Can I dump Phoenix Squad?

Prev1
When I first started playing almost 4 years ago, I leveled some dumb toons. Like Phoenix. They’re now useless, and just make my GP higher- thereby making it more difficult to get a fair match in GA. Let me dump all six Phoenix members, Biggs, wedge, leia, ackbar, (I’m never getting the Falcon, so he’s useless) ig88 (big mistake) .. and even Vader and nihilus. It would make my GP more accurate, and remove the penalty I get for being a long standing player. Thanks, (even though you’ll never do it, because all you care about is getting players to collect new crap)

Replies

• You are not being matched based on total GO, but the GP of your top X characters.

Based on your other post, you are in division 3. If you have a G8-10 Phoenix, they will probably have little to no impact on your matches when the top GP is taken into consideration. If, by any chance, they are G12, they can still be a valid team in your current division.

Either way, there is no point 'dumping' them from your roster.
  • You are not being matched based on total GO, but the GP of your top X characters.

Based on your other post, you are in division 3. If you have a G8-10 Phoenix, they will probably have little to no impact on your matches when the top GP is taken into consideration. If, by any chance, they are G12, they can still be a valid team in your current division.

They’re all gear 12. They’re useless.

If you put them on defence, they are 1 shotted. Using them for offense is a waste of effort- they don’t beat anyone without a 12-15k margin
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Zippy_3000 wrote: »
    You are not being matched based on total GO, but the GP of your top X characters.

If you put them on defence, they are 1 shotted. Using them for offense is a waste of effort- they don’t beat anyone without a 12-15k margin
    And in that case it's a choice that you have made at some point that you can't just revoke. Your choices matter long term in this game and it takes time to correct the 'mistakes' you regret.

In this case, Phoenix pulling you backwards will be phased out gradually as you surpass their GP with the top of your roster.
  • Zippy_3000 wrote: »
    You are not being matched based on total GO, but the GP of your top X characters.

Last night I tried and failed to solo a Phoenix team with my Wampa. All I did was take out Chopper. They had no zetas, and were a couple of gear levels below me. Not totally useless.

Also, what ships you running?
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!

• Last night I tried and failed to solo a Phoenix team with my Wampa. All I did was take out Chopper. They had no zetas, and were a couple of gear levels below me. Not totally useless.

Failed to solo xD

Yes, I know having the Phoenix squad leveled has a positive impact on ship combat.. but since I can’t afford the Falcon, I’ve been stuck at rank 60-45 in ship combat. Completely locked out of top spots by that one single ship.

So yes, i guess we agree that Phoenix’s only use is for boosting ship stats

Last night I tried and failed to solo a Phoenix team with my Wampa. All I did was take out Chopper. They had no zetas, and were a couple of gear levels below me. Not totally useless.

Failed to solo =/= useful def team.
  • And in that case it's a choice that you have made at some point that you can't just revoke. Your choices matter long term in this game and it takes time to correct the 'mistakes' you regret.

In this case, Phoenix pulling you backwards will be phased out gradually as you surpass their GP with the top of your roster.

Yeah, a choice I made when JKR and DR/malek weren’t in the game. So, new players have an advantage right? Hence my suggestion: let us dump crap off of our roster..
  • kiar1404
    241 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    ... like in the other thread:
    Exactly ... clear the full roaster and get all gear-mats just to push the current meta-team ... 6 weeks later do the same ... and why just getting gear ... push all to 1* and get energy back ... *rolleys*
    There are no uesless teams ... just player who do not understand the game.
    And if you dump Phoenix ... please give back Thrawn, too.
  • Zippy_3000
    110 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    kiar1404 wrote: »
    ... like in the other thread:
    Exactly ... clear the full roaster and get all gear-mats just to push the current meta-team ... 6 weeks later do the same ... and why just getting gear ... push all to 1* and get energy back ... *rolleys*
    There are no uesless teams ... just player who do not understand the game.
    And if you dump Phoenix ... pleas give back Thrawn, too.

Never said anything about getting resources back, or energy back.

You’re right. I don’t understand how CG matching me against an avalanche of players who outskill me is supposed to be fun.

You can have thrawn too .. he’s not useless like the Phoenix squad, but he’s hardly a game-changer at this stage in the game. His main value is in his ship.

It’s sad that this community almost always gives answers like yours. My game experience is lousy based on choices I made 3 years ago, so I’m just supposed to “Get good”

Hopefully, your crappy comment makes you feel better about yourself.

Post edited by Zippy_3000 on
  • Nauros wrote: »

It is, in fact, can be extremely useful. If you can trick your opponent to believe he can solo a team (or undersize it) and he actually can't - it's the very good move.
  • Hortus wrote: »

It is, in fact, can be extremely useful. If you can trick your opponent to believe he can solo a team (or undersize it) and he actually can't - it's the very good move.

I’m curious: how do I trick an opponent with my g12 zeta’d Phoenix squad? It is what it is.. they can see it, can they not?

• Hortus wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

To what extent can this be done on purpose, though? The way I see it, it's mostly the opponent making a mistake.
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    And in that case it's a choice that you have made at some point that you can't just revoke. Your choices matter long term in this game and it takes time to correct the 'mistakes' you regret.

Yeah, a choice I made when JKR and DR/malek weren’t in the game. So, new players have an advantage right? Hence my suggestion: let us dump crap off of our roster..
    What advantage? If anthing, you had a headstart on getting JKR and DR that new players did not. You already had certain characters farmed and geared that new players still need to work on. You can't possibly think that it's easier for them to get Malak than it is for you.

I fought on one of my GAC with full g13 phoenix team and it was nightmare :/ it crushed my best teams :/
  • Maybe try re-modding your squads. If modded correctly, G12 Phoenix should be viable still in Division 3 for either offense or defense (more for offense because they regen health and protection to get you more banners). Also, you mention that you are giving up on ships because you can’t afford to get the Millieniun Falcon? All you have to do is farm a few bounty hunter ships and you can get him without spending anything. The point of GAC is to be able to put the roster you have built to the test against other players. If you can’t win a matchup, then it just shows that you were either worse at playing the game or worse at building your roster or both. I agree that a league system with relegation and promotion would be cool, but right now it is based on GP so we adjust to that. My advice to you is find a way to win with what you have (maybe look up some counters online) and start working toward getting some of the characters you struggle to beat. If you want to just be able to win, check out Galactic War, that might have what you are looking for.
  • What advantage? If anthing, you had a headstart on getting JKR and DR that new players did not. You already had certain characters farmed and geared that new players still need to work on. You can't possibly think that it's easier for them to get Malak than it is for you.

Except for the new players who just used $$$ to take a short cut though right? Well, they paid for that advantage so.. but I forgot- you can’t ever mention the advantage of spending money here without a ton of fanboys defending the game so I’ll leave that one alone..

Clearly I’m not talking about players who just started.. just players who probably weren’t playing 4 years ago, and who haven’t wasted resources on toons that are, let’s be honest, no longer relevant. Wiggs, Phoenix, ackbar, etc.. (all at gear 12) they inflate my GP, yet they offer no real value in a match I’m in against someone who has a similar GP, but has toons that are more current / relevant.

You just admitted it - telling me I have to wait until the evolution of the game washes the Phoenix squad further into irrelevancy then they already are. So I’m penalized for “making those choices” whereas someone newer who doesn’t bother with them isn’t.
  • I’m in division 1 and I still get occasional defense holds with Phoenix. Are they the best? No. Are they useful when you need 16+ teams (8 defense, 8 offense, and possibly a few cleanup teams)? Absolutely.

Also if you are looking to dump Nihilus from your roster I question your choices. Any character that can insta-kill is extremely valuable. They are better that your complaint suggests. If you don’t like them, grow your roster past them.
  • Sorry but ig88 is great in GG droid squad and nihilus is useful
  • Zippy_3000
    110 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Orlimar wrote: »
    Maybe try re-modding your squads. If modded correctly, G12 Phoenix should be viable still in Division 3 for either offense or defense (more for offense because they regen health and protection to get you more banners). Also, you mention that you are giving up on ships because you can’t afford to get the Millieniun Falcon? All you have to do is farm a few bounty hunter ships and you can get him without spending anything. The point of GAC is to be able to put the roster you have built to the test against other players. If you can’t win a matchup, then it just shows that you were either worse at playing the game or worse at building your roster or both. I agree that a league system with relegation and promotion would be cool, but right now it is based on GP so we adjust to that. My advice to you is find a way to win with what you have (maybe look up some counters online) and start working toward getting some of the characters you struggle to beat. If you want to just be able to win, check out Galactic War, that might have what you are looking for.

I appreciate your advice, and I am of course, already doing that. I’m in the midst of the continual “catch up” to get DR.. (farming all remaining OR toons etc) and maybe one day, (probably after he’s rendered more useless) I’ll get malek. I’m simultaneously trying to get the Falcon, but it’s been out for what 6, 7, 8 months or more now? It’s a GRIND, and extremely tough to chase it when CG has designed the game so that you need to get about 10 toons and all their gear just to get the one you need. At this rate, I’ll get the Falcon some time mid 2020 .. again, it’ll probably be way less relevant by that time.

I have had the Phoenix squad for a long time- I have found that they have too many defensive moves, and not enough raw power to stack up against similarly geared teams of the same “rating”. There’s probably more I can do with mods, but I’m still not convinced they’re particularly valuable. For example: I almost never see my opponents using them in GA, and NEVER in regular arena.
  • JacenRoe wrote: »
    I’m in division 1 and I still get occasional defense holds with Phoenix. Are they the best? No. Are they useful when you need 16+ teams (8 defense, 8 offense, and possibly a few cleanup teams)? Absolutely.

Also if you are looking to dump Nihilus from your roster I question your choices. Any character that can insta-kill is extremely valuable. They are better that your complaint suggests. If you don’t like them, grow your roster past them.

I agree about nihilus.. he’s still useful.. I shouldn’t have added him in there. I don’t know why I did that.

And yeah, the Phoenix squad is okay for cleanup— but when I can’t ever get past the front lines they don’t do me any good anyway. Not great for offense, not great on defense.
  • What is your current arenateam? What toons have you available. For specific advise, you should post your rooster
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Failed to solo xD

Yes, I know having the Phoenix squad leveled has a positive impact on ship combat.. but since I can’t afford the Falcon, I’ve been stuck at rank 60-45 in ship combat. Completely locked out of top spots by that one single ship.

So yes, i guess we agree that Phoenix’s only use is for boosting ship stats

May I suggest, that you farm those BH ships to unlock the Falcon, then? It's quite easy to unlock it, and it will make a huge impact on your performance in fleet arena and GAC with fleet (along with your rebel pilots). If your whole goal is to do well in GAC, simply..... do well. It's all up to you.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

So, you had an advantage earlier, and those characters helped you gain rewards back then. Are you sure, you're willing to return all the rewards, they earned you, along with any reward your Thrawn and Chimaera earned you across all game modes?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    What advantage? If anthing, you had a headstart on getting JKR and DR that new players did not. You already had certain characters farmed and geared that new players still need to work on. You can't possibly think that it's easier for them to get Malak than it is for you.

Except for the new players who just used $$$ to take a short cut though right? Well, they paid for that advantage so.. but I forgot- you can’t ever mention the advantage of spending money here without a ton of fanboys defending the game so I’ll leave that one alone..

It seems like you're mistaking making better farming choices than you did, with spending money. You played almost 4 years and still don't have HMF unlocked?

Also, when 3v3 GA returns, you will have a use for your Ackbar lead and Leia again. Don't worry about it now.
    Clearly I’m not talking about players who just started.. just players who probably weren’t playing 4 years ago, and who haven’t wasted resources on toons that are, let’s be honest, no longer relevant.

I disagree with you. All the characters, you listed in your OP are still relevant:
    Rebel pilots are relevant in GAC with fleet battles. IG-88 is relevant as a leader for GG nuke teams in GAC. Ackbar leading Leia will become relevant in GAC again, when 3v3 GAs return. Vader is relevant under zEP lead. DN is relevant as part of the Traya trio or in odd clean-up teams.
    Wiggs, Phoenix, ackbar, etc.. (all at gear 12) they inflate my GP, yet they offer no real value in a match I’m in against someone who has a similar GP, but has toons that are more current / relevant.

4 years in.... why don't you farm current/relevant characters?
    So I’m penalized for “making those choices” whereas someone newer who doesn’t bother with them isn’t.

You're not punished in any way. You simply lack the insight on how to use the characters. That is hardly punishment.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    “Can’t afford” the Falcon? LOL.
  • To commiserate with OP, I have been playing since launch and don't have the Falcon either. Sure just get the BH ships, no problem. If it were not for the other heroes I need for geo TB, I would do just that. Hard node farms take forever.
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    To commiserate with OP, I have been playing since launch and don't have the Falcon either. Sure just get the BH ships, no problem. If it were not for the other heroes I need for geo TB, I would do just that. Hard node farms take forever.

If you aren't refreshing, sure.

Yes, getting the BH ships should be no problem for any launch player.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Hortus wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

To what extent can this be done on purpose, though? The way I see it, it's mostly the opponent making a mistake.

Well, it's not the universal solution obviously. Still I have my own list of squads which tends to be badly underestimated by my opponents on more or less regular basis - they surely could crush them but somehow lost. People do mistakes, and sometimes it's the only way to win some matchups. :)
  • Mine are woefully undergeared with zetas on Kanan and Ezra, and I have had them hold on defense a few times in Div. 1. They aren't a waste. Vader certainly isn't a waste. Nihilus is a great toon for using with Sion and Traya. If your Imp troopers can't take out a NS squad, those three toons are a great counter for NS teams. Also good for Geo teams.
  • To commiserate with OP, I have been playing since launch and don't have the Falcon either. Sure just get the BH ships, no problem. If it were not for the other heroes I need for geo TB, I would do just that. Hard node farms take forever.

It's 3 ships to get Falcon (since Slave 1 you should've had Slave 1 way in advance), for which you needed to get 95 blueprints a piece to unlock.The ships have been farmable for almost a year now, with Falcon defining the fleet meta for the vast majority of this year. There was plenty of time to farm them before geo tb even existed.
    Clearly I’m not talking about players who just started.. just players who probably weren’t playing 4 years ago, and who haven’t wasted resources on toons that are, let’s be honest, no longer relevant. Wiggs, Phoenix, ackbar, etc.. (all at gear 12) they inflate my GP, yet they offer no real value in a match I’m in against someone who has a similar GP, but has toons that are more current / relevant.

You just admitted it - telling me I have to wait until the evolution of the game washes the Phoenix squad further into irrelevancy then they already are. So I’m penalized for “making those choices” whereas someone newer who doesn’t bother with them isn’t.

Players who started 2 years ago have much more of a reason to have a g12 Phoenix team than players who started 4 years ago. For those of us playing 4 years, Phoenix has NEVER been meta--they came out during Zaul/triple-cleanse. The primary usage was to get Thrawn, and then a couple of missions in LS Hoth (which certainly didn't require g12 to complete). Even for fleet, they weren't part of any meta until Falcon (which you don't have). For those playing 2 years, Phoenix was the recommended starter team for pretty much everything--arena, gw, etc...

As far as the penalization, it's not a new vs. old player issue. You made a choice, at some point, to put your phoenix team to g12. Not sure when or why, but at that time there wasn't content out there that required a g12 phoenix team to beat. But you chose to put them to that gear level for some reason. At that point in time, presumably they provided you with value, and you reaped some rewards as a result.

However, given your other posts regarding GAC, allowing you to "dump" characters won't change your GAC outcomes. If you don't put in at least some time to figure out how counters work, to make sure you have decent mods, etc..., dumping characters will simply put you in a lower GP grouping where you will face the exact same situations you are now--opponents who outplay you and beat you.