Why do I get so often the same opponent in GAC?

2Next

Replies

  • MaulVI
    19 posts Member
    Division 3, fighting the same person for the third time in a row..
  • Mephisto_style
    3891 posts Member
    edited March 25
    Pretty funny because I explicitly recall reading CG had written, "You will never face the same opponent."

    Edit, my bad, I dug up what I read. Sorry, was quite a long time ago.
    And, I believe it was before GAC. So the entire post is probably irrelevant now.

    More importantly, I would absolutely love a "best of 3" GAC. An entire GAC where I only had 3 opponents. My roster has no Revans. I've beaten DR/Malak rosters. I'd love the chance to face 3 back to back matches against the same person. So I guess it would be Best of 3 Best of 3 Best of 3, followed by a Best of the 3 players. I best a lot of top players would like that.
    vozko1g19agy.png
  • TVF
    21367 posts Member
    Pretty funny because I explicitly recall reading CG had written, "You will never face the same opponent."

    Gonna have to dig that one up for us.

    I remember them saying it would be rare but not unheard of.
    TVF's guild is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Pretty funny because I explicitly recall reading CG had written, "You will never face the same opponent."

    Edit, my bad, I dug up what I read. Sorry, was quite a long time ago.
    vozko1g19agy.png

    Ya, so this is fine. I got in the same group 2 weeks in a row with a guy. Week 1 faced him, week 2 didn't. Each week provides a new group and a new chance to fight the same person. But you will NEVER face the same person within a singular GAC 8-person bracket.
  • Kyno
    22706 posts Moderator
    Jack1210 wrote: »
    Pretty funny because I explicitly recall reading CG had written, "You will never face the same opponent."

    Edit, my bad, I dug up what I read. Sorry, was quite a long time ago.
    vozko1g19agy.png

    Ya, so this is fine. I got in the same group 2 weeks in a row with a guy. Week 1 faced him, week 2 didn't. Each week provides a new group and a new chance to fight the same person. But you will NEVER face the same person within a singular GAC 8-person bracket.

    This is correct. never in the same event, but across the Championship its possible because each event is independent.

    The best information we can provide them is how often it is happening in a championship. that can help highlight if this is an issue, or within the margins they expect.
  • I faced same opponent in battle 3 of a round then round 1 in the next gac, it was only 3-4 days between the rematch.
  • Rath_Tarr
    2863 posts Member
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    When I compare to my todays opponent then we have both 3 more or less full relic teams, both 4 mixed relic and G12 teams but then I have 2 G12 teams and he has 6 G12 teams... So he outmatches me clearly...
    swgoh.gg roster links?

    MIne: https://swgoh.gg/p/973864746/characters/

    Tio Ben: https://swgoh.gg/p/265575518/characters/
    Yeah, that's what I thought. You have too much GP concentrated in those 11 r7 characters and 8 more r4/5. Your opponent has his power spread among more characters and squads for a more balanced roster.

    You made your choices on what to upgrade and now you need to figure out how to work with what you have.

    For future development I would recommend spreading g13/relic power around more evenly. Not every character needs to be r7 or even g13 for a squad to be effective.
  • Rath_Tarr
    2863 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    When I compare to my todays opponent then we have both 3 more or less full relic teams, both 4 mixed relic and G12 teams but then I have 2 G12 teams and he has 6 G12 teams... So he outmatches me clearly...
    swgoh.gg roster links?

    MIne: https://swgoh.gg/p/973864746/characters/

    Tio Ben: https://swgoh.gg/p/265575518/characters/
    Yeah, that's what I thought. You have too much GP concentrated in those 11 r7 characters and 8 more r4/5. Your opponent has his power spread among more characters and squads for a more balanced roster.

    You made your choices on what to upgrade and now you need to figure out how to work with what you have.

    For future development I would recommend spreading g13/relic power around more evenly. Not every character needs to be r7 or even g13 for a squad to be effective.
    That concentration of matchmaking GP could also explain why you get the same opponents repeatedly. Rosters with the highest or lowest matchmaking GP in a division+league seem likely to draw the same opponents repeatedly.

    Matchmaking probably just sorts a league+division by matchmaking GP and goes from top to bottom making brackets of 8.

    For most people this would work okay because their matchmaking GP changes from week to week and their are plenty of other players with similar GPs so their opponents also change. For players at the top or bottom of a division+league the pool of potential matches may be smaller and the likelihood of seeing the same opponent may be higher.
  • Jarvind
    3424 posts Member
    I don't think I've ever had the same opponent twice. If I did I'm not sure I'd remember anyway. My efforts to chat with my opponents always yielded one word answers or none at all so I stopped trying.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png



  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    @Manolo_GER Judging by your GAC history, your matches are quite even. The losses in the 2 most recent GAs were not caused by the matchmaking. (or at least, I would have played your offense and possibly also defense slightly differently)

    Thinly veiled brag....

    2 of 10

    Maybe 3-4 if you included examples but even a 2 might be giving too much cred
  • I have matched 3 times with same person, two of them within same GAC.
    Twice with another guy, within same GAC as well
  • It's funny, in week 2 of this GAC a guildmate and I were in the same 8-player bracket, but we were disappointed that we never got matched. Now in week 4 we're facing each other for the first round.
  • Maybe this is an opportunity to test the “matchmaking starts as soon as you join” response we get in other threads. If you always join GAC at the same time, try joining at a completely different time and see if your matchups continue the way they have been.

    Proves nothing but might be an interesting exercise for you if you are getting the same opponents over and over.
  • Waqui
    6879 posts Member
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »
    @Manolo_GER Judging by your GAC history, your matches are quite even. The losses in the 2 most recent GAs were not caused by the matchmaking. (or at least, I would have played your offense and possibly also defense slightly differently)

    Thinly veiled brag....

    2 of 10

    Maybe 3-4 if you included examples but even a 2 might be giving too much cred

    Check for yourself. The link to swgoh.gg is available.
  • I faced same opponent in battle 3 of a round then round 1 in the next gac, it was only 3-4 days between the rematch.

    Yes, but separate groups. WAI.
  • Jack1210
    627 posts Member
    edited March 25
    I have matched 3 times with same person, two of them within same GAC.
    Twice with another guy, within same GAC as well

    You have not matched up twice within 1 week with the same person. The 8 man bracket is like a tournament. Winners of each round face winners, losers face losers and there will never be a duplicated matchup. There are a lot of generic names out there that may be duplicates though.
    Edit: when i say 1 week, I mean 1 bracket of 8, not 1 week of real-time
  • Waqui
    6879 posts Member
    edited March 26
    Jack1210 wrote: »
    I have matched 3 times with same person, two of them within same GAC.
    Twice with another guy, within same GAC as well

    You have not matched up twice within 1 week with the same person. [...] Edit: when i say 1 week, I mean 1 bracket of 8, not 1 week of real-time

    @chmoAr0ufif0u didn't claim, that he had. He claimed it happened within the same GAC - not the same GA. 1 GAC is 4 GAs of 3 rounds each.
    Post edited by Waqui on
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    When I compare to my todays opponent then we have both 3 more or less full relic teams, both 4 mixed relic and G12 teams but then I have 2 G12 teams and he has 6 G12 teams... So he outmatches me clearly...
    swgoh.gg roster links?

    MIne: https://swgoh.gg/p/973864746/characters/

    Tio Ben: https://swgoh.gg/p/265575518/characters/
    Yeah, that's what I thought. You have too much GP concentrated in those 11 r7 characters and 8 more r4/5. Your opponent has his power spread among more characters and squads for a more balanced roster.

    You made your choices on what to upgrade and now you need to figure out how to work with what you have.

    For future development I would recommend spreading g13/relic power around more evenly. Not every character needs to be r7 or even g13 for a squad to be effective.

    If thats the case then this matchmaking system ist even more stupid then in the past... How should one high GP team win against 2 teams? The basic condition should be how many G12+ teams a player can build, and in second condition consider G13 and relic ammounts...
  • Waqui
    6879 posts Member
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    When I compare to my todays opponent then we have both 3 more or less full relic teams, both 4 mixed relic and G12 teams but then I have 2 G12 teams and he has 6 G12 teams... So he outmatches me clearly...
    swgoh.gg roster links?

    MIne: https://swgoh.gg/p/973864746/characters/

    Tio Ben: https://swgoh.gg/p/265575518/characters/
    Yeah, that's what I thought. You have too much GP concentrated in those 11 r7 characters and 8 more r4/5. Your opponent has his power spread among more characters and squads for a more balanced roster.

    You made your choices on what to upgrade and now you need to figure out how to work with what you have.

    For future development I would recommend spreading g13/relic power around more evenly. Not every character needs to be r7 or even g13 for a squad to be effective.

    If thats the case then this matchmaking system ist even more stupid then in the past...

    Stupid or not, the matches are far more even now than they were previously. Just look at your own matches which are quite even - even the rounds you lost.
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    How should one high GP team win against 2 teams?

    Sometimes, when using a correct counter team you can win even with less gear.
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    The basic condition should be how many G12+ teams a player can build, and in second condition consider G13 and relic ammounts...

    You have significantly more R7 characters than Tio Ben. He has more g13 characters (but lower relic levels in general) and more g12 characters. There are pros and cons to both. Some may argue that you would have the advantage with your R7 characters while you feel you are at a disadvantage. In the end you didn't lose that match because of the matchmaking. It was actually a pretty even match. You simply made some mistakes during the round.


  • Waqui wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    When I compare to my todays opponent then we have both 3 more or less full relic teams, both 4 mixed relic and G12 teams but then I have 2 G12 teams and he has 6 G12 teams... So he outmatches me clearly...
    swgoh.gg roster links?

    MIne: https://swgoh.gg/p/973864746/characters/

    Tio Ben: https://swgoh.gg/p/265575518/characters/
    Yeah, that's what I thought. You have too much GP concentrated in those 11 r7 characters and 8 more r4/5. Your opponent has his power spread among more characters and squads for a more balanced roster.

    You made your choices on what to upgrade and now you need to figure out how to work with what you have.

    For future development I would recommend spreading g13/relic power around more evenly. Not every character needs to be r7 or even g13 for a squad to be effective.

    If thats the case then this matchmaking system ist even more stupid then in the past...

    Stupid or not, the matches are far more even now than they were previously. Just look at your own matches which are quite even - even the rounds you lost.
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    How should one high GP team win against 2 teams?

    Sometimes, when using a correct counter team you can win even with less gear.
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    The basic condition should be how many G12+ teams a player can build, and in second condition consider G13 and relic ammounts...

    You have significantly more R7 characters than Tio Ben. He has more g13 characters (but lower relic levels in general) and more g12 characters. There are pros and cons to both. Some may argue that you would have the advantage with your R7 characters while you feel you are at a disadvantage. In the end you didn't lose that match because of the matchmaking. It was actually a pretty even match. You simply made some mistakes during the round.


    I dont see it like that... Smart playing should not be something that is included into matchmaking, it should be the bonus for you as a player.. If the matchmaking algorithm detects that I can win vs better rosters and therefor puts me vs stronger opponents then this is just unfair!!!

  • Waqui
    6879 posts Member
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    When I compare to my todays opponent then we have both 3 more or less full relic teams, both 4 mixed relic and G12 teams but then I have 2 G12 teams and he has 6 G12 teams... So he outmatches me clearly...
    swgoh.gg roster links?

    MIne: https://swgoh.gg/p/973864746/characters/

    Tio Ben: https://swgoh.gg/p/265575518/characters/
    Yeah, that's what I thought. You have too much GP concentrated in those 11 r7 characters and 8 more r4/5. Your opponent has his power spread among more characters and squads for a more balanced roster.

    You made your choices on what to upgrade and now you need to figure out how to work with what you have.

    For future development I would recommend spreading g13/relic power around more evenly. Not every character needs to be r7 or even g13 for a squad to be effective.

    If thats the case then this matchmaking system ist even more stupid then in the past...

    Stupid or not, the matches are far more even now than they were previously. Just look at your own matches which are quite even - even the rounds you lost.
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    How should one high GP team win against 2 teams?

    Sometimes, when using a correct counter team you can win even with less gear.
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    The basic condition should be how many G12+ teams a player can build, and in second condition consider G13 and relic ammounts...

    You have significantly more R7 characters than Tio Ben. He has more g13 characters (but lower relic levels in general) and more g12 characters. There are pros and cons to both. Some may argue that you would have the advantage with your R7 characters while you feel you are at a disadvantage. In the end you didn't lose that match because of the matchmaking. It was actually a pretty even match. You simply made some mistakes during the round.


    I dont see it like that... Smart playing should not be something that is included into matchmaking, it should be the bonus for you as a player..

    If the matchmaking algorithm detects that I can win vs better rosters and therefor puts me vs stronger opponents then this is just unfair!!!

    Yes, Tio Ben has more zetas and g12 characters than you do but some of those are g12 zetaed Phoenix, Young Han, ewok, G13 Clone Sergeant and such which aren't great for GAC. Your rosters were actually pretty even (quite different but even).

    If you had played just as smart as Tio Ben you would have had a very even round and you could even have taken a win by a few banners. In my book that's an even match.

    However, Tio Ben played smart and you didn't and that's the reason why you lost. Don't blame it on matchmaking. The match itself was very even when considering your rosters. The matchmaking algorithm did its job. Tio Ben did his too. You failed yours. Sorry mate, but that's how I see it.

    (If you want examples on your questionable decisions in that round, I'll provide my view on it)




  • Waqui wrote: »

    Yes, Tio Ben has more zetas and g12 characters than you do but some of those are g12 zetaed Phoenix, Young Han, ewok, G13 Clone Sergeant and such which aren't great for GAC. Your rosters were actually pretty even (quite different but even).

    If you had played just as smart as Tio Ben you would have had a very even round and you could even have taken a win by a few banners. In my book that's an even match.

    However, Tio Ben played smart and you didn't and that's the reason why you lost. Don't blame it on matchmaking. The match itself was very even when considering your rosters. The matchmaking algorithm did its job. Tio Ben did his too. You failed yours. Sorry mate, but that's how I see it.

    (If you want examples on your questionable decisions in that round, I'll provide my view on it)




    Yes and even then, he's just an example... There far worse opponents that I got matched against...

  • Waqui
    6879 posts Member
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »

    Yes, Tio Ben has more zetas and g12 characters than you do but some of those are g12 zetaed Phoenix, Young Han, ewok, G13 Clone Sergeant and such which aren't great for GAC. Your rosters were actually pretty even (quite different but even).

    If you had played just as smart as Tio Ben you would have had a very even round and you could even have taken a win by a few banners. In my book that's an even match.

    However, Tio Ben played smart and you didn't and that's the reason why you lost. Don't blame it on matchmaking. The match itself was very even when considering your rosters. The matchmaking algorithm did its job. Tio Ben did his too. You failed yours. Sorry mate, but that's how I see it.

    (If you want examples on your questionable decisions in that round, I'll provide my view on it)




    Yes and even then, he's just an example... There far worse opponents that I got matched against...

    Still, that match is an example that a match can be even even though one player has significantly more g12 and g13 characters than the other. There's far more to a roster strength than that.
  • Rath_Tarr
    2863 posts Member
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    When I compare to my todays opponent then we have both 3 more or less full relic teams, both 4 mixed relic and G12 teams but then I have 2 G12 teams and he has 6 G12 teams... So he outmatches me clearly...
    swgoh.gg roster links?

    MIne: https://swgoh.gg/p/973864746/characters/

    Tio Ben: https://swgoh.gg/p/265575518/characters/
    Yeah, that's what I thought. You have too much GP concentrated in those 11 r7 characters and 8 more r4/5. Your opponent has his power spread among more characters and squads for a more balanced roster.

    You made your choices on what to upgrade and now you need to figure out how to work with what you have.

    For future development I would recommend spreading g13/relic power around more evenly. Not every character needs to be r7 or even g13 for a squad to be effective.

    If thats the case then this matchmaking system ist even more stupid then in the past... How should one high GP team win against 2 teams? The basic condition should be how many G12+ teams a player can build, and in second condition consider G13 and relic ammounts...
    You've had over a year to adjust to matchmaking by GP and over 6 months to adjust to matchmaking by top {x} GP. None of this is news.

    You even had a golden opportunity to rebalance the top of your roster through g13 and relics.

    At this point you are blaming the matchmaker for your failures.
  • Lost the second time to Tio Ben because I just have not the teams to beat him... Where is this fair?
  • Waqui
    6879 posts Member
    Manolo_GER wrote: »
    Lost the second time to Tio Ben because I just have not the teams to beat him... Where is this fair?

    Considering your GAC history you could have won the first time. What went wrong this time?
Sign In or Register to comment.