Favorite Lightsaber Duel

Replies

• Ep3: Isn't the whole movie a lightsaber duel?
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Jedi are evil. They take kids from their families, tell them they cant love anyone, cant form any attachments to anyone or anything and give them a laser sword to keep the “peace”.

Look what they did toAnakin.

Freed him from slavery for their own good.
    Told him he would be a Jedi.
    Took him from his slave mom.
    Put him in front of the Jedi Counsel and then denied him training.
    Finally let him be trained after the guy that freed him died.
    The Jedi never went back to free his mom. He finally goes himself and she dies after finding her.
    Made him hide his feelings for Padme.
    Humiliated him in front of the Jedi Counsel again but not putting him on the counsel.
    Told him to spy on Palpatine.

They even framed his padawan and after she was proven not guilty she left the order on her own.

They created Vader.

Look what they did to Luke. Lied to him the whole way.

Finally someone agrees with me!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Ep1: Maul vs Kenobi
    willennium wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »
    We are missing some great ones from Clone Wars/Rebels. Also episode 8 should be Rey & Kylo vs guards that one was the best in the movie.

Although, that doesn't say a lot (best in the movie) as it was also terrible. It technically wasn't a lightsaber duel and the choreography was pretty poor, including missing weapons, missed timed attacks, and weapons thrown away etc. it was a poorly done sequence.

… So like every duel in the OT? :p

As far as Clone Wars. I agree, it has some of the best moments in Star Wars canon. I always kinda favored duels that involved Dooku since his form is so elegant(and he just has a commanding screen presence, IMO)... so like Dooku v Asajj/Savage is up there for me. I'd have to rewatch the series to recall some of the other good ones cause it's been a while.

Every duel in the OT? That's an illogical statement. Since when does Vader or Luke suddenly don't have their lightsabers in their hands when fighting each other?

Since when does Vader slow down an attack or re-direct an attack so his opponent can block it with ease due to bad choreography?

Not to mention the OT was from the 70s to early 80s - film choreography is literally miles ahead nowadays - even tv shows have more exciting and better scripted choreography than anything from that era - yet here we are in the modern technical world and get the nonsense that was in the Last Jedi?

Your comparisons are very weak at best. You should re-think that.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Ep5: Luke vs Vader
    We are missing some great ones from Clone Wars/Rebels. Also episode 8 should be Rey & Kylo vs guards that one was the best in the movie.

Although, that doesn't say a lot (best in the movie) as it was also terrible. It technically wasn't a lightsaber duel and the choreography was pretty poor, including missing weapons, missed timed attacks, and weapons thrown away etc. it was a poorly done sequence.

As far as Clone Wars. I agree, it has some of the best moments in Star Wars canon. I always kinda favored duels that involved Dooku since his form is so elegant(and he just has a commanding screen presence, IMO)... so like Dooku v Asajj/Savage is up there for me. I'd have to rewatch the series to recall some of the other good ones cause it's been a while.

Every duel in the OT? That's an illogical statement. Since when does Vader or Luke suddenly don't have their lightsabers in their hands when fighting each other?

Since when does Vader slow down an attack or re-direct an attack so his opponent can block it with ease due to bad choreography?

Not to mention the OT was from the 70s to early 80s - film choreography is literally miles ahead nowadays - even tv shows have more exciting and better scripted choreography than anything from that era - yet here we are in the modern technical world and get the nonsense that was in the Last Jedi?

I agree. That fight was uninteresting. I like the lightsaber fights in the prequel trilogy more than the OT, but none have mastered the tension and purpose of the OT battles. Regardless of choreography, those fights felt like they mattered.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »

I agree. That fight was uninteresting. I like the lightsaber fights in the prequel trilogy more than the OT, but none have mastered the tension and purpose of the OT battles. Regardless of choreography, those fights felt like they mattered.

Absolutely!!!
  • Ep5: Luke vs Vader

And the OT duels are more realistic sword fights, rather than fancy hong kong action. Waving the sabers around constantly, twirling about constantly(presenting your back as a target cobstantly). These are things you absolutely wouldn't do when fighting with any melee weapon whatsoever.
  • Vendi1983
    5017 posts Member
    Ep8: Kylo vs Luke
    That was more because of a technology limit for creating the saber effects than the actual choreography, though.
    ZAP wrote: »

And the OT duels are more realistic sword fights, rather than fancy hong kong action. Waving the sabers around constantly, twirling about constantly(presenting your back as a target cobstantly). These are things you absolutely wouldn't do when fighting with any melee weapon whatsoever.

Have you seen the OT OB vs Vader fight lately? That fight was embarrassingly bad.

That was limitation of what they had to work with(light saber effects), they couldn't go all out because what they used broke. If they've had something that held up it would have been better. Watch Potop, it's from the same era, you'll see some of the best sword fights ever put to film.
    Check these guys out, they deserve the traffic and subs if you're in a good mood.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-zb5gys9SIw
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Have you seen the OT OB vs Vader fight lately? That fight was embarrassingly bad.

That was limitation of what they had to work with(light saber effects), they couldn't go all out because what they used broke. If they've had something that held up it would have been better. Watch Potop, it's from the same era, you'll see some of the best sword fights ever put to film.

I watched it again a couple weeks ago and remember thinking wow, I don’t remember it being this bad lol

At least they purposefully don't miss-time their hits or aim and also weapons don't mysteriously disappear from their hands mid-sequence.

Ya, even the OT Vader v. Kenobi fight is superior to the ST choreography, that is meant to be modern state of the art stuff! Hahahahahaha what a joke :wink:

I watched it again a couple weeks ago and remember thinking wow, I don’t remember it being this bad lol

Potop or A new Hope?
    Ep3:Isn't the whole movie a lightsaber duel?

Anakin and obi-wan-kenobi's lightsaber duel was the best lightsaber duel ever! HANDS DOWN!
  • I choose-
    Ryan vs Dorkman.
    Anakin vs. Obi Wan is the best by far!!
  • Ep1: Maul vs Kenobi
    I know it says favorite, but I really wish I could pick two. I find the Maul fight and the Obi/Ani fight to end ROTS to be the most entertaining, but gave the edge to Maul since the score is perfect.

Also, really hope that ANH gets zero votes, calling that a duel is a bit of a shame to the later duels.

I made an edit of A New Hope and spliced this in place of the duel in the movie - now it is a much better movie!

https://youtu.be/to2SMng4u1k
    This is amazing!

• stuff007
    25 posts Member
    Ep2: Yoda vs Dooku
    I’ve watched each movie a dozen times. Surely I’m not the only one. But when it comes to pure lightsaber skill, forget any cinematography, Maul and Obi-Wan hands down the best! No comparison! I think the rest of the battles are personal preference and each deserve their place. I can’t explain why, but I’m going to relate this to ONLY the first time I saw each battle, as Maul vs OB1 takes 2nd place for me. Yoda and Dooku easily number 1 for me. I think just the nostalgia of watching him train Luke and the knowledge of the force and just how he conducts himself so methodical and a true leader that walks with a cane... then BAM it all comes to fruition the flips the speed the intensity the sheer god-like power just absolutely astounding and unexpected from this little green dude. Kinda wears thin watching it multiple times there are better saber duels, but none at first glance had that “wow” factor for me.
    61jvgs30qufp.jpeg
  • Ep9: Kylo vs Rey
    I voted for EP9 lightsaber duel because I honestly feel the most power and intensity there, and I love that even fully trained, Rey was being absolutely manhandled by Kylo, and if not for Leia's whisper, Kylo would have won. Straight up. I mean he was winning the whole fight.

It helps that since it's the most fleshed out due to modern times, you could really FEEL the power in each swing, each leap, every time the force was used in any way, shape or form. It felt POWERFUL.
    stuff007 wrote: »
    I’ve watched each movie a dozen times. Surely I’m not the only one. But when it comes to pure lightsaber skill, forget any cinematography, Maul and Obi-Wan hands down the best! No comparison! I think the rest of the battles are personal preference and each deserve their place. I can’t explain why, but I’m going to relate this to ONLY the first time I saw each battle, as Maul vs OB1 takes 2nd place for me. Yoda and Dooku easily number 1 for me. I think just the nostalgia of watching him train Luke and the knowledge of the force and just how he conducts himself so methodical and a true leader that walks with a cane... then BAM it all comes to fruition the flips the speed the intensity the sheer god-like power just absolutely astounding and unexpected from this little green dude. Kinda wears thin watching it multiple times there are better saber duels, but none at first glance had that “wow” factor for me.

I saw Episode 2 on opening night, and an audible thrill ran through the audience when Yoda lit up his lightsaber for that first time. Definitely memorable.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    MemeMaster wrote: »
    I voted for EP9 lightsaber duel because I honestly feel the most power and intensity there, and I love that even fully trained, Rey was being absolutely manhandled by Kylo, and if not for Leia's whisper, Kylo would have won. Straight up. I mean he was winning the whole fight.

It helps that since it's the most fleshed out due to modern times, you could really FEEL the power in each swing, each leap, every time the force was used in any way, shape or form. It felt POWERFUL.

Poor duel - like watching kids whack each other with pool noodles. There was no intensity behind the duel - neither was seriously going to kill the other. Kylo wanted to turn her, and Rey, even when she got him, healed him.

Pathetic duel. What would have been epic would have been a duel with Kylo and Rey v. Sidious - but that never really happened at all - wasted opportunity.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

Poor duel - like watching kids whack each other with pool noodles. There was no intensity behind the duel - neither was seriously going to kill the other. Kylo wanted to turn her, and Rey, even when she got him, healed him.

Pathetic duel. What would have been epic would have been a duel with Kylo and Rey v. Sidious - but that never really happened at all - wasted opportunity.

Rey would have killed him, that’s why she stabbed him. Then Leia died, and she realized she was making a mistake.

Rey would have killed him, that’s why she stabbed him. Then Leia died, and she realized she was making a mistake.

Should have killed him, would have been an interesting twist. Or better yet Kylo kills her, fights Sidious for control. Sidious whips him and takes his life essence and boom Unlimited Power. Papa Palps then wrecks the Resistance and their allies and restarts the Empire. Sith For Life!
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

Should have killed him, would have been an interesting twist. Or better yet Kylo kills her, fights Sidious for control. Sidious whips him and takes his life essence and boom Unlimited Power. Papa Palps then wrecks the Resistance and their allies and restarts the Empire. Sith For Life!

Now this could have been good.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

No, she realized what she was becoming and rectified her instinct to kill him, as she regretted blowing up the shuttle while trying to save Chewie.

At the end of the day, Rey is so poorly written she is a little "goody goody two shoes" and was incapable of killing Kylo the way she would have. She always does the "right thing" or has no consequence if she does something different. Like I say, the fight had no intensity to it at all.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Now this could have been good.

Now this ending may not be far from the truth.

Rey intentionally killed Sidious by directed and pushing his lightening back at him. It wasn't "defence".

Technically his life essence could and should have travelled into her and she is the new Sith Empress - a great way to start E10, lol. Watch as all the Rey fans go into snowflake meltdown, lol.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

No, she realized what she was becoming and rectified her instinct to kill him, as she regretted blowing up the shuttle while trying to save Chewie.

At the end of the day, Rey is so poorly written she is a little "goody goody two shoes" and was incapable of killing Kylo the way she would have. She always does the "right thing" or has no consequence if she does something different. Like I say, the fight had no intensity to it at all.

That’s not poorly written, that’s just being a Mary Sue. Directors can’t seem to make genuine female characters.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

That’s not poorly written, that’s just being a Mary Sue.

Rey isn't a real person.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

That’s not poorly written, that’s just being a Mary Sue.

Rey isn't a real person.

Yes.
    ???
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    "Mary Sue" usage aside (:eyeroll:), whatever you think of her character, it was because she was written that way.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    "Mary Sue" usage aside (:eyeroll:), whatever you think of her character, it was because she was written that way.

I guess so. I used Mary Sue because unfortunately, a lot of female movie leads have been fitting that definition lately, I assume in an effort to make women look powerful or something. Personally, I don’t think that they should need to make women look powerful, because ideally people would just realize that all people can be powerful, or heroic, or carry any of those hero traits.

Rey doesn’t exactly fit that definition (she does go through development, and she does fail) but she does get close. And I guess that would be a weakness in the writing. I would blame the fact that they changed directors in between movies.