Acting In Star Wars

Replies

  • Gifafi
    5057 posts Member
    luke flying around a canyon seems the same as the DStar lol.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TVF
    25894 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    tl;dw. luke is a soft desert dweller who all of a sudden after 5min of "training" outflies the best pilot in the galaxy and (SPOILERS) blows up the death star. Rey is a hardened desert dweller who fights off a guy who doesn't want her dead. but super different!...

    Luke is the son of Vader - so his power and connection to the force is right up there, right off the get go.
    Somebody hasn't seen TROS lol.
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gifafi
    5057 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    tl;dw. luke is a soft desert dweller who all of a sudden after 5min of "training" outflies the best pilot in the galaxy and (SPOILERS) blows up the death star. Rey is a hardened desert dweller who fights off a guy who doesn't want her dead. but super different!...

    Luke is the son of Vader - so his power and connection to the force is right up there, right off the get go.
    Somebody hasn't seen TROS lol.

    that's different
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Boo
    4116 posts Member
    edited January 28
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    Boo wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    of course luke is a mary sue if rey is (which she isn't)

    He's not - flawed logic mate.

    I am posting videos, because I am so tired of explaining it over and over...


    From dictionary.com article about the term Mary Sue

    "Mary Sue has also expanded outside fanfiction to label canonical fictional characters. The main heroine of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Rey, was derided by many as a Mary Sue. Here, Mary Sue is used as a derogatory synonym for any protagonist who is hated or dismissed for their talents and virtues. Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker, and Katniss Everdeen are among other famous characters who’ve been called Mary Sues."






    Everything you just said was wrong...Those videos are garbage, I could barely sit through them and they do not debunk anything I have said at all, zip, notta, nothing, lol

    They state things out of context and are completely illogical not to mention hypocritical within their own reasoning - quite comedic actually.

    The first video was interesting but had a lot of points fall very short.

    The second video was by far the worst. I could barely watch it, it was so bad and illogical.

    The third video - the guy tried (bless him) but again his points were as weak as a wet noodle. His strongest points people don't even argue about anyway, so a bit of a "strawman argument" to some degree going on there.

    Try again. Actually don't.
  • Boo
    4116 posts Member
    edited January 28
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    Definition of a Mary Sue:

    1. Perfect at everything
    2. Outperform established characters within their area of expertise without reasonable explanation
    3. Distort the established Cannon

    1. Rey is perfect at everything and does not fail once
    - flies the Falcon like a pro with no prior pilot training.
    - Looks after herself, does not require "rescuing" or help from anyone - she even manages to escape Starkiller Base alone.
    - Much more that actually take over some of the other points below.

    2. Rey outperforms prior Jedi protagonists without reasonable explanation
    - Rey bests Kylo Ren in the force as well as lightsaber combat
    - Rey beats Luke in a stick fight, where he concedes.
    - Again lots more evidence I am not going to list everything.

    3. Rey distorts established Star Wars lore/cannon by being so good at the force without any training pulling off complicated and difficult force techniques and powers.
    - Jedi is a hard life, lots of training, its not quick an easy - unless you are Rey. Can beat trained force users in the force and lightsaber combat.
    - Can pull off complicated force techniques such as mind trick and is able to move mountains

    Please just stop, this is silly.

    The term Mary Sue is not calling out any particular gender either, Gary Stu is the male version. I'd say Superman and Neo etc are somewhat Gary Stus but even Neo struggled and was not perfect at everything right off the bat. I don't watch Dragon Ball Z, so can't comment of Goku, but he sure fits the bill of a "Gary" from what I have seen.

    Besides, whoever raised this argument has severely derailed the topic of this thread, so it should go back on course.

  • TVF
    25894 posts Member
    giphy.gif
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Boo
    4116 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    TVF wrote: »
    giphy.gif

    Nice! :smiley:
  • Other
    Boo wrote: »
    ...

    Besides, whoever raised this argument has severely derailed the topic of this thread, so it should go back on course.

    Ummm....

    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/2053250/#Comment_2053250
  • Adam Driver (Kylo/Ben)
    What if it’s all just the force responding to the darkness. Starting with Anakin, the force grants him what he needs to bring “balance.” Same with Luke and Rey. That’s why they are all incredibly skilled without any training in the force (or star fighters). Just a thought.

    I’d also say that somewhere it says that Rey had a simulator for flying ships.

    @Boo; @TVF
  • Other
    4f4t6t7sglts.jpg

    Why does everyone get so angry if someone has a different opinion? From how I understand, the thread is for people to share their thoughts on who they felt was the best actor...
    Not who was the better character...
    😔
  • Boo
    4116 posts Member
    edited January 29
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    Boo wrote: »
    ...

    Besides, whoever raised this argument has severely derailed the topic of this thread, so it should go back on course.

    Ummm....

    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/2053250/#Comment_2053250

    Ya and I was responding to a comment, which YOU made, that set this in motion. Stop trying to prove me wrong - you'll never win.


    Eat your humble pie and stop.
  • Boo
    4116 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    What if it’s all just the force responding to the darkness. Starting with Anakin, the force grants him what he needs to bring “balance.” Same with Luke and Rey. That’s why they are all incredibly skilled without any training in the force (or star fighters). Just a thought.

    I’d also say that somewhere it says that Rey had a simulator for flying ships.

    @Boo; @TVF

    Yet Anakin had 10 years of training by the time we see him in AOTC. Not to mention how accomplished he became after fighting several years in the Clone Wars by the time we see him in ROTS.

    Luke had a lot of training from Yoda, after he had grasped some basics from Old Ben. There was also time between each of the OT movies where Luke could have dedicated to hard Jedi training.

    Rey only began her training after TLJ - which meant that she:

    * Bested trained and powerful force users with the use of the force;
    * Bested trained lightsaber users in lightsaber duels (including against Snoke's guards);
    * Completed complicated and powerful demonstrations in the force such as mind trick and moving mountains
    * etc etc etc.

    All without any training!

    Additionally if the light can rise to meet the dark or vice versa, essentially the force could "balance itself" whenever it wanted to do so. Why create Anakin at all? It doesn't make any sense.

    Furthermore, how often does the Force fall out of balance. According to Ki-Adi Mundi in TPM, the Sith had been extinct for a 1000 years, yet after ROTJ (where the force was balanced at the climax of the prophecy of the chosen one), a mere 1 generation later it needs rebalancing again with Rey? - I don't buy it, its weak, really weak.
  • Boo
    4116 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    What if it’s all just the force responding to the darkness. Starting with Anakin, the force grants him what he needs to bring “balance.” Same with Luke and Rey. That’s why they are all incredibly skilled without any training in the force (or star fighters). Just a thought.

    I’d also say that somewhere it says that Rey had a simulator for flying ships.

    @Boo; @TVF

    I 'd also add that a book to fill in Rey's character development and skill set to retcon the movie is also weak, lol.
  • Boo
    4116 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    TVF wrote: »
    giphy.gif

    Lets try this again, lol
  • TVF
    25894 posts Member
    @Boo please remove me from that quote chain if you're going to keep quoting it, so I stop getting notifications.
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gifafi
    5057 posts Member
    rey was able to best people not trying to kill her? shocking stuff itt
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Boo
    4116 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    TVF wrote: »
    @Boo please remove me from that quote chain if you're going to keep quoting it, so I stop getting notifications.

    Just didn't want to steal your credit - a good gif!
  • TVF
    25894 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    @Boo please remove me from that quote chain if you're going to keep quoting it, so I stop getting notifications.

    Just didn't want to steal your credit - a good gif!

    That's not the post I'm talking about. Someone else tagged me. You quoted that post, so I got a notification. And then you quoted it again, and I got another. I'm asking you to remove the tag from the quote chain if you keep quoting it.
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Boo
    4116 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    TVF wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    @Boo please remove me from that quote chain if you're going to keep quoting it, so I stop getting notifications.

    Just didn't want to steal your credit - a good gif!

    That's not the post I'm talking about. Someone else tagged me. You quoted that post, so I got a notification. And then you quoted it again, and I got another. I'm asking you to remove the tag from the quote chain if you keep quoting it.

    I gotcha - sorry mate.
  • TVF
    25894 posts Member
    Thank you.
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nihion
    3009 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    Lol, what even is this thread
  • Boo
    4116 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    Nihion wrote: »
    Lol, what even is this thread

    Apparently its about your fav actor in Star Wars, but it got side tracked.

    I think its back on course now. I see we both went for Ewan! :smile:
  • Nihion
    3009 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    Boo wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Lol, what even is this thread

    Apparently its about your fav actor in Star Wars, but it got side tracked.

    I think its back on course now. I see we both went for Ewan! :smile:

    YAY EWAN!!!
  • Adam Driver (Kylo/Ben)
    Lol
  • Boo
    4116 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    AntiFunn wrote: »
    Lol this was a good way to end my lunch break.
    I am obviously on the side of Rey being a Mary Sue. No doubt. I am just sad that Kylo's character was completely butchered thanks to our "heroine".

    About Anakin being hated by everybody tho, I would disagree a bit. He was disliked by Mace and some other Jedi masters true, but it was due to their own fear and arrogance that he had Fear and the potential to turn to the Darkside. To the public however, he was the poster boy and his valor granted him even more fame due to his clone wars heroics.

    P.S Adam Driver also did a splendid job in portraying Kylo (even through the bad plot).

    The only people that truly liked Anakin were Padme, Obi and Jar Jar, I guess you could count Qui-Gon as well and of course his mother, Shmi.

    That's about it. The Jedi, really couldn't care less and yes I think the general dislike from them was their own fear of him.

    Palpatine was also just manipulating him. He never cared about him.
  • Adam Driver (Kylo/Ben)
    Boo wrote: »
    AntiFunn wrote: »
    Lol this was a good way to end my lunch break.
    I am obviously on the side of Rey being a Mary Sue. No doubt. I am just sad that Kylo's character was completely butchered thanks to our "heroine".

    About Anakin being hated by everybody tho, I would disagree a bit. He was disliked by Mace and some other Jedi masters true, but it was due to their own fear and arrogance that he had Fear and the potential to turn to the Darkside. To the public however, he was the poster boy and his valor granted him even more fame due to his clone wars heroics.

    P.S Adam Driver also did a splendid job in portraying Kylo (even through the bad plot).

    The only people that truly liked Anakin were Padme, Obi and Jar Jar, I guess you could count Qui-Gon as well and of course his mother, Shmi.

    That's about it. The Jedi, really couldn't care less and yes I think the general dislike from them was their own fear of him.

    Palpatine was also just manipulating him. He never cared about him.

    I don’t know you could say that the other Jedi didn’t like him. He was very well respected by the others, and I have a hard time finding evidence that even Mace didn’t like him. Sure he draw hard lines with him and didn’t want him in in the first place, but that’s pretty much it.
  • Boo
    4116 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    Boo wrote: »
    AntiFunn wrote: »
    Lol this was a good way to end my lunch break.
    I am obviously on the side of Rey being a Mary Sue. No doubt. I am just sad that Kylo's character was completely butchered thanks to our "heroine".

    About Anakin being hated by everybody tho, I would disagree a bit. He was disliked by Mace and some other Jedi masters true, but it was due to their own fear and arrogance that he had Fear and the potential to turn to the Darkside. To the public however, he was the poster boy and his valor granted him even more fame due to his clone wars heroics.

    P.S Adam Driver also did a splendid job in portraying Kylo (even through the bad plot).

    The only people that truly liked Anakin were Padme, Obi and Jar Jar, I guess you could count Qui-Gon as well and of course his mother, Shmi.

    That's about it. The Jedi, really couldn't care less and yes I think the general dislike from them was their own fear of him.

    Palpatine was also just manipulating him. He never cared about him.

    I don’t know you could say that the other Jedi didn’t like him. He was very well respected by the others, and I have a hard time finding evidence that even Mace didn’t like him. Sure he draw hard lines with him and didn’t want him in in the first place, but that’s pretty much it.

    Mace has always been cold with Anakin.

    Didn't want him to train as a Jedi in the first place
    Then didnt want Obi Wan to take him as his Padawan
    Then expresses concern over Anakin's ability to protect Padme in AOTC
    Then again questions his ability to help Obi Wan in AOTC and he should just stay out of the way
    Then confirms his distrust of Anakin in ROTS
    Then he confirms his disbelief in Anakin's ability to handle his mission in ROTS
    Denies anointing Anakin the rank of Jedi Master
    Only lets Anakin sit on the counsel so they can gain access to Palpatine's trust through Anakin.
    Prevents Anakin from being the one to stop Greivous
    Prevents Anakin from assisting his Jedi mission to confront/arrest Palpatine
    Fails to listen to Anakin about keeping Palpatine alive and that killing out of fear "was not the Jedi way".

    That's quite a lot of stuff that points to Mace generally, not liking Anakin, and the Jedi Counsel obviously went along with a lot of it too.
  • Other
    Boo wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »
    AntiFunn wrote: »
    Lol this was a good way to end my lunch break.
    I am obviously on the side of Rey being a Mary Sue. No doubt. I am just sad that Kylo's character was completely butchered thanks to our "heroine".

    About Anakin being hated by everybody tho, I would disagree a bit. He was disliked by Mace and some other Jedi masters true, but it was due to their own fear and arrogance that he had Fear and the potential to turn to the Darkside. To the public however, he was the poster boy and his valor granted him even more fame due to his clone wars heroics.

    P.S Adam Driver also did a splendid job in portraying Kylo (even through the bad plot).

    The only people that truly liked Anakin were Padme, Obi and Jar Jar, I guess you could count Qui-Gon as well and of course his mother, Shmi.

    That's about it. The Jedi, really couldn't care less and yes I think the general dislike from them was their own fear of him.

    Palpatine was also just manipulating him. He never cared about him.

    I don’t know you could say that the other Jedi didn’t like him. He was very well respected by the others, and I have a hard time finding evidence that even Mace didn’t like him. Sure he draw hard lines with him and didn’t want him in in the first place, but that’s pretty much it.

    Mace has always been cold with Anakin.

    Didn't want him to train as a Jedi in the first place
    Then didnt want Obi Wan to take him as his Padawan
    Then expresses concern over Anakin's ability to protect Padme in AOTC
    Then again questions his ability to help Obi Wan in AOTC and he should just stay out of the way
    Then confirms his distrust of Anakin in ROTS
    Then he confirms his disbelief in Anakin's ability to handle his mission in ROTS
    Denies anointing Anakin the rank of Jedi Master
    Only lets Anakin sit on the counsel so they can gain access to Palpatine's trust through Anakin.
    Prevents Anakin from being the one to stop Greivous
    Prevents Anakin from assisting his Jedi mission to confront/arrest Palpatine
    Fails to listen to Anakin about keeping Palpatine alive and that killing out of fear "was not the Jedi way".

    That's quite a lot of stuff that points to Mace generally, not liking Anakin, and the Jedi Counsel obviously went along with a lot of it too.

    I always thought that since Mace was so powerful, he himself believed he was the Chosen One. And that his dislike of Anakin was due to the fact that he saw he wasn't.
    That it was simple jealousy.
Sign In or Register to comment.