Grievous team substitutes

When building a Grievous team, what characters would be a good substitute for B1 Battle Droid? I am having much difficulty obtaining him since he is only obtainable in Fleet Battles 5-B Hard, so until I have a good enough fleet to obtain him I will need to settle for what is within my reach. Keep in mind that I have every member of a Grievous team except for this character (Grievous, B2 Super Battle Droid, Magna Guard, and Droideka). All the poll options are the characters that I have already or characters that I could obtain in the near future.

Thanks! :)

Grievous team substitutes 25 votes

HK-47
4%
Shazudini 1 vote
IG-88
12%
yuuzhanronmellamorobertoMallak 3 votes
Count Dooku
8%
Nephilympate 2 votes
T3-M4
16%
jawa7778Puddis95DrageeroKemosabe73 4 votes
Nute Gunray
52%
CombatCommander7Nova44MoorebidDaPowerfulJediJohnLove11EffAPublicEyeDAkenno20cmulcahyOverbossLeage150CJMSpikedynastarAdmiral_Piett 13 votes
L3-37
4%
Lethoiun 1 vote
Other (please specify in comments)
4%
CaptainFizz 1 vote

Replies

• My only problem with T3-M4 as a part of my Grievous team is that his protection seems to be glitched (it is stuck at 502) and can't be increased no matter what I try. I maxed out his protection-providing mods in the hopes of his protection increasing, but it did not increase by a single point. I have tried him on my team, but with such low protection he is a sitting duck in the battlefield and isn't very helpful.

Not sure if it is a glitch or not.
  • My only problem with T3-M4 as a part of my Grievous team is that his protection seems to be glitched (it is stuck at 502) and can't be increased no matter what I try. I maxed out his protection-providing mods in the hopes of his protection increasing, but it did not increase by a single point. I have tried him on my team, but with such low protection he is a sitting duck in the battlefield and isn't very helpful.

What gear level is he? If he's below gear 7 he has no natural protection, so percentage based protection mods will have no effect. Only mods with flat protection values found on mod secondary stats will add to his protection.
  • B1 is a very important character that is hard to sub out due to the massive utility he provides. The only other character that might be possible is Wat Tambor but I assume you do not have him if you don’t have B1. So I’d say Nute for the Extortion but I’m no expert.
  • UdalCuain wrote: »
    My only problem with T3-M4 as a part of my Grievous team is that his protection seems to be glitched (it is stuck at 502) and can't be increased no matter what I try. I maxed out his protection-providing mods in the hopes of his protection increasing, but it did not increase by a single point. I have tried him on my team, but with such low protection he is a sitting duck in the battlefield and isn't very helpful.

What gear level is he? If he's below gear 7 he has no natural protection, so percentage based protection mods will have no effect. Only mods with flat protection values found on mod secondary stats will add to his protection.
    He is gear level 6 at the moment, so you are probably correct.
    Does this apply to all characters below gear level 7? I am not sure how I missed this in the past...
  • UdalCuain wrote: »
    My only problem with T3-M4 as a part of my Grievous team is that his protection seems to be glitched (it is stuck at 502) and can't be increased no matter what I try. I maxed out his protection-providing mods in the hopes of his protection increasing, but it did not increase by a single point. I have tried him on my team, but with such low protection he is a sitting duck in the battlefield and isn't very helpful.

He is gear level 6 at the moment, so you are probably correct.
    Does this apply to all characters below gear level 7? I am not sure how I missed this in the past...

They don't gain protection naturally until gear 7. Once he's at that level you'll notice percentage protection primaries will begin to affect his protection.
  • B1 is a very important character that is hard to sub out due to the massive utility he provides. The only other character that might be possible is Wat Tambor but I assume you do not have him if you don’t have B1. So I’d say Nute for the Extortion but I’m no expert.

I am not in a position where I am able to get Wat Tambor within the foreseeable future. I will try to aim for BB-8 though as soon as I hit level 85 (I am level 81 right now). Thanks for the advice!
  • IG-88
    IG applies target lock and while he's alive, enemies with target lock won't gain health or protection.

Nute enhances the offensive capabilities of the whole team and dies twice, so that's an extra GG attack. He also won't take a hit every time GG gets a turn.

L3 can help with healing, which you might need since that's part of B1's job.

T3 with zeta(s) can make a big difference offensively with CD boost among other things.

So, several good options. BB8 is another, and is useful in that he'll ensure your team goes first. Ultimately it depends on the team's purpose and what their gear/relic levels are. With a well-developed GG with massive health, the droids will take big damage whenever he takes a turn, so they can die quickly and that's not good for banners. If you're looking at TW or raids, L3 may be able to keep them going longer.
  • IG applies target lock and while he's alive, enemies with target lock won't gain health or protection.

Nute enhances the offensive capabilities of the whole team and dies twice, so that's an extra GG attack. He also won't take a hit every time GG gets a turn.

L3 can help with healing, which you might need since that's part of B1's job.

T3 with zeta(s) can make a big difference offensively with CD boost among other things.

So, several good options. BB8 is another, and is useful in that he'll ensure your team goes first. Ultimately it depends on the team's purpose and what their gear/relic levels are. With a well-developed GG with massive health, the droids will take big damage whenever he takes a turn, so they can die quickly and that's not good for banners. If you're looking at TW or raids, L3 may be able to keep them going longer.

Thanks for the advice!

• One thing to consider with T3, is that while he brings incredible offensive boosts to a Grievous team, he's also light side, and takes double the % based damage whenever Grievous takes a turn. So with a decently modded r7 GG, it'll be hard to keep T3 alive for very long unless T3 is also r7 huge HP and Protection boosts. And T3's unique skills go out of play the moment he dies, like uniques usually do. T3 + GG could still work very well for certain battles, but certainly not as a vanilla squad setup. Nute is probably the best fit of the ones mentioned. I've also had tons of fun using r5 Jango with my r7 GG after Jango got the Separatist tag.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    I also run Nute with my GAC gg team. It really shuts down the Nightsister's counter.

Another interesting GG line-up I just met in my GAC is with a squishy IG88 (like g7 or 8). I can't think of any other purpose than to trigger GG's unique.

• Lethoiun
    165 posts Member
    L3-37
    L3 is quite tanky with a good heal. Her MK ablities give her 100% def at 3 and 100 counter chance.

She gains 15% turn meter whenever a droid ally is damaged.

Her zeta has a equalization revive with a killed droid, I dont have a droid team so never tried that.
  • One thing to consider with T3, is that while he brings incredible offensive boosts to a Grievous team, he's also light side, and takes double the % based damage whenever Grievous takes a turn. So with a decently modded r7 GG, it'll be hard to keep T3 alive for very long unless T3 is also r7 huge HP and Protection boosts. And T3's unique skills go out of play the moment he dies, like uniques usually do. T3 + GG could still work very well for certain battles, but certainly not as a vanilla squad setup. Nute is probably the best fit of the ones mentioned. I've also had tons of fun using r5 Jango with my r7 GG after Jango got the Separatist tag.

Yeah, I have been having trouble with T3 and the amount of damage he takes per turn. I keep having to use his healing ability on himself instead of on magna guard like he was intended for. I completely understand what you are saying here, and I will probably refrain from using T3 unless absolutely necessary.

I will definitely start gearing up my Nute, and your suggestion to use r5 Jango looks like a very interesting idea that I will definitely try out.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • Antario wrote: »
    I also run Nute with my GAC gg team. It really shuts down the Nightsister's counter.

Another interesting GG line-up I just met in my GAC is with a squishy IG88 (like g7 or 8). I can't think of any other purpose than to trigger GG's unique.

I will definitely try out both Nute and IG-88 like you suggested!

Thanks for the advice :)
  • Lethoiun wrote: »
    L3 is quite tanky with a good heal. Her MK ablities give her 100% def at 3 and 100 counter chance.

She gains 15% turn meter whenever a droid ally is damaged.

Her zeta has a equalization revive with a killed droid, I dont have a droid team so never tried that.

Thanks for the advice! Once I am able to zeta her, I will definitely try to substitute her in! :)
  • Jack1210
    771 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Ideally you pick a droid that you will use later on another team. HK if you plan for Drevan, T3 for JKR, Dooku/Nute if you're going for Padme (and on that note, nute lead will take this team to 7* Padme no problem), IG-88 if you're going for Chewie/****. I've wanted to get L3 and the scoundrels up but they just never make the list since they don't lead to a legendary (or better) toon.
    Also, worth noting (not trying to discourage) GG is kinda bad until relics. Where are you at shard-wise with him?