Stuck in a mature arena shard

I started playing SWGoH shortly after launch, entered the arena, then took a break for a bit. Within the last few years I have been working my way up in the arena however I find that most of the opponents around me have years of progression on me. It's been a long road but I have made slow progress at climbing but it definitely had a negative effect on my experience as a newer player.

Is the arena ranking system something that is on the radar of the devs? I feel like the competition you face should be based on your relative power and skill rather than the age of your account. GAC was a step in this direction, as matchmaking is based around your account GP, but I feel like the standard fleet and squad arenas could benefit from a similar approach. This would benefit players who maybe didn't commit to arena immediately as they would be able to compete and still reliably farm arena currency required for many characters considered critical for progression.

Replies

• Calcine wrote: »
    I started playing SWGoH shortly after launch, entered the arena, then took a break for a bit. Within the last few years I have been working my way up in the arena however I find that most of the opponents around me have years of progression on me. It's been a long road but I have made slow progress at climbing but it definitely had a negative effect on my experience as a newer player.

Is the arena ranking system something that is on the radar of the devs? I feel like the competition you face should be based on your relative power and skill rather than the age of your account. GAC was a step in this direction, as matchmaking is based around your account GP, but I feel like the standard fleet and squad arenas could benefit from a similar approach. This would benefit players who maybe didn't commit to arena immediately as they would be able to compete and still reliably farm arena currency required for many characters considered critical for progression.

They've stated they wont pull people from shards and put them in newer ones. It wouldnt be fair to those that stuck with the game and put the time in. Depending on how far behind you are, it might be better to just restart. It is possible to pull yourself up and starting placing in the 200's. With the journey guide you can unlock legendary's at anytime.

Do you have a swgoh.gg profile? If you do, post it and people can help guide you.
  • They've stated they wont pull people from shards and put them in newer ones. It wouldnt be fair to those that stuck with the game and put the time in. Depending on how far behind you are, it might be better to just restart. It is possible to pull yourself up and starting placing in the 200's. With the journey guide you can unlock legendary's at anytime.

Do you have a swgoh.gg profile? If you do, post it and people can help guide you.

I'm not really interested in restarting nor necessarily moving to a new shard, and I'm at peace with the progression I've been able to make. We are all here to enjoy this game in some form or fashion, and while a change may not be possible due to the underlying architecture of the game itself I think a conversation about the new player experience is important to have for the long-term health of the game.

They've stated they wont pull people from shards and put them in newer ones. It wouldnt be fair to those that stuck with the game and put the time in. Depending on how far behind you are, it might be better to just restart. It is possible to pull yourself up and starting placing in the 200's. With the journey guide you can unlock legendary's at anytime.

I'm not really interested in restarting nor necessarily moving to a new shard, and I'm at peace with the progression I've been able to make. We are all here to enjoy this game in some form or fashion, and while a change may not be possible due to the underlying architecture of the game itself I think a conversation about the new player experience is important to have for the long-term health of the game.

There has been a big focus on the new player experience over the last 6 months, with the introduction of the journey guide and the hyper drive bundle. This takes away the waiting for the legendary event to show up and you can do it when ready.
    Everyone can get whoever they like first instead of whoever's event pops up first. This makes it a more even playing field also.
  • The good news is that success in arena only takes one team. Since you're already starting from behind, you could always make an educated guess on the next meta (either Galactic Legend) and focus your roster development there in lieu of continuing to invest in an aging meta. It won't cost you many crystals.

Alternatively you could speculate and prepare for something far off in the future (Jedi Luke, ahem).

Funny thing is they are wrong about the fairness part. Consistent players will be eons ahead with mods, the greatest factor in the game in most battles. It would really be unfair when the discrepancies are small, like 1 to 6 months. 1.5 years off? I'd far rather the world fix that by the devs shuffling than telling thousands of individuals to begin years of non-value added work by restarting.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Calcine wrote: »

Funny thing is they are wrong about the fairness part.

How can you be wrong in a subjective matter as this? "They" simply see it differently than you do.