Privacy, swgoh.gg and battle logs - making logs public is a TERRIBLE IDEA

Replies

• @Crazygone510 Don't get me wrong, if this helps the game then i'm ok with it. I'm all in for getting rid of the cheaters because if there's something i really dislike in life are cheaters and liars but i know it will take much more than this to accomplish it. You seem to be be a positive person and i respect your point of view. I'm glad you get to enjoy the journey but for me is just impossible.
  • I like the new feature. It is fair to all. And if someone looking at my history and decide to put up an offense against that, good luck to him as I could have changed it to give him an unpleasant surprise. And I have been hurt more by the obvious cheaters without tools to expose them. And this is one.

On the other hand, I don’t have problem if they hide the data behind login. So I can only see my opponents who I just fought. But I don’t mind all info is public as it just adds another dimension for strategy.
  • I just like it being fair for all and an even playing field. Things would get wonky if they tried to make it private. People would just be sharing things like crazy. It already happens now, but this would make it much more plausible and it would become more widestream.
  • The only reason someone would be bothered by this info being public is because they have a reason to be concerned.

I don’t really think this is a fair statement. I personally like them, but I absolutely understand if someone doesn’t want their attack/defense strategy to be public. It changes the game, and naturally not everyone will like the change.
  • I do expect this being public to be unpopular. I personally love it though. Knowing what your opponent has placed on D in the past, and knowing they know yours, is an interesting strategy battle as well. I think it actually adds more to it.

I agree, my personal opinion on this is that if you are actually a good strategist, you will adapt and use this to your advantage. Also "knowing" what's on a back row can result in errors on the front row.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    I do expect this being public to be unpopular. I personally love it though. Knowing what your opponent has placed on D in the past, and knowing they know yours, is an interesting strategy battle as well. I think it actually adds more to it.

I agree, my personal opinion on this is that if you are actually a good strategist, you will adapt and use this to your advantage. Also "knowing" what's on a back row can result in errors on the front row.
    I've done a lot of battles where I did conservative attacks on strong front teams, expecting tougher teams in the back, only to find easier teams than the front wall. I could've done A LOT better if I knew this beforehand

I think this really hurts the importance of defense, and I like the defense aspect more than the offense aspect of GAC
  • The idea that this will expose "cheaters" is silly - they will just delete their profiles. No big whoop to them.
  • Whelp, it's all moot point now. Over on Reddit, swgoh.gg explained why they can't/won't hide GAC histories. I'll give the short version.

Basically the new GAC feed is publicly available to everyone, not just swgoh.gg. that means even if swgoh.gg hid your GAC history behind a login it would still be available from other sources, like discord bots, etc.

So if they hide it, it will just drive players to other sites where they can still get it.

This is a direct result of CG's decision to crowd source cheat detection instead of developing methods internally, like reputable studios.

So like it, hate it, it makes no difference, we're all stuck with it and there's no squeezing this toothpaste back into the tube.

Worse, if this results in more veteran players leaving then expect more frequent and brazen cash grabs to make up for that lost revenue.
  • The idea that this will expose "cheaters" is silly - they will just delete their profiles. No big whoop to them.

Except that the GAC history will remain. GAC history will exist and remain for EVERY player - PERIOD. That includes players who delete their SWGOH.GG account, as well as players who never had a SWGOH.GG account to begin with.
  • I think the average player so like 70% of all players, could really care less, I wont use it, I like the surprise of atking different squads....I dunno I think people are doing what people to on here and bi*** for the sake of ********....just sayin
  • It’s just dumb. I have no issues with my opponent seeing what I used to attack them after the match is over. This indeed will help with cheating. I don’t, see why my entire defensive history needs to be shown to anyone that wants to see it. There is no good reason for it. You should only be able to see what your opponent used vs you after the match and nothing else.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    I do expect this being public to be unpopular. I personally love it though. Knowing what your opponent has placed on D in the past, and knowing they know yours, is an interesting strategy battle as well. I think it actually adds more to it.

I've done a lot of battles where I did conservative attacks on strong front teams, expecting tougher teams in the back, only to find easier teams than the front wall. I could've done A LOT better if I knew this beforehand

I think this really hurts the importance of defense, and I like the defense aspect more than the offense aspect of GAC

That is why I will be implementing multiple defensive strategies. Sometimes I will put everything in the front sometimes I won't. If someone does look at my profile they still won't know what type of defense that I have put down on the back row until they see it.
  • Exporting GAC battle logs is a terrible solution to a problem that should have been handled in the development studio. It betrays the spirit of the game and forces you to use an external site (I like SWGOH.gg but forcing us to use a site/product is uncool). Why can’t they share this in-game? Certainly, that could be coded and managed. Instead, this is a hard punt and affirms that the dev team has no plan and prioritizes revenue generating “content” (which is basically bundles now...) over quality of the game/experience.
    I feel the same about LS Geo TB. They punt and crank up the difficulty as they don’t have a robust plan for new, engaging content.
  • I love the people who don't understand GDPR - your defenses in a mobile game are not personally identifiable information.

If they were collecting your name, address, site browsing history, ip addresses, payment information, etc... That would be fair game for a deletion request.

But people are complaining are like people getting mad that someone can see the temperature and rainfall at their house by putting a zip code into a weather API.

If you didn't like your arena partners seeing your arena defense team in that browser, do you think CG should also be forced to make that data private as well?
  • richardchambers
    38 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Lets not forget about all the false claims this could prevent.

EDIT: False cheating claims
  • Maybe it's just me, but I can't see my own defense for territories where I was attacked. My opponents never made it to my fleet zone. I don't see what I placed on defense, and I got full clears when I attacked.
    If I can't see my own defense in history, how can someone else see it?
  • Can't edit my post ... sh
    Maybe it's just me, but I can't see my own defense for territories where I was attacked. My opponents never made it to my fleet zone. I don't see what I placed on defense, and I got full clears when I attacked.
    If I can't see my own defense in history, how can someone else see it?

Shouldhave said I can't see my territories where I wasn't attacked
  • Well this kinda exposed guilds that set low defenses for max banners *ahem team instinct* i mean what?
  • Bro, I just press play. I only play this game while I’m visiting mr. hanky, so I don’t check the logs.
  • charlyw64 wrote: »
    nurm wrote: »
    charlyw64 wrote: »
    Jordison wrote: »
    And I don't even know if you could do anything GDPR related because they share in-game data, this is not personal information we are talking about.

swgoh.gg share with google - and they have enough data to create a full profile including all personal data. So this move by CG is definitely illegal unless they get explicit consent by every player whose data they share!

This is not a problem of gdpr. Ea/CG share only non personal data and this is not part of gdpr. And even if Google uses big data to combine your gac results with your farming progress, it is still not gdpr relevant.

Tell that to the people that lose their jobs because the data revealed that they played the game at work (for example) and it got into the hands of their savvy employer...

Do u know that it happened?
  • BobcatSkywalker
    2194 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    nurm wrote: »
    Jordison wrote: »
    And I don't even know if you could do anything GDPR related because they share in-game data, this is not personal information we are talking about.

swgoh.gg share with google - and they have enough data to create a full profile including all personal data. So this move by CG is definitely illegal unless they get explicit consent by every player whose data they share!

This is not a problem of gdpr. Ea/CG share only non personal data and this is not part of gdpr. And even if Google uses big data to combine your gac results with your farming progress, it is still not gdpr relevant.

Tell that to the people that lose their jobs because the data revealed that they played the game at work (for example) and it got into the hands of their savvy employer...

Do u know that it happened?

I'm checking my employees now...

Called in sick today but was active in game last at 330am mmmmhhhmmmm
  • I think it is a great idea!