the new player experience stinks

I am a day one player, but back before ships I had decided that since I had free time and there wasn't a huge daily toll on time I would start a couple of alt accounts.
I dropped them once ships came around and they sat dormant. That is until my guild had open spots due to one of those great CG decisions that cause a mass exodus of players. I decided dust one of those alt accounts off to add to our raid tickets.
The Account I brought back was level 80. It had zero legendary characters, but It had a few ok characters that had been close to if not maxed when I dropped the account. Of course that meant level 80 and gear 9. Still I was hopeful because I would know what to farm to get legendary characters and thought I had an advantage I didn't have before.
What I didn't have was any of the marquee events, which while we went through them they seemed to stink, but they still gave fifty free shards, which is more than you realize when you are starting out. My arena shard was an older one, but I managed to move up in it fairly quickly... until I hit the wall of the players that were still active on the shard, or had been active for longer than I had. At around rank 500 I started encountering the EP meta teams. They weren't well geared, but I had nothing that could compete. I got stuck at rank 524 for the next month. I never moved, because I couldn't beat anyone higher than me and no one lower than me was still playing.
Once I hit that wall I just started trying to grind. In just over a month I went from level 80 to level 84.5. And my roster went from 25 mediocre toons with bad gear to 27 mediocre toons with slightly less bad gear. I thought about infusing a little cash to get things moving quicker, but I couldn't find anywhere that it would make a significant difference.
So after just a little over a month I evaluated my position and realized I had really not gotten anywhere with this alt account except super frustrated and with a lot of wasted time. and put it back on the shelf. I can only imagine what it would be like to completely start from scratch. Why would anyone want to. Progression goes at a glacial pace. It is the complete opposite of fun. While I have always thought the grind was way too slow, doing it without the benefit of having just big enough of a roster that I can earn some crystals. Personally I would rather have teeth pulled by a back alley bum with rusty pliers than start building a new account in this game. This is the new player experience.
TLDR; The grind in this game is ridiculous that is why there aren't enough new players coming in to support it imo.

Replies

• Options
    What you describe is a returning player’s experience, not a new player’s experience. Those are two entirely different things.
  • Options
    I would agree with otto
  • Options
    New player experience: They have nothing and are matched up with new players in all arenas.

What's ur point
  • Options
    GBahia03 wrote: »
    New player experience: They have nothing and are matched up with new players in all arenas.

What's ur point

This may be true but any/all new content is basically a big f you to all new players
  • Options
    Obi1_son wrote: »

What's ur point

This may be true but any/all new content is basically a big f you to all new players

New content? It's been like 18 months since we've had new content
  • Options

What's ur point

Well new players still have years worth of old content.

We're getting endgame content now.
  • GBahia03
    242 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

What's ur point

Anything new added is content and umm, JKR, DR, GEO TB, GA / GAC, HSTR (idk how old HSTR is), Malak, Padmé, reworks, GAS, 7 dot mods, Ships, Relics, G13, HMF, Chewie, C3PO, Marquees (all JKR, DR chars, B1, Droideka, Shaak, ETA, Embo, Jango, [Sniper chick], Crewless ship, ect.

I think it's a lot of content.

You just dont
  • Options

What's ur point

Anything new added is content and umm, JKR, DR, GEO TB, GA / GAC, HSTR (idk how old HSTR is), Malak, Padmé, reworks, GAS, 7 dot mods, Ships, Relics, G13, HMF, Chewie, C3PO, Marquees (all JKR, DR chars, B1, Droideka, Shaak, ETA, Embo, Jango, [Sniper chick], Crewless ship, ect.

You just dont

New Characters are not new content. What you can do with your characters is content. Once you get the character the event is gone forever. content doesn't disappear.
  • Options
    AnnerDoon wrote: »
    What you describe is a returning player’s experience, not a new player’s experience. Those are two entirely different things.

This is true you might get a higher place in arena, but leveling and farming is still a glacial pace.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    you're upset you let an alt languish without doing any of the pre-reqs for events and are behind in progression and arena? umm...
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    ottomaddux wrote: »

What's ur point

You just dont

New Characters are not new content. What you can do with your characters is content. Once you get the character the event is gone forever. content doesn't disappear.

New characters give us a new experience in existing content. Allowing us to beat things that we couldnt or easier than we could before. It's not new but it does change things and in some ways makes them more interesting.
  • Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    you're upset you let an alt languish without doing any of the pre-reqs for events and are behind in progression and arena? umm...

No not at all. I'm not upset about anything. I'm commenting on how horrible I felt starting over was.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options

No not at all. I'm not upset about anything. I'm commenting on how horrible I felt starting over was.

ah. fair enough. I think the real problem with new accounts is that CG allows people to park their new/alts and build up massive amounts of energy, and people can put them in guilds doing raids, so people start out on a new arena shard with gk, thrawn etc unlocked. it seems massively unfair to me, especially bc any new player off the street has no idea about this exploit/feature, so they start out and can't get anywhere in arena bc the sharps are doing this energy saving nonsense. I started an alt for fun but didn't want to wait for all that and it just sucks
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

How would you know? You didn't start over. What you did was pick up playing your old alt account.

I did the same on an alt account that had been dormant for 14 months. It was interesting. It was different. And I caught up to be able to reach top-20 in squad arena and top ranks in fleet arena. It can be done. Yes, it takes time, but it can be done.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »

How would you know? You didn't start over. What you did was pick up playing your old alt account.

I did the same on an alt account that had been dormant for 14 months. It was interesting. It was different. And I caught up to be able to reach top-20 in squad arena and top ranks in fleet arena. It can be done. Yes, it takes time, but it can be done.

So my alt hadn't been developed very much when it went dormant. It went dormant when gear 7 was the max, there were no raids yet and there were no legendary characters.
    When I picked back up this account it had 32 unlocked characters and I needed to unlock three characters minimum for any legendary. there were no ships and no mods. If you think that account could make top 20 arena in six months you are delusional. My point is even with this head start after five weeks I was no closer to progressing than when I started.

• ottomaddux
    490 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

New Characters are not new content. What you can do with your characters is content. Once you get the character the event is gone forever. content doesn't disappear.[/quote]

New characters give us a new experience in existing content. Allowing us to beat things that we couldnt or easier than we could before. It's not new but it does change things and in some ways makes them more interesting. [/quote]

Sometimes I use my left hand.. I imagine its a whole different person.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »

So my alt hadn't been developed very much when it went dormant. It went dormant when gear 7 was the max, there were no raids yet and there were no legendary characters.
    When I picked back up this account it had 32 unlocked characters and I needed to unlock three characters minimum for any legendary. there were no ships and no mods. If you think that account could make top 20 arena in six months you are delusional. My point is even with this head start after five weeks I was no closer to progressing than when I started.

If you believe, that picking up your level 80 alt account after years of inactivity gives the same experience in squad arenas as when starting a new account you're delusional. You don't have a 5 week head start. You're years behind your competitors in the squad arena.

However, since your alt account went dormant before the introduction of ships (and before Rancor raids and GMY were introduced according to yourself) if you had played smart and gone all-in on developing your pilots before joining fleet arena, you could have easily taken top ranks in your fleet shard for 400 crystals a day, once you joined. I assume, you didn't play that smart.

.... and what's with those six months? Where did you get that from?
  • Options
    The player experience stinks for all players at this point, hence why a lot of people are quitting.

The worst part is that CG don't give two ****.
  • Options

What's ur point

Well new players still have years worth of old content.

We're getting endgame content now.

Lol
  • Options

New characters give us a new experience in existing content. Allowing us to beat things that we couldnt or easier than we could before. It's not new but it does change things and in some ways makes them more interesting. [/quote]

Sometimes I use my left hand.. I imagine its a whole different person.
    [/quote]

Left & Right thumbs down