So ... I lose? One more reason why GA sucks

Replies

• Zippy_3000
    110 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Can I ask how you would feel if someone set one team on defense against you, and then saved all their best toons for offense and won because you couldn't attack, does that sounds good?

How did I stop him from attacking? He should have had a ton of toons left to attack with. He just didn't bother either deploying a defense, or performing attacks. Yup! That's the spirit of competition right there! Do nothing, win.

Even if he just made ONE or multiple failed attacks, that would make him getting the win a bit more credible ... Instead he did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from beginning to end ...and he won. and even though I did participate (not to mention clear all zones) I lose.

I'm not expecting to be given the win because i made a mistake -- but i think considering the fact that he literally did nothing at all ... and I at least defeated all of his teams ... does that not make sense to you Kyno? Is it possible for you to look at this objectively at all?

• Zippy_3000
    110 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    I agree, you both should have been given a loss.

I would actually accept this idea more easily.

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    ZAP wrote: »
    Its a good thing this mode isn't about giving out participation trophies then

In this outlier case it sounds like they give out non-participation trophies.

It does seem odd

But did the opponent actually benefit? I thought they changed it so that people who do not participate in a round get no rewards?

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/211725/grand-arena-championship-update

You can see the points in the screenshot. The OP lost the match. Maybe the opponent didn’t get the rewards for whatever place they ended up in after the round, but it appears OP got moved down in the round with this loss.

It seems to me that auto set teams should be consistent to avoid this situation. Why have auto set only for no teams set and not partial teams set?

Just seems weird in this case.
    Simplicity of implementation and testing.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Zippy_3000 wrote: »
    Can I ask how you would feel if someone set one team on defense against you, and then saved all their best toons for offense and won because you couldn't attack, does that sounds good?

How did I stop him from attacking? He should have had a ton of toons left to attack with. He just didn't bother either deploying a defense, or performing attacks. Yup! That's the spirit of competition right there! Do nothing, win.

Even if he just made ONE or multiple failed attacks, that would make him getting the win a bit more credible ... Instead he did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from beginning to end ...and he won. and even though I did participate (not to mention clear all zones) I lose.

I'm not expecting to be given the win because i made a mistake -- but i think considering the fact that he literally did nothing at all ... and I at least defeated all of his teams ... does that not make sense to you Kyno? Is it possible for you to look at this objectively at all?

lets start over.

man that stinks you lost.

due to him having an auto set defense, the win/ loss was completely in your hands. its very unfortunate that you didn't get back to the game to set all of your defenses.

what do you suggest is the solution?

the auto defense was added to avoid players losing an opportunity to gain points and complete feats, do you think they should change that?

the point system is pretty basic, do you suggest they alter it so that someone could actively set less or no defense and win? that doesn't make sense to me.
  • Zippy_3000
    110 posts Member
    Options

lets start over.

due to him having an auto set defense, the win/ loss was completely in your hands. its very unfortunate that you didn't get back to the game to set all of your defenses.

the auto defense was added to avoid players losing an opportunity to gain points and complete feats, do you think they should change that?

the point system is pretty basic, do you suggest they alter it so that someone could actively set less or no defense and win? that doesn't make sense to me.

No auto-deploy.
  • Zippy_3000
    110 posts Member
    Options
    There should either be no auto deploy at all or auto deploy for any and all empty spots.

This would seem to make sense.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    No, You lost because you set a single team only on defense.

Actually, it would be more accurate to say: He won, because he did nothing.

Not really, no. It was your action, that was decisive.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe take responsibility for your your own (in)actions?
    I’m not sure what you could BUY in this situation.

I could buy GL KYLO, GL REY, plus every single other thing CG dangles in front of me ... then I'd be all over GA, because I might have a shred of a chance to actually get higher than 4th place for once.

Not if you set one team.

Mmmkay. Thanks for the help bro. Either way, it's still (yet another) frustrating and bad design by CG. See you in the clubhouse.

sorry what part is a bad design by them? the part that if someone doesn't place a full set of defenses they lose?

That if they literally do nothing, they win - even though i participated, and defeated all of their teams.

because changing the point structure to make that possible is the only way you could have won since you didn't set all the defenses.

If I didn't do anything, at all, and they won, I think that would be fair. The fact my opponent literally did NOTHING and I completely wiped them out is the problem. I can't make this any clearer.

You chose to not have a full defense. That was a bad choice strategically. That's why you lost. It's no problem at all.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm penalized for "not participating enough" ... while he is rewarded for not doing anything.

You're penalized for making a bad choice. If this had been a boxing match you would be the boxer, who knocked himself out while his opponent didn't throw a single punch but still won.

(well, if he would win according to the boxing rules, that is)
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

lets start over.

No auto-deploy.

What a terrible idea. That way the opponent would be deprived of progressing/completing feats.

You lost. Get over it. Learn your lesson. Win the next time your opponent doesn't participate.
  • Options

Mistakes mean losses.
    You made a mistake, you lost.
    They didn't, they won.
  • SithVicious
    1283 posts Member
    Options

lets start over.

No auto-deploy.

What a terrible idea. That way the opponent would be deprived of progressing/completing feats.

You lost. Get over it. Learn your lesson. Win the next time your opponent doesn't participate.

The system is flawed and this instance points it out.

The system may have flaws, like all do, but not in this instance. For one, it’s probably an extreme outlier case. I can’t imagine this happens often. Changing the system so one odd instance can result in a win for someone who set a single defense could have serious repercussions for the majority.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Does the answer to op’s problem depend on how long someone gets distracted for? Assuming one can deploy their 8 squads in, say, 30 minutes, that leaves what, 23 hours and 30 minutes left to be distracted? Which seems like plenty.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    Not really, no. It was your action, that was decisive.

So, by that logic, I shouldn’t have bothered playing. Then, I would’ve deserved to win.

That logic makes absolutely ZERO sense to me. You’re not going to convince me that I’m wrong. I don’t require further explanations of the same thing from you.
  • Options

You’re worried about someone who didn’t participate in the event NOT GETTING REWARDS. Vs someone who did participate, getting a loss.

I accept your viewpoint, even though I can’t understand it. I think you are definitely wrong. Also, I don’t require any more condescending coments from you. “You lost, get over it” - That’s really helpful. Bye now! Rest assured I will (not) endeavour to make myself a better player with the sole purpose of impressing players like you, so that we can all continuously agree that this game is perfect, it has no flaws, it’s never frustrating, and nothing is ever, EVER wrong with it.
  • Options

Mistakes mean losses.
    You made a mistake, you lost.
    They didn't, they won.

Their “no mistakes” strategy consisted of: Forgetting about the event, so the game auto deployed.

That’s a brilliant strategy! I can see how you think they deserved the win!
  • Options

The system may have flaws, like all do, but not in this instance. For one, it’s probably an extreme outlier case. I can’t imagine this happens often. Changing the system so one odd instance can result in a win for someone who set a single defense could have serious repercussions for the majority.

The majority of players who.... forget to play the event, and let the game auto deploy? Yes, we should protect the interests of people who can’t be bothered to partake in the event..
  • Zippy_3000
    110 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Yeah, I'm penalized for "not participating enough" ... while he is rewarded for not doing anything.

You're penalized for making a bad choice. If this had been a boxing match you would be the boxer, who knocked himself out while his opponent didn't throw a single punch but still won.

(well, if he would win according to the boxing rules, that is)

No, if this was a boxing match, I’d be the guy who showed up for the match late, while he didn’t show up at all.

So, just penalize me the late guy, but the no-show gets a win? I think you’re just protecting your own interests..
  • Zippy_3000
    110 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I can’t see any reason in favor of auto deploy that can’t also be said for auto deploying any undeployed zones.

Am I missing something here?

More than likely, these guys often just ignore the GA, auto deploy, and take what the game gives them .. and they’re happy with that. I see no logic in their arguments, so I’m concluding that they are protecting their interests.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    I can’t see any reason in favor of auto deploy that can’t also be said for auto deploying any undeployed zones.

iirc autodeploy for people who didn't set D was created bc if someone forgot then their opponent was penalized by not being able to get any feats/higher scores. Now, it autodeploys the top of your roster iirc, so your opponent can beat those teams and get full points.

So autodeploy rewards your opponent (as opposed to you), so then even if you tried to win it's pretty (well, I assume it's fully) impossible without the top of your roster. This way the people who want rewards but don't want to or forget to set D aren't hurting their opponents. The incentive is to set your D

As for why not have fill-in autodeploy for partially set D, maybe the issue is which teams would go to D? if you set one team then the rest is the rest of the top chars? Or you set 5 and the next 3 are autodeployed top of rest of the roster? I assume these would make it harder for your opponent to clear (than leaving blank), which again shows the incentive to place D. But it does bring up the issue of the lack of ability for opponent to get the full points/feats by leaving it blank now, so idk.

My solution: I don't see why it can't just use the last-used teams like it does between rounds. I also think those teams should stay set so if you want to tweak a team or two you can do so without resetting everything, but that's a diff issue
  • SithVicious
    1283 posts Member
    Options

lets start over.

No auto-deploy.

The system is flawed and this instance points it out.

You don’t think a system is flawed that allows a win for someone who didn’t set any D and didn’t attack over a person who did set a D and full cleared?

Why is there even an auto deploy? Why does it only pertain to no set D as opposed to partial set D?

I just think there should never be a win condition by doing absolutely nothing vs a whole lot more than nothing.

I don’t think there should be any expectation of a chance to win by setting one defensive team, mistake or not. The auto deploy feature has helped far more players than it has hurt, which as far as I know is one.

The majority of players who.... forget to play the event, and let the game auto deploy? Yes, we should protect the interests of people who can’t be bothered to partake in the event..

Opposite, I mean the majority of players who were cheated by the people who joined and didn’t set a defense. I personally don’t understand the people who join and don’t play, I think it’s weird. Your situation is a bummer and I understand your frustration, but I don’t think there should be a way to set one defense and be able to win. That could be exploited, especially by GL owners.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Gifafi wrote: »

iirc autodeploy for people who didn't set D was created bc if someone forgot then their opponent was penalized by not being able to get any feats/higher scores. Now, it autodeploys the top of your roster iirc, so your opponent can beat those teams and get full points.

So autodeploy rewards your opponent (as opposed to you), so then even if you tried to win it's pretty (well, I assume it's fully) impossible without the top of your roster. This way the people who want rewards but don't want to or forget to set D aren't hurting their opponents. The incentive is to set your D

As for why not have fill-in autodeploy for partially set D, maybe the issue is which teams would go to D? if you set one team then the rest is the rest of the top chars? Or you set 5 and the next 3 are autodeployed top of rest of the roster? I assume these would make it harder for your opponent to clear (than leaving blank), which again shows the incentive to place D. But it does bring up the issue of the lack of ability for opponent to get the full points/feats by leaving it blank now, so idk.

My solution: I don't see why it can't just use the last-used teams like it does between rounds. I also think those teams should stay set so if you want to tweak a team or two you can do so without resetting everything, but that's a diff issue

Exactly.

If the only reason for auto D is to not penalize your opponents for lack of ability to go after feats then you can apply that same logic to incomplete D sets.

The solution is simple and would kill 2 birds with one stone. Any undeployed areas, whether all (as it currently is) or some, would be filled starting with highest remaining chars.

That would fully rectify not punishing players who go for feats and would not allow for a weird win condition like OPs example.

Meh, I don’t see a need to develop/implement/change anything bc op got distracted for 23 hours and 59 minutes. It’s like the smallest accountability check ever