I can't believe I'm saying this. It's time for a new META

Prev1
ClubberLangIII
372 posts Member
edited January 2020
Every time we get a new META, there is a massive crying meltdown in the forums and people threaten to leave the game. That's why I can't believe I actually WANT a new META.

I'm F2P as well. It's just that the arena is unbelievably boring with the same few squad combinations just milling about collecting relic gear.

The biggest problem is, which characters from the new movie are worthwhile making a META out of? My summary of the tough choices are as follows:

- JTR II (I don't think she ever finished training and she's wearing the same clothes)
- Bad new haircut Poe
- Worse new haircut Finn
- Botox Lando
- Remasked-then-unmasked Kylo
- Zombie Palpatine

Apart from them, I don't know who else would qualify for a new META. If anyone watches the Mandalorian, I'd really love to see those two comical loser landspeeder troopers who can't shoot as META characters. They were pretty entertaining actually.

Replies

• Options
    What would you say the current meta is?
  • Options

The current meta is the best defensive team, which is still Drevan and Malak. I fall further overnight leaving my fully R7 GAS team on def.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    This is the most diverse arena in forever.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    It's a very diverse meta imo.

Drevan imho is still king. Skywalker is nice though.
  • Options
    It's Malak. Nothing is as good as Malak.
  • Options
    And...I like Finns new hair
  • Options
    It's Malak. Nothing is as good as Malak.

They put wayyy too much in that kit.
  • Options
    What's wrong with same clothes?
  • Unknownhost
    131 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The game was one way, then the JKR Meta came and added an entirely new tier of power.

The next shift will quite possibly be another rude awakening when a new tier is added and all the current meta teams get slaughtered by it the way all teams did when JKR was added...

A new level... of confidence...and power...

Let's hope they dont do anything that drastic and sudden again XD
  • Options
    If you've never actually piloted or played against a 7*GAS with R7 clones, you *might* make the argument that DR/Malak are still meta. For those of us who are in the top of our mature arena shards (or I suppose shards full of Krakens), GAS is meta, not even close. Some teams can eek maybe 60% vs GAS on offense but they don't hold as well as even a 6* GAS on defense.

Tl;Dr GAS is meta, and will continue to be until CG is done milking that cash cow and needs to roll out a new meta to chase/pay for
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    If you've never actually piloted or played against a 7*GAS with R7 clones, you *might* make the argument that DR/Malak are still meta. For those of us who are in the top of our mature arena shards (or I suppose shards full of Krakens), GAS is meta, not even close. Some teams can eek maybe 60% vs GAS on offense but they don't hold as well as even a 6* GAS on defense.

Tl;Dr GAS is meta, and will continue to be until CG is done milking that cash cow and needs to roll out a new meta to chase/pay for

Second GAS event has come and gone, this cow is already milked. Time to bring the next one.
  • Options
    We got a pretty diverse meta rn
  • Options
    The game was one way, then the JKR Meta came and added an entirely new tier of power.

The next shift will quite possibly be another rude awakening when a new tier is added and all the current meta teams get slaughtered by it the way all teams did when JKR was added...

A new level... of confidence...and power...

Let's hope they dont do anything that drastic and sudden again XD

+1 for the song reference
  • Options
    I'm under the impression/belief that the current character and team unveiling has the purpose to not "make a meta" but allow the player-base to manifest 1 through diverse game-play. I mean, 1% of arena teams getting rank 1 are still CLS in a field of DR/Malaks. That is awesome. IG, GG, Padme, Shaak Ti, GAS, CLS, probably even some JKR teams still taking 1st place.

That's already greater than "pay CG and you're in 1st place with = win team", which is what most players want.
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

Not sure if op is trolling. I recall seeing clones of the same team in the top 50 since i started competing in arena (before relics). This dates right back to the dooku evasion meta.
  • Options
    My shard is mostly DRevan/Malak and GA$ with a smattering of my fellow Padme's.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Options
    DRevan and Malak squads make up the lion's share of the top 100 for mature shards. Probably 70% of the top 100. Sure, they can be beaten, but they still make for a boring and repetitive arena.

I think they're great squads for TW and events, but there are just so many of them.

I'd like to see a couple of new options come out that just replace the D Revan/Malak squads for relevance. Even if they knock my ranking down by 50 or 100. At least it would be a new experience and a challenge to figure out.

(And Finn's hair looked like it was molded from plastic for the first 30 minutes of the movie. Poe's hair looked like he cut it with a Flowbee)
  • Options
    32 of my current top 50 are DR teams - but not one of the top 12 are DR teams.

The new Meta is here.
  • Options
    We had a nice few hours yesterday with the Top 6 all being Padme, GAS or IG88.....poor old Malak ;)
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

And no one has ever wanted a diverse arena, never ever, so I say no more of this foolery CG!
  • Options
    That's not botox that's up with Lando's face. He looks and talks like he does because he hasn't done much else than popping pills since ep6. People become like that after dealing with pill addiction for many years, benzodiazepines like valium etc. And Lando has practically BECOME the valium. So funny.
  • Options
    What percentage of the META is required to make it diverse? Having a couple teams other that 80% is not too diverse in my opinion. 40 of 50 is DR/DM still. That definitely needs to go into the 100s. So tired of seeing them at the top.
  • Options
    IronCross wrote: »
    What percentage of the META is required to make it diverse? Having a couple teams other that 80% is not too diverse in my opinion. 40 of 50 is DR/DM still. That definitely needs to go into the 100s. So tired of seeing them at the top.

Based on the collective data we have (swgoh.gg meta report), this is definitely the most diverse the meta has been in quite some time (probably pre-JKR?). There are 3 Leaders that comprise over 10% of the Rank 1 and Top 10 teams (DR, Skywalker, Padme), and there are 4 Leaders with over 6% of the Top 100 teams (DR, Skywalker, Padme, JKR). Add in the other counters to these teams that still float around in arena and you have a pretty diverse meta.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Options
    Palanthian wrote: »

The current meta is the best defensive team, which is still Drevan and Malak. I fall further overnight leaving my fully R7 GAS team on def.

R7 GAS is the best team on def vs any team other than another R7 Gas team. R7 GAS is a 100% win rate on offense and should be holding at least some of the time on defense. You have a weird shard if DR and Malak are holding better.

That said, I preferred the DRevan Malak meta as it actually put a premium on Mods. R7 gas mirrors are ridiculously easy and mods play almost no part. It's all about making sure you target the other 5s first while the AI stupidly triggers your 5s unique.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    What's wrong with same clothes?

Nothing, a guy at work just got promoted and he is still wearing the same clothes he wore before.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    That's not botox that's up with Lando's face. He looks and talks like he does because he hasn't done much else than popping pills since ep6. People become like that after dealing with pill addiction for many years, benzodiazepines like valium etc. And Lando has practically BECOME the valium. So funny.

funny? what a weird thing to say.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    Because of this thred i get the devs,
    ppl :"we want a divers META"
    devs make a divers META *
    Ppl: :open_mouth: