Favorite Lightsaber Duel

13Next

Replies

• Ep3: Isn't the whole movie a lightsaber duel?
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Jedi are evil. They take kids from their families, tell them they cant love anyone, cant form any attachments to anyone or anything and give them a laser sword to keep the “peace”.

Look what they did toAnakin.

Freed him from slavery for their own good.
    Told him he would be a Jedi.
    Took him from his slave mom.
    Put him in front of the Jedi Counsel and then denied him training.
    Finally let him be trained after the guy that freed him died.
    The Jedi never went back to free his mom. He finally goes himself and she dies after finding her.
    Made him hide his feelings for Padme.
    Humiliated him in front of the Jedi Counsel again but not putting him on the counsel.
    Told him to spy on Palpatine.

They even framed his padawan and after she was proven not guilty she left the order on her own.

They created Vader.

Look what they did to Luke. Lied to him the whole way.

Finally someone agrees with me!
  • Boo
    3980 posts Member
    Ep1: Maul vs Kenobi
    willennium wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »
    We are missing some great ones from Clone Wars/Rebels. Also episode 8 should be Rey & Kylo vs guards that one was the best in the movie.

Although, that doesn't say a lot (best in the movie) as it was also terrible. It technically wasn't a lightsaber duel and the choreography was pretty poor, including missing weapons, missed timed attacks, and weapons thrown away etc. it was a poorly done sequence.

… So like every duel in the OT? :p

As far as Clone Wars. I agree, it has some of the best moments in Star Wars canon. I always kinda favored duels that involved Dooku since his form is so elegant(and he just has a commanding screen presence, IMO)... so like Dooku v Asajj/Savage is up there for me. I'd have to rewatch the series to recall some of the other good ones cause it's been a while.

Every duel in the OT? That's an illogical statement. Since when does Vader or Luke suddenly don't have their lightsabers in their hands when fighting each other?

Since when does Vader slow down an attack or re-direct an attack so his opponent can block it with ease due to bad choreography?

Not to mention the OT was from the 70s to early 80s - film choreography is literally miles ahead nowadays - even tv shows have more exciting and better scripted choreography than anything from that era - yet here we are in the modern technical world and get the nonsense that was in the Last Jedi?

Your comparisons are very weak at best. You should re-think that.
  • Nihion
    2498 posts Member
    Ep5: Luke vs Vader
    We are missing some great ones from Clone Wars/Rebels. Also episode 8 should be Rey & Kylo vs guards that one was the best in the movie.

Although, that doesn't say a lot (best in the movie) as it was also terrible. It technically wasn't a lightsaber duel and the choreography was pretty poor, including missing weapons, missed timed attacks, and weapons thrown away etc. it was a poorly done sequence.

As far as Clone Wars. I agree, it has some of the best moments in Star Wars canon. I always kinda favored duels that involved Dooku since his form is so elegant(and he just has a commanding screen presence, IMO)... so like Dooku v Asajj/Savage is up there for me. I'd have to rewatch the series to recall some of the other good ones cause it's been a while.

Every duel in the OT? That's an illogical statement. Since when does Vader or Luke suddenly don't have their lightsabers in their hands when fighting each other?

Since when does Vader slow down an attack or re-direct an attack so his opponent can block it with ease due to bad choreography?

Not to mention the OT was from the 70s to early 80s - film choreography is literally miles ahead nowadays - even tv shows have more exciting and better scripted choreography than anything from that era - yet here we are in the modern technical world and get the nonsense that was in the Last Jedi?

I agree. That fight was uninteresting. I like the lightsaber fights in the prequel trilogy more than the OT, but none have mastered the tension and purpose of the OT battles. Regardless of choreography, those fights felt like they mattered.
  • Boo
    3980 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »

I agree. That fight was uninteresting. I like the lightsaber fights in the prequel trilogy more than the OT, but none have mastered the tension and purpose of the OT battles. Regardless of choreography, those fights felt like they mattered.

Absolutely!!!
  • Ep5: Luke vs Vader

And the OT duels are more realistic sword fights, rather than fancy hong kong action. Waving the sabers around constantly, twirling about constantly(presenting your back as a target cobstantly). These are things you absolutely wouldn't do when fighting with any melee weapon whatsoever.
  • ZAP
    1761 posts Member

And the OT duels are more realistic sword fights, rather than fancy hong kong action. Waving the sabers around constantly, twirling about constantly(presenting your back as a target cobstantly). These are things you absolutely wouldn't do when fighting with any melee weapon whatsoever.

Have you seen the OT OB vs Vader fight lately? That fight was embarrassingly bad.

• Vendi1983
    3835 posts Member
    Ep8: Kylo vs Luke
    That was more because of a technology limit for creating the saber effects than the actual choreography, though.
    ZAP wrote: »

Have you seen the OT OB vs Vader fight lately? That fight was embarrassingly bad.

That was limitation of what they had to work with(light saber effects), they couldn't go all out because what they used broke. If they've had something that held up it would have been better. Watch Potop, it's from the same era, you'll see some of the best sword fights ever put to film.
  • ZAP
    1761 posts Member

That was limitation of what they had to work with(light saber effects), they couldn't go all out because what they used broke. If they've had something that held up it would have been better. Watch Potop, it's from the same era, you'll see some of the best sword fights ever put to film.

I watched it again a couple weeks ago and remember thinking wow, I don’t remember it being this bad lol

Check these guys out, they deserve the traffic and subs if you're in a good mood.

• Boo
    3980 posts Member

I watched it again a couple weeks ago and remember thinking wow, I don’t remember it being this bad lol

At least they purposefully don't miss-time their hits or aim and also weapons don't mysteriously disappear from their hands mid-sequence.

Ya, even the OT Vader v. Kenobi fight is superior to the ST choreography, that is meant to be modern state of the art stuff! Hahahahahaha what a joke :wink:

Potop or A new Hope?