Holdo maneuver

Prev1
Having it is a guaranteed clear of fleet zones in GAC. As long as you don't need the banners from doing it first try you just nuke the enemy capital ship and clean up with trash on second. Fleet in GAC is about to get even dumber.

Replies

  • Great point! And of course that will impact TW too...
  • jonnysiniwal
    258 posts Member
    edited February 13
    Yes, TW too.
  • This also assumes the other fleet doesn’t waffle stomp yours before you get the Manuever off, if you go in with just the current resistance ships in your starting line up I wouldn’t expect to last very long against current meta fleets, and the fewer resistance ships you have using specials, the longer it will take to get off cooldown... I don’t see this being much of an issue right out of the gate (it’s true HT might give the fleet some legs to get the manuever off, but there is only one HT to spread across your fleets)
  • Have you read the full kit? That fleet is going to be beefy
  • K331
    132 posts Member
    edited February 13
    Nope ,use GG ship and stun her.no last special to use.speed is the game still
  • Have you read the full kit? That fleet is going to be beefy

    I have.

    Even the kit in game, where you can see which of the bonuses are gated behind 6 and 7 star capital ship ownership, and I continue to stand by original statement - “I don’t see this being much of an issue right out of the gate”.
  • Yeah nah it’s probably going to get pretty dumb. Holdo’s team will probably be unkillable, I imagine mirror matches will be a complete snooze fest until the big climax where they both kill each other.

    So it’ll probably be 1) send in backup fleet to get enemy Holdo to maneuver herself straight into the garbage can 2) beat the now beatable enemy fleet
  • Also I know this thread isn’t about the movie but god the Holdo Maneuver is so bad for the internal logic of the series.

    Who knew we could have just lobbed kamikaze pilots into the Death Star until it blew up? Better yet, get droids to pilot the ships.
  • K331 wrote: »
    Nope ,use GG ship and stun her.no last special to use.speed is the game still

    Did I talk about holdo on Defense? I must have missed that?
  • Good luck on hold 10 rounds (or little less depend on buffs) with a crap fleet.
  • dalosto147 wrote: »
    Good luck on hold 10 rounds (or little less depend on buffs) with a crap fleet.
    do not confuse trolls with facts

  • Slothmaster
    235 posts Member
    edited February 13
    It’s a 10 turn cooldown that is reduced each time a resistance ally with foresight uses a special ability. She gives out a lot of foresight, not to mention the foresight resistance characters may give themselves. And nobody said crap fleet, I said backup fleet.

    Do not confuse the definition of troll for “anyone I disagree with”.
  • As long as you don't need the banners from doing it first try

    OK but like, shouldn't you be aiming for that?
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png



  • Jarvind wrote: »
    As long as you don't need the banners from doing it first try

    OK but like, shouldn't you be aiming for that?

    not a single person full cleared me this last week. So it doesn't really matter if it takes 8 tries per team. As long as I clear I win. This isn't all that rare. I am sure I am not the only person that finds this sort of win condition. Or, maybe they drop 2 battles and it leaves me room to throw one? There are a lot of circumstances that will marginalize any reasons for having multiple fleets. It isn't that hard to figure out the enormous tactical advantage this ship gives.

  • Also I know this thread isn’t about the movie but god the Holdo Maneuver is so bad for the internal logic of the series.

    Who knew we could have just lobbed kamikaze pilots into the Death Star until it blew up? Better yet, get droids to pilot the ships.

    Lol they confirmed that the only reason it worked was that the Raddus had a reinforced shield. Without that shield it would have disintegrated on contact with the enemy shield and wouldn't have done anything. Who knew it doesn't do anything to the logic of the series, especially when that logic is based on the rule of cool.
  • ShaggyB
    936 posts Member
    edited February 14
    K331 wrote: »
    Nope ,use GG ship and stun her.no last special to use.speed is the game still

    Yep. Greavous makes it hard to get that done.

    That said ive yet to see it as i can beat the event before having to use it
  • ShaggyB wrote: »
    K331 wrote: »
    Nope ,use GG ship and stun her.no last special to use.speed is the game still

    Yep. Greavous makes it hard to get that done.

    That said ive yet to see it as i can beat the event before having to use it

    I actually was able to use it in the bonus round. It was interesting it killed the enemy ship and dropped 1 more reinforcement to fill out my 5. Without negotiator the rest of those ships were as good as dead. It's an interesting concept. One that should probably only be used if you have numerical superiority.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    No it’s not going to be dumber because all the good players are able to one shot fleets without any problems

    Plus the Raddus sucks.
  • Nauros
    3145 posts Member
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    K331 wrote: »
    Nope ,use GG ship and stun her.no last special to use.speed is the game still

    Yep. Greavous makes it hard to get that done.

    That said ive yet to see it as i can beat the event before having to use it

    Except GG doesn't reduce his ult cooldown and Holdo does, so guess who's gonna fire it off first. In case it wasn't clear already, CG hates everyone who picked Malevolence over Nego...
    Revive the stores, the game needs it.
  • Ephran wrote: »
    Also I know this thread isn’t about the movie but god the Holdo Maneuver is so bad for the internal logic of the series.

    Who knew we could have just lobbed kamikaze pilots into the Death Star until it blew up? Better yet, get droids to pilot the ships.

    Lol they confirmed that the only reason it worked was that the Raddus had a reinforced shield. Without that shield it would have disintegrated on contact with the enemy shield and wouldn't have done anything. Who knew it doesn't do anything to the logic of the series, especially when that logic is based on the rule of cool.

    source.gif

    Ya been served. (with even more accurate star wars wookiepedia level knowledge)
  • TVF
    19724 posts Member
    edited February 14
    Nauros wrote: »
    CG hates everyone who picked Malevolence over Nego...

    Dunno, seems like a fleet that can consistently beat a fully relic'd fleet with some G12 pilots and some ships that have no pilots (and therefore no gear sinks) is something that CG gave me because they love me.
    TVF's guild is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Dnoff423 wrote: »
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    K331 wrote: »
    Nope ,use GG ship and stun her.no last special to use.speed is the game still

    Yep. Greavous makes it hard to get that done.

    That said ive yet to see it as i can beat the event before having to use it

    I actually was able to use it in the bonus round. It was interesting it killed the enemy ship and dropped 1 more reinforcement to fill out my 5. Without negotiator the rest of those ships were as good as dead. It's an interesting concept. One that should probably only be used if you have numerical superiority.

    Yeah i wanted to use it.... but my resistance ships are my weakest so.... speeding it up is not easy
  • Also I know this thread isn’t about the movie but god the Holdo Maneuver is so bad for the internal logic of the series.

    Who knew we could have just lobbed kamikaze pilots into the Death Star until it blew up? Better yet, get droids to pilot the ships.

    @Slothmaster

    What you’re saying isn’t true.
    You wouldn’t be able to fly xwings into the death star and blow it up. You’d need something bigger. Which the Death Star would see coming. Holdo was able to do it because she surprised them.

    Why does her sacrifice suddenly mean that everyone else should be going in killing themselves in missions to destroy things? Clearly there are other ways


    But for the topic in hand. If you use the Raddus as stated you’ll still need two battles. Which means that if you’re opponent beats you in one the Raddus is less effective
  • Nauros
    3145 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    CG hates everyone who picked Malevolence over Nego...

    Dunno, seems like a fleet that can consistently beat a fully relic'd fleet with some G12 pilots and some ships that have no pilots (and therefore no gear sinks) is something that CG gave me because they love me.

    And with Nego, you would probably still win, and get TB utility on top of that.
    Revive the stores, the game needs it.
  • TVF
    19724 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    CG hates everyone who picked Malevolence over Nego...

    Dunno, seems like a fleet that can consistently beat a fully relic'd fleet with some G12 pilots and some ships that have no pilots (and therefore no gear sinks) is something that CG gave me because they love me.

    And with Nego, you would probably still win, and get TB utility on top of that.

    That wasn't the argument.
    TVF's guild is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • There's an easy way to test this theory, at least for folks who managed to unlock Raddus. Try taking it into a fleet battle and see if you can get the maneuver off. I suspect you won't be able to. Despite the foresight and protection recovery, a decent GR, Sep, or Rebel fleet will mow down the garbage resistance which is currently available. How do you expect to survive more than a couple rounds when they have the top ships in the game, and you can't kill anything?
  • Ephran wrote: »
    Also I know this thread isn’t about the movie but god the Holdo Maneuver is so bad for the internal logic of the series.

    Who knew we could have just lobbed kamikaze pilots into the Death Star until it blew up? Better yet, get droids to pilot the ships.

    Lol they confirmed that the only reason it worked was that the Raddus had a reinforced shield. Without that shield it would have disintegrated on contact with the enemy shield and wouldn't have done anything. Who knew it doesn't do anything to the logic of the series, especially when that logic is based on the rule of cool.

    One of the standard Star Wars physics truths we have accepted is that bigger ships have stronger shields, presumably because they have room for bigger generators. It's a simple explanation that we can all understand, strength scales with size. It stands to reason that Supremacy should have had stronger shields than Raddus.

    Now you want us to accept that Raddus had a "reinforced" shield? Really? That's the explanation we are given? What exactly is so special about a "reinforced" shield? Does it have rebar in it? Probably not, maybe just MOAR BETTER shield generators than the other ships, with extra special deflecting power. Power to deflect the strongest bombardment, and fly through other ships' shields with impunity.
    Hey, wait a minute now ... the Raddus had more better shields like this, and the only strategy they could come up with was to run away? Why not take their impervious shields, turn around, and just frontal assault the enemy fleet, fly through their shields at point-blank range and blow them into smithereens?
    I suppose it's a good thing that Supremacy didn't have EXTRA MOAR BETTER shields or the whole maneuver would have been like running into a brick wall.

    They should put these "reinforced" shields on every ship. Boy, that would show them who's boss!

    On an unrelated side note: it was called a "Star Destroyer" not because it was a destroyer of stars, but because it is a destroyer (a class of naval ship) that flies among the stars. Frigates, destroyers, cruisers, freighters ... all of these SHIPS belong to the NAVY that commands them.
    I just had to get that off my chest. I'm so relieved.
  • Ephran wrote: »
    Also I know this thread isn’t about the movie but god the Holdo Maneuver is so bad for the internal logic of the series.

    Who knew we could have just lobbed kamikaze pilots into the Death Star until it blew up? Better yet, get droids to pilot the ships.

    Lol they confirmed that the only reason it worked was that the Raddus had a reinforced shield. Without that shield it would have disintegrated on contact with the enemy shield and wouldn't have done anything. Who knew it doesn't do anything to the logic of the series, especially when that logic is based on the rule of cool.

    Hey, wait a minute now ... the Raddus had more better shields like this, and the only strategy they could come up with was to run away? Why not take their impervious shields, turn around, and just frontal assault the enemy fleet, fly through their shields at point-blank range and blow them into smithereens?

    Congrats you’ve described what they did in the movie.
  • Ephran wrote: »
    Also I know this thread isn’t about the movie but god the Holdo Maneuver is so bad for the internal logic of the series.

    Who knew we could have just lobbed kamikaze pilots into the Death Star until it blew up? Better yet, get droids to pilot the ships.

    Lol they confirmed that the only reason it worked was that the Raddus had a reinforced shield. Without that shield it would have disintegrated on contact with the enemy shield and wouldn't have done anything. Who knew it doesn't do anything to the logic of the series, especially when that logic is based on the rule of cool.

    Hey, wait a minute now ... the Raddus had more better shields like this, and the only strategy they could come up with was to run away? Why not take their impervious shields, turn around, and just frontal assault the enemy fleet, fly through their shields at point-blank range and blow them into smithereens?

    Congrats you’ve described what they did in the movie.

    That is not what they did in TLJ. A kamikaze ramming run is far different from a tactical assault, and one of these makes far better use of impervious shields with lower requirement for certain death.
Sign In or Register to comment.