Mod sandbagging?

Hey I was looking at my GA opponent before the setup phase was done and they have a bunch of toons with no mods but after the setup phase those same toons have all mods equipped now. Am I missing something or is this a form of cheating.

Replies

• UdalCuain
    5011 posts Member
    You need to check the toons on the battlefield with a long press of the character.

Roster view is current, and they could have been moving mods round for any number of reasons.
  • Yeah that’s why I was asking cause I wasn’t sure I checked out the roster before hand and then checked his squads on the battlefield and the mods are different I just didn’t know if my pre-scouting was showing before or after the roster lock
  • There's really no point to mod sandbagging once a GAC starts. The only thing that overall GP affects is which division you are placed in and then that's locked for the rest of the GAC. Matchmaking only looks at the top X number of characters, depending on how many teams you have to place on defense. So there's zero point or benefit to de-modding bottom half of the roster characters which aren't used by you in GAC....and taking mods of characters you actually use would result in you have to use those characters without any mods during your GAC round. That kind of thing worked in the old original GA format but has no benefit these days.
  • Your opponent's mods would've been locked in before you even knew who your opponent was. I'm not 100% sure on what the cutoff time is, but I believe it's based on swgoh.gg instead of the in-game join period. This is because I've made changes to my characters (mods/gear upgrades) up to a couple of hours left during the 24-hr join period, but those changes were not reflected during the defense phase. Looking at your opponent's roster is a 100% up-to-date view of what they have, but that will not be in-sync with what they have during the 3 rounds up to the next join period. During each join period, your available roster will update for the next 3 rounds. This allows for you to fight opponents who have already succeeded the gp limit for your particular division, and they will move up to the next division after the season ends.

A method of sandbagging with mods could be that they removed all of their mods off every character, took a major massive loss during the first 3 rounds given that they will have no mods equipped, then re-equip all of their mods before the next 3 rounds. This could let people play in divisions below their gp level. There might be a limit that prevents this, but I'm not familiar with it. Correct me if that is the case.
  • Kk thanks for the responses I didn’t want to jump to conclusions just some clarity that you guys have provided.
  • Your opponent's mods would've been locked in before you even knew who your opponent was. I'm not 100% sure on what the cutoff time is, but I believe it's based on swgoh.gg instead of the in-game join period. This is because I've made changes to my characters (mods/gear upgrades) up to a couple of hours left during the 24-hr join period, but those changes were not reflected during the defense phase. Looking at your opponent's roster is a 100% up-to-date view of what they have, but that will not be in-sync with what they have during the 3 rounds up to the next join period. During each join period, your available roster will update for the next 3 rounds. This allows for you to fight opponents who have already succeeded the gp limit for your particular division, and they will move up to the next division after the season ends.

A method of sandbagging with mods could be that they removed all of their mods off every character, took a major massive loss during the first 3 rounds given that they will have no mods equipped, then re-equip all of their mods before the next 3 rounds. This could let people play in divisions below their gp level. There might be a limit that prevents this, but I'm not familiar with it. Correct me if that is the case.

Lord... Who would do that? That's a mental illness at that point
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    I had some GAC encounters where my opponent did this (remove mods after GAC lock).

But it is not always clear if they do this deliberately (to fool gac opponents) or because they have limited sets of good mods and thus need to shift them around to accomplish raids, tb and other events.

In any case, it does not matter much. The only thing I can think of where this might have minimal impact is with speed critical teams like DR/BsF. There was a time I might want to avoid using my DR team on defense, if my opponent DR/BsF is faster than mine. And if I cannot see that before the match start, it might be a problem. But again, this is not that relevant anymore since we have other teams beating DR consistently nowadays.