Good try, but a FTP is still alive

Replies

• TVF
    36489 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    While i can agree that you're doing very well by every reasonable measure, I personally wouldn't consider that "the highest levels".
    My point isn't that I'm at "the highest levels." But rather that "the highest levels" is a nonsense term to No True Scotsman away any level of performance by an F2P so that complaints about the plight of the F2P become untouchable as no accomplishment is ever good enough.

That depends on how you define "the highest levels" and in which context you're using it.

The highest level is someone who is f2p but also a whale and also makes YouTube videos and is in the top guild and runs the top guild and finishes first in every raid including Pit because they force the rest of the guild to do it manually but not solo it and wins every GA match with a perfect score and does every feat (twice, with eyes closed on Tuesday) and does GW on manual every day with a 1* IG-86 only and wins every TW against the other top guilds by themselves and their two squads hold each of the front two territories while they have a perfect banner count on offense and they get an IG-86 10 shard pull from every bronzium and they can solo tank with just a G1 7* IG-86 but they still have over 1000 spare IG-86 shards and they have every zeta except Pao's and they have every omega except that Fives one that ruins the team.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    capifico22 wrote: »
    Successfully competing in a top6 TW guild, and being able to compete in raids in said guilds. Something that last year f2p players could do, something that they really cannot do right now.

lmao, ok.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Jarvind
    3918 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    While i can agree that you're doing very well by every reasonable measure, I personally wouldn't consider that "the highest levels".
    My point isn't that I'm at "the highest levels." But rather that "the highest levels" is a nonsense term to No True Scotsman away any level of performance by an F2P so that complaints about the plight of the F2P become untouchable as no accomplishment is ever good enough.

That depends on how you define "the highest levels" and in which context you're using it.

The highest level is someone who is f2p but also a whale and also makes YouTube videos and is in the top guild and runs the top guild and finishes first in every raid including Pit because they force the rest of the guild to do it manually but not solo it and wins every GA match with a perfect score and does every feat (twice, with eyes closed on Tuesday) and does GW on manual every day with a 1* IG-86 only and wins every TW against the other top guilds by themselves and their two squads hold each of the front two territories while they have a perfect banner count on offense and they get an IG-86 10 shard pull from every bronzium and they can solo tank with just a G1 7* IG-86 but they still have over 1000 spare IG-86 shards and they have every zeta except Pao's and they have every omega except that Fives one that ruins the team.

ur fase is f2p but also a whale and also makes YouTube videos and is in the top guild and runs the top guild and finishes first in every raid including Pit because it forces the rest of the guild to do it manually but not solo it and wins every GA match with a perfect score and does every feat (twice, with eyes closed on Tuesday) and does GW on manual every day with a 1* IG-86 only and wins every TW against the other top guilds by themselves and their two squads hold each of the front two territories while they have a perfect banner count on offense and gets an IG-86 10 shard pull from every bronzium and it can solo tank with just a G1 7* IG-86 but it still has over 1000 spare IG-86 shards and it has every zeta except Pao's and every omega except that Fives one that ruins the team.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• TVF
    36489 posts Member
    My fase rules!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

are you trying to give an example of how you define "the highest levels" and a context you're using it in that makes it a nonsense term? If so, you succeeded.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member

are you trying to give an example of how you define "the highest levels" and a context you're using it in that makes it a nonsense term? If so, you succeeded.

I'm just telling you what I see when I look in the mirror.
  • Kazeb wrote: »
    you force me to burn all my purple

71qJhSg+WiL._SS500_.jpg
  • TVF wrote: »
    It's funny how many people define success differently in this game. Almost as if there's no way to "win" the game. I'm willing to bet most people wouldn't have led with being in a "top TW guild" and especially how you do in a raid in said guild, which at this point is trivial thanks to how fast the raid goes. But oh well. Guess I'm not a top player now. Darn.

You say now, like you ever were? Top forum poster, always.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    It's funny how many people define success differently in this game. Almost as if there's no way to "win" the game. I'm willing to bet most people wouldn't have led with being in a "top TW guild" and especially how you do in a raid in said guild, which at this point is trivial thanks to how fast the raid goes. But oh well. Guess I'm not a top player now. Darn.

Your labels are silly but you're allowed them.

Your labels are silly but you're allowed them.

Thanks!
  • capifico22 wrote: »
    Successfully competing in a top6 TW guild, and being able to compete in raids in said guilds. Something that last year f2p players could do, something that they really cannot do right now.
    In other words, you don't have an objection. You have a No True Scotsman fallacy.
    Still not a he.
  • Mzee wrote: »
    Kazeb wrote: »
    If you farmed her beforehand you would have saved "purple."

i farmed her from the first day with a refresh on her node every day. 140 shards missing when event was announced. basically two refreshes were needed and would have saved me 10k "purple".

For a FTP such a focus is a waste of cristal and it s the first time i regret not to have done it.

for all event before GAS, it was possible to buy at 80 purple for a shard, all needed shards in a few days. the world has changed and new ftp will have more trouble getting requirement for event cos they need to focus farm and wrong choice will mean no event...

One refresh a day isn't enough if the toon is going to be needed. Two or three is the minimum for getting shards in time.

But don't feel bad. At least you unlocked. I spent 30k in crystals I had saved and got toons up to the requirements only to still not unlock because it was geared to relics not 17.7k toons.

They should habe disclosed that when they announced the event along with the minimum. Had they done that I would have probably not bothered and just waited until next time.

They should have added a recommended in my opinion. Although this did come out in the datamining. My Droidekka barely made the cut with GP, but I had relic 3 on B1 and Ventress with the rest gear 12 with some 12 pieces so the minimum requirements worked if you could make up for it with higher gear on other toons. Couldn't manage it till I got B1 to relic 3. A zeta on Droidekka would have helped a lot for damage as well, but I didn't have the zeta.

A data mine is not the same as announcing it. They are sometimes correct but just as often wrong. So I don't put a lot of stock in them.
  • leef wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    If someone keeps guessing right though, at some point it's not actually a guess.

While that's a wonderfully glib answer, that's paper-thin logic - even for you. ;)

Unless someone has "inside information" (let's not debate this here), everyone is guessing to an extent until requirements for a particular event are actually announced. Sure, there can be some well thought out and educated "guesses" - but, since CG has virtually changed the rules for every event (Malak being one of the first to require characters of a specific power level, GAS being the first character to ever require ships, etc.) it's still guessing.

How's that paper-thin logic though?
    If you're prepared for anything and everthing, there's little to no guessing involved, even if they virtually change the rules for every event.
    I would also like to point out that for this particular event it wasn't necessary to "guess" the requirements, if you're on top of your game you would have all the required characters. No one is saying that they knew this event would require these toons (aside from shaak).

You can't be prepared for every possibly ftp. It just isn't possible. Yes, if you whale on everything, you can for sure be ready. But as ftp, you have limited resources and it's not possible to have every possibility covered.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    If someone keeps guessing right though, at some point it's not actually a guess.

While that's a wonderfully glib answer, that's paper-thin logic - even for you. ;)

Unless someone has "inside information" (let's not debate this here), everyone is guessing to an extent until requirements for a particular event are actually announced. Sure, there can be some well thought out and educated "guesses" - but, since CG has virtually changed the rules for every event (Malak being one of the first to require characters of a specific power level, GAS being the first character to ever require ships, etc.) it's still guessing.

If you're prepared for anything and everthing, there's little to no guessing involved, even if they virtually change the rules for every event.
    I would also like to point out that for this particular event it wasn't necessary to "guess" the requirements, if you're on top of your game you would have all the required characters. No one is saying that they knew this event would require these toons (aside from shaak).

You can't be prepared for every possibly ftp. It just isn't possible. Yes, if you whale on everything, you can for sure be ready. But as ftp, you have limited resources and it's not possible to have every possibility covered.

What possibilities do you think a ftp cannot have covered? The hardest part of being ready for these events is the shard farming, and with the way things have been going it's entirely possible for a ftp to be completely caught up on the farming that's already out there and to be doing multiple refreshes a day on anything new as soon as it goes to a node. When that's not quite enough, saved crystals cover the rest. The other part of the equation is gear, but you don't have to have the right people geared in advance because you can hoard gear and apply it after the requirements are known. Unless you're talking about suddenly needing a 7* Wat or Negotiator with no crystal purchases available, or unless you mean "not possible for most ftp" as opposed to actually "not possible"?
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    Unless you're talking about suddenly needing a 7* Wat or Negotiator

source.gif
  • Liath wrote: »

What possibilities do you think a ftp cannot have covered? The hardest part of being ready for these events is the shard farming, and with the way things have been going it's entirely possible for a ftp to be completely caught up on the farming that's already out there and to be doing multiple refreshes a day on anything new as soon as it goes to a node. When that's not quite enough, saved crystals cover the rest. The other part of the equation is gear, but you don't have to have the right people geared in advance because you can hoard gear and apply it after the requirements are known. Unless you're talking about suddenly needing a 7* Wat or Negotiator with no crystal purchases available, or unless you mean "not possible for most ftp" as opposed to actually "not possible"?

Ok let's say they drop another event next week that requires another team (let's say kit fisto jedi plus cup) now mind you, this is right after gas. Are you ready to relic 7 them f it were required?

If not you're not ready for anything. And yes I know this is a highly unlikely situation.

🤦‍♂️ Classic TVF

Sorry I keep telling the truth and it bothers you.

#Notmytruth
  • Tiig
    296 posts Member
    “I spent $200 on this event” is not FTP
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Ok let's say they drop another event next week that requires another team (let's say kit fisto jedi plus cup) now mind you, this is right after gas. Are you ready to relic 7 them f it were required?

If not you're not ready for anything. And yes I know this is a highly unlikely situation.

If everything required to gear them was available for crystals in the timeframe of the event, I could certainly g13 another team. Relic 7 on the whole team would be rough because relics haven't been out that long yet and they have yet to make any relic mats available for in-game currency, so they all have to be farmed. I haven't done 3 refreshes every single day on relic mats so I don't have as many as I could. I'm sure there are people with more relic mats hoarded than I have at this moment.

You can always reach an extreme level of absurdity that any given person wouldn't be prepared for (what if they required every single character in the game to be r7 with 2 hours notice!??!), but when we talk about being ready for anything that's remotely plausible given a moderate increase from the last level of requirements, yeah, it's possible. And in the context of a discussion about whether f2p had to get lucky/guess right to be prepared for the events that have already occurred, the implication is that if the requirements had been something different (say, Sith ships instead of GR), then those people wouldn't have been ready. And that's just simply inaccurate.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member

🤦‍♂️ Classic TVF

Sorry I keep telling the truth and it bothers you.

#Notmytruth

For sure. You definitely have your own "truth."
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

You say that like it's some universal truth, but i think you're wrong.
    With the limited resources at the disposal of long term, high ranking, good resourcemanaging and dedicated f2p players it has been possible to be ready for anything they threw at us and be ready for what can reasonably be expected they'll throw at us in the future. Yes, "reasonably expected" inlcudes the (percieved) ever increasing difficulty.
    Small side note, one could argue that it was impossible to be ready for anything back in the earlier days, but now it's possibly to have a gigantic stack of crystals and have every possible character/ship farmed.
    fwiw, i'm not ready for anything. I've made choices that put me being able to unlock everything at risk. Also, i don't rank high in fleet, so that alone makes it a lot tougher.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Just to put down some data (which I bet many will call a lie) 12/100 got GAS in my f2p guild. Their tactic was as mentioned. They were both semi-prepared and burnt their piles.

Before we saw the event I was thinking I would make it, but the droid team broke my back. Without a decent pile I missed g13ing b1. Way above the entry barrier, I still missed it.

And total amount of GASes on swgoh.gg numbers at close to 7k compared to 15k first time malaks. CG certainly dialled up the ante quite a bit (for not good enough returns).

The game has became less f2p friendly these days. But that's also an indication it's less spender friendly too. They are milking the playerbase hard. We'll see whether they are now in the slippery slope or if there'll be a balancing act to a degree.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »
    Just to put down some data (which I bet many will call a lie) 12/100 got GAS in my f2p guild. Their tactic was as mentioned. They were both semi-prepared and burnt their piles.

Before we saw the event I was thinking I would make it, but the droid team broke my back. Without a decent pile I missed g13ing b1. Way above the entry barrier, I still missed it.

And total amount of GASes on swgoh.gg numbers at close to 7k compared to 15k first time malaks. CG certainly dialled up the ante quite a bit (for not good enough returns).

The game has became less f2p friendly these days. But that's also an indication it's less spender friendly too. They are milking the playerbase hard. We'll see whether they are now in the slippery slope or if there'll be a balancing act to a degree.

12/100 isn't that bad considering only 882 f2p players unlocked malak.
  • Tiig wrote: »
    “I spent $200 on this event” is not FTP

It s not my video. I just give credits to the youtuber who give me the way to follow to get it as a ftp.
    As a ftp, you always need p2w feedback to find minimum gear to succeed.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

Yeah, it's pretty good. Seems I'm riding with the craziest bunch xD. The most dedicated high end f2p folk are falling one by one though.

The real breaking point for seasoned f2p is if this release immediately took over and was uncounterable. Both doesn't look like the case. I missed metas in the past, I'll survive fine. The real meta is the shard chat.
  • No_Try wrote: »
    Just to put down some data (which I bet many will call a lie) 12/100 got GAS in my f2p guild.

Forgive my ignorance, but what how does a guild have 100 folks?
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    The real meta is the shard chat.

Oh you're one of those people.

There are tons of people in my shard chat. Over 100. Granted some of them no longer play, but there's at least 75 (3 out of 4 rough guess) actively playing. And since Malak came out, most of them can't get to 1, and I rarely fall out of the top 30.

The real meta is not the shard chat, at least on my shard. The real meta is the actual meta (squad) and mods.
  • Liath wrote: »

If everything required to gear them was available for crystals in the timeframe of the event, I could certainly g13 another team. Relic 7 on the whole team would be rough because relics haven't been out that long yet and they have yet to make any relic mats available for in-game currency, so they all have to be farmed. I haven't done 3 refreshes every single day on relic mats so I don't have as many as I could. I'm sure there are people with more relic mats hoarded than I have at this moment.

You can always reach an extreme level of absurdity that any given person wouldn't be prepared for (what if they required every single character in the game to be r7 with 2 hours notice!??!), but when we talk about being ready for anything that's remotely plausible given a moderate increase from the last level of requirements, yeah, it's possible. And in the context of a discussion about whether f2p had to get lucky/guess right to be prepared for the events that have already occurred, the implication is that if the requirements had been something different (say, Sith ships instead of GR), then those people wouldn't have been ready. And that's just simply inaccurate.

Another two teams being required at r7 isn't that big of a stretch at this point. And having another event shortly after isn't unprecedented either.

Just making the point that anything is a brood word. I never said gas was impossible ftp. But there is some level of guessing involved unless you hoard everything and gear nothing. That also has opportunity cost. If you've played since launch and already had geos pretty well maxed and only had to gear brood, that would certainly help. But that also involved a guess that they would be decent at some point.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Yeah, it's pretty good. Seems I'm riding with the craziest bunch xD. The most dedicated high end f2p folk are falling one by one though.

The real breaking point for seasoned f2p is if this release immediately took over and was uncounterable. Both doesn't look like the case. I missed metas in the past, I'll survive fine. The real meta is the shard chat.

huh, so is that 12/100 an indication that it's easy or hard? I'm lost.
    No offense, but it's not like your guild is all that impressive when i'm looking at the average arena ranks. For reference, how many malaks did your guild unlock?