Marquees

Now im not 1 to complain about new cool toons. Im excited about mando amd team. But i feel the marquee event type is dated. When we got DN 3 star or 4 if you bought the 9.99 pack he fit in arena and other now dated game modes right off. Same with nest and several other toons. With the release of GL toons and GaS revans padme etc and where g13 is gated behind stars and relics are gated behind g13. These new 3 star toons have no place in TW,TB,GA or arena. Not sure if its been discussed before or where but i feel the event needs to be brought to current game state. But i am pleased with the 3 new toons and their kits, just wish i had a good place to use them before 3 mknths from now.

Replies

• I do hate typing on this phone lol. Please excuse the typos.
  • I assume the rationale is that if we are given the toons at higher star levels, we will spend less to upgrade them. Personally I'm happy to have some toons sitting at 50 shards, and if it ever looks like I need them, then I've only got 280 shards to farm.

But yeah. Priority is profit, so giving us free stuff doesn't really help there.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    What exactly is your proposal to bring the events to "current game state"? Give every character at 7* for free immediately?
  • No not 7 star immediatly. But i do wish to use them before 7 months from now when more overpowered toons make them not useful at all. At this point a marquee feels just like a GP bloater
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I tend to think of it as, they are just giving away the toon and the shard you get from the event are just a bonus for being a current player.
  • TVF
    36585 posts Member
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    One thing I like about MSF is that a 4-5 star toon is useful if you gear them, where here, it’s all about the whole package.

Obviously not a marquee, but my 4* G11 Wat has been supremely useful.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    One thing I like about MSF is that a 4-5 star toon is useful if you gear them, where here, it’s all about the whole package.

And here you predictably post about maybe one of the only toons that is very useful not at 7*.
  • TVF
    36585 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

And here you predictably post about maybe one of the only toons that is very useful not at 7*.

Are you done following me around yet?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    edited May 2020

Which happened because everyone was complaining a new marquee toon was meta at 3 stars (Bastila Shan lead) And that 7* is useless outside of raids and needs to be more useful

Which led to CG requiring 7* rarity for g12 - I would blame the community for this one
  • Jakdnels
    787 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »

Which happened because everyone was complaining a new marquee toon was meta at 3 stars (Bastila Shan lead) And that 7* is useless outside of raids and needs to be more useful

Which led to CG requiring 7* rarity for g12 - I would blame the community for this one

I don't give the community anywhere near that much influence on the decisions CG makes.
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member

Not to be that guy, cuz we already have one one of those, but “everyone”?
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    clamoring for low star toons who cost 20 if you want the next star now always seemed weird to me. I mean, we went nuts when they released all those marquees bc of the $+waiting, but then people wanted them, all bc they didn't want to save GET or build up prereqs, I guess? odd
    Post edited by Gifafi on
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Jakdnels
    787 posts Member
    Now that g13 is a thing, I would like it if characters could go to g12 before 7*. It would make them a bit more useful for GAC and TW, even if they don't qualify for TBs. Hux didn't break anything as far as I know...
  • TVF wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Are you done following me around yet?

Nope
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Bottom line here is that marquees are old. $250-300 on average to 7* or wait three months so you start farming on a hard node at 5 attempts per day is old. As I mentioned MSF, who has its own share of problems, they release toons through a variety of different methods, including updating their stores(something CG absolutely hates to do). Why haven’t we seen more galactic chases or anything truly new? Why can’t the stores get a new toon? Would that really hurt so bad to throw the players a bone?

Because it requires effort. Effort and SWGOH are not on speaking terms at the moment.

does MSF have something like the shard shop?

I would say that yes, going back on their word and adding toons to stores where they told players it was "safe to spend" currency is bad for the player base.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    Bottom line here is that marquees are old. $250-300 on average to 7* or wait three months so you start farming on a hard node at 5 attempts per day is old. As I mentioned MSF, who has its own share of problems, they release toons through a variety of different methods, including updating their stores(something CG absolutely hates to do). Why haven’t we seen more galactic chases or anything truly new? Why can’t the stores get a new toon? Would that really hurt so bad to throw the players a bone?

Because it requires effort. Effort and SWGOH are not on speaking terms at the moment.

I would say that yes, going back on their word and adding toons to stores where they told players it was "safe to spend" currency is bad for the player base.

yeah they have a shop for arena creds, war creds, gold, etc, similar to here, but as you noted CG said no new toons in those stores (was it all stores besides GET? i don't remember)
  • littleMAC77
    2397 posts Member

Simply telling the players with enough time in advance would solve the “safe to spend” problem. Besides, CG doesn’t care what we think, otherwise we wouldnt have to relic Rose...you know...after they told us that not all requirements would need relics....so they can just do an “internal review” and change it. Simple.

You really think Rose, one of the named characters, was not going to require relics? Thats like saying they won't require Lando for GL Luke lol
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Simply telling the players with enough time in advance would solve the “safe to spend” problem. Besides, CG doesn’t care what we think, otherwise we wouldnt have to relic Rose...you know...after they told us that not all requirements would need relics....so they can just do an “internal review” and change it. Simple.

do they have a shard shop? still didn't get an answer here.

the shard shop supplies us with gear, so its not as simple as saying stop spending we are going to change things. once they change the dynamic players will have to go back to choosing between shards and gear.

funny you say they dont care what we think, since they locked the stores and expanded what was in the shard shop to help with the gear crunch, which helped relieve the crunch at that time. but as always dont let facts get in the way of a good jab at someone you have never met before.

also, when they say "subject to change", that means things may change. its ok its not like it was in red bold letters or anything
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

the shard shop supplies us with gear, so its not as simple as saying stop spending we are going to change things. once they change the dynamic players will have to go back to choosing between shards and gear.

funny you say they dont care what we think, since they locked the stores and expanded what was in the shard shop to help with the gear crunch, which helped relieve the crunch at that time. but as always dont let facts get in the way of a good jab at someone you have never met before.

also, when they say "subject to change", that means things may change. its ok its not like it was in red bold letters or anything

Excess shards go to Build up to special orbs that open to get (hopefully) different shards.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    ZAP wrote: »

I highly doubt complaining led CG to do that. Far more likely it sells more packs doing it that way.
    I vividly remember the forums and reddit complaining that a 3 star toon was beating the meta (EP) and that CG really needs to do something to change this because 7 star toons have no use outside the raids that nobody cared about (i believe sith raid wasn't out yet)

It just so happens this request was also one that benefits CG the most which is why they listened
  • Eastryder
    34 posts Member
    I get what your saying. Dont understand the smart a$$ remarks though from so many. I think the point is, maybe let the toon go to 4* option to buy 19.99 pack to make 5*......or maybe just don't taken3 months before u can farm. Put some in cantina after 1 month or 1 in ls/ds battles immediately. Something to change it up a bit. Cause 3 month wait paywall is absurd for any game
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

You really think Rose, one of the named characters, was not going to require relics? Thats like saying they won't require Lando for GL Luke lol

Ok, I can buy that. Just replace Rose's name with Res Pilot, Res Trooper, Poe...or any of the other garbage toon that no one would relic if it wasnt a requirement.

Yes, they do have a shard shop, but gear isn't the topic here, shards are.

It comes down to choice. Adding a character to any of the shops, a player would have to choose, either you want the gear or you want the character.....its the very same choice that is made everyday in Cantina...you want signal data or do you want character shards? Do you want to waste gear on chasing the GL's, or ignore them and farm and gear what you want. There is no difference. Another example is GET...you want GG or GK ship shards or gear? The other stores should be held to the same standard.

Im not jabbing at anyone, but at CG as a whole, but its how I feel. In my opinion, CG does not care about its players, as evidenced by their own actions.
    Tell me, was that "internal review" changing the "you wont need all relics" aimed at the player base or the bottom line. I personally think that reversing course on that did more harm than good.
    Was adding "tickets" to the GL events aimed at the player base or the bottom line.
    Is continuing down the same ol marquee $250-300 per character or wait 3 months to be farmable, and another 2 months to finally be able to use them, aimed at the player base?
    Was creating a thread on this forum asking what tools guild officers want to have and then totally ignoring that thread for 4 months only to say "we'll put a meeting on the books" aimed at the players?
    The list goes on and on. Thats why I say they do not care, its ALL about the money and nothing else.

Granted, its a business, I totally understand that they want to make money, and according to the data, they have made a lot, but part of running a business is creating good will towards the customer and CG is severely lacking in that department.

so someone else gave a little more detail and it seems they use a system that offers a chance at more shards using excess shards.

The dev team decided a while ago to freeze the stores and use excess shards for gear. its a valid system that offers a progression as you continue to play each game mode (shards, then shards and some gear, then all gear). changing the situation with the stores changes the whole dynamic that has been established.

yes I understand, dont let facts get in the way of an opinion then. thats also fine.

I would assume that since they are running a business that every decision has both elements involved. here is what i suspect though, they wanted to keep perspective on matchmaking and you can't do that with only a single toon, so the requirement give them a built in system that will naturally start to create a gap between players that have a GL and those that dont. but this was just a thought I had, no real evidence or calculations involved.

no matter what you think, saying they dont care, is just 100% wrong. but as always, dont let facts get in the way of trying to demean someone whom you have never met.

i'm sorry did i miss the timeline they laid out in the thread of when it would be reviewed? did anything else happen during that time that may have caused something like that to get off track or lost in the shuffle.....

you can't please everyone, even when they give stuff away.