Anyone else seeing a significant reduction in the drop rates?

Prev1
I'm curious if anyone else is seeing a significant reduction in the drop rates across the board? For roughly the last 1.5 to 2 weeks, my drop rates have cratered consistently. 5 attempts at a hard a day usually gives 0 or 1 shard. For gear like golden eyeball pieces, I've gone 16 attempts in a row without a single drop. Fleet 5c used to drop a Mk 4 Zactin Bacta Gel Salvage pretty reliably at the rate of 2 per roughly 5 attempts. Now it's usually less than 1 in 10, sometimes way less. And even 10-energy nodes that used to drop shards at a good rate (FOX, etc) now seem to drop at less than half the prior rate.

I figured there was a chance I was just having bad luck, but to see this consistently across a nearly 2-week period seems pretty unlikely to be luck.

So am I just imagining this change somehow, or is anyone else noticing the same change?

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    * throws hands up and walks out *
    * (too lazy to find a gif)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • What would be considered evidence in your mind? My evidence is my own experience. If I had the code I could confirm it myself. But that's never going to happen. I've been playing for several years now. I know you get bad numbers one or two days. I've never had a consistent 2-week long MAJOR reduction in drop rates. If other people have had that, it's news to me any the other folks I play with who have all made the same comment.
  • What would be considered evidence in your mind? My evidence is my own experience. If I had the code I could confirm it myself. But that's never going to happen. I've been playing for several years now. I know you get bad numbers one or two days. I've never had a consistent 2-week long MAJOR reduction in drop rates. If other people have had that, it's news to me any the other folks I play with who have all made the same comment.

Well you have no evidence since I've been getting 3/5s and such.

2 weeks is nothing
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    What would be considered evidence in your mind?

The answer is "actual data". Preferably that you actually tracked with a decent enough sample size to allow for variance.

Amazingly, you'll find that drop rates are about 33%.. Like they always are. Always.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • I said nothing about conspiracies. I said nothing about them being rigged. I was asking if other folks had noticed a reduction in the rate. Hyperbole much?

Other folks in my guild were mentioning the same observation unprompted, so I thought to ask here. Apparently some of you folks are too up-tight to answer a simple question without freaking the hell out.
  • I said nothing about conspiracies. I said nothing about them being rigged. I was asking if other folks had noticed a reduction in the rate. Hyperbole much?

Other folks in my guild were mentioning the same observation unprompted, so I thought to ask here. Apparently some of you folks are too up-tight to answer a simple question without freaking the hell out.

Nah I just like using memes c:

And others are generally crazy mad because the forums are toxic (me included) and there has been dozens of these posts with the same no evidence clause
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I said nothing about conspiracies. I said nothing about them being rigged. I was asking if other folks had noticed a reduction in the rate. Hyperbole much?

I answered and even gave you the precise percentage of the drop rate that is always the case when ever anyone (or an entire guild) has actually tracked drop rates. Always. Who's freaking out?

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Drop rate probabilities are going to have a curve. Of the hundreds of thousands of players, every day some players will have a bad day. Of those players who have a bad day that correspond with a period of time like now, when shard drop rates are perceived as "time critical," some of those players will assume there's a conspiracy to rig the drop rates, rather than just recognizing the normal distribution of probability.
  • @ZiroZeroNine

Do a forum search for “drop rate”. There are literally 100s of threads making similar claims to this one, and they all have something in common.

The data is never robust and it is always based on a small sample size.

Robust data would be something specific, like “I’ve done 485 attempts on Shaak Ti’s node and earned 174 shards which is 35.8% drop rate”. Your post is full of “roughly” and “usually” and “seem to”. The wording suggests you’re basing your findings on memory and instinct, which are fallible and can suffer from a thing called “confirmation bias”.

Then there’s sample size. The one bit of robust data you posted was the 16 attempts for a gold eyeball with no drops. That does sound unlucky, but 16 attempts is way too small a sample to base any meaningful conclusion on. I am a maths teacher, but I’m no statistician, so I won’t offer what sort of sample size would be meaningful, but any time I’ve tracked drop rates I have settled on the expected drop rates well before 100 attempts.

On top of that is the logical approach. If every post claiming drop rates had been lowered had any truth to it, the drop rates would be pretty much zero now. Same goes for particular characters. Searching the forums you’ll find pretty much every character being identified as lower drop rates than the rest.

Shard drop rates: 33% always for all toons on all nodes.

Purple gear: 20-22% for all pieces on all nodes.

Gold gear: I don’t want to guess, but whatever it is, it’s the same today as it was yesterday and the same as it will be tomorrow.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I had extremely low drop rate on kyrotechs yesterday (3 refreshes each on 2 accounts) . No, I don't believe drop rates in general have been reduced. I just hit a bad streak.

@ZiroZeroNine If you truly want a serious debate about changes in drop rates please present your numbers about drop rates before and after the change. You claim to have made an observation and that your guild mates have observed the same. Please present to us, what you observed.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The best way to know if you are imagining this or not is to post your data and let every see if they agree with your conclusion.
  • My evidence is my own experience.

Which is why we have science and statistics... to tell us our experiences are wrong.

If you do anything involving random chance tens or hundreds of thousands of times you are increasingly likely to see the improbable. Nobody comes here to ask if CG has suddenly turned into a charity if they get a few good drops in a row. A week of feeling like you’re drops are bad is normal occasionally if it’s true. Also likely is that you just remember the bad ones more because a common cognitive bias is that rotten experiences stick in our heads more than things that are just OK happening to us.

Track your drops meticulously for a year by category. That is your evidence. Your experience as evidence is zero evidence.
  • JacenRoe wrote: »
    My evidence is my own experience.

Track your drops meticulously for a year by category. That is your evidence. Your experience as evidence is zero evidence.
    I think a year is overkill. If anyone did it for a month I'm quite certain they would fall in line with the commonly observed rates.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    JacenRoe wrote: »

I think a year is overkill. If anyone did it for a month I'm quite certain they would fall in line with the commonly observed rates.

Better safe than sorry.
  • JacenRoe wrote: »

Maybe. But I tracked drops on characters that were half what I know them to be for 2 months. When I farmed Lando (Old blue cape Lando 3 years ago) I maintained a 14% drop rate the whole time. But overall my drops for the year were right on target.

Bigger sample size = more accurate data.
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Over the months drop rate was like 16-17% for gear and around 27% for shards. It's not that far from statistics and it just means someone else is having 23% for gear and 39% for shards which equals it to average for our combined data. Average doesn't mean that everyone is having the same drop rates, just that all drop rates of all players combined fit the 20% gear and 33% shard rates.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • WookieWookie
    1460 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Nope. Track it fastidiously for 2 weeks or more, and either crunch your numbers or post them here and we'll just add to the pile of existing evidence that the drops rate are consistent and known within a 1-2% margin of error.

tenor.gif
  • JDIII wrote: »
    9vb5olps9l1g.png
    No, not lowered. This was from a week ago
    Take note, @ZiroZeroNine. Here's proof as valid as your own experience of drop rates being increased to 100%.
  • Mosca
    14 posts Member
    JDIII wrote: »
    9vb5olps9l1g.png
    No, not lowered. This was from a week ago
    Science!!!

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Human mind is fallacious. What you presented as your experience is not really the full picture of your experience. It's merely your recollection of a few moments that frustrated you and therefore is in your memory.

Give us some data so we can to talking what that data represents even if your sample size is small. We can even calculate the likelihood of your small sample size data happening assuming the expected drop rate hasn't changed. And if we conducted a collective study with larger sample sizes in a given time interval we would be able to speculate if the drop rates really changed.

In my experience I got 7/15 shard tea shards. That's higher than expected %33. And it tells absolutely nothing.
  • kt3vnllmadnd.png

Drop rates are clearly 100% for me, based on this 💪
  • EdSolo
    411 posts Member
    It is just completely random. For me, it seems like Tuesdays always give me bad drop rates for some reason. Followed by good drop rates on Wednesdays. I went 0/5 on Shaak Ti yesterday and 4/5 for today. For the two days, that is a bit above the 1/3 average so it all evens out in the end. I have had 0/20 days farming Kyrotechs or stun guns. It is just RNG. For every bad run, someone is going to have a good run.
  • No I have not experienced this. I’m currently farming Rose, Holdo, ETA2, Carth, and Juhani.

All have been 1 to 3 drops per day. Holdo has been killing it too. A few 4 and 5 shards per day with no refreshes.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    No. They don't mess with drop rates. They never have.

It's been proven over and over and over and over and OVER AND OVER

AND OVER

A
    N
    D
    O
    V
    E
    R

It's all in your head.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• I have not experienced a change in drop rates such as you describe. Sometimes the dice just hate you, OP.
  • Monel
    2784 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I said nothing about conspiracies. I said nothing about them being rigged. I was asking if other folks had noticed a reduction in the rate. Hyperbole much?

I answered and even gave you the precise percentage of the drop rate that is always the case when ever anyone (or an entire guild) has actually tracked drop rates. Always. Who's freaking out?

I am freaking out, there was a huge spider in my bed this morning.