Crewless ships are a bad idea

2Next

Replies

• Options
    How about making stats of pilotless ships scale with the capital ship? If only to let them keep up with the power creep.
  • Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I mean, it totally makes sense that a ship that only requires a hard node farm and no crew to star and gear is effective in defending against relic'd pilots. Sure, why not. The only thing that would make more sense is if you then gate access to capital ships behind guild activities, because everyone loves to have who they game with define how successful they can be in arenas.

Bravo.

Have they released any pilots and their ships together? I'm asking. I think sith bomber and the other garbage ships were released after the chars but not sure, and pilots/ships that have always been trash like res pilot have, well, always been trash, and those ships were released after the chars iirc.

and wait, who's in your guild doesn't define how successful you are in arena? Maybe i've been in a guild so long I don't remember, but can you get the gear pieces for g13/relics other than in raids, not to mention Han GK etc?

Your ability to earn GET II and access the shiny new capital ships is completely tied to your guild's ability to access the new content, which is subsequently tied to your ability to perform in fleet arena. I understand you can still climb with AA fleets, but you need to relic pilots (and a Fleet commander) that you would otherwise not want to relic. I don't think anyone is complaining about putting Relics on GG and GK because they are both excellent characters in their own right (and agreed much more difficult to obtain then Ackbar and Mace), but once you start looking at putting G13 on Bistan and SRP...

I thought it was a mistake when they tied the squad meta to a guild activity (Traya). I still feel the same way. I thought the inclusion of TB specific characters in the GET store was great since those characters were very useful (and remain so), but were nice-to-haves, not meta defining like the current capital ships. If you focused on TB content as a guild, you get a great reward, but not one that is as self-perpetuating as the crystal income tied to arena success.

You can farm G12+ salvage from the GET store (so it's guild dependent), GAC store, and shard shop. G12+ salvage is 90 tokens each, so the standard 25/20 reward common in HSTR would cost 4050 tokens, or the equivalent of 270 shards.

I understand the guild centered nature of this game. I don't appreciate when they lock arena success behind it. It's just the state of the game. Double down on that with ships that require a small fraction of the resources their counterparts do to be competitive, the long time frame required to farm from GET and, the long time frame required to bring a character to G13 and, just blah.
  • Options
    I personally love crewed ships. I remember when I first started playing this game I worked on Poe for his ship. It made total sense to me that making Poe stronger meant his ship should be stronger. It allows you to be more integrated into the Star Wars story.
  • Akenno
    538 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    What would also be better is that all ships are kinda crewless at least for the ships power and the pilots give the ships a new ability / a better ability. So all ships are kinda good but if you want to use the full potential like a new ability, you would need the pilot.

Still think a seperate gear (which is easier to farm than the one for characters) would make more sense because we could use it for potential ground vehicles aswell. (Depends what they wanna do with the game)
  • Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I mean, it totally makes sense that a ship that only requires a hard node farm and no crew to star and gear is effective in defending against relic'd pilots. Sure, why not. The only thing that would make more sense is if you then gate access to capital ships behind guild activities, because everyone loves to have who they game with define how successful they can be in arenas.

Bravo.

Have they released any pilots and their ships together? I'm asking. I think sith bomber and the other garbage ships were released after the chars but not sure, and pilots/ships that have always been trash like res pilot have, well, always been trash, and those ships were released after the chars iirc.

and wait, who's in your guild doesn't define how successful you are in arena? Maybe i've been in a guild so long I don't remember, but can you get the gear pieces for g13/relics other than in raids, not to mention Han GK etc?

Your ability to earn GET II and access the shiny new capital ships is completely tied to your guild's ability to access the new content, which is subsequently tied to your ability to perform in fleet arena. I understand you can still climb with AA fleets, but you need to relic pilots (and a Fleet commander) that you would otherwise not want to relic. I don't think anyone is complaining about putting Relics on GG and GK because they are both excellent characters in their own right (and agreed much more difficult to obtain then Ackbar and Mace), but once you start looking at putting G13 on Bistan and SRP...

I thought it was a mistake when they tied the squad meta to a guild activity (Traya). I still feel the same way. I thought the inclusion of TB specific characters in the GET store was great since those characters were very useful (and remain so), but were nice-to-haves, not meta defining like the current capital ships. If you focused on TB content as a guild, you get a great reward, but not one that is as self-perpetuating as the crystal income tied to arena success.

You can farm G12+ salvage from the GET store (so it's guild dependent), GAC store, and shard shop. G12+ salvage is 90 tokens each, so the standard 25/20 reward common in HSTR would cost 4050 tokens, or the equivalent of 270 shards.

I understand the guild centered nature of this game. I don't appreciate when they lock arena success behind it. It's just the state of the game. Double down on that with ships that require a small fraction of the resources their counterparts do to be competitive, the long time frame required to farm from GET and, the long time frame required to bring a character to G13 and, just blah.

Agreed.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with OP.

While crewless ships for droids, such as Vulture and Hyena make sense from a lore perspective (because the ships themselves are droids), other ships such as Y-Wings is nothing short of a cheap move to roll out ship content faster.

With he release of GEO TB and Negotiator Galactic Republic ships needed love quick - so here we are with a crewless Y-Wing. One of the clones easily could have been a Y-wing pilot, when looking at Anakin's strike mission against the Malevolence in the actual Clone Wars show - its not hard.

Going forward the Devs need to be putting more forethought and love into this game while rolling out new content, whether it be events or new units (toons/ships).
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    From what I've seen even 7 star y wing doesnt keep up with a relic ht

Just started farming Y-Wing, but I've got the Relic HT. I'll tell you how things work out once I get Y-Wing up to at least 6*.

I'm working on y-wing too, it seems to be a very slow farm.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Boo wrote: »

Just started farming Y-Wing, but I've got the Relic HT. I'll tell you how things work out once I get Y-Wing up to at least 6*.

I don't understand why people say this. All hard node farms are identical.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    @TVF
    All hard node farms are identical.

Sort of, but not really.

All hard nodes of the same energy cost per battle are identical. There's still a difference for higher energy nodes because with energy limited you can't do as many other farms simultaneously, and for some people that means not refreshing a node as many times since they wouldn't have the energy to use it.

But you're probably right that this was yet another, "This drop rate is lower than other drop rates" complaint, and to that extent your criticism was spot on.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »

I don't understand why people say this. All hard node farms are identical.

Of course its just RNG and people have different experiences with different nodes. I am finding the Imperial Shuttle a fairly easy farm, while I find Y-wing very slow - they are both hard nodes.

Its perspective of the individual, as well as personal experience.