These pictures show the two problems with GAC right now

Prev134567
buskw226q1j3.jpeg
jfitcj5azzu0.jpeg

Problem 1 - matchmaking - how is someone who hasn’t lost any drawn against someone who has only won one this deep into the championship? Surely previous record should account for something

Problem 2 - the big one!! - the reason one of these players is unbeaten is that GAC is currently pay to win. Anyone who paid for a seven star Y-Wing can only be beaten but someone else you has paid for a 7 star Y-wing. I don’t mind the inclusion of ships but I do mind that when their is a known 100% meta team the match making doesn’t take it into account.

This is a part of the game that should be a highlight and right now it’s between frustrating and uninteresting which is a shame.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    ?? Am I not supposed to be winning against players with a 7* Y-wing???

The only way that record plays into matchmaking is what league you are in when the group is made.
  • Options
    And y would someone with 7* y-wing have r6 HK and Marauder
  • Options
    Y-Wing is a far cry from p2w advantage.
  • Options
    The Y-Wing is easily beatable. It’s easier to beat than HT.
  • Options
    Looks like two whales, so..don’t care.
  • Options
    Not my match up but I stand by the idea this is a mis-match. Possibly two whales but one certainly bigger than the other looking at relics and ships on visible team.

Considering everyone think Y-Wing 7star with Negotiator at 6 or 7 star is so easy to beat; I am surprised that the top end of the ranking is so dominated by them since ships were introduced. I could be wrong, but stats tend to be a good place to start from
  • Options
    Not my match up but I stand by the idea this is a mis-match. Possibly two whales but one certainly bigger than the other looking at relics and ships on visible team.

Considering everyone think Y-Wing 7star with Negotiator at 6 or 7 star is so easy to beat; I am surprised that the top end of the ranking is so dominated by them since ships were introduced. I could be wrong, but stats tend to be a good place to start from

I've got plenty of krakens on my fleet shard (many in the top 50 in terms of GP in the entire game) and not a single one of them runs Y-wing in the starting lineup. HT is better. They all run it as a reinforcement.

• Options
    This is actually my match up. Posted to the China Wechat group (with permission)

Definitely getting out whaled here, but that’s ok. The first point is a good one. It would make more sense, if the match making is inconsistent, to match up people across the whole of each GAC on a similar number of wins rather than at random. It would make the later matches much closer and more meaningful. It is actually a really good idea presented as a complaint.

Like all China players the crashing issue is still the biggest problem with GAC so any match making issues will always be secondary.

There is no way to guess what occurs in lower GP groups by the range I have experienced has been for 200,000 less to 650,000 more. So far I have only played two matches against lower GP players. That suggests that I exist at the bottom of the top GP group. Certainly the match making system based on match wins means the matches at the end of GAC should be either very similar or high GP players who aren’t using their roster well. Either way I would definitely support the introduction of a match win/loss parameter into GAC.

As issues go, personally speaking, I am way more unhappy about there being no Mace rework. Mace is the New General Grevious - maybe in two years he will get an OP rework but for now he is just fodder for the platoons.

Regarding 7* BTL-B Y-Wing Starfighter - it is a fair observation that the high GP matches are impacted by this, but there really are not that many of them out there. Put into the context of what Capital Games want; it makes sense to benefit players who spend biggest in this part of the game. The same thing will happen in a few months when Separatist fleets with 7* Hyena Bombers and Vulture Droids start to appear. This is when it will become a bigger issue.

Of course the GAC rewards are not that great anyway. Since CG removed the Zetas, there is less motivation to chase GAC wins. It is a good piece of content that could definitely be improved.

• BobcatSkywalker
    2194 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    buskw226q1j3.jpeg
    jfitcj5azzu0.jpeg

Problem 1 - matchmaking - how is someone who hasn’t lost any drawn against someone who has only won one this deep into the championship? Surely previous record should account for something

Problem 2 - the big one!! - the reason one of these players is unbeaten is that GAC is currently pay to win. Anyone who paid for a seven star Y-Wing can only be beaten but someone else you has paid for a 7 star Y-wing. I don’t mind the inclusion of ships but I do mind that when their is a known 100% meta team the match making doesn’t take it into account.

This is a part of the game that should be a highlight and right now it’s between frustrating and uninteresting which is a shame.
    Problem 3
    Spends the time to edit pictures and cross out the players names...

Leaves ally code visible. Smh...
  • Mjhshanghai
    81 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Good point about ally codes, but people really have to want know who it is to search for those. Starkiller outed himself anyway, and not a huge amount of information there. They know they are playing each other. Just meant to be an example of match spanning two league levels and a suggestion that past record should be used to create better match making.

Besides two big whales in the game, maybe they want new allies...
  • Options
    They know they are playing each other. Just meant to be an example of match spanning two league levels and a suggestion that past record should be used to create better match making.
    Regardless, it's not a good example nor does it disprove that you are only matched within your league. This is the second match of this week, there was no member of div 1/2 in Aurodium when the matchmaking occured. One of them promoted since the moment of matchmaking, the other didn't.

You can't possibly expect all 8 players to stay in the same division for a week, or all of them to promote within the same time interval.

If you want to prove that cross-league matchmaking happens, get a screenshot of all players (in at least two different leagues) after they are being matched and before anyone sets defense. There won't be such a picture.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i don't get it
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    buskw226q1j3.jpeg
    jfitcj5azzu0.jpeg

Because wins and losses don't matter. You started out in the same league, so both of you were in the same pool of players that could be matched against each other. If you don't advance to aurodium league, you won't be matched to this opponent again this championship.

I don't see a problem.
    Problem 2 - the big one!! - the reason one of these players is unbeaten is that GAC is currently pay to win. Anyone who paid for a seven star Y-Wing can only be beaten but someone else you has paid for a 7 star Y-wing.

Problem 3 - Your false assumptions.
    I don’t mind the inclusion of ships but I do mind that when their is a known 100% meta team the match making doesn’t take it into account.

If your opponents have a team for which you yourself don't have a counter, they earned that advantage. If they paid to have that advantage, let them benefit from their investment. I see absoloutely no problem in paying players having an advantage.

Why don't you do something about those frustrations then? Find out how you win more rounds. Review your roster, strategy and execution. Find ways to improve. Improve.
  • Options
    @starkiller_1_SoC

There's a Wechat group of China-based players?!? Please help me find and join it
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Good point about ally codes, but people really have to want know who it is to search for those. Starkiller outed himself anyway, and not a huge amount of information there. They know they are playing each other. Just meant to be an example of match spanning two league levels and a suggestion that past record should be used to create better match making.

Besides two big whales in the game, maybe they want new allies...

There is no need to hide the players since you are not accusing them of anything.

You have yet to prove the cross league happened at the time of matchmaking though. It actually didn't, because div1 didn't have any aerodiums and div 2 had 1 at that time.

I agree that instead of random league pools, a W/L would be better. It's just that we have yet to see a single case league pools aren't working as intended.

Edit: or not W/L, but banners that also allows cross leagues but fits previously accumulated banners closely. This would also eliminate league dodging to get easier matchups.
  • Options
    buskw226q1j3.jpeg
    jfitcj5azzu0.jpeg

Problem 3
    Spends the time to edit pictures and cross out the players names...

Leaves ally code visible. Smh...

Ha! That’s the first thing I noticed, used 3 different markers too.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • EAS
    89 posts Member
    Options
    TheRHOMBUS wrote: »
    The 2nd problem is that some people have better jobs than you?

Oh so the problem is only about how much money a human being is able to make? Lol
  • Options
    I love the comment the OP makes about the Y-Wing and yet, he still beats it in his first attempt.

Common man, gimme a break. You didn't select optimal matchups.

GG you lost. Time to move on.
  • Hovahdo
    553 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    My understanding is that the Loser here didn't have viable GG counters. The Loser basically used his DR to kill a GG team and didn't have a viable counter for the Winner's other meta teams. If you're unable to kill GG without using DR, you're likely not going to win many matchups. This is not a case of a bad matchup algorithm. This is a case of the Loser not having appropriate teams to kill a common defensive team (GG).
    Post edited by Hovahdo on
  • Options
    Slightly off the op topic, but how is matchmaking each week determined? For example... if someone is in the league above me can I still get matched against them or in general do we get matched with players who are doing similar in progress with the tournament? I’m not doing too well this tournament so far, it’s my fault I accept it... but some of my matchups being that this is week 3 seem to be far better than me mod and roster wise. I know that it’s based on top 80 gp etc but am I likely to be faced against let’s say someone who’s in kyber next week when I’m still in a league or 2 below?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Slightly off the op topic, but how is matchmaking each week determined? For example... if someone is in the league above me can I still get matched against them or in general do we get matched with players who are doing similar in progress with the tournament? I’m not doing too well this tournament so far, it’s my fault I accept it... but some of my matchups being that this is week 3 seem to be far better than me mod and roster wise. I know that it’s based on top 80 gp etc but am I likely to be faced against let’s say someone who’s in kyber next week when I’m still in a league or 2 below?

You are matched with people who are in the same league at the beginning of the week, though they may get promoted after matchmaking and no longer be in the same league later in the week. The way the math works out for the leagues, this tends not to actually separate people very much.
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »

You are matched with people who are in the same league at the beginning of the week, though they may get promoted after matchmaking and no longer be in the same league later in the week. The way the math works out for the leagues, this tends not to actually separate people very much.

Thanks for answering my question, was figuring it might be that but wasn’t sure. Oh well shall carry on the mod grind and hope for some better luck with secondaries
  • KyoO1234
    270 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    buskw226q1j3.jpeg
    jfitcj5azzu0.jpeg

Don’t waste your breath here.

I tried to make a similar point, but the typical response you will get is: well if somebody has better toons / ships then you s/he should win! The just invested their time/money smarter than you.

I think people just don’t understand the concept of “fair matchmaking”
  • Options
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    buskw226q1j3.jpeg
    jfitcj5azzu0.jpeg

I tried to make a similar point, but the typical response you will get is: well if somebody has better toons / ships then you s/he should win! The just invested their time/money smarter than you.

Except that the person who seems to be at a disadvantage here also has the most P2W toon in the game in their arena team... The only legitimate argument here is the fact that people in the very bottom of a league can still be matched with people in the every top of the league. However the only thing that could actually fix the fairness of matchmaking without making it too easy to exploit would be to re-value the GP for every toon in the game, and make those numbers change based on their abilities. Everything will always come back to the fact that 20k GP on DR isn't the same as 20k GP on Lobot
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    [...]

Do you understand the concept that fair matches and even matches are not necessarily the same thing?

• Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    [...]

Do you understand the concept that fair matches and even matches are not necessarily the same thing?

I've always heard it as "there's a difference between fair and equal". Fair is subjective, equal is measurable. There's no way to get universal consensus on "fair" and trying to do so is just a waste of everyone's time.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    [...]

I've always heard it as "there's a difference between fair and equal". Fair is subjective, equal is measurable. There's no way to get universal consensus on "fair" and trying to do so is just a waste of everyone's time.

And no one wants equal because "GAC sucks and is boring since everyone uses the same teams on offense and defense".
  • Options
    Since this is all getting aired out in the open....I might as well chip in. I am the mysterious Alpha Squad member who was redacted (but not really since there is an ally code still). Thank you to my Alpha Squad mates for bringing this thread to my attention. I will address the 2 points made by the OP.

1st - couldn't agree with you more. I wish I was being paired up against other people with a similar win/loss record. However, this isn't the only problem with current match making algorithms. Take a minute and look at the current top 50 in the world for this GAC - an overwhelming majority of them are low to mid-level GP accounts in this bracket. These are smart players with lean rosters and a relatively low GP compared to the bracket they are in. The reason you see so few whale/kraken accounts at the very top is because we are being matched against each other where both people are putting up 7 meta defense's and there is little to no room for under-manned wins and even less room to try for these ridiculous FO feats. I've been beaten by accounts with far less GP than me because of well thought out defenses that forced me to make bad decisions on offense. I've also beaten far larger accounts for the same reason. I've looked at this particular opponent's roster thoroughly and I have set up a defense that I feel will force him to make tough choices. But I can also tell you that he/she has all the necessary pieces needed to clear my defense cleanly - but that depends on how much thought and preparation he has put into the match on his end. I win my matches because I take the time to scout my opponents roster and I put up a defense I think he will struggle with while saving myself enough ammunition left to clear what I think he will put up against me.

2nd - yes; I spent money on y-wing. Does that make my fleet unbeatable? (This is assuming that I even put Negotiator on defense) Ask anyone who has 7* y-wings in their shard if it requires a true mirror match to beat. Y-wing is certainly not "unbeatable". I fall every day as far as I did with HT in my lineup, and I'm the only one in my shard that has one. If you think it's unbeatable then its a learn to play issue, not a pay to win issue.

- Kurama
    Alpha Squad Territory War Captain