GAC gp tiebreaker is unfair

2Next

Replies

• I have never been in a situation where i had the same points as the opponent at the end of GA round. So this post is already too much time spent talking about something which happens very rarely
    “This has never happened to me, so stop talking about it”
  • ShaggyB wrote: »
    Me.... i have an offense set of meta characters but my defense set is not as good. I either go all offense or all defense. I have no balance... but my gp is 5.5mil

You're in Division 1 at 5.5m GP. In Div 1, everyone has a huge roster. So using the "my opponent has a few highly focused teams" excuse doesn't apply. If you're at 5.5m gp for taking ugnaught, jawas, lobot, CUP, Mob Enforcer and so on to R7, you can only blame yourself. Otherwise, you're clearly not taking the time to look through your opponent's roster and learning counters. You can't just go all out on offense or defense. Just need to play around with the teams you set for offense/defense in your division. Review your GAC history on swgoh.gg. Learn what people use against your teams. Find out what works or what doesn't work. You can't be relying on your GP alone in Div 1.

If, by some miracle, you beat a 6m+ gp player in Div 1 at 5.5m, should you not get the win for that incredible underdog?

No... if i beat him i get the win. If i tie him... he should get the win. Hes invested more time or money.

Thats the breaks.
  • I just lost a draw due to being the lower gp person, that’s fine it is what it is I guess. But curious... if you have 2 players maxed roster (all g13’s and relic 7 with 6e mods) who wins the tie break in that circumstance ?

Now thats a good question?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I just lost a draw due to being the lower gp person, that’s fine it is what it is I guess. But curious... if you have 2 players maxed roster (all g13’s and relic 7 with 6e mods) who wins the tie break in that circumstance ?

My guess is, that they make sure during matchmaking, that two players with identical GP don't get matched. Just a guess, though.
  • It should be possible to deactivate unused chars. then I would agree that lower gp should win
  • How about using speed as a defining factor.
    Who won their battles, combined time, the quickest?
    Either side of the offence v defence coin works on this.
    A good D can drag out a fight or someone going all offence can clear fights quick, either way, however you deploy, if you tie, you have a chance to win based on your strategy or skill.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    I just lost a draw due to being the lower gp person, that’s fine it is what it is I guess. But curious... if you have 2 players maxed roster (all g13’s and relic 7 with 6e mods) who wins the tie break in that circumstance ?

My guess is, that they make sure during matchmaking, that two players with identical GP don't get matched. Just a guess, though.
    Unlikely. Too far removed from the problem and too much effort for a corner case. More likely they just use a virtual coin-flip at match resolution time.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »

Unlikely. Too far removed from the problem and too much effort for a corner case. More likely they just use a virtual coin-flip at match resolution time.

I don't see how either of the solutions would require much effort to implement. One of them would be consistent with what CG announced the tiebreaker to be - the other wouldn't.

But yes, we're just guessing here.
  • Krjstoff
    633 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    "Fair" is irrelevant and always a subjective matter.
    CG can never create a frame work for a duelling game mode, which everybody thinks is fair.

The way I see it, GAC is a game mode with a set frame work, which everybody knows by know.
    The way ties are resolved is just a part of that frame work and a condition you much take into account when playing.

As with all game modes, optimize your chance at reaching a win condition.
    If you lose, you analyze on what made you lose, and then you work to improve for the next match up.
    You only need to find 1 more banner to win ...

In every single matchup there will be a winner and a loser, so begging for a change in the frame work just makes you a sore loser really. Sorry.
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    You know what would be fun is an overtime mechanism. Some 2v2 team or an arena team matchup where whoever defeats quicker gets an extra banner; one battle that decides the fate of who takes the win. Honestly, higher or lower GP or a coin flip all sound bad to me. An actual collection mechanism at the end sounds more fun and fair to me. Most sports don't add the collective weight of all their players together and whoever weighs more wins on a tie; in retrospect it's actually an odd concept to implement.
  • Waqui wrote: »

I don't see how either of the solutions would require much effort to implement. One of them would be consistent with what CG announced the tiebreaker to be - the other wouldn't.

RNG pull at match resolution if GPs are equal is clean, simple and requires minimal code.

Factoring an equal GP check into matchmaking is more complex, requires more code, could add significant processing time and potentially introduces new problems.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

RNG pull at match resolution if GPs are equal is clean, simple and requires minimal code.

Factoring an equal GP check into matchmaking is more complex, requires more code, could add significant processing time and potentially introduces new problems.

I don't believe that processing time is such a big deal as you do. Most of the processing can be done during the 24 sign-up period as people press join. I highly doubt that all of it takes place during those 5 minutes between the end of sign-up and the beginning of the first round.