Are imperial troopers worth it?

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    plindboe wrote: »
    Imperial troopers are very handy to use against bounty hunters. As long as Starck goes before Bossk, you're guaranteed 60 points. That's pretty neat in GA, where there's usually a bounty hunter team on defense.

This is what i use them for as well. If there's not BH team you can also potentially use them vs FO or Ewoks.
    That being said, i would prioritize other teams over Troopers at the moment.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Equivalent mods and gear and they can easily take out several similar "B/C" teams. They make some GA/TWs easier depending on what your opponent puts down. Lets you save a more direct counter for something else.
  • I like the team as a unit, but they have limited utility in the current game. Not much of a raid squad and they are far from a reliable NS counter anymore. I don't see how they are a reliable BH counter either, though I have not tried them. They struggle mightily against most teams I see in GA.
    However they are not useless. I did have an opportunity to use them vs g12 Rogue One squad in GAC today and it was a breeze. I would not prioritize them, but work on them as a side project, sure.

If you are faster than the BH you can usually target who you want with Veers special to take down the weakest target, then you can start deathmarking people 😁
  • Dinotank46 wrote: »
    Jawas can beat equally geared Imp Troopers, and equally geared Empire, and equally geared phoenix, and equally geared clones (as long as you can stop Rex's tenacity up), Ewok, geo ,

and theybrequire zero zeta
    That's all good, but who would rather gear jawas than all those other teams that have an actual use in other game modes?

*Awkwardly raises my hand*

Don't worry.

G14 R14 Jawas will be needed for the Baby Yoda legendary event in 2020.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Equivalent mods and gear and they can easily take out several similar "B/C" teams. They make some GA/TWs easier depending on what your opponent puts down. Lets you save a more direct counter for something else.

You don't even need equivalent mods since only Starck needs to be fast.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Equivalent is usually "who's the fastest so they can go first"... But yes, technically your fastest has to be faster than their fastest (Starck v Asajj).
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Treeburner wrote: »
    Only reason their viability against NS has dropped is because people are putting relics on NS and not imp troopers .

At equal gear and a fast starck it's normally the same thing different day easy 60 points

I'm tempted to gear up my troopers just to prove this. Most ppl who lose against NS don't know what they're doing.
  • So what if you don't have Shore or Range?

My Troopers team is woefully under geared but they do have some stars on them.

I put Veers & Stark to 5* just to do the Hoth mission.

I also have 7* Snow, 6* Storm, &, 6* Death.

Will those 5 get the job done?

• Stick
    647 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Treeburner wrote: »
    Only reason their viability against NS has dropped is because people are putting relics on NS and not imp troopers .

At equal gear and a fast starck it's normally the same thing different day easy 60 points

I'm tempted to gear up my troopers just to prove this. Most ppl who lose against NS don't know what they're doing.

Yep me too. I agree. The only change is that the g12 can’t beat 13 with no effort. Like a g10 can beat a g12.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Troopers' big disadvantage is their vulnerability to debuffs. They have no source of tenacity up or debuff cleanse, so against teams that rely on debuffs they do poorly unless they can outspeed them and cooldown increase/ability block the main debuff-inflicting enemies. This is why they starting struggling against NS once it became beneficial to gear zombie.
    I've started throwing them on gac D rather than offense. They're a good trap for the unwary because they aren't seen much anymore, and if you underestimate them they can take 2-3 attempts. Plus they free up a good offense squad from defense duty.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    So what if you don't have Shore or Range?

If you're talking vs NS, you can do without Shore if you're fast enough. I have done it many times without shore, and using Magma in place of Range. Starck has to go first, and you have to use AOE first, not his group buff. Hopefully he lands staggers then magma throws grenade triggering the staggers and/or removing TM. Then Veers goes and you need to be able to take down Daka for the first time.... starck goes again and give group buff and boosts TM... yada yada you killed daka 3 times and death trooper is putting out death mark while snow is going nuts.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

If you're talking vs NS, you can do without Shore if you're fast enough. I have done it many times without shore, and using Magma in place of Range. Starck has to go first, and you have to use AOE first, not his group buff. Hopefully he lands staggers then magma throws grenade triggering the staggers and/or removing TM. Then Veers goes and you need to be able to take down Daka for the first time.... starck goes again and give group buff and boosts TM... yada yada you killed daka 3 times and death trooper is putting out death mark while snow is going nuts.

that's crazy talk (unless you're facing some subpar NS teams ofcourse)
  • leef wrote: »

Seems like everyone I face is subpar.
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

If that strategy works against NS then yes. If you can open with Starck AoE and Magma still goes before any of the NS, or even more, you can kill Daka three times before NS do any serious damage, the NS you are facing are weak.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

If that strategy works against NS then yes. If you can open with Starck AoE and Magma still goes before any of the NS, or even more, you can kill Daka three times before NS do any serious damage, the NS you are facing are weak.

Hopefully the introduce more relics and level 90 to fix this.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

I don't know man, it seems unlikely that you can consistandly outspeed enemy NS teams with your magma, let alone consistandly killing daka without using Range.
    Then again, i haven't seen your Trooper team so maybe it's modded insanely well.
    End of the day i think there are too many things that can go wrong when using troopers vs NS for it to be a reliable counter, even at equal gear and if your troopers are faster.
    Also, you do know you can just kill daka with terminate the first time right? she won't revive via zombi that way either and you can start deathmarking a lot sooner.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

I don't know man, it seems unlikely that you can consistandly outspeed enemy NS teams with your magma, let alone consistandly killing daka without using Range.
    Then again, i haven't seen your Trooper team so maybe it's modded insanely well.
    End of the day i think there are too many things that can go wrong when using troopers vs NS for it to be a reliable counter, even at equal gear and if your troopers are faster.
    Also, you do know you can just kill daka with terminate the first time right? she won't revive via zombi that way either and you can start deathmarking a lot sooner.

Relics are different story, but before I had no problems. Never needed Range. That strat worked probably a hundred times.

And actually I often would save DT to use with a Trawn squad, so often didn't use him. Just depends on what I needed.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Relics are different story, but before I had no problems. Never needed Range. That strat worked probably a hundred times.

And actually I often would save DT to use with a Trawn squad, so often didn't use him. Just depends on what I needed.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it's not reliable enough ever since people got their NS to g12 and started using assaj lead + spirit.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it's not reliable enough ever since people got their NS to g12 and started using assaj lead + spirit.

G12 wasn't a problem. But you're right, the very few battles where it didnt work were AV leads.
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Never hit Daka first. She's typically the beefiest NS if they modded properly (2nd possibly to zombie). You want Starck AoE then hit the weakest with Veers mass-assist. Guaranteed TWO DEATHS and full turn meter for your entire team. Not to mention the possibility of a few staggers, plus most protection gone from everyone. The other three Troopers run their specials, ideally getting some assists from Range. Snow does AoE. Battle over. Usually under 20 seconds.
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Never hit Daka first. She's typically the beefiest NS if they modded properly (2nd possibly to zombie). You want Starck AoE then hit the weakest with Veers mass-assist. Guaranteed TWO DEATHS and full turn meter for your entire team. Not to mention the possibility of a few staggers, plus most protection gone from everyone. The other three Troopers run their specials, ideally getting some assists from Range. Snow does AoE. Battle over. Usually under 20 seconds.
    Again, that's not how it goes against similar mods and gear.

Starck+Veers combined AoE won't kill two NS at similar gear and Veers won't go before AV and Spirit if you use Starck AoE instead of boosting TM with mods being on par with yours.
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    @RandomSithLord but you're forgetting Zombie sacrificing itself for the first death. Hence two kills. The mass assist from Veers after Starck's AoE (which clears Zombie's taunt and allows a fast Veers to target anyone) is usually enough to kill the first NS. There's 50% TM. Then zombie dies in their place and resurrects them. There's the other 50% TM.

It's much easier than hoping to kill Daka. Usually it's the 5th that's the weakest (ignoring AV, MT, OD, Zombie). I run Starck at +117, Veers at +96 with some slicing to go. If they're exceptionally fast I'll open with Starck's TM boost and try to focus down zombie but it's harder.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    @RandomSithLord but you're forgetting Zombie sacrificing itself for the first death. Hence two kills. The mass assist from Veers after Starck's AoE (which clears Zombie's taunt and allows a fast Veers to target anyone) is usually enough to kill the first NS. There's 50% TM. Then zombie dies in their place and resurrects them. There's the other 50% TM.

It's much easier than hoping to kill Daka. Usually it's the 5th that's the weakest (ignoring AV, MT, OD, Zombie). I run Starck at +117, Veers at +96 with some slicing to go. If they're exceptionally fast I'll open with Starck's TM boost and try to focus down zombie but it's harder.

Idk why it's so hard for some ppl to get this. Personally I've done fine focusing on daka first, but I guess your way makes sense too.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Idk why it's so hard for some ppl to get this. Personally I've done fine focusing on daka first, but I guess your way makes sense too.

Obviously because it doesn't always work. Having lost multiple times vs roughly equally geared/modded NS teams i stopped using troopers vs them. It's also not like you guys are describing groundbreaking tactics that others couldn't come up with, so it's not like everyone else is just doing it wrong.
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but when equally modded both asajj and spirit are faster than all imperial troopers (definetely faster than veers), that's a potential loss right of the bat if the wrong toon(s) get stunned. Daka passively gaining TM and potentially stunning two of your guys can also royally screw up your attack.
  • Stick
    647 posts Member

Obviously because it doesn't always work. Having lost multiple times vs roughly equally geared/modded NS teams i stopped using troopers vs them. It's also not like you guys are describing groundbreaking tactics that others couldn't come up with, so it's not like everyone else is just doing it wrong.
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but when equally modded both asajj and spirit are faster than all imperial troopers (definetely faster than veers), that's a potential loss right of the bat if the wrong toon(s) get stunned. Daka passively gaining TM and potentially stunning two of your guys can also royally screw up your attack.

you’re right about speeds. But they often aren’t modded for this to be the case.

This all really depends on mods and team comps. I don’t often fight spirit , but she makes it more difficult.

Several factors I’ve noticed matter

Aoe or buff move from stark first - do you give everyone turn meter ? Or kill the zombie taunt and land staggers.

Do you use deathtrooper for single kills & extra dispel ?

Can your shore trooper get a turn , not be stunned , and heal all of your guys to max health with 24% of his health

Is your range trooper fast & able to take plague

Is snow trooper high crit damage or chance or both

• Love them against equivalent Ewoks and FO. Can work against Bossk led BH if they have a weak fifth to get the kill train rolling. If they don't have a weak fifth (say, low geared Greedo or Zam), then you can run into problems quickly. Dangerous against AV led NS. The match is over quickly one way or the other, you just have to hope its to your benefit and you're not sitting their watching the stuns and TM removal keep you from doing anything useful.

I've found that their kits are no longer good enough to merit the mods they need to be successful, and those mods have found their way onto better teams (Shaak Ti, Geos, etc.). Pity too, one of my favorite teams to play, but I was lucky and didn't bring them all to G12 before their utility started to wane. Rebel Round Up with them has to be my favorite PvE event.
  • Baby_Yoda wrote: »
    Nope

Better off farming JKR, DR, Malak, Padmé, GAS, GG, ect.

After a solid 10-15+ teams you should then farm them they're a great NS counter

Don’t listen to this guy. He doesn’t even answer the question really. Adds what he thinks of other things first.
  • They are not really a great NS counter. Most of the time when i send them against NS i get destroyed

Probably your mods. Or you just don’t know what you’re doing
  • Baby_Yoda wrote: »
    Nope

Better off farming JKR, DR, Malak, Padmé, GAS, GG, ect.

After a solid 10-15+ teams you should then farm them they're a great NS counter

Don’t listen to this guy. He doesn’t even answer the question really. Adds what he thinks of other things first.

I did. I said don't farm them because they're dozens of better teams l.