General Anakin Is F2P

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    JZ95 wrote: »
    And here is how everything gets justified, someone somewhere chose to farm Shaak Ti instead of all these other characters, someone somewhere got lucky and picked the right characters to farm because they are a fan of a certain era of star wars and now the get a free pass for the meta for 6 months.

Or alternatively, they planned ahead and now get to reap the benefits of said planning without having to pay a cent. I know i know, it's easier to think they just got lucky.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    JZ95 wrote: »
    And here is how everything gets justified, someone somewhere chose to farm Shaak Ti instead of all these other characters, someone somewhere got lucky and picked the right characters to farm because they are a fan of a certain era of star wars and now the get a free pass for the meta for 6 months.

Or alternatively, they planned ahead and now get to reap the benefits of said planning without having to pay a cent. I know i know, it's easier to think they just got lucky.

He probably doesn't understand that if everyone can get everything all the time, it defeats the purpose, especially for FTP... since when we compete with each other we compete with each other based on roster differences... and that a major problem this game has had is the monotony of combat and team development. I guess he wants a game that's more like doing the same battle, over and over again, against opponents who have the same exact toons you do...
  • Valeran wrote: »
    Everyone complaining about Anakins new event being P2W is so incorrect.

Let's see, T1, GR capital ship, regular ships & anakins ETA.

Everything here including anakin's ETA has been F2P for quite some time now and you cant scream "P2W!!!" When the ship has been out for ages and the rest being F2P GR.

All the GR pilots are useful and somewhat meta characters as well. On top of that, unlocking the Negotiator at 7* is practically impossible for even whales meaning Mace Windu would be used for this event.

T2: Ahsoka, GK, Padmé, Shaak Ti & C3PO

Ahsoka has been F2P for years, GK has been out for years, Padmé is 6+ months old, C3PO is super old and Shaak ti is the only exception.

Although she has been out for 2-3 months and fleet nodes are hard nodes now with the cheaper pricing so it's easy for a F2P to get her (this is the only really P2W part if the event that is arguable)

And again, all amazing meta characters / top tier.

T3: Just requires skill which money cant buy.

T4: Asajj, B1, B2, Droideka & Magnaguard

Asajj is incredibly F2P and a solid character. B1 may be thought to be P2W but I mean hes been out for around 4-6 months which is incredibly F2P.

B2, Droideka & Magnaguard have been out for a while and all of these characters a fairly attainable (droideka is somewhat difficult) however, they're all apart of another amazing team.

So this event requires, a bunch of F2P, meta characters besides Shaak Ti (B1 to a very minimum extent) and requires meta / top tier characters everyone has geared up basically.

So forget all the fuss because this is much more F2P compared to Darth Malak and people just don't understand that.

I dont get why the same people commenting there is no content get mad when content gets added.

I didnt farm C3PO because I was too lazy to farm ewoks and yet I'm not screaming P2W because the event isnt and I'm not gonna get super salty over the fact that I didnt get my F2P characters ready due to my laziness.

Okay, we heard your voice.

Asajj, Ahsoka, General Kenobi, Magnaguard, B2 have been around for a long time I don't argue with this.

On the contrary, we have B1, Droideka, Padme, C3PO, Shaak Ti, and Anakin's starfighter.

I don't give a **** about the B1 and the Droideka, Padme is 7* for me, just unlocked C3PO is 5* for me (I have **** Ewoks), been farming Shaak Ti since available in fleet hard and I'm still at 33/65 (doing 10-15 battles / day)!!!!, still farming ETA Starfighter 21/65 but at least other galactic republic ships are 7*.

Moreover, gearing C3PO, Padme and Shaak Ti with the new type of gears is ridiculous on the side when you want to charge other toons to G13.

Even that you have ships you need to have G12-G13 toons juiced up!

So, yeah, this event is completely dedicated to P2W category. Try to keep up with the meta but don't forget to gear everyone and farm a lot with this horrible shard drop rate and be the best in the arena against ultra-speed relic 7 people.

"This is outrageous. This is unfair!"

You can't complain in a strategic farming game, amongst other F2P and low spenders, that you won't get a new toon because you "didn't give a ****." That is a really low bar for game developers to operate at, the "let's make sure we only develop toons based on what this guy likes."

Some of us did spend our limited resources on these things, some of us are ready. Some of us foresaw the impending need for these things, some of us responded to the needs of Geo TB, some of us just like the Clone War era.

If every event is designed to allow everyone to get it, it defeats the purpose. I decided to spent limited gear on these toons, instead of other B level or non-TB or event related toons. I am at a disadvantage in some game modes because of that choice. Hopefully, the choices you made will pay off later. Maybe they already did. But that is what a game that revolves around resource management is - choices that pay off differently, sometimes not at all.

There's no need to strategically manage any resource, and no toon gives you an edge, if requirements are set at the level of "not giving a ****" so somebody like you can also get it. Sorry, but your points just prove how well-designed this event is. I could have had other toons, but I farmed and geared these ones. You didn't. Cry me a river.

And spending just means you have "more." Or people who didn't sacrifice to develop toons early can just catch up magically in a week or two. The whales get to cheat by paying to catch up to the rest of us. But that's what's happening with this event - this event rewards veterans and smart FTP. Whales who didn't farm smart can pay to get on our level, not the other way around. In fact, some whales will not even be able to buy their way in - depending on how far behind they are - because the event comes soon. If they are far enough behind they'll spend more on refreshes than gear and toons. That's how it should be. This is finally an event that will exclude some whales and reward FTP.

Just re-read what you yourself said. You didn't care about the toons. I guess it would be nice if the game solely revolved around toons you personally care about, but why should anyone else care?

Are you really trying to give me a lecture? I didn't complain that I'm not going to get Anakin, I mean, I will not get him in forever because some of the required toons are not in my priority. Been playing this game for years and I always prioritized my favorite factions. You don't have the right to tell me what should I focus or prioritize. For example, I got Darth Revan for the 2nd event and didn't cry that at the first event my Carth was at 4* only. Time will help.

What I wrote were merely facts that even when the required characters are available you need to raise them for 7* and gear them to at least G12, maybe give them zetas. This involves lots of crystals and a good amount of luck. For gears, you need to do your best in the raids to get good rewards, have tokens to purchase from the stores, be good in the arena to get as many crystals as possible to spend on refresh or gears. Not to talk about this horrible drop rate where I usually get 15/3-4 Shaak Ti shards that cost me 175 crystals already. This was just one example. Even if I want to spend money here, the prices are the same for all countries both poor or rich, so it's a matter of where you live as well.

I don't like being forced on what meta or toons I should use. If I miss out on some legendary heroes just because I don't farm the requirements for them, so be it, it's my business and not yours. I'm already used to it that a new event is usually impossible for F2P to complete, but at least we get a few months to power up until it repeats.

Take a good look around the comment section both here and Youtube. I understand everyone's point, you should do that too instead of acting smart.
  • ScummerAntilles
    77 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Valeran wrote: »
    Valeran wrote: »
    Everyone complaining about Anakins new event being P2W is so incorrect.

Everything here including anakin's ETA has been F2P for quite some time now and you cant scream "P2W!!!" When the ship has been out for ages and the rest being F2P GR.

All the GR pilots are useful and somewhat meta characters as well. On top of that, unlocking the Negotiator at 7* is practically impossible for even whales meaning Mace Windu would be used for this event.

Ahsoka has been F2P for years, GK has been out for years, Padmé is 6+ months old, C3PO is super old and Shaak ti is the only exception.

Although she has been out for 2-3 months and fleet nodes are hard nodes now with the cheaper pricing so it's easy for a F2P to get her (this is the only really P2W part if the event that is arguable)

Asajj is incredibly F2P and a solid character. B1 may be thought to be P2W but I mean hes been out for around 4-6 months which is incredibly F2P.

B2, Droideka & Magnaguard have been out for a while and all of these characters a fairly attainable (droideka is somewhat difficult) however, they're all apart of another amazing team.

So this event requires, a bunch of F2P, meta characters besides Shaak Ti (B1 to a very minimum extent) and requires meta / top tier characters everyone has geared up basically.

So forget all the fuss because this is much more F2P compared to Darth Malak and people just don't understand that.

I dont get why the same people commenting there is no content get mad when content gets added.

I didnt farm C3PO because I was too lazy to farm ewoks and yet I'm not screaming P2W because the event isnt and I'm not gonna get super salty over the fact that I didnt get my F2P characters ready due to my laziness.

Okay, we heard your voice.

Asajj, Ahsoka, General Kenobi, Magnaguard, B2 have been around for a long time I don't argue with this.

On the contrary, we have B1, Droideka, Padme, C3PO, Shaak Ti, and Anakin's starfighter.

I don't give a **** about the B1 and the Droideka, Padme is 7* for me, just unlocked C3PO is 5* for me (I have **** Ewoks), been farming Shaak Ti since available in fleet hard and I'm still at 33/65 (doing 10-15 battles / day)!!!!, still farming ETA Starfighter 21/65 but at least other galactic republic ships are 7*.

Moreover, gearing C3PO, Padme and Shaak Ti with the new type of gears is ridiculous on the side when you want to charge other toons to G13.

Even that you have ships you need to have G12-G13 toons juiced up!

So, yeah, this event is completely dedicated to P2W category. Try to keep up with the meta but don't forget to gear everyone and farm a lot with this horrible shard drop rate and be the best in the arena against ultra-speed relic 7 people.

"This is outrageous. This is unfair!"

You can't complain in a strategic farming game, amongst other F2P and low spenders, that you won't get a new toon because you "didn't give a ****." That is a really low bar for game developers to operate at, the "let's make sure we only develop toons based on what this guy likes."

Some of us did spend our limited resources on these things, some of us are ready. Some of us foresaw the impending need for these things, some of us responded to the needs of Geo TB, some of us just like the Clone War era.

If every event is designed to allow everyone to get it, it defeats the purpose. I decided to spent limited gear on these toons, instead of other B level or non-TB or event related toons. I am at a disadvantage in some game modes because of that choice. Hopefully, the choices you made will pay off later. Maybe they already did. But that is what a game that revolves around resource management is - choices that pay off differently, sometimes not at all.

There's no need to strategically manage any resource, and no toon gives you an edge, if requirements are set at the level of "not giving a ****" so somebody like you can also get it. Sorry, but your points just prove how well-designed this event is. I could have had other toons, but I farmed and geared these ones. You didn't. Cry me a river.

And spending just means you have "more." Or people who didn't sacrifice to develop toons early can just catch up magically in a week or two. The whales get to cheat by paying to catch up to the rest of us. But that's what's happening with this event - this event rewards veterans and smart FTP. Whales who didn't farm smart can pay to get on our level, not the other way around. In fact, some whales will not even be able to buy their way in - depending on how far behind they are - because the event comes soon. If they are far enough behind they'll spend more on refreshes than gear and toons. That's how it should be. This is finally an event that will exclude some whales and reward FTP.

Just re-read what you yourself said. You didn't care about the toons. I guess it would be nice if the game solely revolved around toons you personally care about, but why should anyone else care?

Are you really trying to give me a lecture? I didn't complain that I'm not going to get Anakin, I mean, I will not get him in forever because some of the required toons are not in my priority. Been playing this game for years and I always prioritized my favorite factions. You don't have the right to tell me what should I focus or prioritize. For example, I got Darth Revan for the 2nd event and didn't cry that at the first event my Carth was at 4* only. Time will help.

What I wrote were merely facts that even when the required characters are available you need to raise them for 7* and gear them to at least G12, maybe give them zetas. This involves lots of crystals and a good amount of luck. For gears, you need to do your best in the raids to get good rewards, have tokens to purchase from the stores, be good in the arena to get as many crystals as possible to spend on refresh or gears. Not to talk about this horrible drop rate where I usually get 15/3-4 Shaak Ti shards that cost me 175 crystals already. This was just one example. Even if I want to spend money here, the prices are the same for all countries both poor or rich, so it's a matter of where you live as well.

I don't like being forced on what meta or toons I should use. If I miss out on some legendary heroes just because I don't farm the requirements for them, so be it, it's my business and not yours. I'm already used to it that a new event is usually impossible for F2P to complete, but at least we get a few months to power up until it repeats.

Take a good look around the comment section both here and Youtube. I understand everyone's point, you should do that too instead of acting smart.

First you're complaining you can't get things that others *did* in your words, "give a **** about," when you "didn't give a ****." Now you're saying that people don't have a right to respond to what you're saying in a public forum.

I get it. You want to have your cake and eat it too. You want to be able to spend on your favorite factions, and while others spend on their favorite factions, your favorite factions somehow still allow you to be equally competitive. I got it the first time. They signalled well in advance we'd enter a Clone Wars phase, you don't care about that, you chose not to invest much, but you want somehow to stay competitive in this phase with people who did. It's really clear. What I'm saying is, that's a bad take. If you don't want people to respond to you in public, don't speak in public. Problem solved.

But my critique, which you didn't really seem to understand, is the same. 1. You not being able to stay ahead while "not giving a ****' is an absurd complaint. 2. You wanting the game to be equally competitive - or that your pet factions will always be equally relevant - that no matter how you choose to spend resources there's no risk of falling behind defeats the purpose of the gameplay, which is largely strategic resource management. If everything can beat everything, regardless of the choices you make, you have a different form of the same monotony problem you're complaining about - the need to conform to a single development path becomes the pointlessness of developing anything.

If you want to play for fun toon development, good for you. If you want to play competitively, follow the competitive cadence. You want your fun development toons to be perpetually competitive. That doesn't work.
  • Anakin event really so easy !
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    miketo wrote: »
    I am likely the minority, but the one requirement that has me miffed is the 7 star GR capital ship.

DS ships were a good early investment so you could start farming zetas. For whatever reason I also went with Ackbar and was successful with him in fleet arena. Thrawn came and we all pretty much went with him until HMF hit, then we moved to Ackbar.

I have been placing #1 in fleet arena for well over a year, 98% of the time. Yes, Mace's endurance did have a bit of representation in arena, but I am pretty sure he is the most unused capital ship. I will unlock the negotitor at 5 stars after this next TB. Problem is now I must decide to use up all of my stockpiled ship material on the negotiator and wait 6 more months for that ship to be 7 stars, or waste that material on the endurance.

As B1, Shaakti and Ani's ship all need ship energy I won't have to make that decision. However, after unlocking the negotiator I will need to keep it underdeveloped in case it isn't 7 stars for the next occurance of the event.

You may want to wait for revelation of ls tb and if it yields Malovelence. It doesn't make a difference since you are missing the first time anyway. I did Nego, but I have the hunch Nego will be the lesser one and those of us who did this early investment are prone to suffer. Or the fleet picture down the line may not be clear cut. Either way, it's logical for someone in your position to wait a bit more before using get2.
  • Everyone complaining about Anakins new event being P2W is so incorrect.

No one has played the event. Meeting character requirements is relatively arbitrary if you can't actually beat the event. You have to wait and see before calling it free to play friendly. We know mace is getting a rework, maybe his ship is too. This time only negotiator is viable? Who knows.
  • This whole thread seems like a waste of time.

You could rephrase the OP to say:
    “It’s entirely possibly for a long time FTP player to meet the minimum requirements to enter the event”.

-the toons are easy to get for those of us who have been around awhile. Others haven’t finished all the legendaries and may not have had the luxury of triple farming shaak Ti due to other priorities
    -we don’t know how difficult the event will be, but the timing of release (right after relics) suggests that it may be very difficult without them
    -the ship phase in particular is a bit concerning, as we are forced to use a much weaker capital ship for this first go-around. Mace may need relics just to be able to get through phase 1

But it’s all conjecture at this point. Maybe you’re right and the minimum requirements will be enough.
    I hope so because I’m ready to go as well. But that’s what concerns me as there has never been an event released in the history of this game which I was just instantly ready with no need to spend gear/panic farm/spend on something. I’m ready for this to be the first time but I just don’t expect it to be.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    kello_511 wrote: »

-we don’t know how difficult the event will be, but the timing of release (right after relics) suggests that it may be very difficult without them
    The timing suggest no such thing, but it is indeed a possibility
    -the ship phase in particular is a bit concerning, as we are forced to use a much weaker capital ship for this first go-around. Mace may need relics just to be able to get through phase 1
    Based on every major event character released thusfar, this isn't that concerning. Players have always been able to beat these event with sub-optimal teams and in case of no GP requirements with gear tiers far below the recommended gear.

• Now. What we should really be worried about, particularly us F2P and low-level spenders, is whether Anakin will unlock at 7*. Because if he doesn't, it will mean our Anakins are either relatively weak or the gear crunch gets worse as we spend GET on him. And if somebody does manage to get Anakin, they should be able to just enjoy him in all game modes and not wait months before running him in a raid or in TB.

If GAS unlocks at 5 stars, then he's not going to shift the meta at G11. And if he needs GET/2 to star up, then it will be weeks/months before those who have invested in Negotiator will have him at 7 stars.

At which point we're looking at ROS toons and another meta shift to DS.

This is so CG :)
  • K331 wrote: »
    Plus new movie coming out also dont even know if its gonna last long if its gonna be meta..

This. For those saying "This is easy for long time players and f2p friendly." Yep. Which has me starting to ponder....

"They let us go - that's the only explanation for the ease of our escape"

TL;DR - GA might be a nice compliment to the clones and might even be an important piece for the Geo LS TB - but he might not be the "new Malak". The paywall isn't high enough. This doesn't seem like CG at all....especially with a new movie on the horizon. I've got a bad feeling about this.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*

Based on every major event character released thusfar, this isn't that concerning. Players have always been able to beat these event with sub-optimal teams and in case of no GP requirements with gear tiers far below the recommended gear.

To be fair - we have no idea what to expect here (i.e. the ship tier). This is the first time in the almost 4 years of the game ships has been required for a character event.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Agree with OP. I won’t unlock as I geared geos and clones instead of sepi droids. I always pick wrong. But If i had either hoarded or geared the right faction it’s not a massive power requirement
  • Wookiebush wrote: »
    OPs post reeks of a p2w player. Grinding takes time, farming takes time, gearing takes time, everything in this game takes time. People who have everything ready are either very lucky, or they have spent money at some point. Stop acting like everything farmable is easily obtainable.

With the exception of Shaak Ti, people could easily have everything ready without having spent money. As you yourself said, these things take time - some people have been playing for 3.5+ years.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    TAureliusC wrote: »
    Personally, I feel this event is probably the most F2P event CG put out in a while. However, this will most likely be one of the hardest event CG has ever done. From a roster perspective, you will need multiple factions, including ships to even join the event. From a gear perspective, with the introduction of relics, it will probably be tuned like the Dark side geo TB.

I prefer every event to require a broad breadth of roster to complete.

I agree with the distinction you are drawing. Previous events were more clear cut and with more obvious needs. This one needs for exact needs to be having done for the long road that lead here and with much less of a very recently mapped rush shard farming. So it's rewarding previous choices more.

I get what you are saying, but there is also a major difference between this event and previous ones - and it’s around monetization.

Usually we need to farm and gear toons that are otherwise “less than optimal”, or panic farm multiple toons at once, etc. There is always something that requires even end game players to “stretch” our resources to complete the event.

It’s pretty well unheard of for an event to come where a long-time player (non-whale) is in a position to complete the event with no additional effort or spending. Which makes sense, because we all know that CG and EA are not staffed with volunteers.
    Also usually events drop that require toons to be at/near max power to complete, which means relics.

This is what makes me think that relics will be needed. That would also be a way of monetizing the event for end game players.

Also the generic “any galactic republic fleet commander” part...there is a huge difference between the 2 GR commanders and their ships (arguably one is the best and the other is the worst fleet commander), so it stands to reason that Mace will need to be much stronger than GK for his command ship to stand a chance in the event. Otherwise the next iteration of the event will just be a “hit auto” with GKs ship in there.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

I get what you are saying, but there is also a major difference between this event and previous ones - and it’s around monetization.

Usually we need to farm and gear toons that are otherwise “less than optimal”, or panic farm multiple toons at once, etc. There is always something that requires even end game players to “stretch” our resources to complete the event.

It’s pretty well unheard of for an event to come where a long-time player (non-whale) is in a position to complete the event with no additional effort or spending. Which makes sense, because we all know that CG and EA are not staffed with volunteers.
    Also usually events drop that require toons to be at/near max power to complete, which means relics.

This is what makes me think that relics will be needed. That would also be a way of monetizing the event for end game players.

Also the generic “any galactic republic fleet commander” part...there is a huge difference between the 2 GR commanders and their ships (arguably one is the best and the other is the worst fleet commander), so it stands to reason that Mace will need to be much stronger than GK for his command ship to stand a chance in the event. Otherwise the next iteration of the event will just be a “hit auto” with GKs ship in there.

All of your assumptions are reasonable. I have different ones. In their first runs Dr yielded 11k/300k to get it (going with swgoh.gg) and Malak 5k. CG would want to gauge an event with how many gets it, it can't be too few and if it's too broad (especially for the hardest event type to exist) than they failed fine tuning the event. In the current criteria I'm not sure how much players from the first year of the game who has everything (where shark tea being the only bottleneck) are left in the game. I rather expect a need for 2-3 g13s overall at the spots where it matters most and some to make it with zetas missing and some g11s in their full makeup. Nothing crazy like full r3+ teams.

I'm open to be surprised though and that may also kill my run.
  • jfears2
    186 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    JKDude01 wrote: »
    Do we know if there will be the Shaak pack available again?? I have farmed her in Fleets since she was released and still only at 9/100. I have everything else more than ready.

Be careful, if you're from Boston that shaak could mean different things, context is everything. Do yourself a favor and throw that extra Ti in:

awhvk7v0p88w.jpg

And if you are curious to watch the video explaining: vimeo.com/118352619

...and of course since I do know what you mean and I'm not from Boston, here is your shaak pack:

d7owr5bjcceg.jpg

You can probably assume the majority of what I post is sarcasm, feel free to skip and move along rather than reading...
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

I honestly don't see that much of a difference in terms of monetization between this event and previous events at this point.
    To your last point, to me it doesn't seem that different from chewy without bossk, or padme prior to the sepa rework.
    Obviously it's always better to expect the worst and hope for the best.

I honestly don't see that much of a difference in terms of monetization between this event and previous events at this point.
    To your last point, to me it doesn't seem that different from chewy without bossk, or padme prior to the sepa rework.
    Obviously it's always better to expect the worst and hope for the best.

I agree with your second point too but more so about padme, I couldn't even get her 5 star the first time, the second time with a G13 GG I probably could have autod the last three tiers of the event.

The difference here though is that the negotiator would only be used for one tier since you don't need ships for the later tiers.
    You can probably assume the majority of what I post is sarcasm, feel free to skip and move along rather than reading...
  • Has it been confirmed what star level this unlock will be? 5* or 7*?

I haven’t seen anything concrete yet?
  • This event is near- launch ftp. As a 2.5 yr player, nah.
  • We forgetting about the DS Geo battle and Relics? Those have been a huge resource drain trying to get everything farmed up for those missions.
    SOME people had Spy/Soldier/Fac geared
    A few people had B2 around g10
    No one seriously had a reason to have poggle, Nute or 100 geared
    Then you throw in G13, which you're going to want for your arena squad as well as at least a few of those separatist.

Now you have the Clones, which have had a few niche uses over the years, but other than Rex and 5's haven't really been a reason to gear the rest of the clones.
    Same goes for clone ships, Anakin has been out of meta for a year, Ashoka was never ever really meta, same for the other GR ships, barring 5's.
    Shaak-Ti imo and most of the people I've talked to was a back burner, some geared her without buying her packs for another GA squad, Padme seems to be in the same boat, if not a bit more popular. I think everyone was looking at them for the LS Geo battle but concentrating on the DS until they could do all the missions.

Yeah, if you're a F2P hoarder who was already in good shape for the first Geo TB, you're probably pretty ready for this event. But it's disingenuous to act like the majority of the player base should or could be. This is still very much geared towards whales and a small fraction of F2P. Remember that they said too many people unlocked Malak the first time around.
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    OK. Said by quite a few, but my two cents. I have been playing for no idea how long, but call it 2? 3 years? Not going to get him my first pass and I have no problem with that. I haven't made a first pass open for some time now, back maybe when Palp first came out.

To me the first pass privilege belongs to two groups;

1) P2P - Hey these are for you guys/gals. No issues with it. You fund the game you should enjoy the advantages of early access.

2) The meticulous F2P - Here is where I agree and disagree with the OP because I don't think it is your average F2P player so calling it a F2P event, while technically true, is a bit disingenuous.

The game, as rightly pointed out, is about making choices. Some of those choices are made based on what you find fun, but i think many are to keep competitive in both arena to at least score some crystals (You can't focus on Ugnaut and CUP even if you like them else you'll slide further and further) and guild events. Again while you may like certain factions if you're in a guild it's incumbent on you to try and sacrifice a bit of your goals for the greater good. A strong guild will help you in other ways so it's a worthwhile investment.

Now this even is a bit of a snowball in my mind. To me you couldn't have made the right choice when Shaak Ti came out and had a chance. You had to have made the right decision pre-JKR and it comes down to ship energy and especially how it used to be granted. If you prepared properly for JKR and were able to farm Jolee and Batsilla Shan (both ship nodes) in a reasonable time then you could move on to farm Carth for Malak. I think many F2P got hung up with the double farm. You'll probably point out it is not only ship nodes they appear in, but we also had to farm others in LS/DS Battles (Can't even recall now). Anyways it snowballed so if you were behind for the JKR event then you'd likely be behind for the DR Event followed by being behind for the Malak event. Add in Geo wars and B1 was put on hold to get Malak (at least for me) and now I'm catching up on B1, Shaak Ti and ETA. 3 sets of shards required all from Ship Nodes.

Now that ship energy refreshes more frequently it will hopefully help out, but I won't be ready this round and I'm ok with it, but I'm even nervous for the next one (who knows when) with the Ship Node bottle neck I'm stuck in and that would bother me.

I think many F2P have fallen into this pitfall and I'm OK perpetually being one iteration behind, but 2 behind is something that would be a bit back breaking. I will of course be focusing on these (and have been actually for a bit), but saying this event is majority F2P is a bit off in my mind and not because of this event in particular, but a culmination of events leading to it.