Willpower to continue

JZ95
167 posts Member
There's a healthy amount of grind someone is willing to put up with in order to play a game. For the longest time we had to grind for stuff, gear, Zetas, omegas, shards. I'd argue that the game is purposely designed to feel slow placed unless you out the hand in the pocket and pull out the almighty credit card buy these crystal vaults. Understood, but f2p never felt so much behind as they do now.

I never got a legendary at 7 stars the first time except CLS after I dropped a little bit of money, Palpatine I believe it was the third time, Yoda probably 4th time. Then I picked up, I got R2D2 the first time 5 stars, Thrawn 5 stars first time, missed BB8, and missed Rey the first time but got her the second, I also got Revans and Malak the second time.

It didn't bother me I got almost everyone the second time because I felt like there was sufficient counterplay, there were things I could do to handle myself in the absence of critical characters. I'd keep my eyes and ears open until some type of counter was found and then focus on working on that. However this trend felt broken with Malak. The abusive nerfs and buffs that took place to insure his absolute and unequivocal dominance in the game felt like for the first time this was a MUST HAVE character that could 1v5 previous meta characters without the slightest problem. Having him meant automatic win in Grand arena if you were paired with someone who didn't have him. So I knew then that there was only one path for me, I had to get Malak myself or the imbalance of power would be too great. So I did my best to get him the second time and I succeded, unfortunately I couldn't get him to 7 stars due to lack of guild event tokens.

Now you may be asking, if I knew he required them why didn't I hoard them until Malak returned? Although the answer may seem like it was a mistake by me for which I deserved to suffer, you need to see things from my perspective too. Not having Malak for months was rough, first of all my arena rank was hurt badly. When I could previously climb to the top 20 or top 10 sometimes, after Malak the same ranks were unattainable. Due to this my crystal income suffered so it was much harder to buy gear to boost my roster. Also not having Malak meant I had to follow a different approach in GA, I had to stack my defense while maintaining a decent offense roster in case I had to go 2-3 battles deep to kill Malak, who was very hard to beat with a single attempt. Due to that reason I felt like I had to keep gearing my roster instead of saving.

Then there is the sith raid, if you can't do well in PvP you need to at least do well in pve. This way I can keep my guild store cure currency high and maintain the ability to buy carbantis and stun cuffs, among the pieces I need to get more characters to gear 12. In order to do well in the sith raid I had to keep gearing squads to keep my score as high as possible to sustain the top 3, which I did. Had I not geared more characters using GET, I would most likely not be able to maintain a top 3 in the sith raid for months which means less guild store currency and g12 salvage, which means those tokens effectively bought me double their value. To say I should have saved up for Malak is to say I should have Significantly less gear so I don't know which one is worse. Either way there's no right or wrong there's just preference.

Had I known then that GAS would be released in the same fashion, perhaps my decision would be different, but Malak felt unique. He felt like a one time thing to close off the old republic content and move on to a different era. I legitimately thought there would never be another character like Malak due to how unpopular the event was to the community, but I was naive to think back then that the devs actually cared about what the community thinks despite that being their flag and their main talking point.

Fast forward today, we have another character who is undoubtedly significantly more powerful than Malak himself. His unique turns Malak's health into a B1 given a few turns and now before I'm even done farming Malak, who is still a significant force in GA, I must commit my guild tokens to another character.

I'm losing my willpower to continue this task. There's nothing more satisfying than waking up in the morning to a brunch of guild event tokens from TB and have all this gear available so you can take your characters to the next level. There's nothing less satisfying than spending more than half of those for 20 shards of a character! The fact that I need to keep doing it for months to come is incredibly unappealing to me...

I get that the game is about choices, but games should primarily be about fun and then everything else.It's hard to see the fun in spending a week's work in two shard purchases. But let's say I decide not to do that, ignore the character liek he doesn't exist and keep buying gear, where does this decision lead? I'll tell you where it leads, it leads to loss after loss after loss in GAC and loss after loss after loss in arena a few months down the road. And I can't see what's so fun about losing in your favourite modes. In theory, someone who buys shard will end up with few characters and someone who buys gear will end up with more characters, but when the power level of a single character (Malak/Anakin) is high enough to beat dozens of characters in the game combined makes this decision very complicated. I've seen enemy Malak survive solo in GA and manage to 1v5 over 7 full g12 squads with no leadership ability. That's alot of power!

Lastly I wanna talk about this, I know it's been said by many, but I think we need to highlight this. The devs said they wanted to make it easier to reach higher gear levels right when they released the biggest gearwall the game has ever seen, relics. It makes sense, you add a whole different layer of gear on top of gear 13, you want people to access it. But then they bind the most value gear purchasing token to a crucial shard farm for approximately 4-6 months. There's no reasonable person who doesn't think that this stinks, that it's a contradiction. Unless the devs have another plan to increase gear acquisition rate, like double raid drops or decrease the prices of gear, this remains a contradiction. Whether it's lack of communication or someone going braindead 0 IQ and not thinking about GET tokens as one of the two main gear acquisition methods, something needs to be done about this or players are simply going to lose their willpower to keep playing.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    I only read the title, but if it takes willpower to continue playing it's probably better to just stop.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • JZ95
    167 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    I only read the title, but if it takes willpower to continue playing it's probably better to just stop.

Perhaps, I definitely think it wakes willpower to commit all your guild event tokens to another character though
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

I'd give it a read. But I agree, if you're forcing yourself to play. It may be time to stop. But then again, CG is in a spot to remedy or at least comment.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    TommySitt wrote: »
    TL;DR
    If the game isn't fun, it isn't a game, just stop.
    While I was spending $200 and nearly 3 hours of rng battles (why do they do that?) to unlock a useless 5 star GAS.
    Ive read a few people were struggling for hours, saw a video released by Operation Metaverse and were able to unlock him in 10 minutes. The time it took to clear any tier depends solely on your strategy and gear levels

If it took you that long to complete, it means you had an issue in at least one of the two areas