Future Meta, Changes, Positive, Negative (merged)

Replies

• I hope Boba is the new OP, I got him to 7* first as he was my favourite toon, now I can use him! :p
    Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    Seriously, enough already.
    Even with detailed information it would be difficult to really assess how the meta will shake out, and we were given only the barest of sketches. Rough concepts, and that's it.
    Think about how even one change to one character (Poe a month) ago can impact the meta. Or changes to mechanisms like speed leaders.
    "The devil is in the details." And we have no details.
    So nobody knows yet who will be nerfed who will be buffed, who will be good leaders, what damage types will be most common, or how effective any team composition will be. Stop complaining about things that haven't happened yet, or acting smug about how smart you were for farming some guy that you have no idea will be good or not, or telling everyone you have some magical insight into good future teams based on tea leaves or your horoscope.
    Say no to disinformation.

The upcoming changes suck, I was smart to farm Talia, and I have magical tea leaves.

Yes to disinformation.
  • reizse wrote: »
    or people can post their opinions and get ideas for what to run next. yes, some posts come across as arrogant and self-serving, but beneath it all, it's just sharing information. i don't believe anyone is trying to misinform any other players.
    people asked for updates, the devs give updates, the people speculate on new strategies and then you get posts like these from the op...all of which mean well, but apparently rub certain players the wrong way.
    i just scroll past the threads i deem unimportant or just fluff.

New meta: Boba L, Phasma, lando...blah blah blah everything else will suck....blah blah blah.... I'm quitting they ruined the game.....blah blah blah THEY NERFED ALL SPEED HEROES WAAAA

That isn't exactly what I'd call sharing information. Nor is it what I'd call speculation on strategy. That's who I think Qeltar is referring to. It's who I am when I say I agree, I'm tired of seeing those posts.
  • Vaders_Underwear
    233 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    This could have all been avoided if they would have tested the game mechanisms appropriately. They deserve all the complaints tenfold...I'll say it again, they operate like Microsoft let the users figure out the problems.

QFT

They were forced to release the game within a specific time frame to capitalize on all the TFA hype. So it is economic gain being placed ahead of a quality product, pure and simple. People get all caught up in their love for the Star Wars universe and try to ignore that fact.

I get frustrated when I jump on the bus for characters boom the game changes drastically.

Exactly why I won't give them a penny until I know what to expect. Would anyone buy a sports car if they knew that it might become a 4-door Camry at any time, and they would not be compensated? I'm not going to spend $$$ on a roster that could be rendered obsolete at the developer's whim.

If I'm going to waste my money, I want to be the one wasting it. I'm not going to hand it over to someone else and let them do what they please with it.

The car analogy is so over the top. A more apt analogy would buying clothes or shoes that are in style at the time but end up falling out of style. Or buying a phone then a better model came out. Just because someone spends a ton of money on the "best" phone doesn't meant that phone is always going to be the "best".

You're just wrong. It would be more like you buy a cool shirt, and then Wal-Mart comes to your house tomorrow and gives you a less cool shirt.

They are changing the game, changing the way the characters can be used, changing the way you need to approach the game. The market decides what is "cool" to own. The developers decide how their game works, get it?

Let's take your cell phone example, for example. Yeah, you bought a shiny, new iPhone 5. Then they come out with the 6. Yeah, the 6 is better. But they didn't take your 5 and make it run slower just to get you to buy the 6. Get it? You still bought the 5, you still own it, and it can still do everything it could do when you first gave them your money for it.

People love Star Wars, and people also don't want to admit that EA is taking their money and doing whatever they feel like doing with it. If I buy something today, I expect it to work the same way tomorrow.

I'm 100% f2p and haven't spent a dime on this game so you're last statement doesn't apply to me. With the iPhone analogy I still think it holds up. Yes you buy an iPhone 5 then iPhone 6 comes out and you're phone still works well. However it won't work AS well as the newer model, which I think is the same comparison to current meta characters. They're not removing the meta characters from the game and they'll still be useful, they just might not be top of the line anymore. rey could still be a decent toon but will perform worse than a newly buffed toon. Like your iPhone example yeah your iPhone won't be less effective on its own than it was before but in comparison to the 6 it would be slower.

Again, you're missing the point: It isn't about the 6 being better, it's about the 5 that still does everything it could do when you bought it. Yes, fine, release Jedi Luke and charge for him, that's great. I'm all for that. But don't nerf a bunch of the characters to make him great. Or don't ask me to spend money on him and then 6 months later change him so he is useless.

But you don't even know how fortitude and "nerfs" will affect the meta. Toons like rey, qgj, and GS aren't going to be "useless".

I understand your point, you feel because people put money and time into the game that characters shouldn't ever be nerfed. So Rey, GS, QGJ are supposed to be top tier the entire life of the game because people farmed /payed for them already?

This is coming from someone whose spent over a month and half farming qgj so it's hardly a bias issue with me. I haven't given EA any money, I run a qgj lead team in arena and gw, I just am aware and understanding of the fact that most games have meta shifts and characters fall off and others rise. The game would be boring if the same toons stayed top and others stayed unused.

I don't know how they will change things going forward, so I will wait before I make any major moves. And I don't expect QGJ to be the game-changer that he is now and stay that way forever. But don't take him and make him weak. I think Barriss Offee is totally worthless. But apparently (before I started playing I guess) there was a time that her attack actually did damage. I'd be pretty upset if I wasted $$$ on her then and wouldn't be able to use her now, and not because the game evolved, but merely because they just simply made her useless.

No one knows what they will change, or which toons will be changed, but there is enough history to be wary that there is a good chance they might screw someone up. I don't want the game to get stale or stagnant, but there have to be better ways to evolve the dynamics without messing with what I've invested resources in. And I would be much more sympathetic if it weren't for the fact that this game was rushed to market for economic reasons. Anyone who thinks they are taking the profits and investing them to maximize the quality of this game is lying to their self. The developers are taking the profits and investing them to maximize their profits. Blah blah blah capitalism blah blah I'm not trying to turn this into a philosophical debate, but they are here to make as much money off of us as they can, first and foremost. This isn't a fan-driven project, or a community-driven project. It's a product, just like anything else.
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    M9silent wrote: »
    reizse wrote: »
    or people can post their opinions and get ideas for what to run next. yes, some posts come across as arrogant and self-serving, but beneath it all, it's just sharing information. i don't believe anyone is trying to misinform any other players.
    people asked for updates, the devs give updates, the people speculate on new strategies and then you get posts like these from the op...all of which mean well, but apparently rub certain players the wrong way.

New meta: Boba L, Phasma, lando...blah blah blah everything else will suck....blah blah blah.... I'm quitting they ruined the game.....blah blah blah THEY NERFED ALL SPEED HEROES WAAAA

That isn't exactly what I'd call sharing information. Nor is it what I'd call speculation on strategy. That's who I think Qeltar is referring to. It's who I am when I say I agree, I'm tired of seeing those posts.

which is why i just scroll past those threads :smile:
    i would hope that when someone says they're quitting, that readers will know that's not even pertinent information and renders most of what follows as moot
    mighty chlorians
  • The only thing we know for sure is how OP Ewoks are.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • M9silent wrote: »
    I agree with Qeltar. While I am okay with speculation on heroes at 80 and team combos based off lvl 80 stats (things we have known about since 60), I am getting tired of the:

'NEW META: BOBA......blah blah blah

Or worse, when they hijack a thread and talk about the Boba team and how everything else sucks. Whatever.

I'm happy with the announcement they made and enjoy discussing the game. I can't stand absolutes. Only a Sith deals in absolutes....

Wait, "Only a Sith deals in absolutes...", are you saying my Sith team is about ready to kick but in this new format or what? Just say it!!!
    [LWI] | 298-352-583
  • Dark
    199 posts Member
    I came here to make false predictions and chew bubblegum.

And I'm all outta gum...

Another Classic ... lol
    Ally Code: 859-197-534
  • M9silent
    821 posts Member
    edited March 2016

which is why i just scroll past those threads :smile:
    i would hope that when someone says they're quitting, that readers will know that's not even pertinent information and renders most of what follows as moot

True enough. The titles can be misleading sometimes though. As I said, I do enjoy discussion on the game, whether from me or between others. Then you start to read.....heavily sigh....and hit the back button on the browser....
  • The meta change will not punish the top teams running speed DPS toons, even if Rey/GS/QGJ become useless, these top teams will still be top. Whales and spenders can put in enough resources to farm new meta teams, even from scratch. They might lose behind a bit at first, but will catch up very fast and become top teams again. The FTP are struggling to catch up the meta, they might just manage to catch up with the speed meta now, but they will lose behind again when the meta changes, especially when level cap is 80 FTP will have a hard time.

The current top teams can become top not because they accidentally farm the right toons, it is because they have good long-term planning,resources management or invest a lot in the game. No matter how the meta change, they will emerge at top again.
  • There appears to be two bandwagons here
  • Yeah it really is impossible to predict. Any one of the proposed changes is massive. All at once plus level 80 plus who knows how many new/refactored/individually buffed or nerfed heroes? It's practically a whole new game.

The only accurate assessment is "things will probably change. At least one top-tier hero will somehow become worse although may still see play. At least one underused hero will become much better and see frequent high-end arena use".
  • M9silent wrote: »
    I agree with Qeltar. While I am okay with speculation on heroes at 80 and team combos based off lvl 80 stats (things we have known about since 60), I am getting tired of the:

'NEW META: BOBA......blah blah blah

Or worse, when they hijack a thread and talk about the Boba team and how everything else sucks. Whatever.

I'm happy with the announcement they made and enjoy discussing the game. I can't stand absolutes. Only a Sith deals in absolutes....

Wait, "Only a Sith deals in absolutes...", are you saying my Sith team is about ready to kick but in this new format or what? Just say it!!!

@HeavyHitter72 The oppression of the Sith shall never return!

Ha
  • Dark
    199 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »
    +100000
    the forum just got worse with the update everything has been about speculating this or that.

Actually is better .. last two weeks were all about speed and nerf calls for Rey and Dooku, now people are talking Bobba, Fives, Oppress, Chewbacca, Stormtroopers .. Defense, Fortitude.
    I know they are speculating a lot but this is a forum right?, you can't tell people to stop speculating .. is not againts forum rules, just grab a popcorn and have fun.
    Ally Code: 859-197-534
  • ChefHaze wrote: »
    So seriously, chill out, relax, don't take it personally. .

+1

Lots of people imagine and speculate too much.

Many are anxious because they are in a competitive server.

I am in a very relaxed server. I get 1st or 2nd easily in Arena every day with 1-2 major competitors. It seems a little dead but there is minimum movement overnight.

I cruise to 1st every night with 450-500 free crystals and 950-1000 arena tokens. I hoard the crystals for packs recently for a month and opened 6 chromium packs. Not too shabby.

I don't care what are the most effective tactics and characters. I need a good enough team to compete, that's all.

I play the game at my own pace. I'll just level 5 of my characters to 80 and then I'll pick a few more to focus on.

Games are meant to be fun and help you relax. Some of you guys are just silly.
  • darkensoul wrote: »
    There appears to be two bandwagons here

True.

There are those who are skeptical. They don't want months of hard farming to go to waste (QGJ, GS, Poe, etc.). Totally understandable.

There are those who welcome the change because the current meta is either not to their liking or they have enough heroes built up to keep up with any changes. Understandable.

And there are those in between who just want to express their opinions of the game in general. Regardless, let's keep it civil and allow posters to express his/her opinions (good or bad).

• ChefHaze wrote: »
    It gets so tiring seeing so many people complain and whine about the potential outcome of the future changes.
    Yes, the game dynamics will change. FYI, the game is less than 6 months old. I am absolutely certain that it will continue to change for many years to come. Just because you have a top team today, it doesn't mean you will be top dog forever. That's what keeps the game interesting. Just because you spent all your time and money making your team maxed out does not mean they aren't allowed to make changes.
    I welcome these changes, the arena is boring and predictable. There are too many cool characters that are worthless, and there are too many worthless characters that are too important. Making these changes at a level cap increase is perfect. Great opportunity for existing players to change their strategy.
    It's clear that the devs are trying to get you to have a wide range of characters. Yes, they do this to entice you to spend money, that's their job if it weren't for the people spending money in this game, it would be full of ads, unreliable, poorly supported. The bottom line is, It is a free game and anyone with patience will succeed
    Anyone who sits and bashes the game and threatens to quit, go ahead. You will not be missed. This game will go on without you there are new players every day. They will never know or care about all these things that happened in the first 6 months or year.
    So seriously, chill out, relax, don't take it personally. The company looks at the big picture they are trying to form a game that lasts and stays relevant. They aren't interested in keeping it exactly the way it is forever. EA has a 10 year contract with Disney to make Star Wars games. These growing pains may seem scary. But keep looking forward. There will be 4 more movies out by 2020 just think of all the new characters they'll have, new modes of game play, I'm sure it's going to be interesting.
    I'm sure this post will be flamed by all the haters. I see what you write, so I know to expect it. But it's all good. I enjoy the game and will continue to do so. Yes, I'll have to adjust my tactics when they make the changes. I'm sure the longer I play, the more adjustments I'll have to make. That's cool. I'll roll with it.
    Pro tip here: If you aren't happy. Don't spend money in the game. That's really the only thing you can do. I'm pretty sure they just dismiss the whining and crying in the forums.

+1
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • Ah man, my original title was so much more entertaining, witty and passive aggressive...
    Whiners, complainers and belly achers, Oh My!!!
  • @ChefHaze It was a great title. Haha
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    Willkimm98 wrote: »
    I will enjoy the new update. More diversity and i will no longer see the same 6-10 characters again and again. And it gives me new characters to work on and im about to get bored with the game if nothing happens soon.

But you will see same 6 to 10 characters this is what people don't understand when everybody learns what the new meta will be within a few weeks the new meta comp will be everywhere won't see the 6 to 10 your seeing now but the 6 to 10 characters of new meta just like now what then does everyone cry again and CG rewrites the whole game again it's a endless cycle. In today's meta there's far more than 10 characters being used and there are far more options now people don't use because they go for the fast easy farms is all and that will be same in new update as well so keep your pitch forks ready people I predict within a month of new changes you will be at it again.
  • @Jabba Well, I personally, think that people are hoping more than just 6-10 heroes will be meta. Maybe 20 will be useful, or perhaps specific teams that accomplish relatively the same things. I think people are hoping that more than 1 type of team or hero will be useful.

Currently the fastest highest damage dealers win. Maybe when the update comes tanks and support can hold their own with the speed damage dealers. Maybe clones and ewoks can hold their own with Jedi, Sith, or other teams. Scoundrel teams, empire teams.
  • Faff2D2
    253 posts Member
    crimp47 wrote: »
    I have been playing this game for free, and my attitude remains, "Hey, look at all this cool stuff I can do! Thank you, EA."

If you have invested money in the game, YOU are the customer, and if you don't like what is happening, you can and should voice your objections. I promise you EA is not trying to intentionally upset or drive away the folks who make their paychecks possible. So, let them know what you don't like and why, and maybe you can sway their decision.

But there is one thing that strikes me as weird. People have asserted that the changes are an evil plot that will FORCE them to rebuild and re-buy. From my perspective, nobody is being forced to do anything whatsoever. If you have made it your life's mission to stay at the very top of the Arena standings come hell or high water, then yeah, changes that result in your perfectly optimized Arena squad no longer being the one true answer would be frustrating, but is life unlivable if you slip a few ranks? The Arena is just a small portion of the game (I spend as little time there each day as possible). I really think your maxed out toons will still be highly effective throughout the game overall. What ever gave you the idea that once you built your perfect squad, nothing would ever disrupt their relative overall capability when new characters, abilities, and synergies are being introduced all the time?

• Breetai
    858 posts Member
    I'll admit I didn't read all the post, actually not even half, but I'll throw my 2 cents in hoping not say same thing 20 others said

Meta always shifts. This is due to either new skills are buff/nerfs to current toons. This happens in all games. If the meta never shifted, then people would grow bored with the game and leave. This is nothing new to any game. That's why I feel like 75% of the people that use these forums this is their first competitive game they have played.

My personal belief is they are trying to make more team useable within the toons faction, without some oddball (GS) being throwen in. Right now that's not happening as all forums have something that just doesn't fit in the line up. Rather it's GS, FOTP, poggle, dooku/sid with all jedis, poe on droids ( which isnt to bad considering his best friend in the movie is a droid ), but you get the idea.

Also have to thing about qgj. He is everyone's leader now, but what about when he hits 80 and speed boost to EVERYONE, not just jedis. He will be the only leader you see. Something has to be done to counter this.

With the addition of this new health bar ( fortitude if I'm not mistaken ), that can not be healed, I think your going to need a mixture of speed and slow toons. Speed to knock that off so your heavy hitters can kill before receiving heals.

Now about Rey. If she gets nerfed and nerfed bad, I'll be the most **** off person in this game. I have grinded her non stop since she came out back in Dec and I'm now just 4 shards away from 7* her and she is one of only 3 toons I have geared as far as I could, because of how much gear she takes. With her gear being the hardest gear of anyone to farm, I don't think she will be nerfed, and If she is I don't think by much. I mean it doesn't even take a heavy hitter to 1 shot her now. Speed and power is all she has.

We all have to wait and see.
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    @Jabba Well, I personally, think that people are hoping more than just 6-10 heroes will be meta. Maybe 20 will be useful, or perhaps specific teams that accomplish relatively the same things. I think people are hoping that more than 1 type of team or hero will be useful.

Currently the fastest highest damage dealers win. Maybe when the update comes tanks and support can hold their own with the speed damage dealers. Maybe clones and ewoks can hold their own with Jedi, Sith, or other teams. Scoundrel teams, empire teams.

I have 18 characters usable right now I can take top rank with . I like switch up test a lot maybe others should try absolutely more than 6 to 10 usable. My shards top 20 has at moment 12 QGJ leads, 6 Dooku leads ,1 Phasma and 1 hk 47. The Dooku leads are in top 10. There's definitely more than QGJ teams in this game . I just took top rank with Dooku lead. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzqt1bbn4ys6x1h/2016-03-20 05.46.33.png?dl=0 . There are plenty other synergized comps that would win attacking as well example . Rebels, First order , ewoks have you seen video on you tube ewoks scary lil fur balls. Why don't others try these . 1 reason would be the yoda challenge. most stopped there builds to build Jedi for challenge . Another reason would be farm the easiest characters 1st . QGJ cantina , sid in squad arena, Lumi in Galactic, and I'm sure most like me took Geo from beginning he's on the 1st node in squad cantina.Theres no team unbeatable with a bad ai controlling your team on defense.. Try new things right now all people need to do . The characters are in game just farm them like I did like a lot of people did games only 4 months old instead of crying for nerfs take deep breath calm down have patience in a month there would be many more characters seen regularly takes around a month level a character to 7* . There's absolutely no reason to rewrite the entire game . SWGOH is just a baby right now let the game grow up is all I'm asking . I so agree there's some characters that need some minor adjustments add a little speed maybe some health example Darth Maul needs some speed, Ventress could use abit as well minor tweaks . The Devs should use effort for new content example ships , gear shop not exhausting effort on reworking everything . Since I seen update notes from Jesse I been on major tilt from this but I'm over it now . I'm just not going spend another penny on this beta mess of a game will use my hard earned money on something more absolute . So let the clapping memes start The long Jabba rants on this stupidity will cease starting now.
  • Abyss wrote: »
    ChefHaze wrote: »
    Abyss wrote: »
    @Abyss To be clear. I'm not saying I support the devs. Or think they make the best decision. What it really comes down to is that the game will change and continue to change and whining and crying and threatening to quit isn't going to make a single difference. So sit back and enjoy it before it changes again. Because it will. people that think the game should be a certain way, just because that's the way they would do it, get over yourself.

I dont disagree if thats all that this was. They arent just making a tweak here an there. They plan to gut the game as far as hiw toons work and hiw damage is calculated. Thats something totally different. And its not just 1 toon being messed with. Its virtually all of them. This is the worst possible way to fundamentally change a game. You font just flip it on end and see how the pieces fall (and if you think they have thought it through and know the outcome i truly feel bad for you).
    You have to make tweaks and guage results little by little so the correct path can be found/taken and so that the inpact is minimal. They are changing so much at once i will bet my acct that they break more then they fix (thats if anything is actually fixed).

See, I feel that game needed to be flipped end over end. It was primitive and simplistic. it would not be able to keep up with an ever growing number of characters, with an ever growing number of abilities. I don't see the problem with mixing it up and seeing how it goes. i think these future changes are going to give a much bigger range of ways to be successful. Which I support. wI'll there be growing pains? Sure. But I don't take it personally and threaten to quit.

I have not threatened to quit either (no one cares if anyone threatens to quit)
    Its not about them making needed or good changes its about how they are doing it. Destroying what we have built is NOT the answer. The devs even said that small calculated changes were how they were going to proceede from now on so that they didnt "over balance" toons. This is the opposite of what they said they'd do. Its principle. Its not to better the game, its not for the longevity of the game. Its to force us to re-spend to re-build and that coupled with doing the opposite of what they said they would do is why i cant get behind them on this. Its a cheap and dirty way to go about it that will for sure cause far more balance issues then it fixes.
    Add a cap raise to the mix and ppl now have to make hasty decisions they will likely regret furthering them potentially being forced to re-spend.
    This is just wrong on so many levels, its amazing to me that more ppl cant see it

Dude, ur the one who is blind. The point of this game is collecting and assembling teams of ur favorite or interested star wars characters. But majority of people are angry becuz most of the toons are worthless. Ur probably hardcore on this game and is farming GS QGJ and Rey. This news scares you cuz devs are gonna waste ur toons. But again to the majority this is a good change. A change that makes sense. Tanks will have a purpose. Slow toons will have a purpose. And all the stuff u said about forcing u to respend and rebuild, that only applies to meta chasing losers.
  • Mc1 wrote: »
    I quit whining, even apologized about whining and my drop rates were still #%$& today. Lol

Dont be sorry and dont apologize. You have to complain and whine even more!!! I'm doing it and today my drop rates are 120%
  • FOTM is how most games work. Never played WoW or Rift or any other mmo where patch updates will always buff or nerf classes? It stops the game becoming mechanically boring, allows you to try out new ideas and builds. Sometimes mistakes are made, some become too solid, meaning they get hit hard later or others buffed to compensate. I know I'd get bored playing the same 5 toons after a few months.
  • zerizut
    425 posts Member
    Ah man, my original title was so much more entertaining, witty and passive aggressive...
    Whiners, complainers and belly achers, Oh My!!!

Yes! I almost posted, well, it's in the one size fits all thread now, so here it is...
    yuoU1hj.jpg
  • crimp47 wrote: »
    I have been playing this game for free, and my attitude remains, "Hey, look at all this cool stuff I can do! Thank you, EA."

If you have invested money in the game, YOU are the customer, and if you don't like what is happening, you can and should voice your objections. I promise you EA is not trying to intentionally upset or drive away the folks who make their paychecks possible. So, let them know what you don't like and why, and maybe you can sway their decision.

But there is one thing that strikes me as weird. People have asserted that the changes are an evil plot that will FORCE them to rebuild and re-buy. From my perspective, nobody is being forced to do anything whatsoever. If you have made it your life's mission to stay at the very top of the Arena standings come hell or high water, then yeah, changes that result in your perfectly optimized Arena squad no longer being the one true answer would be frustrating, but is life unlivable if you slip a few ranks? The Arena is just a small portion of the game (I spend as little time there each day as possible). I really think your maxed out toons will still be highly effective throughout the game overall. What ever gave you the idea that once you built your perfect squad, nothing would ever disrupt their relative overall capability when new characters, abilities, and synergies are being introduced all the time?

Well said you should run for president