Toons you don't want to add speed to besides Droideka & Nest?

Prev1
Please do tell. Trying to get most useful non-speed mods

Replies

• Do you mean where speed is less important, or where it's necessarily a bad thing?
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    Do you mean where speed is less important, or where it's necessarily a bad thing?

I guess either
  • Tanks in general don't need to prioritize speed. In some cases it can help tho.
  • a slow Thrawn will hold fracture longer. But it's also a huge tradeoff to not have him go first.
    a slow Thrawn will hold fracture longer. But it's also a huge tradeoff to not have him go first.

Cool. Yeah, I know his Ebb and Flow cuts his speed in half if zeta for that purpose.
    The way I use him though on my B team is to swap TM immediately upon opening with EP to get that AOE stun going

Either way. Thanks for contributions because selling off mods without speed can be dumb with properly modding these toons first
  • GMY doesn't need (a lot of) speed unless he's being used against DR.
    a slow Thrawn will hold fracture longer. But it's also a huge tradeoff to not have him go first.

Cool. Yeah, I know his Ebb and Flow cuts his speed in half if zeta for that purpose.
    The way I use him though on my B team is to swap TM immediately upon opening with EP to get that AOE stun going

Either way. Thanks for contributions because selling off mods without speed can be dumb with properly modding these toons first

Vader should be able to be made faster with bonuses so you don't need Thrawn for that. Vader's AOE is how you should start the TM train.
  • A defensive Nest (a Nest you place on defense for TW, for example) doesn't need speed.
    CCyrilS wrote: »

Vader should be able to be made faster with bonuses so you don't need Thrawn for that. Vader's AOE is how you should start the TM train.

This. Vader's AOE is essential. You have to have him as fast as possible.
  • A defensive Nest (a Nest you place on defense for TW, for example) doesn't need speed.

You're right, but that was in the title :p
  • Resistance Trooper
  • Sith Trooper, Baze, IG-100, Shoretrooper.
  • B2, magnaguard, sun fac, geo soldier, geo spy
  • Geo Soldier isn't specifically designed to be slow, though. He needs a high Crit Chance but by no means should you completely ignore secondary speed. Very easy to focus on both and build a decent 50-60% CC from mods plus an additional +60 or more speed.
  • L3 doesn't need a ton of speed on a scoundrel team. I probably wouldn't give her none, but she can do fine with tanky mods with +5 speed secondaries that didn't hit when sliced.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• MightyWizard
    872 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    B2 is a very worthy mention, he should absolutely not have any speed, as you would be sacrificing potency and survivability.

Thrawn goes both ways, depending entirely on the set-up.

But then there's the characters like Savage, Marauder, and GMY who people often says needs no speed. Savage will get turnmeter when hit, Marauder when allies are critically hit. This doesn't mean they don't need speed, as you both want both to go as often as possible. Savage must be fast to make sure you have a better chance of lining up his overpower ability with half-health enemies, and Marauder because he just hits so **** hard. For Marauder and Savage, their mechanics just means that you get to prioritize pure damage(usually a crit build) while still building speed.

As for Yoda, sure, he's already fast as hell. Again, you should capitalize on this. Yoda especially you'd want to take a turn literally all the **** time. So load him up with speed. Same goes for all the really fast characters like say Dooku, most of them will benefit hugely from even more speed.

I run CD sets with CD triangle on all of those fast/tm gain characters, with the best speed secondaries I have. My Dooku for example is a complete beast, he goes all the time and will one shot g12 toons through their protection with CD build and the double counters. He's r7 now and I use him to solo full g12 squads in GAC, often with 64 banners won, as the killing blow will often come from a counter-attack, and he regains protection on those. And Savage has been a huge help in DSTB, him taking turns more often means one hitting those tenacious GR fobs when they get to half health.

Oh and for Droideka, ironically he is, apparently, quite good with either crit build or speed, and maybe even both. Obviously offense is still best here. I haven't played around with either build yet myself as I still run pure offense. But both builds hold merit on paper. Again it's situational and depending on the team set-up. And before anyone comes and says how Droideka can't crit, he can on his basic, and hard as well. It's just that his main damage ability builds solely on offense. As for giving DDK speed, a speedy Droideka will help get that shield up and running quickly which can be essential. You'd be sacrificing the really big hits in most situations. But then again in some situations those big hits are less important.
  • MightyWizard
    872 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Also Old Ben I imagine could gain a lot from a very slow build, with survivability focus, as long as he has his zeta for the double taunt. Otherwise I don't think slow builds are as viable for tanks as they used to be, as there's so many dispels floating around now, dispels on basic, and Ahsoka who will dispell on basic AND assist(with her dispell basic) every time a GR leader takes a turn. Against such teams, your slow tank suddenly becomes completely useless for a cycle or two until his slow **** can tant again.

Oh and I forgot Echo for the "no-speed" bunch. Obviously you still want as much speed as possible to let him pop his mass dispell, but offense, cc, and and cd is FAR more important for Echo, because he always assists, and will hit hard as well.
  • I built my GMY as a pure offense speedball with secondary speeds only. He's +86, and with only the left side G12 pieces he's nearly 7,000 special dmg.

Droideka is G9 + Zeta and I went pure offense with little to no secondary speed and he's already in my top 15 physical damage toons.
  • I'm going to list characters that I can think of that not only do fine with little to no speed, they tend to do better the less of it they have (in their correct composition at least).
    Droideka
    Nest
    Ahsoka Tano
    Echo
    Resistance Trooper
    Gar Saxon
  • Thank you everybody. Perhaps the mentions can help people save some good mods before selling off
  • Ordo
  • Sith Trooper, Baze, IG-100, Shoretrooper.

I disagree with Shore.
  • Yoda
    Sith Trooper, Baze, IG-100, Shoretrooper.

I disagree with Shore.

Depends on what team you're running him in and his purpose, but yea Shore definitely needs more Speed than the rest of those as he's only got the pre-taunt and then can't taunt again until he takes his turn. If you just want him to take the initial hit then it doesn't matter as much.

Don't think I saw this anywhere, but Resistance Trooper needs basically no speed. He gets 35% TM whenever an enemy becomes exposed so just load him up with pure offense.

zSavage doesn't really need any speed either, he gets a ton of TM from his unique and self cleanses. As someone said earlier with L3 I would necessarily give him NO speed, but I think I'd recommend using a non-speed arrow in his case to make him healthier.
  • Zombie, since she already gets potentially +100% speed? Then again, she also has potentially -50% speed.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Surprised noone mentions JKA. Isn’t he better of with a **** ton of offense than speed?
  • Vertigo wrote: »
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Sith Trooper, Baze, IG-100, Shoretrooper.

I disagree with Shore.

Depends on what team you're running him in and his purpose, but yea Shore definitely needs more Speed than the rest of those as he's only got the pre-taunt and then can't taunt again until he takes his turn. If you just want him to take the initial hit then it doesn't matter as much.

Don't think I saw this anywhere, but Resistance Trooper needs basically no speed. He gets 35% TM whenever an enemy becomes exposed so just load him up with pure offense.

zSavage doesn't really need any speed either, he gets a ton of TM from his unique and self cleanses. As someone said earlier with L3 I would necessarily give him NO speed, but I think I'd recommend using a non-speed arrow in his case to make him healthier.

I did mention Resistance Trooper, and he actually gets 70% tm whenever a target becomes exposed.
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Zombie, since she already gets potentially +100% speed? Then again, she also has potentially -50% speed.
    Zombie definitely needs speed, constantly getting out of debuffs like isolate/fracture/buff immunity/shock, a fast zombie is the best way to make your opponent get stuck behind a taunt.
  • A 220 or higher speed zombie (+100 from mods at least) is one of the fastest toons in the game once she gets 2 stacks of Endless Horde. It's rather entertaining.

As for JKA it depends where you're using him. If you're going for NS/JKA Cheese-storm, then yes, near zero speed but max offense makes the most sense. Otherwise you'll still want him to take turns.