These pictures show the two problems with GAC right now

Replies

• thecarterologist958
    1111 posts Member
    edited December 2019

I believe that's called gambling, whats the saying probability has no memory poor strategy.

It doesn't, however cumulative probability being a thing means this isn't gambling. If you're complaint is the fact that you are losing credits, then I hate to let you down, but mods won't win you them back directly.
  • dimi4a wrote: »

Some players have limited resources.

All players have limited resources, that's what makes it a resource management game.

• I believe that's called gambling, whats the saying probability has no memory poor strategy.

It doesn't, however cumulative probability being a thing means this isn't gambling. If you're complaint is the fact that you are losing credits, then I hate to let you down, but mods won't win you them back directly.

I put 0 time and effort into mods and PVP in general and it doesn't change the fact it's poor strategy.

Yes, but some can afford to spend a lot more for those resources than others.

Obviously, what's you're point?

I put 0 time and effort into mods and PVP in general and it doesn't change the fact it's poor strategy.

You're right, putting 0 time and effort into either area is a poor strategy. Also what's your issue if you don't care about PVP?

Yes, but some can afford to spend a lot more for those resources than others.

Obviously, what's you're point?

You're right, putting 0 time and effort into either area is a poor strategy. Also what's your issue if you don't care about PVP?

Just becuasse you don't try at something doesn't mean 1 you're not good at it and 2 can't debate about it.

Furthermore whats your issue with calling none issues issues?
  • thecarterologist958
    1111 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Just becuasse you don't try at something doesn't mean 1 you're not good at it and 2 can't debate about it.

Furthermore whats your issue with calling none issues issues?

Just because something works doesn't mean it's a good strategy, and I never said you couldn't, it's called curiosity. Also that's a lot of issues in one sentence, if you don't have issues with any of this, why take up a position opposed to it, that would be unnecessarily inflammatory. But yeah, given I don't have an issue with non-issues being issues, I would guess it's a non-issues-issues non-issue issue?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    dimi4a wrote: »
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    Fixer wrote: »
    If you put NS or Geo squads on defense you have planned to an extent sure and you made sure they have support toons by default and strong chemistry and even strong overall. But could you really look yourself in the mirror and say that took any form of ingenuity or skill or tactics.
    The tactics comes from the place you set then and the way you mod them. Placing certain teams if you have them is a no-brainer, yet setting them up to shut down typical counters is more about skill.

For instance, you can mod Geos to give Traya a hard time and the very least steal several banners if not a first time victory. You can mod your NS in a way in which attacking them with anything below Padmé's power level is a gamble. In this case, it starts turning into skill/strategy.
    I hate to break it to you, but this is not strategy. This is simply outspending your opponent (with money and or time invested)
    Is it, now? You can beat pretty much any opponent that does not have over two times your mod inventory if you just know where to place them.

Of course, as long as you pick gearing your favourite heroes over some no-name characters (which have more use), it's not going to work. But blaming every loss on being outmatched or outspent is starting to get an outdated excuse.

Except you forget that getting mods is pure RNG therefore no strategy involved here.

Getting mods is absolutely under your control and where the failure lies for people with bad mods.

The "luck of the draw" isn't in anyone's "control".

Uhh do i really have to explain everything? My point is that "whales" could afford way more mod refreshes per day than non spenders.

I repeat: Obviously, what's your point?
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    If you put NS or Geo squads on defense you have planned to an extent sure and you made sure they have support toons by default and strong chemistry and even strong overall. But could you really look yourself in the mirror and say that took any form of ingenuity or skill or tactics.
    The tactics comes from the place you set then and the way you mod them. Placing certain teams if you have them is a no-brainer, yet setting them up to shut down typical counters is more about skill.

For instance, you can mod Geos to give Traya a hard time and the very least steal several banners if not a first time victory. You can mod your NS in a way in which attacking them with anything below Padmé's power level is a gamble. In this case, it starts turning into skill/strategy.
    I hate to break it to you, but this is not strategy. This is simply outspending your opponent (with money and or time invested)
    Is it, now? You can beat pretty much any opponent that does not have over two times your mod inventory if you just know where to place them.

Of course, as long as you pick gearing your favourite heroes over some no-name characters (which have more use), it's not going to work. But blaming every loss on being outmatched or outspent is starting to get an outdated excuse.

Except you forget that getting mods is pure RNG therefore no strategy involved here.

Getting mods is absolutely under your control and where the failure lies for people with bad mods.

The number of draws is.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Ultimately RNG decides the stats of a mod, regardless of how many refreshes you do per day and you may do 5 refreshes and get 5 great mods or do 25 refreshes and still get only 5 great mods. That's not much of a strategy regarding an aspect as crucial for battles as mods are.

You decide how many and which mods you farm, buy and slice. That's the strategy part.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    This is true, just as it is true that for every extra refresh you do, the chances of getting a good mod increase. it's called probability.

Probability isn't strategy.

Dedicating your resources to intentionally improving it is.

Some players have limited resources.

And some wear striped shirts.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

However, how often you draw and which types of draw you perform is.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member

So is the "luck of the draw" to blame for your almost 5m GP roster having a +16 as your 13th fastest mod? Or is it to blame for you putting it on Lobot? Or is it to blame for your fastest being a +23 tenacity set / potency primary cross on GG?

No
    No
    No
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member

So is the "luck of the draw" to blame for your almost 5m GP roster having a +16 as your 13th fastest mod? Or is it to blame for you putting it on Lobot? Or is it to blame for your fastest being a +23 tenacity set / potency primary cross on GG?

No
    No
    No

Follow up

1) I have to get down to my 70th mod before I hit +16
    2) I have 4.5m GP
    3) I have no mods on Lobot
    4) My GG has a health/health/health cross.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member

No
    No
    No

He got three NOs. Talk about luck of the draw. I only get a NO like 30% of the time.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    Ultimately RNG decides the stats of a mod, regardless of how many refreshes you do per day and you may do 5 refreshes and get 5 great mods or do 25 refreshes and still get only 5 great mods. That's not much of a strategy regarding an aspect as crucial for battles as mods are.

You decide how many and which mods you farm, buy and slice. That's the strategy part.

Again that won't help you much if you have bad RNG on mod stats...

Og course it does. Keep going until you have good RNG. Also choose carefully which mods to farm, buy and slice. Don't waste your resources. It's quite simple, really.

For some reason you refuse to accept the obvious, logical truth. This discussion with you is going nowhere. I'll stop wasting more bandwidth on it after this.
    ...and can't afford to do many refreshes per day due to lack of resources, ...

As someone else already pointed out to you: We all have limited resources. That's why it matters, how you spend those resources.

F.ex. when slicing a mod, do you stop slicing further, when it had the first non-speed secondary upgrade? After the second one? After the third? Du you slice a mod with only +3 secondary speed to begin with? +4? Do you slice mods with speed secondary stats, but an inferior primary star or set type?
    ... unlike big spenders who can invest more in mod farming, which in turn means they are more likely to have more and better mods on their characters.

Yes, spenders have an advantage. It's all good.
    That's mainly RNG and $ playing the bigger role here with strategy having only a small part in this.

Well, at least you moved from "it's all RNG" to "strategy has a small part". Congratulations.

Over and out

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited December 2019

Where would your incentive be in GAC to enhance your relic from tier 6 to tier 7, if you would never face players with tier 7 relic teams, if you yourself kept yours at tier 6?

I already answered that - the incentive is in squad arena, TB and TW - not GAC. Besides, aren't you the one who was touting that GAC matchups are trying to match people with similar strength rosters? By design GAC doesn't incentivize roster development as it is based on a snapshot of your roster when you enter and matches you as evenly as possible with people of similar strength rosters. Theoretically.

Also, can we please stop this silly notion that somehow being matched up with harder opponents in GAC is "incentive", because that logically doesn't make any sense from the other player's perspective. Where is my incentive to strengthen my roster if I am the strongest in the group of 8 and skate to 3 easy wins?

If you're going to have a point, at least try to make it logically hold together. Saying, on the one hand that GAC matches players in the same ballpark, roster-wise - yet, also trying to suggest that weaker players are being intentionally matchup up against stronger rosters to encourage roster development, doesn't make sense logically. Especially when one considers the fact that roster strength is a continuum across the entire player base.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

Again that won't help you much if you have bad RNG on mod stats and can't afford to do many refreshes per day due to lack of resources, unlike big spenders who can invest more in mod farming, which in turn means they are more likely to have more and better mods on their characters. That's mainly RNG and $ playing the bigger role here with strategy having only a small part in this.

How you allocate your resources is the strategy bit. There is ofc allure on farming shards, pushing gear tiers, zetaing stuff. But if you are pushing your mm gp without pushing your mods, you'll be even at more of a disadvantage. "it's luck anyways" narrative hurts you significantly in the long run, because it makes you skip this priority investment.

If you bot all your pools and carefully check people's mods, you'll see that there's indeed a norm for your particular gp. Just like always people only check 20+, 25+. But that's not really the only frontier mod race is taking place. How many 10+ and 15+s you have is very telling of how much resources you have put into the mod farming. And when you see they have 2x-3x as much of those than you, it's not sheer dumb luck they also have much more god mods than you.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »

Again that won't help you much if you have bad RNG on mod stats and can't afford to do many refreshes per day due to lack of resources, unlike big spenders who can invest more in mod farming, which in turn means they are more likely to have more and better mods on their characters. That's mainly RNG and $ playing the bigger role here with strategy having only a small part in this.

How you allocate your resources is the strategy bit. There is ofc allure on farming shards, pushing gear tiers, zetaing stuff. But if you are pushing your mm gp without pushing your mods, you'll be even at more of a disadvantage. "it's luck anyways" narrative hurts you significantly in the long run, because it makes you skip this priority investment.

If you bot all your pools and carefully check people's mods, you'll see that there's indeed a norm for your particular gp. Just like always people only check 20+, 25+. But that's not really the only frontier mod race is taking place. How many 10+ and 15+s you have is very telling of how much resources you have put into the mod farming. And when you see they have 2x-3x as much of those than you, it's not sheer dumb luck they also have much more god mods than you.

Of course it's not sheer luck, it's the fruit of many attempts and refreshes and for that you need resources, but even if you allocate your resources wisely that alone won't be enough when you face someone who can afford to spend $ on mod farming and simply beat you in mod quality and quantity.

Sure, I agree. There's not that many of those people as people assume. When you compare your full extend of mods with the others in your mods, if you are not at least average, you should deduct you are constantly falling behind. 3x daily puts me around the average of my pretty high gp even though I'm lacking in god mods (below average). Currently I'm matched with a dolphin/whale similarly visible from the extend of every category in their mod distribution.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Where would your incentive be in GAC to enhance your relic from tier 6 to tier 7, if you would never face players with tier 7 relic teams, if you yourself kept yours at tier 6?

I already answered that - the incentive is in squad arena, TB and TW - not GAC.

Meanwhile others also find an incentive in trying to stay competitive or become competitive in GAC.
    Besides, aren't you the one who was touting that GAC matchups are trying to match people with similar strength rosters?

Similar != identical.

Don't misinterpret my previous statements.

Strength != roster strength.

Don't twist my previous statements.

Players are matched by total roster GP (divisions), relevant GP and previous performance (leagues) - not roster strength.
    By design GAC doesn't incentivize roster development as it is based on a snapshot of your roster when you enter...

And when you enter your next GA a new snapshot is taken. Do you choose to improve your roster in between snapshots?
    ... and matches you as evenly as possible with people of similar strength rosters. Theoretically.

As evenly as possible? Similar strength rosters? I'm quite sure that's neither how it works, nor how CG intends it to work.
    Also, can we please stop this silly notion that somehow being matched up with harder opponents in GAC is "incentive", because that logically doesn't make any sense from the other player's perspective.

If I want to win more rounds - if I want to begin winning some of the rounds, I would lose today - I find ways to improve. That's incentive. Makes sense to me, but for some odd reason not to you.
    Where is my incentive to strengthen my roster if I am the strongest in the group of 8 and skate to 3 easy wins?

Do you want to be the strongest in your next group of 8 as well? And your next?
    Saying, on the one hand that GAC matches players in the same ballpark, roster-wise - yet, also trying to suggest that weaker players are being intentionally matchup up against stronger rosters to encourage roster development, doesn't make sense logically.

The same ballpark? Matching by relevant GP (small varians) and division (larger varians in total GP) could be described as "the same ballpark". OK.

I never claimed, that weaker players are intentionally matched against stronger rosters. Such matches are not prevented, but that is not the same thing.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

Of course it's not sheer luck, it's the fruit of many attempts and refreshes and for that you need resources, but even if you allocate your resources wisely that alone won't be enough when you face someone who can afford to spend $ on mod farming and simply beat you in mod quality and quantity.

Sure, I agree. There's not that many of those people as people assume. When you compare your full extend of mods with the others in your mods, if you are not at least average, you should deduct you are constantly falling behind. 3x daily puts me around the average of my pretty high gp even though I'm lacking in god mods (below average). Currently I'm matched with a dolphin/whale similarly visible from the extend of every category in their mod distribution.

I'm in the same situation, but still strategy alone on mod farming will only get you so far. If you are not a big spender and without good RNG on mod stats which is essential, you don't stand a chance against players with god mods.

There are not that many big spenders. If one is at the bottom of their pools almost every week, spenders are not the reason. I got kyber 2 gacs and missed it at the edge one time...as f2p and even though I have lesser god mods than most; merely 15 20+s, but 121 15+s and 364 10+s goes to show I'm simply putting into mods it's due.
  • Waqui wrote: »

Meanwhile others also find an incentive in trying to stay competitive or become competitive in GAC.
    Besides, aren't you the one who was touting that GAC matchups are trying to match people with similar strength rosters?

Similar != identical.

Players are matched by total roster GP (divisions), relevant GP and previous performance (leagues) - not roster strength.

Source? The only thing we know for certain is that the matchmaking algorithm takes top 60-80 character GP into account. Everything else in your statement is an assumption on your part.

I don't have to twist your previous statements. You arguments aren't logical. GAC takes a roster snapshot then matches you up based on the GP of top 60-80 characters. If that doesn't improve, then your matchups don't get more difficult the next time. There is literally no incentive built into GAC to improve your roster. And there doesn't need to be. Such an incentive already exists in almost every other aspect of the game (TB, both arenas, TW, etc.)

I'm not sure why you continue to cling to the notion that GAC has to create incentive to strengthen your roster, when, by the very nature of it's design, it clearly does not.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

Similar != identical.

Source? The only thing we know for certain is that the matchmaking algorithm takes top 60-80 character GP into account. Everything else in your statement is an assumption on your part.

I don't have to twist your previous statements. You arguments aren't logical. GAC takes a roster snapshot then matches you up based on the GP of top 60-80 characters. If that doesn't improve, then your matchups don't get more difficult the next time. There is literally no incentive built into GAC to improve your roster. And there doesn't need to be. Such an incentive already exists in almost every other aspect of the game (TB, both arenas, TW, etc.)

I'm not sure why you continue to cling to the notion that GAC has to create incentive to strengthen your roster, when, by the very nature of it's design, it clearly does not.

Not sure what it is that you are asking the source for. You get matched within your division and league, you can check for yourself at the time of matchmaking as everyone who did saw the same. As weeks pass, this yields (quiet imperfectly at that) those that have been more successful in the first week get matched with eachother merely due to the same league cap enforced and vice versa.
  • thecarterologist958
    1111 posts Member
    edited December 2019

Everything he stated was explained fact with regards to matchmaking, division is chosen by total GP, league is based on your performance, and relevant GP is the factor that they matchmake on, within division and league. Also his arguments are perfectly logical, what you are suggesting is because the matchups won't get harder, you should just never improve your top 60-80, which is a stupid suggestion, because the next thing that comes along will be a new meta, so over time your roster will become weak compared to players that work on them, and yes, working on new metas will boost that GP, so don't suggest otherwise. The nature of this game means matchups get more difficult as people progress, so you need to try and keep up. Otherwise what's the point of the game as a whole? GAC doesn't have to incentivise people, but it does so anyway, so I don't know what you're trying to say, but either it's wrong or you aren't getting the point across well.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

Everything he stated was explained fact with regards to matchmaking, division is chosen by total GP, league is based on your performance, and relevant GP is the factor that they matchmake on, within division and league. Also his arguments are perfectly logical, what you are suggesting is because the matchups won't get harder, you should just never improve your top 60-80, which is a stupid suggestion, because the next thing that comes along will be a new meta, so over time your roster will become weak compared to players that work on them, and yes, working on new metas will boost that GP, so don't suggest otherwise. The nature of this game means matchups get more difficult as people progress, so you need to try and keep up. Otherwise what's the point of the game as a whole? GAC doesn't have to incentivise people, but it does so anyway, so I don't know what you're trying to say, but either it's wrong or you aren't getting the point across well.

I am simply saying that GAC is not the primary part of the game that incentivizes roster building. I am also suggesting that the idea that "weaker" rosters being matched up against "stronger" ones (which has been implied, if not directly stated by several in this thread) as some sort of "reward" to the stronger or "incentive" to the weaker, is nonsensical. Yet people continue to put forth both ideas regarding GAC, despite what CG has stated about the goal of the mode and how matchmaking works.

And it often is disguised as the typical "It's WAI, even though you with 10 relic characters are matched up against someone with 23 relic characters." - as a way of acting like there are never any matchups which might not be "as intended." Honestly, the idea that CG finally got something as complex as matchmaking, totally right, is an odd place to plant your flag. But I guess that's people's prerogative.