Who's "fault" is the central plot and its progression in the Star Wars saga?

Prev1
Ouchie
1233 posts Member
edited March 2016
Who started it all? No, not George Lucas.

What character is responsible for setting the central plot of the Star Wars movies all into motion? Who's responsible for that initial spark? Or, maybe you think someone's is more to blame for not making a different choice somewhere along the line, thus helping the progression along?

Who's "fault" is the central plot and its progression in the Star Wars saga? 39 votes

Obi-wan Kenobi
2%
Phern 1 vote
Master Sifo-Dyas
2%
slmcmr 1 vote
Sheev Palpatine/Darth Sidious
35%
Black_LightsaberRonoaldoD_MillennialAscansioSnakePardeyGirLThyskMo_lizaV1p3rdyn4styBromJaesyn_BeazBthtubshttr55darth_TaterDarth_Vosahk 14 votes
Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader
5%
SlevinBurgerPlo_Koon 2 votes
Shmi Skywalker
5%
Nerfherder17Phlebotomy_Jones 2 votes
The Tusken Raiders who captured Shmi
5%
MaskariiOuchie 2 votes
Yoda
10%
cosmicturtle333WildGruntCometheloserBradford30080 4 votes
Darth Plagueis
17%
scubazaphodZenSterlingKDeimosNortikka_aikarajuuZachman523 7 votes
Qui-gon Jinn
10%
CPMPLaLiamFlamesFan2313Gravytrain0815 4 votes
Jar-jar Binks
5%
Sticare_Courts_0073Zanhaep 2 votes

Replies

• WildGrunt
    1230 posts Member
    Options
    Yoda
    Yoda, he knew all along that Anakin might be disruptive to the force and just let it happen
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Options
    Interesting! Lots of blame to be had, but if Anakin's mommy hadn't died, he maybe would have been OK!
  • Options
    Jar-jar Binks
    I wanted to vote for "Sand" but that option wasn't available... :cry:
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • slmcmr
    875 posts Member
    Options
    Master Sifo-Dyas
    This is not what i actually think about the question but it is the first time i see his name in the forum. He was an important character but always ignored, so i go with Sifo-Dyas.
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Options
    I wanted to vote for "Sand" but that option wasn't available... :cry:

I love the way you think @Sticare_Courts_0073
  • Options
    i think its palaptine manipulating the republic to his own agenda & then turning Anakin to DS. I love his character very deep and awesome but he is a **** lol
    Lost in the 20th century
  • zerizut
    425 posts Member
    Options
    Padme, obviously. Interesting, that she's not your list. Care to explain?
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Options
    zerizut wrote: »

I only had room for 10! :(

But what did she do???
  • Options
    Jar-jar Binks
    Ouchie wrote: »

I only had room for 10! :(

But what did she do???

She died!
    Nooo-Meme-Darth-Vader-04.jpg
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Options
    We have to blame those incompetent medical droids then
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The midi-chlorians, of course. (Not sarcastic. They were what set all the events in motion.)
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You're missing the Trade Federation from your list. They partnered with Sidious to all the attack on Naboo to happen. If that attack never happens or Qui Gon and Obi-Wan reach the bridge in-time to prevent it from going further, Sidious never becomes Chancellor. He really got a pity vote for that event. For me there's no singular character.

Anakin played a role in what happened of course but with Sidious as Emperor he takes over the galaxy regardless. Dooku was perfectly capable of continuing as his apprentice.

- Trade Federation: Partnering with Sidious allow him to work towards Chancellor
    - Jar Jar Binks: Voted to grant Chancellor Palpatin the status of Emperor
    - Jedi Council for forcing Anakin into a tough spot and not granting him Master status or sending him with Obi-Wan to get Grievous
  • Options
    Well, war is a male endeavor. Men want and start wars, they rejoice in it and get mentally consumed by it. Whenever men are involved in typically male crimes and there is need to make sense of it, either "follow the money" applies or "cherchez la femme". Shmi is female, of course, but mother is a different archetype. As such she couldn't have done much differently. With Padme however there is an awful lot of "could've, should've, would've". Her as a woman interacting with men in a patriarchal culture. The way she did politics, romance, procreation. Imagine she would've acted like a male (straightforward and shallow) in the beginning of episode one. The war would have been over very quickly. Or if she would've dominated the relationship with Anakin. Or would've had an abortion.
  • Options
    Ahsoka.
    She was like Anakins second love/daughter/mother/padawan all at the same time. Then she left the jedi order and saw everything Anakin went through when she found Darth Vader in Rebels.
    I believe Ahsoka pushed him further to the dark side than Padme did. In The Clone Wars, he went from Jedi to something else whenever it came to saving Ahsoka, threatning to kill Ventress while Ahsoka was on trial. She was his best friend, sister, and daughter, and understood him more than Padme did because they were so much alike. Then Padme pushed him over the edge. He had already lost his mother and Ahsoka walked out of his life.

But maybe I dont understand the question
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Options
    Ahsoka.
    She was like Anakins second love/daughter/mother/padawan all at the same time. Then she left the jedi order and saw everything Anakin went through when she found Darth Vader in Rebels.
    I believe Ahsoka pushed him further to the dark side than Padme did. In The Clone Wars, he went from Jedi to something else whenever it came to saving Ahsoka, threatning to kill Ventress while Ahsoka was on trial. She was his best friend, sister, and daughter, and understood him more than Padme did because they were so much alike. Then Padme pushed him over the edge. He had already lost his mother and Ahsoka walked out of his life.

That's really interesting when talking about Anakin's emotional problems that led him the way he did. Would love to see a clip of Ahsoka's reactions to seeing him as Darth Vader. I think one thing to keep in-mind is that the only real relevant part of the whole story line that Darth Vader has is in killing Palpatine in episode 6.

If Anakin would've been killed by Dooku on Grievious's ship, Dooku would've remained Palpatine's apprentice and the plan would've continued. If Anakin tried to kill Palpatine when he first learned he was a Sith Lord when they were 1 on 1, Palpatine would've wrecked Anakin, look what he did to the other Master Jedi. Mace didn't beat him, Palpatine feigned defeat to play on Anakin's emotions, he would've just killed Mace otherwise and could've led the attack on the Jedi temple himself. There's definitely enough Clones to takeout the Jedi. They could've flown in a Star Destroyer and just nuked the temple from space, didn't need Anakin.
  • InternetSwag
    2658 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ahsoka.

That's really interesting when talking about Anakin's emotional problems that led him the way he did. Would love to see a clip of Ahsoka's reactions to seeing him as Darth Vader. I think one thing to keep in-mind is that the only real relevant part of the whole story line that Darth Vader has is in killing Palpatine in episode 6.

If Anakin would've been killed by Dooku on Grievious's ship, Dooku would've remained Palpatine's apprentice and the plan would've continued. If Anakin tried to kill Palpatine when he first learned he was a Sith Lord when they were 1 on 1, Palpatine would've wrecked Anakin, look what he did to the other Master Jedi. Mace didn't beat him, Palpatine feigned defeat to play on Anakin's emotions, he would've just killed Mace otherwise and could've led the attack on the Jedi temple himself. There's definitely enough Clones to takeout the Jedi. They could've flown in a Star Destroyer and just nuked the temple from space, didn't need Anakin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHWy6fiTa9o

This video is <3

Ultimately yeah, no way Ahsoka is actually the 'fault' but I love the Ahsoka-Anakin relationship so much.

The saddest part is that I'm 90% sure Vader is going to kill her :(
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Options
    The saddest part is that I'm 90% sure Vader is going to kill her :(

Honestly, that's why I stopped watching the Clone Wars. I loved her and Anakin so much and I knew there were no more Jedi (beyond Obi wan and Yoda) by Episode 4. I didn't want to get my emotions all manipulated again watching Vader kill her.
  • Options
    Wow, very cool thanks for sharing.
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm not saying that's what happens, because I have not been watching the new show and I didn't finish Clone Wars.

I was just too afraid that might happen
  • Options
    @InternetSwag Have Vader and Ahsoka met-up yet in the show? I'm sure he sensed her presence now.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Other.

The force.
  • Options
    Qui-gon Jinn
    Qui-Gon. If he hadn't chosen to land on Tatooine he never would have discovered Anakin
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Darth Plagueis
    I am guessing you mean if the films were actually made in numerical order as a story line?
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Options
    You're missing the Trade Federation from your list. They partnered with Sidious to all the attack on Naboo to happen.

Sidious manipulated, tricked, and eventually betrayed the Trade Federation. No, they weren't the nicest of people, but they were coaxed into that blockade by Sidious. So they can't be much at fault.

As for those who point to Ahsoka and/or Padme, every relationship he has after the death of his mother makes him crazy afraid. The dreams he had about Padme's death made him desperate to not let her die like his mother. That was the basis for all his behavior against the Jedi code. He wasn't allowed to go help when he knew something was wrong with his mother. When he finally got to her, she died. That's when he started to go really nuts. Anakin just wanted his mommy!

It's interesting no one is saying Obi-wan though. Obi-wan could have taken him to Tatooine when he first started having those dreams to check if his mom was ok. Or maybe of Obi-wan had been a better teacher, Anakin could have handled his feelings better?
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yoda
    Well, war is a male endeavor. Men want and start wars, they rejoice in it and get mentally consumed by it. Whenever men are involved in typically male crimes and there is need to make sense of it, either "follow the money" applies or "cherchez la femme". Shmi is female, of course, but mother is a different archetype. As such she couldn't have done much differently. With Padme however there is an awful lot of "could've, should've, would've". Her as a woman interacting with men in a patriarchal culture. The way she did politics, romance, procreation. Imagine she would've acted like a male (straightforward and shallow) in the beginning of episode one. The war would have been over very quickly. Or if she would've dominated the relationship with Anakin. Or would've had an abortion.

Wow, in a galaxy far, far away the war was the result of the patriarchy.

I thought there was a limit to this nonsense.

Edit: everything in bold is incorrect.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Jaesyn_Beaz
    412 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The obvious answer is Palpatine. He played the long game. His machinations exceeded anything Kaiser Soze ever dreamed of. Let's run them down.

-Manipulated the Trade Federation into the blockade of Naboo with the intent of starting a war which led to...
    -Manipulation of Queen Amidala to call for the vote of no confidence in Valorum leading to him being elected Chancellor in the strength of the sympathy that he himself created when he orchestrated the Trade Federation blockade of how planet, which led to...
    -Framed Sifo-Dias for creating the Clone Army throwing any potential Jedi investigators of his trail which led to...
    -Recruiting a loyal patsy in Count Dooku with the promises of power to command the Separatist coalition which raised capital from the Banking Clan and an army from the Geonosian's Droid factories, which led to...
    -Amassing more and more power by using fear mongering to convince the Senate that keeping the Republic whole required the stripping of individual freedoms and the escalation of a military industrial complex that pushed more and more power into the very hands of the man that was orchestrating that fear, which led to...
    -His being in command of both sides of the Galactic Civil War meaning he literally could not lose unless he was found out early, which led to...
    -Him placing the Jedi in command of troops which simultaneously eroded the Jedi's reputation as peacekeepers along the denizens of the Galaxy and eroded their numbers through battlefield casualties AND keeping the only people that could stop him too busy to focus their investigation on the one truly responsible for the war, which led to...
    -The slow, inexorable recruitment of a naive, ultra powerful Jedi by sowing suspicion, discontent and the splitting of his loyalties which led to...
    -Convincing Anakin that loyalty to the government was more important than his loyalty to the Jedi order which led to...
    -Turning Anakin into a dark Lord of the Sith by fostering the fear of losing his beloved and planting the idea that the dark side of the force held the solution to the death Anakin saw in his visions which led to...
    -The destruction of the Jedi order at the hands of his new patsy, the consolidation of power into the first Galactic Empire under the rule of Palpatine, and the murder of any witnesses (by that same patsy) that could reveal his plans to those that could topple him
    -Destroying Padme's love for Anakin by turning Anakin into a murderer of children and a power hungry despot which led to...
    -The Death of Padme which led to...
    -Creating in himself the only person that Anakin could trust further cementing the loyalty required of a Sith Apprentice, while also creating an ultra powerful weapon and expanding the military industrial complex into a group willing to exterminate entire species by fostering anti non human hatred which led to...
    -A rebellion forming to fight against the tyranny of the Empire...a group that appealed to a boy that came of age on a backwater, boring world and dreamed of action and excitement knowing that he was meant for more than the drab existence of a moisture farmer, which led to...
    -The son of his apprentice meeting and joining with Obi Wan (who introduced him to a deeper meaning to the Galaxy), Han and Chewbacca (who would ultimately become heroes of the Rebellion by helping to destroy the Death Star), and Leia Organa (who would also meet, and ultimately fall in love with, Han Solo), which led to...
    -The destruction of the Empire and the formation of the New Republic, the birth of Ben Solo, and the creation of a new Jedi Academy which led to...
    -The destruction of the new Jedi Academy at the hands of Ben Solo leading to the self imposed exile of Luke, the dissolution of Han and Leia's relationship, the Rise of the First Order, and the creation of a new, more powerful weapon, which led to...
    -The destruction of the New Republic, the death of Han Solo, the Awakening of a new potential Jedi, and the discovery of Luke's location.

Now, while Palpatine wasn't directly responsible for the actions of the inhabitants of the Galaxy following his death the events he orchestrated even prior to his being selected Senator of Naboo led to everything that happened after. In short, he was the single most successful Sith Lord that had ever lived.
    I am Darth Spartacus
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Options
    Well, yes. I agree with you certainly @Jaesyn_Beaz

But if Anakin hadn't gone nutso trying to save Padme, Palpatine would have been apprehended methinks.

Palpatine is bad@$$ though. No denying that.
  • Options

But if Anakin hadn't gone nutso trying to save Padme, Palpatine would have been apprehended methinks.

Sidious may have manipulated him but they didn't have to go along with him, they made a choice to partner with him.

I kind of thought that too but I think Palpatine feigned defeat to Mace because he knew Anakin was coming. If you haven't read the Episode III book you really should. There's so much in the book that got left out of the movie that really pulls the story together even more. I'm actually a fan of the prequels because I read the books, not so much the movies. :smile:
  • Options

Sidious may have manipulated him but they didn't have to go along with him, they made a choice to partner with him.

I kind of thought that too but I think Palpatine feigned defeat to Mace because he knew Anakin was coming. If you haven't read the Episode III book you really should. There's so much in the book that got left out of the movie that really pulls the story together even more. I'm actually a fan of the prequels because I read the books, not so much the movies. :smile:

This