Should GL be banned from PvP?

mInEcRaFtEr0617
218 posts Member
edited March 2020
Most of us have already read the abilities of the new GLs. They are extremely overpowered, to the point where they can easily and effectively render even the best squads irrelevant. Nothing will matter anymore except the GLs. No other squad will be useful in high level pvp anymore... well thats my opinion. What are yours?

Mods, take note :)

Should GL be banned from PvP? 22 votes

Ban them from pvp
4%
mInEcRaFtEr0617 1 vote
Don’t ban them from pvp
90%
StarSonPukeCrywalkerWaquiCCyrilSZAPRpaulsen310UltraBlackout242RandomSithLordchpMINIsolo_77WitnessedJarlthecarterologist958R_Val_17WombatJediKnightSebekAserius33DaPowerfulJediIchiraikoulittleMAC77Artumas 20 votes
Place heavy restrictions on them in pvp
4%
Overboss 1 vote

Replies

• Artumas
    324 posts Member
    Don’t ban them from pvp
    If you banned them there'd be literally zero reason to even get them.
    Not only that, but other squads ARE still relevant... in every mode that isn't squad arena, and in squad arena, you're looking at the ability to run literally dozens of potential squads under/with GLs. You can just as easily run Rey under half the teams in the game currently. Kylo's a bit more restrictive, but he still has likely dozens of potential squad setups.

GLs are fairly obviously something you're meant to run on every team. They've only been advertising them as such for what, 4-5 months now? If you haven't been working on them, that's your fault. Those of us that realized this would 100% be the new meta the second they were announced shouldn't be punished simply because people are only now realizing that yes, they ARE the new meta. Revan did the same thing. Malak even more so. Their counters were added AFTER them, for the most part. Padme didn't exist when the Revans were introduced.

Yes, it's a longer grind than previous characters. But that's why I straight ignored GAS and have been working on rey almost exclusively since early January. Because I saw that meta shift coming from a mile away. And no, it's not likely to change. There may be some future/current soft counters, but GLs being the meta is likely to continue for years until we get something even more busted. Because that's how this game has worked since launch.
  • Ban them from pvp
    Artumas wrote: »
    Not only that, but other squads ARE still relevant... in every mode that isn't squad arena, and in squad arena, you're looking at the ability to run literally dozens of potential squads under/with GLs. You can just as easily run Rey under half the teams in the game currently. Kylo's a bit more restrictive, but he still has likely dozens of potential squad setups.

GLs are fairly obviously something you're meant to run on every team. They've only been advertising them as such for what, 4-5 months now? If you haven't been working on them, that's your fault. Those of us that realized this would 100% be the new meta the second they were announced shouldn't be punished simply because people are only now realizing that yes, they ARE the new meta. Revan did the same thing. Malak even more so. Their counters were added AFTER them, for the most part. Padme didn't exist when the Revans were introduced.

Yes, it's a longer grind than previous characters. But that's why I straight ignored GAS and have been working on rey almost exclusively since early January. Because I saw that meta shift coming from a mile away. And no, it's not likely to change. There may be some future/current soft counters, but GLs being the meta is likely to continue for years until we get something even more busted. Because that's how this game has worked since launch.

The problem is that once these GL lead squads become more prominent in arena, the only counters will most likely be other GL added in the future. Once enough GL are added into the game, such as 4-5 new GL, the vast majority of the non-GL squads will no longer be able to dominate the competition, causing players to look towards new possible GL combinations, calling for new counters when a super op team is discovered, etc etc. There would be an endless loop. If not ban then from the arena, then at least nerf them and all future GL so that they are still strong but not incredibly overpowered.

And btw I have been working on GL Kylo, so the “If you haven’t been working on them, that is your fault” jab you made wasn’t really relevant or necessary.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Don’t ban them from pvp

The problem is that once these GL lead squads become more prominent in arena, the only counters will most likely be other GL added in the future.

Then people would just farm those, wouldn't they? How is that any different than farming other counters in the past?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    We should be happy they learned from the last experience of trying to BAN things from our inventories as an option for PvP events, not suggesting they do it again.

There is no reason that any PvP game mode should limit rosters.
  • Don’t ban them from pvp
    Kyno wrote: »
    We should be happy they learned from the last experience of trying to BAN things from our inventories as an option for PvP events, not suggesting they do it again.

Exactly as Kyno said here, one of the loudest complaints I have been around for on the Forums was the time they let us choose who to ban from TW. Banning characters from PvP is the worst idea they could possibly come up with, and is just a crutch for players who do not want to either develop the good team, or develop the counter to the good team. Every team has a non-mirror counter, find it, farm it, gear it.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    officespacelawrenceno.gif
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ban them from pvp

Exactly as Kyno said here, one of the loudest complaints I have been around for on the Forums was the time they let us choose who to ban from TW. Banning characters from PvP is the worst idea they could possibly come up with, and is just a crutch for players who do not want to either develop the good team, or develop the counter to the good team. Every team has a non-mirror counter, find it, farm it, gear it.

Sebek wrote: »
    Obviously no. GL are Like other characters(Revans, GAS or Commander Luke for that matter)
    Waqui wrote: »

The problem is that once these GL lead squads become more prominent in arena, the only counters will most likely be other GL added in the future.

Then people would just farm those, wouldn't they? How is that any different than farming other counters in the past?

I understand all of your concerns completely. I am probably going to start keeping a more open mind to this new feature instead of keeping a closed-mind view on the matter.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Don’t ban them from pvp
    Just jawas