Is the Darth Revan pack worth it?

Prev13
jawa7778
283 posts Member
edited April 2020
Hey everyone. So, I've been saving my crystals to buy the shard pack for Darth Revan. I'm talking about the 2450 pack that gives one guaranteed character and 8 character shards. I'm prepared to buy the pack, but I'm now hesitant and want a second opinion. Here are the reasons I am hesitant:
1. I have low crystal income and it will take me several weeks to get back to a high amount of crystals.
2. I'm not actually sure if the pack is worth the investment for me. I already have a 7 star JK-47 and a 2-star Bastilla Shan(Fallen) I'll link to my roster below.
3. I have other interests. In a recent forum discussion(https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/227893/darth-revan-or-slkr#latest) I had some forum members help me decide between Darth Revan and SLKR. However, I still want SLKR one day. Diverting such a large amount of crystals to Darth Revan will impact my SLKR farming for months.
4. My fleet arena will suffer(Kinda) Seeing as how I'm grinding for SLKR, I'm running a FO team in fleet arena. Almost all the FO characters have ships and are required for SLKR, so I'm killing two birds with one stone. If I stop gearing up my FO characters, my fleet arena will stall. I've already seen big differences since I brought my KRU up to relic 5. It's a complicated decision for me.
Thanks for reading this very long post. Note: I posted a message similar to this a few hours ago but it disappeared after I made an edit to it; so I decided to repost.
Here's my roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/725233668/characters/
EDIT: Thank you to everyone for replying to this post. To clarify and answer the questions of those who asked, this post is NOT about asking about if I should farm Darth Revan or SLKR. After my last post, in which the majority of people said I should get DR, I 95% set myself to get DR. But that's irrelevant. The goal of THIS post is to ask if the Darth Revan pack is a good deal, nothing more, nothing less. Please, if you strongly feel I should pursue SLKR, please let me know, but that is not the goal of this post. Thanks.
4d566oa0zu08.png
Post edited by jawa7778 on

Replies

• LordDirt
    4985 posts Member
    After playing this game for years and chasing the meta and all the other stuff in between, I finally came to the conclusion that I should go for what I like and enjoy. I chose to go after the FO and SLKR.

SLKR is a huuuuuuge grind so if he is what you want then go for it but know doing so will set you way back.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    I am in no way experienced, but from the looks of it you might actually be closer to SLKR. The pack might be worth it, and Darth Revan is definitely an easier grind, but to maximize his use you might want Malak as well. I would say that from where you are now, SLKR is an easier get than Malak, and he’ll probably get you a lot more use. But as someone above stated, ultimately go for what you want to go for.
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    ZAP wrote: »
    jawa7778 wrote: »
    Hey everyone. So, I've been saving my crystals to buy the shard pack for Darth Revan. I'm talking about the 2450 pack that gives one guaranteed character and 8 character shards. I'm prepared to buy the pack, but I'm now hesitant and want a second opinion. Here are the reasons I am hesitant:
    1. I have low crystal income and it will take me several weeks to get back to a high amount of crystals.
    2. I'm not actually sure if the pack is worth the investment. I'll link to my roster below.
    3. I have other interests. In a recent forum discussion(https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/227893/darth-revan-or-slkr#latest) I had some forum members help me decide between Darth Revan and SLKR. However, I still want SLKR one day. Diverting such a large amount of crystals to Darth Revan will impact my SLKR farming for months.
    4. My fleet arena will suffer(Kinda) Seeing as how I'm grinding for SLKR, I'm running a FO team in fleet arena. Almost all the FO characters have ships and are required for SLKR, so I'm killing two birds with one stone. If I stop gearing up my FO characters, my fleet arena will stall. I've already seen big differences since I brought my KRU up to relic 5. It's a complicated decision for me.
    Thanks for reading this very long post. Note: I posted a message similar to this a few hours ago but it disappeared after I made an edit to it; so I decided to repost.

The first question I have is, why make another thread that’s basically the same as your first thread? Did you not like the answers you got the first time?

My answer is the same as it was in your other thread. You will have neither DR or SLK in the next 2 months, but you could have a maxed workable DR team much faster than you could get SLK and still be working on gear for SLK in the meantime.

The answer to your first question is right at the end of his post.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    I wouldn’t if I were you, op.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    ImaSmakya wrote: »
    2. I'm not actually sure if the pack is worth the investment. I'll link to my roster below.

The first question I have is, why make another thread that’s basically the same as your first thread? Did you not like the answers you got the first time?

My answer is the same as it was in your other thread. You will have neither DR or SLK in the next 2 months, but you could have a maxed workable DR team much faster than you could get SLK and still be working on gear for SLK in the meantime.

The end of his post talks about a post he made hours ago, but he made a post days ago about the same thing.

I'm old, I don't remember what I had for breakfast let alone what was posted days ago ;)
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Well... if you want to last in pvp.... you arent looking at darth revan vs gl kylo.... you need both
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

The end of his post talks about a post he made hours ago, but he made a post days ago about the same thing.

I'm old, I don't remember what I had for breakfast let alone what was posted days ago ;)

I’m probably older than you, so keep up or get out of the way.

I, for one, can’t wait to hear all the reasons why itsnotamoon is wrong
  • MasterSeedy
    5035 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    On a low-crystal income, it is nearly always better to use energy refreshes and node refreshes to get toons.

BUT whether it is in fact better for you is always dependent on how fast you're trying to get there and what you're currently spending.

Math/reasoning:
    If you're doing 3x node refresh per day already, then that last refresh is 100 crystals, + the 50 crystals for your energy refresh (times the fraction of the energy required over 120 energy). This means you're spending 125-142 energy per your last 5 attempts. At 30-33% drop rate, you're expecting about 1.6 - 1.66 shards per day. (This is average of course, it will vary quite a bit)

The very best possibility here is refreshing a 12 energy hard node, so a cost of 125 crystals and a 33% drop rate. Over time, you'll average 75 crystals per character shard. This is very slightly better than buying shards from the store at 80 crystals a pop.

Of course, none of the DR toons are on a 12 energy node. At the higher end and the worse drop rate, you are spending 142/1.6 = 88 & 1/3rd crystals per shard, which is worse than buying shards from the store.

So at some point, buying shards from the store becomes MORE economical, even though 80 crystals per shard seems an outrageous price. As long as you either don't have the crystals per day to keep up 3-4 node refreshes or you aren't needing the toon any faster than 2-3 node refreshes per day will get it done, then you should never buy shard directly for crystals in the store.

The same logic applies with packs. You can calculate out an average # of shards dropped, including the average number that will be wasted by getting shards of a toon that's already 7 stars.

Take the number of valuable shards per purchase, divide by the number of crystals in the price of the pack, and you find the cost per shard.

Once you know that number, if it's greater than 80, you should never buy the pack b/c even if you wanted to buy shards it's more cost effective to buy them directly from shipments and pick the exact character you want to get them.

If it's less than 80 (which it might be if you don't have any of the needed toons finished yet, so the probability of wasted shards is 0), then you simply compare it to the cost of doing node refreshes and buying energy.

For your second node refresh the crystal cost if 50. An energy refresh is also 50. Assuming you need 100 energy on that node, the effective total cost for your next 5 attempts is 91.3333333 etc.

91.3etc/1.6 = 57.

This all tells us that unless you're maintaining a rate of 3 refreshes a day OR the cost per effective shard (which means after taking into account the chance of wasted shards in a toon you already have at 7*) in the pack is below 57, THEN you should never buy the pack.

Since you have multiple toons to farm up at the same time (and because you said you don't have much crystal income), I strongly suspect you can't maintain 3 node refreshes per day, and even if you could it would be more cost effective to do 1 refresh per day of 3 different nodes to get all your toons up to 7*.

So ask yourself - are you going to be refreshing any nodes 3x per day?

If not, it's extremely unlikely that the pack is cost effective for you.

• Let's see, the drop rate of shards is around 33% that means basically every 3 sim = 1 shard(some times you will get 5 out of 5 and sometimes u will get 0 shards that's how it works with RNG) let says u gonna refresh 2 times a day that is 75 crystal, 75 that means u get 64 refreshes which = to a minimum of 106 shards, (now yes I'm not counting energy because you get that for free from logging in to the game)

That's one at a time,
    3 refreshes for that price
    If they're farmed together.
  • ZAP wrote: »
    Please bet with it’s a moon, would love to take your money.

That's not how bets work...
    They'd have to makes bets with you,
    Not with each other.
  • Just so you know the 4 toons that I needed to get to 7*cost me about $500.
    Seems like buying a nicer newer device to play the game on would be a better investment..
    But I'm FTP, and you know, you can't just buy that.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    After playing this game for years and chasing the meta and all the other stuff in between, I finally came to the conclusion that I should go for what I like and enjoy. I chose to go after the FO and SLKR.

SLKR is a huuuuuuge grind so if he is what you want then go for it but know doing so will set you way back.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you personally have SLKR?
  • ZAP wrote: »

Please see my edit. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »

Hey don't mess with the name its:
    Its_not_a_moon, not itsnotamoon

No disrespect, just too hard to type all that on phone lol
    Gifafi wrote: »

Please bet with it’s a moon, would love to take your money.

?
    Ok, it’s on, the last 2 posts confirm it for me.

I’m willing to make a small wager, nothing too big, just for bragging rights, that the pack in question has a greater value than grinding shards with refreshes. We can come to terms with how many refreshes and how long we will do this.

Any takers, please please let Giffy take the bet.

Oh.

Idk, what exactly is the pack? I don’t think I can see it as I have all these chars (cough. 😎😉)
This discussion has been closed.