Road Ahead Blog

Should March have been a road ahead blog? They’ve mentioned those would be quarterly updates and the last one we had was 11/20.

Replies

• Should March have been a road ahead blog? They’ve mentioned those would be quarterly updates and the last one we had was 11/20.

They changed road ahead from a quarterly schedule to a "when we have big news" schedule. I am expecting to see one around the time of the Galactic Legends release (so sometime in the next month) that covers the new "next big thing".
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • That makes sense. Hopefully the next road ahead covers more than just GL and has something new to announce (I.e raid, pve, etc).
  • Unfortunately I feel the same way. The frequency or lack of it, in regards to communications from the devs, combined with things like the Vets still not getting the tags that were announced a while ago make me start to doubt the devs statement about bringing a lot of new content to the game this year.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Until they get their spaghetti code issue resolved I remain doubtful we will have truly new content anytime soon. I really hope I’m wrong on this one.
    "Truly new content."

As opposed to all of the new content we've been getting all this time.

We won't get any truly new content until people stop No True Scotsmanning any new content we get out of counting as new content.
    Still not a he.
  • Eweff
    400 posts Member
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Until they get their spaghetti code issue resolved I remain doubtful we will have truly new content anytime soon. I really hope I’m wrong on this one.
    "Truly new content."

We won't get any truly new content until people stop No True Scotsmanning any new content we get out of counting as new content.

So you agree there hasn’t been any new content.
  • Unfortunately I feel the same way. The frequency or lack of it, in regards to communications from the devs, combined with things like the Vets still not getting the tags that were announced a while ago make me start to doubt the devs statement about bringing a lot of new content to the game this year.

You should never believed in the lots of new content coming anyway. Just look at the track record...
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Eweff wrote: »
    "Truly new content."

You read the argument incorrectly. It’s not “the devs will hold off on real content until we fix our attitudes”, it’s “At a certain point, our attitudes will result in nothing seeming like new content”.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    "Truly new content."

I think many people would be willing to accept new content if it actually existed. A new game mode or new raid would be extremely pleasing. LSGTB even qualifies in my eyes had the content not been designed around where our roster will be in 2 years. Even devs acknowledged in the qa that none of these releases are the meaningful and impactful content that the game needs to stay engaging. So here's to hoping that after GLs they announce something that allows us to look at our roster and come up new ways to effectively use the toons we have ie raids or ga
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    I think many people would be willing to accept new content if it actually existed. A new game mode or new raid would be extremely pleasing. LSGTB even qualifies in my eyes had the content not been designed around where our roster will be in 2 years. Even devs acknowledged in the qa that none of these releases are the meaningful and impactful content that the game needs to stay engaging. So here's to hoping that after GLs they announce something that allows us to look at our roster and come up new ways to effectively use the toons we have ie raids or ga
    Counterpoint.

You are asserting people will accept future new content WHILE DISCOUNTING THE NEW CONTENT WE GOT.

And you are discounting it not because it isn't new content, but because you don't like something about it and would prefer something else, which is a completely nonsensical reason to not count something as new content. New content that you do not like is still new content. New content when you wanted something different is still new content.
    Still not a he.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Counterpoint.

You are asserting people will accept future new content WHILE DISCOUNTING THE NEW CONTENT WE GOT.

And you are discounting it not because it isn't new content, but because you don't like something about it and would prefer something else, which is a completely nonsensical reason to not count something as new content. New content that you do not like is still new content. New content when you wanted something different is still new content.

LSGeoTB was released last year so doesn’t count for this year. Nor does it being unplayable with current rosters quality it for true new content last year.

The Challenge Tiers I’ll even give the label “new content”. It may be the same content as before with increased difficulty, albeit some of the battles a little too much but eh, still something new to do.

GL’s? Not released yet and playability lies beyond a skyscraper of gear reqs that not won’t be able to play for almost a year. So that doesn’t count.

What other new content have we gotten all this time? Call it for what it is, a lack of new playable content so far this year.
  • @Wraith_Squadron

The last new content I noticed that i would call new content was the Advanced Fleet Mastery events, and before that the GeoTBs.

I think the challenge tiers count as new content for some, but not for others. I think that I saw someone point out that the actually strategies & bosses involved aren't different - so it's harder, but not "new" to those people. On the other hand, a challenge tier didn't exist and now it does, so it's "new"...it's just not new content because the contents aren't new, only the stats of the enemies are new.

I think in the most technical, nit-picky way you can parse it, the challenge tiers count as new content, but they aren't what players have been looking or asking for.

Now, the GLs might count. With the ticket system, however that works, this might be like a personal raid (an idea suggested here many times), with more shards each repeat. If it's a one time event, it will be new content for a couple hours, then t will be over and irrelevant. So I tend to believe that the GLs will be new content, but still not satisfy the player hunger for new things to do. After all, we who comment on the forum almost certainly play this game 6+ days a week on average, week after week, and for many of us year after year. A couple hours is a tiny drop in a large bucket. So I'm hoping that it's more a personal raid that grants 10 shards at a time.

But even assuming that's true, it only becomes "content" once its unlocked. Gearing up characters isn't "content" and we won't get to play that GL stuff for a long time, most of us. 12 new g13 toons means dropping g13 on half again as many toons as I have g13'd already, and how long have we had g13/relics now? A year? So we're talking about 6 months for me. R7 is even worse. And we can't begin to collect tickets until we have those multiple toons at r7.

So, sure, new content, but if the vast majority of the player base can't access it, then it's not actually new content for them until such time as it actually becomes available.

This is also the mystery that is LS Geo TB: Yep. It's definitely new content, but for most people it's not playable. DS Geo seems to be the sweet spot for my roster. I actually lost an Acklay battle last time - the first time in a long time, but it was because I wasn't taking my strategy seriously enough and suddenly got hit by 3 quick AoEs from 2 Jedi and the Acklay. It was actually good - nothing's automatic. I never get more than one 4/4 win in p4. There's room for growth, but I'm still having fun playing and feeling like I'm accomplishing something.

LS Geo is different. Once I hit p3 I no longer feel like I'm accomplishing anything. And I'm a bit over 5M. It took me a long time to get to 4M, and I would have been instantly toasted with my 4M roster. So that's not new content for those people. It's content-in-waiting.

And that's good. That's fine. I don't complain about that, even if I have more fun with DS Geo. But it's different from a new raid or new game mode that's recurring - not a couple hours once and then forget it, like Epic Confrontations, or an event I can't play because I can't qualify for it.

So people will still hunger for new things to actually spend time playing. And you can quibble over the definition of New Content (I do, I've told people that they're being silly by saying the LS Geo TB isn't new content), but at bottom this isn't about meeting a definition. This is about giving players new things to do.

GL isn't going to do that for the vast majority of people. Only Geo TB has done that, but Geo TB is only around half the time, and the difficulty levels are so different, it's hard to imagine that the people kicking LS are having much fun with DS, and the people who are seriously challenged but beating a lot of encounters and having fun in DS meeting those challenges aren't going to be having much fun in LS. So for a lot of us, that means that the fun part of Geo TB is only around 1/4 of the time.

I'll probably keep playing with or without new content at least through end of September, but every fall and winter things get busy and I wonder if it's time to quit. If I think about that, then surely other serious players also think about quitting. And so we ask for the things that are going to make the game more engaging, make us less likely to quit (since we can't read others' minds and tell CG what would work for others). For most of us chatting about it on the forum, that seems to be something new and interesting that engages the brain. Something that's available much more often than one week a month. Something that requires new strategies and rewards new team compositions. Maybe (although this isn't required) something that is truly new and different (the rumored vehicle combat mode, for instance).

So when people talk about wanting "new content" even though you and I know that we've gotten new things like challenge tiers and Advanced Fleet Mastery events that last a few minutes once every week or two, what they're really be likely to be asking for is something like what I described in that last paragraph.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    "Truly new content."

I love how YaeViszla's posts are always cold, hard logic and people always respond with this brainless "lol no" stuff. The contrast borders on artwork.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Fanatic
    415 posts Member
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Counterpoint.

LSGeoTB was released last year so doesn’t count for this year. Nor does it being unplayable with current rosters quality it for true new content last year.

So it also doesn't count as new content if you can't auto it?

LSGeoTB is playable. It is extremely hard. But that is a very different thing than unplayable. Unplayable would be "the game crashes when you try to do a battle". I'll even be leniant with the definition and say unplayable would also include "not possible to earn a single star". It is NOT unplayable.

When the definition for "new content" is "something I like, and can complete on auto", it is not a very meaningful or useful definition as that is entirely subjective based on an individuals current roster state.

• Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    ZAP wrote: »
    Hey
    Counterpoint.

Since you understand this game more than any of us, can you please explain what new playable content CG has released in the last 6 months?

We’d Appreciate your help in this matter, thank you.

Could that be more passive aggressive?

It depends on your definition. And unfortunately most people who criticize a lack of content will never be swayed because definitions vary. @YaeVizsla is simply pointing out that a lot of definitions presented here are narrow.

I like to compare this game to others on the App Store because it’s a large market. There are a lot of games that focus on one gaming aspect, they update every month, the end. This game, however, has many different game modes and events. They have way more than one or two ways to stimulate the game, and that makes the definition of “new content” very important here. For example, many people could easily count the challenge tiers out as nothing new, but in most other apps, that’s the kind of update they get once a month to stimulate play. Harder tiers of the same old thing is well within CG’s view of new content, or stimulating content, just like more powerful characters, character reworks, higher gear levels, or a few more PvE nodes. And while most people here would probably only count the new TB and characters from last year as real content, CG actually does a lot of different things at varying levels of importance that could count as “new content”. But if people wish to complain about it, that’s up to them. We will see if CG listens and increases the rate of new characters and modes.

One more observation: GA and GAC are probably the reasons that CG has slowed down. They released these new modes after a long strain of characters that they threw at us at an amazing rate after STR. The fatigue was running high, and to top that, there were tons and tons of bugs and overlooked mechanics, and they have spent the last half year revising it. I think this caused them to slow down and plan out the next five years. Just an observation.

So take from this what you wish, but just know that @YaeVizsla is trying to point out that definitions are important and that most definitions are very narrow. If you got to the end, you get a thumbs up!
  • I am not trying to poke the bear, but what is this new content you keep talking about? What do you consider as new content? Insight into your perspective might help me understand better.
    ZAP wrote: »
    Hey
    Counterpoint.

Since you understand this game more than any of us, can you please explain what new playable content CG has released in the last 6 months?

We’d Appreciate your help in this matter, thank you.

Anything I can play or use in game is new content to me. So in the last 6 months we had LS Geo, both new Advanced fleet mastery events, a few Marquees, Clash on Kamino, and all of the new assault battle challenge tiers. All of which is new content, even though I am not able to complete (or in some cases even compete well) in all of it. I do not expect the devs to cater to my specific spot in the game as I believe their primary focus for content should be late game content, with their early/mid game efforts focused on how to help newer players get to endgame faster.

Side note: It is extremely ironic that the 2nd post to respond to Yae's "Stop No True Scotsmanning" post was to No True Scotsman LS Geo tb as "not new content because it is too hard".
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • What you see is what you get. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »
    "Truly new content."

I love how YaeViszla's posts are always cold, hard logic and people always respond with this brainless "lol no" stuff. The contrast borders on artwork.

lol yes
  • @Wraith_Squadron
    If we can agree on anything it’s that new content is a personal opinion that is based, in part, on a person’s GP and guild.

Yes, this. I mean, like I said, there's "new content" based on rigorous definitions by which we would (and should!) count things like new challenge tiers, but the phrase "new content" has been given different meaning here on these forums than its literal meaning, and that meaning is definitely changed by a person's particular situation in the game. In that sense the Rancor raid isn't "content" to someone who is level 19, because they don't qualify.

People wanting interesting, challenging things to do, and wanting them on their own schedule (not one time per month), is driving the call for "new content". I'd like that, of course, but I'm not usually one of the ones calling for it. I have a life outside the game and while it would be nice if there was always something to do in the game right when I had spare time, I think it's a bit unreasonable that CG perfectly fill every minute of my day not filled with something else.