New Meta Changes At 80 Discussion

Prev1
Wanted to start a thread specific to the announced goal of moving away from the current meta and being able to kill characters before they get a chance to take their turn.

Original Post: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/21365/community-update-3-18-16
2. Game-wide tuning changes
  • Related to the level 80 cap increase, we are making some significant changes to the combat tuning.
  • The goal is to mitigate (but not entirely eliminate) situations where characters can be killed before they’ve had any chance to act.
  • Defense will now be more significant in the battle
  • Speed will now be important in calibration of a character’s damage output. Generally speaking, faster acting characters will see a damage reduction and slower characters will see an increase.
  • The “Advantage” ability is changing. It will now be a guaranteed critical hit for a single action.
  • All characters will now gain a new mechanic (working name: “Fortitude”), which will be activated at a certain point in characters’ progression. This will act as another layer of health which needs to be exhausted by opponents before the character starts losing their health. Current healers will not replenish Fortitude. We may add characters and abilities in the future which will act on, around, with, etc. Fortitude.

How will these changes affect your current team and what team comps or synergies do you think will become more viable when these changes go live?
This is just for theory crafting and we won't know until we get closer but it is always nice to plan ahead.

Replies

• Options
    I'll start off with my first impressions:

This change will increase the need for turn-meter bonuses, if the fights become longer the more you can stack additional turn-meter buffs the stronger your advantage will become over time due to being able to use more attacks overall.

Buffing style characters will become more important because those buffs should last longer or be used by more characters if they aren't dying on the first turn and have fortitude.
  • Options
    With long fights stun will be less important but healing may be more important. But the big one will be turn meter.
  • Options
    When they say faster acting characters will have less damage, I wonder how the consider Ally / Assist attacks? Is that considered a speedy character and will they reduce the assist damage?
  • xJazzx
    808 posts Member
    Options
    Basically they nerf QGJ, Yoda and GS
  • Options
    xJazzx wrote: »

They will be nerfing more than that...dooku and sidious to name two others. I agree in the top post, turn meter advantages in any shape or form will be widely used in the upcoming meta like Han, Phasma, even Savage and Ventress to a certain extent. Last two because they have their own means of generating extra turn meter. Then really anyone really slow like Boba, Old Ben, again Ventress, Bariss are going to be strong IMO.
  • Options
    After thinking about this further what this new meta leans toward is turn meter manipulation with slow but heavy hitters (becoming faster with turn meter enhancements). Debuffs might be more useful than Buffing your own team.
  • Options
    Proc
    Leapster wrote: »
    After thinking about this further what this new meta leans toward is turn meter manipulation with slow but heavy hitters (becoming faster with turn meter enhancements). Debuffs might be more useful than Buffing your own team.

Ackbar could become a bigger player in the next Meta, Rebel teams might be better.
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options

Debuffs are invalidated by any Yoda team
  • Options
    Sikho wrote: »

What do you mean by this?
    I thought yoda took the opponents buffs and applied them to his team? So wouldn't the buffs and debuffs both stay on that team's chars?
    If you are trying to say they might negate each other's effects that wouldn't be bad because you stay at neutral vs the enemy gaining an advantage from yoda's buffing them?
    Also the debuffs and buffs taken could be of a different function, such as a speed debuff vs an offensive buff they don't factor into each other directly.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding your point or my understanding of Yoda is incorrect?
  • Options
    Proc

Ackbar could become a bigger player in the next Meta, Rebel teams might be better.

I really like his concept as a character. I have him 7* but haven't geared him/leveled him up all the way yet to try it out. Have you used him and seen any effectiveness from his skills?
  • Options
    Proc

I really like his concept as a character. I have him 7* but haven't geared him/leveled him up all the way yet to try it out. Have you used him and seen any effectiveness from his skills?

I've used him as an Ally in LS Battles and I went up against a Rebel team a couple times in the top-20 and he's legit in my opinion. The Rebel team was good in this meta. In the new meta especially with ST Han as a tank, they should be pretty solid. I bet Biggs will be a more viable character too.
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    Sikho wrote: »

What do you mean by this?
    I thought yoda took the opponents buffs and applied them to his team? So wouldn't the buffs and debuffs both stay on that team's chars?
    If you are trying to say they might negate each other's effects that wouldn't be bad because you stay at neutral vs the enemy gaining an advantage from yoda's buffing them?
    Also the debuffs and buffs taken could be of a different function, such as a speed debuff vs an offensive buff they don't factor into each other directly.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding your point or my understanding of Yoda is incorrect?

Battle meditation makes your whole team immune to debuffs.
  • Options
    @Sikho Ah yes that would make a big difference. Silly how yoda alone can make all debuffs useless =/
  • Options
    I think Empire chars will really shine, just a shame Magma and Tarkin are not farmable as Rebel teams will certainly improve. Vader would probably need to be 6* too.
  • Options
    I would love that. I have been working on a sleeper empire team just waiting for them to become viable. I really like a few of the empire char kits
  • Multar
    44 posts Member
    Options
    Since i'm totally f2p i will hate this.. I spent time and resource in farming QGJ, GS, Sid and even Dooku.. They wont't be the new meta so i need to farm more toons.. I'm scared that i will drop my arena rank.. I'm in top 20 since few days.. With new meta probably i'll go down until unblock new toons..
  • Options
    I think we all need to be honest in that GS is a tad OP. When in doubt add "GS" is the answer to an arena team spot, one has to ask that question.

I'm really hoping that the update will allow for more team synergy builds and not just the bastardized comps we see now where you just take the fastest of everything. It would be really cool to see Resistance, FO, Jedi, Rebel, etc in the top-10.
  • Options
    I think we all need to be honest in that GS is a tad OP. When in doubt add "GS" is the answer to an arena team spot, one has to ask that question.

I'm really hoping that the update will allow for more team synergy builds and not just the bastardized comps we see now where you just take the fastest of everything. It would be really cool to see Resistance, FO, Jedi, Rebel, etc in the top-10.

I agree. I think the biggest problem is the AI currently. A lot of how we play revolves around how the AI acts/reacts. Wit the team synergies it would be nice if it was more based on the decisions you made and who you chose to target etc. but such as the nightsister team, great on offense but terrible on defense so it's hard to run it consistently.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think the damage nerfs will be that significant. Health will be the key thing that is buffed. Even with Nerfs QG GS calling 2 tanky blog offense hitters with Phasma might still be doable. And that will still be an easy to farm FTP team.

If they eliminate the fast assist though FTP resources will have been wasted. QG will always be good as a lead of a Jedi team as well as his leadership ability is effectively add 20% turn meter each turn.

So who ever has good damage and health at the expense of being really slow will be key. So Savage? Maybe
  • Options
    Poe will become awesome again!
  • ubn87
    314 posts Member
    Options
    Chubulas wrote: »

They will be nerfing more than that...dooku and sidious to name two others. I agree in the top post, turn meter advantages in any shape or form will be widely used in the upcoming meta like Han, Phasma, even Savage and Ventress to a certain extent. Last two because they have their own means of generating extra turn meter. Then really anyone really slow like Boba, Old Ben, again Ventress, Bariss are going to be strong IMO.

Hope you are wrong, Sid deals quite low dmg as it is. Same with dooku but his support and should not so much anyway.
  • dmc97
    39 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with any changes that make purposeful synergistic builds the best. It should be a disadvantage to build a team of random misfits, as this would lend itself more to the lore of Star Wars. Let parity reign while making various builds distinctive, with strategies and counter-strategies. Then the best players on each server would not be the ones with one team that exploits the current meta, but ones with multiple teams they can run depending on their opponent or purpose (like defense on Arena). There is nothing more boring than seeing 20 of the top 20 people on a server all use QGJ as leader (or before that it was Sidious).
  • Options
    I am hoping turned base manipulation will be important. I also want to see squad synergies positive and negative be important. The fortitude allows for many possibilities with characters, abilities, damage factors, etc. I hope they tested it fully.
    Bye Forums.
  • Options
    Grievous leader essentially becomes useless now too against a few toons given the crit chance is guaranteed with advantage. Not that I have him but another reason to keep away from that shard pile.
  • Options
    dmc97 wrote: »
    There is nothing more boring than seeing 20 of the top 20 people on a server all use QGJ as leader (or before that it was Sidious).

It's not even just the leader. It's that each team is some combination or has at least of, QGJ, Sid, Dooku, GS. 95% of the teams in the top-20 have at least 2 of those characters in every single team.
    I am hoping turned base manipulation will be important. I also want to see squad synergies positive and negative be important. The fortitude allows for many possibilities with characters, abilities, damage factors, etc. I hope they tested it fully.

I would love to see some kind of added bonus to fielding a 5-man squad of a certain synergy. Maybe there's the leader bonus and then a squad bonus or synergy bonus that makes running a specific squad more appealing.
  • Options

this...

Take 2 of the strongest characters from the Star wars universe and make them even weaker than they currently are, and put GS down where he should be.
  • Options
    I will stick with my Jedi Teams and live or die by the light side of the force.
  • Options
    I am taken a gamble

My new Team will be:

Phasma
    Savage
    Lumi
    Dooku
    GS

QGJ Bench, Sid Bench

Hopefully all my Toons don't become Useless
  • Options
    I will stick with my Jedi Teams and live or die by the light side of the force.

I think Jedi teams might be even better. A speed squad with QGJ lead will probably still be strong, figure Old Ben will likely be better. If you're able to farm Ima Gun Di and Aayla, there's the whole counter strike squad.
  • Options
    I agree, QGJ probably maintains his usefulness as long as there are other Jedi in the meta, and with so many Jedi out there we might just see a shift from the faster ones like Yoda to slower guys like Old Ben.

But also consider droid teams, on my server I see a good droid teams in the 20s and unlike the speed builds I don't see them getting any nurfs, in fact some of them are rather slow and could see a buff to damage output. One of the reasons I can take out a team of HK-47/IG-88/IG86/GS with Poggle/Poe/Phasma is because I can usually kill 88 and 86 before they Poe can taunt.