEN Matchup...

I am confused, how is any of this proof that your opponent is "clearly a whale"? All of the Legendary and Journey characters are FTP friendly by now as they have all had multiple event runs. What whale would not have any G13 characters and less G12 than a F2P? This is just a focused roster (only farm for legendary/journey/PvP characters) who probably started late enough that they didn't need to spend too much time on the Hoth TB teams.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Ruark_Icefire
    856 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    TLDR summary: The OP didn't put in the effort necessary to develop his meta squads(all of which are obtainable F2P) and thinks he should be able to compete with the top of his division.