David v. Goliath Grand Arena Match-ups? Algorithm Design Flaw?

Prev1
f82bd
81 posts Member
Hi everyone,

Here's some feedback. I keep getting crazy GAC match-ups. I feel like I'm stuck in some kind of weird gap in the match-up algorithm. Here's the breakdown:

Me v. opponent:

1. 2,498,437 v. 2,951,603 gp
2. 8 v. 10 gear 13 toons
3. 8 v. 29 gear 12 toons
4. full g13 Padme v. full g13 Darth Revan & Malak, and also full g13 JKR arena squad
5. 5* Negotiator v. 7* Negotiator fleet squad
6. 887-344-419 v. 563-928-616

We shouldn't even be in the same division really and just the gp difference alone means that my opponent has effectively four 110,000 gp squads more than me. I hardly have enough squads to fill the 6 squads required both for offense and defense.

I don't see these lopsided match-ups in my other accounts. The biggest difference seems to be that this account is much more efficient. It doesn't have as many unused/unlocked and geared characters.

Thanks!

Replies

• Options
    The reason you are getting this "bad matchup" is you have only high relics. R5, 6, and 7 heavily inflate your gp, pushing your mm gp higher.

On a separate note, it is not like the have extra 100k gp teams, it is more that they have 6 extra 70k teams. MM is based on your top characters, so you and your opponent have a similar amount of GP in your characters that would be expected to be used (2 x Def slots x 5).
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Your opponent is probably preparing to complain about being matched with a player with a top heavy roster like yours.
  • f82bd
    81 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    Your opponent is probably preparing to complain about being matched with a player with a top heavy roster like yours.

;-) I'll ask him
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    f82bd wrote: »

;-) I'll ask him

Please link your GAC history after the results are updated with this match.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Roster design flaw, the algorithm is fine.
  • Options
    so how did your match go?
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • f82bd
    81 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    i got rolled
    so how did your match go?

• f82bd
    81 posts Member
    Options
    16 gear 12 & 13 toons against 39. plus a 450k gp difference. sorry that just isn't a good algo
  • Options
    they are right, your problem is roster design as I pointed out initially. You put all your resources into the very top of your roster, heavily inflating your gp.
  • f82bd
    81 posts Member
    Options
    all of my resources to gear five toons to r7? i only used gear that could only be used for toons like bossk that i wasn't gonna g13 anyway. to suggest that the gear i used to gear 5 toons to r7 is comparable to what my opponent used to gear 20 toons to g12 and also make up for a 450k gp gap doesn't add up
  • f82bd
    81 posts Member
    Options
    they are right, your problem is roster design as I pointed out initially. You put all your resources into the very top of your roster, heavily inflating your gp.

first off, i really appreciate your reply. but i also just realized that you're actually proving my point. you said in your first post that the mm gp of r5, r6, and r7 toons are weighted much more heavily than say many g12 toons. you are saying this is why I'm getting this match up and I'm not disagreeing with you. but I'm saying that doesn't make sense. it's not fair that my 5 r7 toons would be weighted equally against my opponents 2 extra g13 toons, 20 extra g12 toons and 450k more gp. how/why should this be ok? it's not equal in game play. you say that it was a choice in resource allocation but that doesn't add up either b/c the resources for 5 r7 versus r5 toons doesn't come close to what it takes to gear 20 toons to g12. the algo is off.

plus to your 70k squad example about the extra gp not making a difference. it at the very least represents a greater potential for theory crafting and strategy. someone with 450k more gp will have more toons like cls, jtr, bb8, traya, etc, to work with. and all things being equal power in numbers.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    16 gear 12 & 13 toons against 39. plus a 450k gp difference. sorry that just isn't a good algo

You have a significant advantage in relic levels and g11 characters and that 450k GP advantage is outside the matching top-X GP.

Also, you can't really blame matchmaking for having a g11 Mace which you don't use for anything but no Leia, ST Han or CLS, or for having a R5 Bastilla Fallen with undergeared Sith Empire.

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    has nothing to do with roster design or please why don't you two dudes with the cute comments who complain about every post actually provide some supporting arguments to your trolling
    TVF wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    troll
    disagreement != trolling

I don't know, the internet says they are in fact equal. It says it every day.
    The top end of my roster (3.8m GP)
    rv9nepgvl1xt.png

And my credentials
    83gr0sddkz31.png

If you can tell me what I am doing and why then you might actually learn something.
  • f82bd
    81 posts Member
    Options
    has nothing to do with roster design or please why don't you two dudes with the cute comments who complain about every post actually provide some supporting arguments to your trolling
    troll
    disagreement != trolling

rv9nepgvl1xt.png

And my credentials
    83gr0sddkz31.png

If you can tell me what I am doing and why then you might actually learn something.

sorry, it's nice that you spent a little more time with your reply but that only shows the algo works for you. it doesnt show me that it's fair in a matchup like the example i gave.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    troll
    disagreement != trolling

rv9nepgvl1xt.png

And my credentials
    83gr0sddkz31.png

sorry, it's nice that you spent a little more time with your reply but that only shows the algo works for you. it doesnt show me that it's fair in a matchup like the example i gave.

Your top-X GP, division and league matches your opponent's top-X GP, division and league just like everybody else. That's as fair as it gets.

When the effect of leagues kicks in you will be matched with other players of somewhat similar performance as well as matching top-X GP. This will even out that somewhat lacking strategy of yours (judged by your GAC history from the previous GAC). It's all good.
  • f82bd
    81 posts Member
    Options

You have a significant advantage in relic levels and g11 characters and that 450k GP advantage is outside the matching top-X GP.

Also, you can't really blame matchmaking for having a g11 Mace which you don't use for anything but no Leia, ST Han or CLS, or for having a R5 Bastilla Fallen with undergeared Sith Empire.

Thank you for this reply Waqui and for taking the time. I didn't look at g11. So it looks like I have 18 g11 versus my opponents 9 g11. This is the first piece of data that leans in my direction. Besides of course my 5 of 8 toons with r7 versus my opponents 10 r5 toons. I still think the weight of r5, r6, r7 doesn't make sense, if that is really what's going on in the match making. As for the g11 Mace argument, that's really my point, with a 450k gp difference the guy on the other side has effectively many more g11 Maces in his squad. Actually he has many more g12 Maces in his squad. I think most ppl who have replied here have actually implicitly agreed that this isn't a "fair" match-up, and instead pointed to how my squad is setup incorrectly, top heavy. But again this actually reinforces my point that it is not a fair match-up. And I would still argue that 5 r7 toons and 9 more g11 toons does not compare to 20 more g12 toons and 2 more g13 toons, along with 450k gp and a 7* neg. It can't be a misallocation of gear or too top heavy squad because it would take a hell of lot more gear to get what my opponent has than what I have.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Thank you for this reply Waqui and for taking the time. I didn't look at g11. So it looks like I have 18 g11 versus my opponents 9 g11. This is the first piece of data that leans in my direction.

Your high r7 characters have been mentioned several times before.
    Besides of course my 5 of 8 toons with r7 versus my opponents 10 r5 toons.

10 r4 toons. Not r5.
    As for the g11 Mace argument, that's really my point, with a 450k gp difference the guy on the other side has effectively many more g11 Maces in his squad. Actually he has many more g12 Maces in his squad.

Your Mace is included in your relevant (top-X) GP. Your opponent's 450k extra GP is outside the relevant GP. Also, the closest thing to your Mace is your opponent's g12 NI, which he actually uses. I don't see any of his top-X characters that don't serve any purpose. Either he uses them in GA or they were required to unlock characters which he uses in GA.
    I think most ppl who have replied here have actually implicitly agreed that this isn't a "fair" match-up, and instead pointed to how my squad is setup incorrectly, top heavy. But again this actually reinforces my point that it is not a fair match-up.

I interpret the responses differently. I don't see any reinforcement of your point. I don't see much agreement with you.
    And I would still argue that 5 r7 toons and 9 more g11 toons does not compare to 20 more g12 toons and 2 more g13 toons, along with 450k gp and a 7* neg.

You focused heavily on a single team and a couple of single characters, that have weak team members around them. Your opponent took more complete teams to a viable level without taking them all the way to r7. You may have a stronger geared squad arena team, but your opponent geared his team better for GAC and TW. Don't blame your choice to not build towards GAC on matchmaking.
    It can't be a misallocation of gear or too top heavy squad because it would take a hell of lot more gear to get what my opponent has than what I have.

Misallication or just gearing choices that are weak for GAC/TW. Call it whatever you want. It was your choices. Your opponent chose differently and built a roster that is more suitable for GAC.
  • f82bd
    81 posts Member
    Options
    Focused on a single team? No, I'm behind this guy in farming. It's why you obviously don't pair somebody in division 1 against somebody in division 2 or 3. But this pairing happens to be on two ends of division 4. The guy of course has better toons and better farmed toons and and a better "top-X". Btw, it should be top-12. He has a huge amount of gear advantage and gp advantage. My squad is hyper efficient but even if I had not done r5, r6, r7 on 5 toons, I would still not even be close to having what he has. My choices? Give me the gear difference in the 20 g12 toons that he has more than me and then let's talk. Or since I have 8 more g11 toons, just give me the difference in gear for 12 g12 toons, plus his two g13 toons he has more than me. I'll ignore his 7* neg. There is no way the gear I used on one squad r5-7 would even the scale in gearing discrepancy here. No way. You can point out typos and keep saying it was my choice but that doesn't add up.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Focused on a single team? No, I'm behind this guy in farming.

Yes, you focused heavily on your 4xr7 + 1xr6 Padmé team.

Yes, you're behind this guy in farming overall, yet you have matching relevant GP.
    It's why you obviously don't pair somebody in division 1 against somebody in division 2 or 3. But this pairing happens to be on two ends of division 4.

You have matching relevant GP. One player distributed they resources differently than the other.
    The guy of course has better toons and better farmed toons and and a better "top-X".

Yes, his roster is better suited for GA than yours, but you have matching relevant GP.
    Btw, it should be top-12.

It isn't. Adapt or don't. Up to you.
    He has a huge amount of gear advantage and gp advantage.

Not in his top-X characters if you include relics as well.
    My squad is hyper efficient...

I wouldn't describe it as such, but if you say so.....
    but even if I had not done r5, r6, r7 on 5 toons, I would still not even be close to having what he has.

And your GP would probably be too low to be matched with him. But you're right, you don't have what he has. He has more fully viable teams, whereas many of your teams are flawed/incomplete.
    My choices? Give me the gear difference in the 20 g12 toons that he has more than me and then let's talk. Or since I have 8 more g11 toons, just give me the difference in gear for 12 g12 toons, plus his two g13 toons he has more than me. I'll ignore his 7* neg. There is no way the gear I used on one squad r5-7 would even the scale in gearing discrepancy here. No way.

I've mentioned some of those odd choices already. Mace Windu, incomplete/flawed teams etc. Accept it or not - up to you.
    You can point out typos and keep saying it was my choice but that doesn't add up.

The ones I mentioned were your choices and yours alone.

• TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    troll
    disagreement != trolling

rv9nepgvl1xt.png

And my credentials
    83gr0sddkz31.png

Are all your matchups unfair or just this one?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • f82bd
    81 posts Member
    Options
    troll
    disagreement != trolling

rv9nepgvl1xt.png

And my credentials
    83gr0sddkz31.png

I don't have data but with my two main accounts this one seems to have more lopsided matches. I also feel like once I get my butt kicked a few times I get easier opponents in the next round but again just an observation without data. It almost always seems like the first match in a GAC month, I lose to somebody like this example.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Rath's point was that you can still win these matchups you label "unfair" so maybe there's more going on. Strategy and mods, for instance.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    troll
    disagreement != trolling

rv9nepgvl1xt.png

And my credentials
    83gr0sddkz31.png

I don't have data but with my two main accounts this one seems to have more lopsided matches. I also feel like once I get my butt kicked a few times I get easier opponents in the next round but again just an observation without data.

The effect of leagues kicks in in latter GAs.
    It almost always seems like the first match in a GAC month, I lose to somebody like this example.

Matchmaking is based on division and top-X GP in the first GA. Previous performance (leagues) have no influence on MM until later. Let me know if you want some advice for modding or strategy. Seeing your mods and GAC history, there's room for improvement.
  • Options
    You really didnt address the Davis and Golith issue .When I got forced in to Div 1 GA knew it would suck and it does. The GP range is way too big(4.69 ~ infinity) . In reality, at 4.7GP I regularly face 5.2, 5.4, 5.56, etc. That is right. And if you're saying that's what the Alogrithim does, then it is screwed up. Because normally in my 8 player field, they will be 1 or 2 in the 4.7 to 4.9 range then 5 or 6 between 5 and 5.6. This has been happening since I became Div1.
  • Options
    And please dont give me the answer you gave to the first guy, about him being able to do better. It's a fact the higher the GP, the better prepared you can be. Compared to 4.7, 4.9, etc guys up in the 5s to 5.5 have a large number of really good squads, so they can put the 7 best squads they have on defense and still have squads that can give the guys in 4.7s a lot of trouble by taking out their deployed defence squads. Then the 4.7s have few squads in reserve to kick butt on the 5s to 5.5s Defense. Result the 5s win.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    K, how about 3.8m?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    @Vladamera_69 Div. 1 and 2 have the same amount of defensive slots. You already built your teams/roster while in div. 2. In my experience my matches and win rate remained more or less the same when transitioning to 1st. div. Also, in my experience if you fail 2 battles in most cases you're already sewed anyway. Most of that extra 500k GP outside your opponent's top-X characters won't help him win. He will only use a fraction of it in actual battles, and if he needs to use it all, he will most likely be in trouble already and lose.

Don't give up just because your opponent has higher total GP. If you built your roster well (for GA purposes) you will be fine.
  • f82bd
    81 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Guys, thanks again for the convo all of you!! Here is another point of data. I did a 1:1 comparison of this example and through the top 50 toons (10 squads) my opponent has a roughly 36k gp advantage. He has 43 toons with 0.5-2.5k more gp than my comparable toon, while yes I have roughly a 1.3-2.5k gp advantage with 6 toons (my r7s). The comparison is even more lopsided if you take into account in division 4 that you need 12 squads total on offense and defense. Through the top 60 toons (12 squads) my opponent has a roughly 54k gp advantage and 53 toons with a 0.5-2.5k gp advantage down the line. This is the raw data of comparison. And leaves out that again he has many more toons to choose from, many more legendary toons to choose from, he therefore has advantages with theory crafting and strategy, and just pure power in numbers of toons. He also has his 7* neg to my 5*. But ha good luck even getting to his fleet zone!
  • f82bd
    81 posts Member
    Options
    Matchmaking is based on division and top-X GP in the first GA.

To be specific, the first argument is that top-X comparison should possible be top-12 instead, at least in div 4. The second is that it is lopsided even top-X in this example, i.e. roughly 43 weighted toons to 6. The third is that not considering a gross difference in overall gp is also possibly faulty given the difference in potential theory crafting and shear power in numbers.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Guys, thanks again for the convo all of you!! Here is another point of data. I did a 1:1 comparison of this example and through the top 50 toons (10 squads) my opponent has a roughly 36k gp advantage. He has 43 toons with 0.5-2.5k more gp than my comparable toon, while yes I have roughly a 1.3-2.5k gp advantage with 6 toons (my r7s). The comparison is even more lopsided if you take into account in division 4 that you need 12 squads total on offense and defense. Through the top 60 toons (12 squads) my opponent has a roughly 54k gp advantage and 53 toons with a 0.5-2.5k gp advantage down the line. This is the raw data of comparison. And leaves out that again he has many more toons to choose from, many more legendary toons to choose from, he therefore has advantages with theory crafting and strategy, and just pure power in numbers of toons. He also has his 7* neg to my 5*. But ha good luck even getting to his fleet zone!

Did you do the comparison at roster lock or several days later (today)? Are you sure there was a 54k GP difference at roster lock?

Many more legendary toons to choose from? I only see 1, which is CLS. You chose to buy Mace Windu shards instead of Leia and ST Han which are required to unlock CLS. Your choice.

Your analysis still ignores the fact, that you have matching top-X GP and that your opponent built a roster with a top-X far better suited for GA. Yes, your opponent has more strong toons than you. However, your toons at the top have higher relics than your opponent. Yes, your opponent has more viable teams than you, since you chose to build several incomplete teams with one high relic toon, a couple well geared and a couple under geared toons. All this is the result of your farming choices. The question now is: How do you proceed with your farming in the future? Do you adapt and improve or not?