True RNG

Replies

• So, first steps for Skynet?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    So, first steps for Skynet?

Naw. It's just an arbitrary computational threshold. It has nothing to do with so called ai which is actually just machine learning. And since the post it's been heavily contested/bombarded.

https://www.ibm.com/blogs/research/2019/10/on-quantum-supremacy/
  • It's also not about A.I. but quantum computing.

This allows computations to be performed in which "bits" have many values at once rather than a single 1 or 0.
    This particular quantum computer was made specifically to solve this equation, which would take a normal computer a realistically impossible amount of time to complete. It's proof of concept level stuff, though fascinating to me at least.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • It's also not about A.I. but quantum computing.

This allows computations to be performed in which "bits" have many values at once rather than a single 1 or 0.
    This particular quantum computer was made specifically to solve this equation, which would take a normal computer a realistically impossible amount of time to complete. It's proof of concept level stuff, though fascinating to me at least.

I skimmed the article. Quantum computers, being the next step, open up more than just one door. Skynet jokes aside, there could be advancements in A.I. that could only be achieved with quantum computers.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »

Eh... you do know that "true RNG" already existed in computation, right? It's existed for decades.

The reason they are not widely used is that they are really expensive for the computer. pRNG is much much simpler.

Also... why should CG adopt it? I know that complaining about pRNG is basically a sport amongst a number of gamers, but seriously, those whiners would keep complaining even if they were given "true RNG", because what they whine about isn't a pattern that's going to emerge if you play for billion of times or whatever: they whine for not having been given what they wanted.

The century comment didn't make you realise the post is made in jest in relation to unending forum discussions?

Rng in classical computation is a practical concern rather than theoratical viability. Even Ibm's comeback to the 10 millenia computation hyperbole showcases several orders of magnitude difference.