8802 posts Member
    ZAP wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    I can’t see any reason in favor of auto deploy that can’t also be said for auto deploying any undeployed zones.

Am I missing something here?

There's a reason not to autodeployed the remaining zones:

OP made an active choice to only deploy one team on defense. If that's his strategy (for whatever reason) the game shouldn't mess it up by auto deploying the rest of his squads.

He only set one team by mistake, he got distracted.

OK, let me rephrase then:

There's a reason not to autodeployed to the remaining zones:

Consider a player who made an active choice to only deploy one team on defense. If that's his strategy (for whatever reason) the game shouldn't mess it up by auto deploying the rest of his squads.
    There is no valid strategic reason to do this. It makes it impossible for you to win.

The only reason to deliberately set a single squad / fleet is to screw with your opponent, depriving them of the opportunity to work on feats. A few **** have even proposed this as a form of protest.

And this scenario proves that setting one D is not a strategy and as everyone has said, is a mistake.

I have seen many mistakes. I've made my share as well. That doesn't make it non-strategy - just bad strategy.

Which is it, a mistake or bad strategy? You’ve said it’s both over the course of 2 posts.

I'd say bad strategy is also a mistake. Wouldn't you?
    The OP wasn’t intending to set one team.

Other players may be.
    We don’t know if the opponent was intending to have all teams set randomly with highest GP chars so he would fail if he had time to attack, chances are he just didn’t have time to set D.

For OP, no help from AI setting rest of his defenses and for opponent full help from AI setting all defenses. Both made a mistake, yet only one of them got help from the AI to win, the one who did nothing. Why is that?

The major difference is still, that the player setting that one team performed a deliberate action.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I can’t see any reason in favor of auto deploy that can’t also be said for auto deploying any undeployed zones.

OP made an active choice to only deploy one team on defense. If that's his strategy (for whatever reason) the game shouldn't mess it up by auto deploying the rest of his squads.

Consider a player who made an active choice to only deploy one team on defense. If that's his strategy (for whatever reason) the game shouldn't mess it up by auto deploying the rest of his squads.
    There is no valid strategic reason to do this. It makes it impossible for you to win.

The only reason to deliberately set a single squad / fleet is to screw with your opponent, depriving them of the opportunity to work on feats. A few **** have even proposed this as a form of protest.

Even a bad strategy could be a strategy. Players use different strategies. I've seen seen some unusual defenses before.
    Once again, there is no valid strategic reason to do this. It makes it impossible for you to win.

It's bad strategy, yes. Agreed.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    ImaSmakya wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    IT'S 24 HOURS HOW DO NOT HAVE TIME/GET "DISTRACTED" FOR THAT LONG THIS MAKES NO SENSE

It’s awesome that this game is what brings joy and meaning to your life. Some of us just play it as a game on our phone and have 100’s of things that are more important to us. I lose no sleep if I don’t get to the game for a couple days.

It's a daily game.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    IT'S 24 HOURS HOW DO NOT HAVE TIME/GET "DISTRACTED" FOR THAT LONG THIS MAKES NO SENSE

It’s awesome that this game is what brings joy and meaning to your life. Some of us just play it as a game on our phone and have 100’s of things that are more important to us. I lose no sleep if I don’t get to the game for a couple days.

It's a daily game.

That's nice.

It's a game, you play when you want, I'll play when I want.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Even a bad strategy could be a strategy. Players use different strategies. I've seen seen some unusual defenses before.
    Once again, there is no valid strategic reason to do this. It makes it impossible for you to win.

It’s not a strategy at all. People interchange the words strategy and tactic incorrectly a lot, like in this case for instance.

Dictionaries disagree with you.

But I agree that it's a bad strategy.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

Get a life and then you'll know.

lol someone with pepe in their name isn't a class act? shocking stuff

It seems the opponent got distracted for even longer and stop yelling.

OR DID THEY

giphy.gif?****=ecf05e47a04d643a8b1349579d9f5dc49ee8bdb556612d6f&rid=giphy.gif

Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

OR DID THEY

Slap in the fase
    Or did they
    K gifs

Your bag of derailment tactics have gotten really old and boring, you should come up with some new ones.

responding to insults and to you for pretending that it "seems like" opponent got distracted for 24h instead of op's 23.9h is derailment?

giphy.gif?****=ecf05e47c0835d8f3996e34b5c0c0c556445775e5b73ba6b&rid=giphy.gif

tl;dr: no one cares that op messed up for getting "distracted" for a whole day. He messed up, he lost, dealwithit.jpg. It's the outliest of outliers, we don't need a fix for incompetence. Well, we do, but devs can't do it. let it go
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • thecarterologist958
    1111 posts Member
    edited May 2020

OR DID THEY

Slap in the fase
    Or did they
    K gifs

Your bag of derailment tactics have gotten really old and boring, you should come up with some new ones.

OR HAVE THEY? (who cares.)
    It's a slap in the fase though
    If you think we should.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

OR DID THEY

Slap in the fase
    Or did they
    K gifs

responding to insults and to you for pretending that it "seems like" opponent got distracted for 24h instead of op's 23.9h is derailment?

tl;dr: no one cares that op messed up for getting "distracted" for a whole day. He messed up, he lost, dealwithit.jpg. It's the outliest of outliers, we don't need a fix for incompetence. Well, we do, but devs can't do it. let it go

It’s simple really, the OP got distracted and screwed up, but his opponent was even worse, yet the system hands opponent tons of points, a win and a non-participation trophy, how is that not clear?

As was posted earlier, the devs said they weren’t going to award non-participation, yet they actually are.

Forget the word derailment, I’m just telling you your bag of tricks are tired, unoriginal and your K gifs are 100% insulting and aren’t conducive to respectful discussion.

Did the system hand them a win? Because in this situation it seems the win or loss was in the hands of the OP, and the inaction on the OPs part due to the distraction was what handed them the win.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member

It's a daily game.

That's nice.

That's nice.

Why does GAC have 24 hour periods?

Because it's a daily game.

But yes, you don't have to play if you don't want to.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member

It's a daily game.

That's nice.

That's nice.

I don’t care about the cadence of this game, I thought I made that clear. If I miss something that has a 24 hour limit and it annoys someone, so be it. Like I said, more important things in life than a phone game.
  • ImaSmakya wrote: »

It's a daily game.

That's nice.

That's nice.

I don’t care about the cadence of this game, I thought I made that clear. If I miss something that has a 24 hour limit and it annoys someone, so be it. Like I said, more important things in life than a phone game.

If OP had same problem and couldn't give game some time, why does he care so much for a loss?
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    ArtemGOH wrote: »

It's a daily game.

That's nice.

That's nice.

If OP had same problem and couldn't give game some time, why does he care so much for a loss?

No idea. Ask him. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Tanzos
    219 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

OR DID THEY

Slap in the fase
    Or did they
    K gifs

It’s simple really, the OP got distracted and screwed up, but his opponent was even worse, yet the system hands opponent tons of points, a win and a non-participation trophy, how is that not clear?

As was posted earlier, the devs said they weren’t going to award non-participation, yet they actually are.

Forget the word derailment, I’m just telling you your bag of tricks are tired, unoriginal and your K gifs are 100% insulting and aren’t conducive to respectful discussion.

Did the system hand them a win? Because in this situation it seems the win or loss was in the hands of the OP, and the inaction on the OPs part due to the distraction was what handed them the win.

Yes actually it did. Cause if the system didn't exist, (no auto deploy) OP would've won 60-0.

So yes, the system literally handed them a win for doing nothing.

The system did not give equal compensation for the OP by filling his unfilled defense slots.

If the system only filled one defense for the opposing player to match the OP's one defense, who would've won?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

It’s not a strategy at all. People interchange the words strategy and tactic incorrectly a lot, like in this case for instance.

Actually they don’t, not to mention there are plenty of articles discussing the difference between strategy and tactics and how people confuse them.

Again, the single action of setting one defense team is not a strategy. It may be a tactic involved in some overall strategy, but I fail to see what that strategy could possibly be.

Keep in mind that strategy originally related to war and has always been associated with winning or surviving. You don’t need to develop and employ a strategy to lose.

We're discussing the choice of deploying a single team. That's strategy. We're not discussing the single action of putting a team on defense (tactics). That's where it went wrong for you.

Read the history. It's all there.

I agree it's bad strategy, yet still strategy.
  • Tanzos
    219 posts Member

Actually they don’t, not to mention there are plenty of articles discussing the difference between strategy and tactics and how people confuse them.

Again, the single action of setting one defense team is not a strategy. It may be a tactic involved in some overall strategy, but I fail to see what that strategy could possibly be.

Keep in mind that strategy originally related to war and has always been associated with winning or surviving. You don’t need to develop and employ a strategy to lose.

We're discussing the choice of deploying a single team. That's strategy. We're not discussing the single action of putting a team on defense (tactics). That's where it went wrong for you.

Read the history. It's all there.

I agree it's bad strategy, yet still strategy.

You're saying it was his choice to set one D? Choice isn't the word I would use. I don't think he chose to do that but rather happened by circumstance.

Choice is something done intentionally. Right? He didn't choose to set one D as if that was his plan all along. It happened. But not by choice.
  • littleMAC77
    2397 posts Member

OR DID THEY

Slap in the fase
    Or did they
    K gifs

This.

Also, has anyone even asked yet if op would have won with the rest of their defense autofilled? Take out their top 40 characters, do they get through a single team? Did they have the higher GP to win a tie? If not, the autofill is pointless to this discussion as the end result would be the same: OP lost because of his own actions.

As for how the autofill should work, the last thing it should do is auto place your last defense at the beginning of a new GA. Forgetting to attempt setting defense 1 or the 4 times you actually have to should not be rewarded with a setup you want. What would be nice is presets like teams, so that way you can quickly set a template defense (very similar idea, but requires an action to be taken).
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • SithVicious
    1283 posts Member

OR DID THEY

Slap in the fase
    Or did they
    K gifs

It is clear, but does this rare situation necessitate a change? I don’t think so.
    The system encourages setting a full defense by awarding more points for defense than can be earned by individual battles, which the op did not do. If this were not the case, the tactic of not setting a full defense could be used as a strategy to earn more offensive points on efficiency (see what I did there 😉?) Even though op’s level of participation was greater, he still did not fully participate (intentionally or not, the game can’t differentiate). He may not necessarily deserve to lose, but he doesn’t deserve to win either. I believe blaming the system is misplaced, in this scenario.
    The auto defense was put into place so those who wanted to participate still could against those who decided not to.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member

OR DID THEY

Slap in the fase
    Or did they
    K gifs

While I agree this is an outlier, it still should never happen, especially given the devs stating that non-participation would not be awarded.

The OP participated and his opponent did not.

I believe the devs have not accounted for this scenario and just overlooked it. I believe the main issue is in how max points are awarded for non-participation and in this case for both O and D.

OP had minimal participation on D and max participation on O and if what the devs have said and the system were working properly would be awarded the win.

I agree that it’s not ideal.

I just don’t agree that it’s worth fixing. Setting a single tram on def. is already used by some players to impede their opponents progress (without any benefit to themselves, just out of spite).
    Anything that discourages that behaviour should remain unchanged, as this is the exact type of behaviour that the “Auto-deploy” was initially created to prevent.
  • ZAP wrote: »
    You can set 2 teams to mess with your opponent as well, however setting 2 teams in this scenario wins.

Here’s the optimal in order, using div 1 in this last GAC type, see if you can spot what’s wrong.

1. Set 8 teams
    2. Set 7 teams
    3. Set 6 teams
    4. Set 5 teams
    5. Set 4 teams
    6. Set 3 teams
    7. Set 2 teams
    8. Set 0 teams
    9. Set 1 team

Yeah, but is it though?
    Have you tested what you say,
    Or just made it up?
  • Tanzos
    219 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    You can set 2 teams to mess with your opponent as well, however setting 2 teams in this scenario wins.

Here’s the optimal in order, using div 1 in this last GAC type, see if you can spot what’s wrong.

1. Set 8 teams
    2. Set 7 teams
    3. Set 6 teams
    4. Set 5 teams
    5. Set 4 teams
    6. Set 3 teams
    7. Set 2 teams
    8. Set 0 teams
    9. Set 1 team

Yeah, but is it though?
    Have you tested what you say,
    Or just made it up?

Cause math. No need to test.

Set 1 team plus full clear doesn't equal a win.

Set 0 teams and beat one team equals a win (or tie breaker with no teams beaten)

Set 2 teams plus full clear may equal win (pending team efficiency).

Also, had he set only his ship territory, it would be even worse of a spread because the would get an extra 210 banners for "conquering" a territory.

So in fact it could've been even worse mathematically.