Ship battle in Grand arena isn't "working"

Prev1
Greek_Jedi_Knight
34 posts Member
edited November 2019
Dear Players, dear Developers,

I wanted for long to say this in forums. Although i believe that the developers are not paying serious attention to forums,i ll give it a try.
The ship battle in Grand arena, is not working as it should and i will explain what i mean.

When we have a combined battle in Grand arena, ships and characters, the ship is in the Back position, and therefore a player with very strong character team ( Revan or anything else ) can Block the way and consequently the ship battle, can be never took place, something that is not intended, when we speak for ships and characters battle.

I have noticed that the majority of players do not give big attention to ships, and therefore from a combined ship and character battle, the Grand arena fails to fulfill its purpose: A battle with ships and characters, and has absolutely no difference than the battle only with characters.

The solution, i propose and strongly recommend, is to put to First line of battle the ship battle, so it will become unavoidable for anyone, if wants to win, to give a first battle with ships.
By putting the ships on the back zone, simply negates them, and there is no reason at all why we speak for Ships battle.

Thank you and hope for this to be improved.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Options
    I think the opposite.
    Negotiator is the problem today.
    Putting it in the front area would negate (ok, non always but often) to players without Negotiator the access to the back area having 2 or 3 teams.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    And please tell me, how many people do have the negotiator? In my server which i m first, i have seen not even one.

In my shard there are negotiators over rank 100.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    again, its a minority. I have seen only 2 players have the negotiator. Apart from that, its not unbeatable.
    I prefer to give a fight vs a negotiator which the average player dont have it, rather than to not give a ship battle at all.

Well I've seen about 100, so on average we've seen 51?

There are no character teams that are unbeatable either, so I don't see how that helps your point.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    I had a long career in forums, so i know how to avoid people like you.

Too bad, that you don't know how to avoid being wrong:
    The reason the Arena has the mark with starships is because we should and must make a battle with starships.

• Options
    I will say that the Negotiator is more prolific in many cases than apparent than @Greek_Jedi_Knight is seeing. My GAC round this time has 7 of the 8 players with Negotiator, 6 of them at 6 star. My personal shard has Negotiators well below rank 50, and currently we usually have 40-42 in the top 50, with the remainder being Home One fleets (and several players who alternate between Negotiator and Home one), and a cursory inspection of the fleet Meta report on swgoh.gg (link here)

https://swgoh.gg/stats/fleet-meta-report/

Shows that 58% of #1 fleets are now Negotiator, so the evidence is more than anecdotal.

In regards to the GAC map layout, remember that this is but one of several map layouts that we have seen before in early GA’s, this one is (perhaps by design) weighted slightly more towards characters than ships by having the fleet node in the back. There is also a map that has only 2 territories. One with a fleet, and one with all the character slots $ that is much more of a play orientated map, as there is no concealment strategy at all, simply who can be the most efficient attacker. There is no reason to assume that we won’t be seeing this map in a future GAC, as we know that they plan to continue to alternate playing styles (they have also declared the intent to re-introduce the 3v3 format, so it is reasonable to assume the map formats will alternate as well.

Ships will have their moment to shine as well, we must but be patient.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Liath ,

You are either a local troller, or a selfish and you don't want to admit what is more than obvious. And you speak lies. I have in my server very powerful opponents, not even one has the negotiator.
    In all cases, i wont follow you from now on cause your"game"will not work on me.

I dont pick up fights with trollers, hiding behind their keyboard. I m not here for this.
    I m one of the most famous players in Europe in WOT, named Greek_Jedi_Knight, field commander, with 96.000 battles (each battle =15 minutes) . I had a long career in forums, so i know how to avoid people like you.

The reason the Arena has the mark with starships is because we should and must make a battle with starships.

When the road to this is blocked, the Arena including spaceships fails in this purpose. Not all people have Revan, or Darth Revan, or anything else. Yes they are not unbeatable, but here this is not the point.

We suppose to enjoy the PVP Arena in ships as well and we don't see that; instead we see AGAIN battle only with characters, and the ships are on the back, instead of being in first line and give us the pleasure with starfights battles as they should.

Please developers, fix this and put the ships in the first line to give the importance they deserve.

Cheers.

Lol what? You think I’m lying that there are negotiators in the 100s in my shard? If your shard has zero then it’s nowhere near as strong as you think.

I can’t make heads or tails of the rest of your post, it all reads as gibberish.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Lol. You do realize that 2.5m GP isn’t even really end game.... right?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    It does when you’re claiming to be on a strong shard and accusing me of lying when I point out my different experience which is apparently due to you not actually being an end game player. ::eyeroll::
  • Options
    I kind of agree although I’m on an old server and everyone gets to the fleet. We have negotiators in my fleet shard, a few just have not geared t up yet because they are waiting for the Mal. Adding the single ship battle was not traumatic. They show ups have us place two and then attack with two or more as needed. That would be challenging.
  • Options
    Moving fleet to the front doesn't really solve the problem because you still only need one arena-quality fleet to break your opponent's defending fleet and the fleet zone remains all but irrelevant.
  • Options
    If they did that, people without Negotiator would lose theirs minds when met with one on the front line.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Options
    I have 2400 fleet victories without Solo s Falcon, without Hounds Tooth, without super deck. Just by tactics.
    Irrelevant to this discussion.
    Honestly guys, i dont get why you don't want to use your brain and make negotiator useless. It has weeknesses and it has many but apart from that, that s the default of a battle including spaceships, otherwise lets switch it to characters only. Happy?
    Personally I would be happy to see fleet in the front zones but it will not solve the strategic imbalance between fleet and squad in GAC. Any opponent who can block you from reaching fleet today could also hold the squad zone behind a fleet and your opponent only needs a single competitive fleet to clear your defensive fleet at which point it doesn't matter if you clear his.
    And as part of realism, first you attack fleet then you board it with characters.
    Rather ironic to bring realism into a discussion about pixelated alien spaceships.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Apart from that, why you react so nasty since we have a mix battle of ships and characters? Is that hard to have a negotiator on first line?

Having a fleet zone in the front line could work just as well as the current design. However, your arguments for it, don't quite hold.

In the end it's just a matter of preferences. You prefer it one way, others prefer it differently. Either point of view is valid. Whatever point you made could be made for the other preference as well. If you don't have a counter for your opponent's defensive fleet, you could be blocked from reaching the rear squad zone just as easily as a squad could block you from reaching the fleet zone with the current design. It's just different players that have the advantage in the two designs (while others are fine either way).

Your arguments don't help you much, when the only real argument is: "I prefer it differently"
    And as part of realism, first you attack fleet then you board it with characters.

Realism? You attack with laser canon's, light sabers and force abilities with plenty of sound effects in empty space. Don't fool yourself. It's a game.

• Options
    a player with very strong character team ( Revan or anything else ) can Block the way and consequently the ship battle, can be never took place.

To offer some constructive advice, as this is the layout for this GA and it's not changing this championship and will more than likely return. This is a problem you can fix yourself as it's a problem that applies directly to your specific roster composition and is relevant whether or not the back zone has a fleet or more character squads in it. Not always but typically, if you want to be successful in GA, you need to develop your roster and then save enough for offense phase such that you can full clear the board. Admittedly that's a bit more variable at lower GP with fewer teams available. But either way there are no teams in game that are impassable currently although some may require multiple hits if you do not have the specific counters yet. If you want ships to be relevant and believe that is where your advantage lies then develop the bare minimum of counters for the Revans, Padme, Gen Skywalker and GG and make sure you clear your opponents defense even if it means placing a weaker character defense yourself. That way you can leverage your claimed ship advantage. Yes that will take time but your opponents with those teams already put the time and resources into getting them... now you have to put some time and resources into getting them yourself or countering them so that you don't get stuck on them.
  • Options
    This whole thread (well, the OP mostly) wreaks of "I want CG to change the event to fit my roster and development style".

5* Negotiators can beat 6* Negotiators (I literally did this in yesterday's GAC) and a well strategized/developed HSMFalcon team can beat Negotiators too. Where they are placed on the board is fairly irrelevant, as "blocking" could occur either way - and if you are "blocked", you likely weren't going to win regardless as to whether or not you could beat their ships.

This really just boils down to a preference issue.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    If the OP could manage to stop preening for 5 minutes he could page back and read our debates on the subject from 7+ months ago. ;)
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    This whole thread (well, the OP mostly) wreaks of "I want CG to change the event to fit my roster and development style".

5* Negotiators can beat 6* Negotiators (I literally did this in yesterday's GAC) and a well strategized/developed HSMFalcon team can beat Negotiators too. Where they are placed on the board is fairly irrelevant, as "blocking" could occur either way - and if you are "blocked", you likely weren't going to win regardless as to whether or not you could beat their ships.

This really just boils down to a preference issue.

In fact, on offense I prefer to attack 5* or even 6* Negotiators with my HMF instead of mirror matches - it just less rng than HMF vs HMF. Maybe 7* or Malevolence will be unbeatable at last but it's remain to be seen.
  • Options
    But it is mandatory. Every GAC I've been in always has the winner clearing the ship zone. If you don't clear the ship zone, you'll lose. In doesn't get much more "mandatory" than that. I have spoken.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    See I do have a theory about this complaint, but first, If people are setting defenses that are making it impossible for you to reach the fleet section, you are playing too defensively, especially since at 2.5 mil GP you almost certainly won't have enough teams for a good offense and defense yet, I know, I'm not much higher. If you are playing offensive, and still can't manage it, there is an issue with your modding or roster in general, in which case sharing your swgoh.gg profile will allow people to help you. Just because fleet is in the back doesn't immediately lock it from accessibility unless you struggled with GAC beforehand in most cases. I would say putting fleet in the back is the better choice generally because fleets are less diverse, as you said, and so it's just less interesting even before you get onto the fact that being in the right guild suddenly puts you at a big advantage (Geo TB). Yes, it always has, but not this extensively when there are only five capital ships in the game and debatably the best one is gated behind that.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    I m really impressed that almost none wants or doesnt matter place ships in first line.
    I wonder, why?
    I guess you scared that a strong fleet front will ruin your strategy. Right?
    Otherwise, you wouldnt have problem for that change to make the GA with ships and characters combined as it should be and not by selection.
    The ship battle, gentlemen, either you like it or not, when we are talking for combined GA must be mandatory. The fact that is not happening, by bad planning, negates the original purpose of this Ships and characters event.

A. Putting the fleet zone in front works just as well as putting it in the rear. Every argument for putting the fleet zone in front could also be made for putting character zones in the front. That's the whole point.
    B. So far I've beaten every fleet in the first attempt. Your fantasies about my motives are silly.
    C. Ship battles happen. Don't be silly, now.
    D. Purpose? I'm quite sure, that CG has a purpose with the current layout. You may not like it, but that's not the same thing.
    End of talk.

• Options
    A typical player close to my GP (2.100.000):
    Character strength: 1.400.000
    Ship strength: 700.000
    Thats why all of you dont want the changes to as it should.
    Lol...
    To those that are pretending about "weak"roster, read again my first thread.
    Assume for a moment that CG moved that fleet zone to the front. How are you going to use that to secure victory?

Do you have two top quality fleets? At that GP I highly doubt it.

So do you put your best fleet on defense or take it on offense?

If you put it on defense, your opponent just needs a single comparable fleet to break your defense and he doesn't have to care what you do to his fleet zone.

If you take it on offense, your opponent again only needs one good fleet to beat your defense and doesn't have to care what you do on offense.

The fact that you only need one good fleet to succeed is the bigger problem, not where the zone is positioned. And in fact there are other problems around victory conditions and relative GP of squads vs ships.

But by all means continue chasing your red herring. :wink:
  • Options
    To those that are pretending about "weak"roster, read again my first thread.

Your first thread (found here https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/191435/star-wars-force-collections-asks-from-swgoh-to-take-over-the-legacy#latest) is a moan about there not being enough ship content for your tastes. That doesn't really speak much to the strength of your roster.

Your first comment in this thread says
    a player with very strong character team ( Revan or anything else ) can Block the way
    which is a direct refutation of the idea you have a strong enough roster to full clear your opponent.

The problem in your grand arena matches is that you can't full clear the character zones. You would in no way benefit from having a different location for the ship zone. You are correct in a sense that ships are pretty irrelevant to competitive GA matches as nearly all competitive players can easily clear the ship zone with a very small points differential (Some RNG involved when you have a slower negotiator but that can be mitigated with front line fleet selection).

This would be the case irrespective of the fleet zone location. So the problem is in available fleet selection and team comps and the devs are actively addressing this issue by adding more Cap ships (2 so far recently, with hints of more coming from ep.9 content).