Why so much?

Vekkares
12 posts Member
edited January 2020
This free to play game has packs right now that new players can buy and spend about 400 bucks to unlock JKR and gear and Zeta him. This got me to thinking, why isnt this game better? Why isnt there more to do than just grind out the same old meta that everyone else has year after year. I have played this game since almost day 1 and despite a few 6 month long breaks here and there, I dont get why people are spending so much money on this game. I mean I fell for it about blew about 300 bucks on pixels that are just the same grind every day. Im not doubting there is a fun factor at first, but after that its all about keeping up and grinding. Do we really find this fun as gamers? I mean I think now and with the Money we spent on this game over 5 years, they could have made us a gigantic open world Witcher type game that we would have all spent hundreds of hours with (Fallen Jedi was ok, but not great) and not just something to keep us busy while we poop.

Not trying to old guy rant, but man, this is just depressing how much investment we have made to play this game and we have no story mode. The RNG to collect is absolutely the worst. The meta is a matter of who has time to Relic the same DR or Padme teams (currently) and then its all just a matter of epeen at that point. I love Star Wars and I dont hate this game, but the amount of advantage money makes on this supposedly "skill" based arena game is gone. Its not skill its RNG and META, thats it. You cant throw your Ewok team in there and beat any other team at any given time because of strategy, no. It simple boils down to getting enough of what everyone else has to stay on top or dump money into the game and get those exact same items. No skill, no strategy, just this and nothing else. The Rey and Ren characters coming out are going to be the new Meta, they are going to dominate Arena until the next pay to win character comes out. I thought we as gamers, hated those people. They basically cheat codes, you dont have access to and they are literally getting paid for using them (in crystals). Im not quitting, just complaining. I hope its loud enough that others take notice and start speaking up as well. Whales and dolphins may be great, but having the player base to make them want to stay is just as important.

Replies

• So what would you expect people to get if they spend money on this game? Would you prefer that this go to a subscription based model? Shell out money just to unlock specific modes? Enough ads to make the super saver exhausted?
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    There always has to be something that is better than previous things or otherwise a lot of people would stop playing as adding new toons doesn't make a difference. Would you play a game where you can win everything with whatever team you like? There would be no reason to build up other teams except just cause.

Without the need of catching up and hunting the next meta there would be nothing to keep folks playing very long. Even a story mode or endless modes in PVE or duels im PVP won't keep you playing for years and years. You do need something to hunt for, you do need the grind or else the game would die off quickly.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • So what would you expect people to get if they spend money on this game? Would you prefer that this go to a subscription based model? Shell out money just to unlock specific modes? Enough ads to make the super saver exhausted?

What is you solution? Do you feel an individual team on this game is worth 400+ dollars? I mean 10 bucks for a character is crazy in my opinion, but I would have no issue with that to save time farming, and with all the people playing this game, plenty would but it. However if you look at individual packs its basically $1 for 100 crystals and its basically 100 crystal for every 1 character shard, so its not unheard of to spend $200-$300 on a single character, before even gearing that character. Thats what im talking about. This game seriously out prices its average player and then providers NO other function for advancement than the same grind for the next character and the Arena. Again no real investment other than guild raids and TB. Arena is fun, if you have the needed current meta, or else your toast. What else is there?
  • Kisakee wrote: »
    There always has to be something that is better than previous things or otherwise a lot of people would stop playing as adding new toons doesn't make a difference. Would you play a game where you can win everything with whatever team you like? There would be no reason to build up other teams except just cause.

Without the need of catching up and hunting the next meta there would be nothing to keep folks playing very long. Even a story mode or endless modes in PVE or duels im PVP won't keep you playing for years and years. You do need something to hunt for, you do need the grind or else the game would die off quickly.

Again youre ok with a phone game that prices out players like this one? I mean are you actually defending that?
  • You are currently complaining about the core loop of mobile games like this. You compete to get resources to improve your characters/get new ones to compete. Money gets inserted into the gaining resources to make the competing easier. I would direct complaints at the money they make vs the lack of content we get or the amount of bugs still not fixed.
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Vekkares wrote: »
    Arena is fun, if you have the needed current meta, or else your toast. What else is there?

Arena, GAC, TW - this game is all about PVP. PVE content only exists to provide more PVP material. So what happens if everyone has the same team? Right, it's getting boring. So you need something new, something better. This game is not really based on skill but on luck, money and good nerves.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Vekkares wrote: »
    Kisakee wrote: »

Again youre ok with a phone game that prices out players like this one? I mean are you actually defending that?

I'm playing since June of '16 and spent less than 10 bucks a month on average and i'm on top of my arena. GAC is something i could live without and TW is not a focus. So what am i doing here? I'm enjoying the game, the competition of staying on top of arena while building new teams to save my future top spots. I'm enjoying the grind. It's your own decision if you spend money and you know what you're getting for it in return but that doesn't mean you have any rights to demand something from the devs.

Do i defend their politics of making money? No, absolutely not. But that is what keeps the game running. You need to find your own type of fun in this game or you better leave for good before getting really frustrated. You can ask for things but don't expect any answer to it. The earlier you think like that the earlier you can live in peace.
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    The packs are worth whatever people will spend on them.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • old.jpg

Don't spend if you don't want to. People are gonna do what they're gonna do. You don't have to like it or understand it.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• They are overpriced because people still buy them.

If nobody was buying these overpriced items they would make them cheaper.

It’s just basic business
  • Vekkares wrote: »
    Kisakee wrote: »

Yes, i prefer a game that sets high prices for things. It increases the relative cost, making it easier for free players to survive (this is as someone who spends regularly). If you could get any average character 7* for $10, and geared up for an additional reasonable cost, F2P would be ruined. Any average spender could buy a quick advantage.

Now, swgoh has gotten pricier than i would like recently, but that is market price. While the forums may tell you otherwise, they are not dumb at capital games. They know what people will pay, and how to make a long running game people will spend on. Communication and qa testing may not be their strong suits, but they do know what they are doing.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    I enjoy the game very much. It's why I play.
    Also, I made a list of all the people who are priced out of this game:
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Vekkares
    12 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Yeah I get that people will pay what they will pay. Im not arguing that. I put in a ton of time, and I have my characters. I dont feel entitled if they change the game and make it more accessible for new players. I think thats the biggest complaint I have for gaming in general right now. I enjoy the collection aspect of this game and find it to be mindless fun. Now I have spent more money that I ever wanted to spend on a game, but that's on me. I spent a few hundred bucks to gear CLS up when he came out, but I gotta admit in hindsight, it makes me feel sick.

I play games on my PS4 and had played on PC for a bit, and that's kind of where my confusion comes in. My PC died, so I put the games I enjoyed the most on my PS4 (repurchased). Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2 were some of the main ones. However, not wanting to grind out all that time again, I asked for help on the forums and it was like I just murdered a town of children. The same with any exploit and cheat in any game. Asking for exploits online and youre treated like you are the worst person on the planet. Yet, it appears the same gamers (let's be honest) are perfectly fine with game monetizing cheats. Again, there is fun here with the collecting aspect. There is also a time investment thats hard to walk away from. I just am trying to understand why is it ok to have high priced exploits built into a game to reduce the fun of the FTP farm, but playing a regular game with "cheats" makes you a bad person. I feel gaming is all about "eff you I got mine and only I can enjoy this game". A lot of people with those Boomer attitudes are ruining gaming for people that just want to have fun. It's all about "you" having something and no one else having it. Thats why I feel this game should be built for skill of teams, not just current META and RNG. How is that fun? You make skill a factor, not character requirements, and I bet you breathe new life into this. Would it reduce purchases? Sure, but you have more people playing, and more people actually learning to be good at the game.
    Post edited by Vekkares on