Extremely new player! Starter question help please :)

JesVanGo
7 posts Member
edited April 2020
Hello I’m an extreme newbie (lvl 21) in need of a few suggestions/advice/explanations. (If answers to these questions already exist elsewhere please shoot the link this way!) Thank you!!!

1. Currency
It seems there are different kinds of currencies to be used (cash, purple gems, gray and red bottle caps? etc.). What would be the wisest thing(s) to invest them in?

2. “Farming”
Im pretty sure farming is when you collect pieces of a character eventually adding them to your team? Which characters should I “farm” this early in the game? What is the best method??

3. Multiple tables (and “farming”)
There is a Light, Dark, cantina table? Should you farm light side characters specifically for light table and dark side players for the dark table? I’ve noticed you can combine teams on the cantina table, so should I use my strongest light/dark characters?? And how would you find out what class they belong to?

4. General info
If there’s anything I missed (general info, hints, tips etc.) that a beginner of my level should know please shoot them my way! Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    There are a lot of beginner guides out there if you search for them. They will be far more comprehensive than what I could type out here (and tbh I haven't really kept up with the advice for brand new players).

Credits you will need to level your characters early on (and later but they will eventually be less of a bottleneck).

Crystals are the premium currency and you need to be very careful with them if you are not a spender. They are best spent on energy refreshes.

I'm blanking trying to figure out what you mean by red and gray bottlecaps.

You can click on any character in your inventory (even if not unlocked), and it will tell you their roles and factions at the top under their name.
  • Darth wrote: »
    Dude just run away.....uninstall this game and go play marvel strike force, Raid, dragons legends, or the new Disney game. You’ll thank me later

Hahah will possibly consider this lol
  • Officer of the Villains alliance Discord username: iNinja420 (V1-O)#9708 Recruiting All Levels! Come Join Us on Discord
  • Feel free to add me as an ally. 891-442-336
  • LordGrahck
    344 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    JesVanGo wrote: »
    Hello I’m an extreme newbie (lvl 21) in need of a few suggestions/advice/explanations. (If answers to these questions already exist elsewhere please shoot the link this way!) Thank you!!!

Welcome to the game. Hopefully I'll be able to answer some of these questions and help you out.
    1. Currency
    It seems there are different kinds of currencies to be used (cash, purple gems, gray and red bottle caps? etc.). What would be the wisest thing(s) to invest them in?

As you've noticed, there's different forms of currency. The primary two are "purple gems" and Gold.

Purple gems, or Crystals, are the primary currency for refreshing various energy, as well as getting upgrade pieces for your gear levels, and so forth. As you get higher in level, you'll gain these by doing your daily quests and placing higher in your Squad Arena. You can also purchase a large bundle from the store.

Gold is the other primary currency, used primarily for leveling up your characters, ships, and mods. It can be annoying and frustrating at first to get this, but there are tips you can learn to help this along.

The "gray and red bottle caps", not sure what you mean, but I suppose you're referring to the Ally Points and Cantina Store Currency. Ally Points are gained automatically by winning battles and calling in an ally to help you. They are used for opening Bronzium packs in the store. Cantina Store Currency is gained by winning cantina battles and are used for making purchases in the Cantina Store.

There are actually 13 different forms of currency in the game, but don't let that scare you. The two you have to worry about most are crystals and gold. The others come in time and are easy to get. Here's a link to a page which helps tell you what they are.

https://wiki.swgoh.help/wiki/Resources/Currencies
    2. “Farming”
    Im pretty sure farming is when you collect pieces of a character eventually adding them to your team? Which characters should I “farm” this early in the game? What is the best method??

This is a point of debate on which team is the "best" to farm. There are several different teams you can go for such as Galactic Empire, Jedi, First Order, Classic Rebels, Bounty Hunters, Separatists, Imperial Troopers, and others. The "tried and true" method is farming the Phoenix Team first, which consists of Hera, Ezra, Chopper, Kanan, and Zeb. At level 21, you should already have access to Ezra and Hera in the Cantina nodes and Chopper in the Cantina store. Later on, you'll be able to farm Kanan from the Squad Arena store and Zeb from the Galactic War Store. This teams is a solid early team that can help you get other important characters such as Emperor Palpatine and Thrawn as well as useful in ships for getting The Ghost, Phantom II, and The Chimera. Also, with Ezra and Kanan being Jedi, they can help you get Grand Master Yoda. Indirectly, by using them to unlock Palpatine and Thrawn, you'll get R2D2. An empire team is needed to unlock him, and Phoenix helps you get two of the best characters from the Empire faction.
    3. Multiple tables (and “farming”)
    There is a Light, Dark, cantina table? Should you farm light side characters specifically for light table and dark side players for the dark table? I’ve noticed you can combine teams on the cantina table, so should I use my strongest light/dark characters?? And how would you find out what class they belong to?

First off, you want to farm from all of them each day. Your daily tasks require you to complete a certain amount of Cantina battles, light side battles, and dark side battles each day. Keep unlocking nodes from each of the three, and try to get them to 3 star so you can sim them later on. Later you can go back and sim the nodes you unlocked for gear pieces, character shards, ability materials, and so forth.

Second, at early levels, you don't have much in the way of choices as to who to use for your team. So, using your 5 best is the only option you have until you unlock a better team such as Phoenix, which I mentioned above. Make unlocking Phoenix your goal for the moment.

Third, when it comes to "Class" as you call it, select a character from your inventory and look in the upper left corner of the character screen. Under the name you have the tags. Those tags show you their "class", or "Faction" as it's called. Ezra, for example, has the tags: Light Side, Attacker, Jedi, Pheonix, and Rebel. He can help you with Light Side battles, and fits in teams composed of Jedi, Phoenix, and/or Rebels. You'll learn more about team synergy as you go along and play the game, but the basics start with matching the tags.
    4. General info
    If there’s anything I missed (general info, hints, tips etc.) that a beginner of my level should know please shoot them my way! Thanks for reading!

For now, farm the Phoenix team. Phoenix will help you unlock a solid Galactic Empire team composed of Emperor Palpatine, Thrawn, Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin, and Tie Fighter Pilot. When you unlock more of the stores and nodes, build yourself a Bounty Hunter team. A solid one to use early on is Boba Fett, Greedo, Cad Bane, IG 88, and Zam Wessel. There's a reoccurring event called "Credit Heist" that requires a team of scoundrels to complete. Bounty Hunters also fit the role due to their tags, plus Bounty Hunters are versatile and will eventually help you unlock Chewbacca.

Another tip ... get into a good guild as soon as you can, one with as high Galactic Power as you can find. Also, make allies, high level allies whom you can call upon to help take out some of the harder nodes that you'll come across as you level. Many people here on this forum post their ally code for just such an occasion.

Third ... watch some of the youtube vids from some of the SWGOH content creators. There are several good ones out there with a lot of good info, such as Ahnald, Cubsfanhan, Mobile gamer, The Playbook, and others.

Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions, even if it may seem silly. The only silly question is the one left unasked.

Good luck and have fun,

Lord Grahck
  • LordGrahck wrote: »
    Welcome to the game. Hopefully I'll be able to answer some of these questions and help you out........
    Lord Grahck

Wow this is gold and deserves to be posted/reposed for all new players. Thank you!!!!!
  • Feel free to add me as an ally. 891-442-336

Thanks docsweet! Sure will!