Mando not going to be as useful in Geo TB

13Next

Replies

• How did this thread turn into a debate about terrorism? It was a simple post stating that as Mando and the rest of the BH line up currently are, Mando is not as useful in Geo TB because you can’t field a team full of folks to help activate his payout quickly lol
  • TioMono
    25 posts Member
    How did this thread turn into a debate about terrorism? It was a simple post stating that as Mando and the rest of the BH line up currently are, Mando is not as useful in Geo TB because you can’t field a team full of folks to help activate his payout quickly lol
    Yeah sorry. I morphed into should bounty hunters be neutral. Which would bypass his payout issues on a pure light side team if you could use nuetral on light or dark teams.
  • TioMono wrote: »
    How did this thread turn into a debate about terrorism? It was a simple post stating that as Mando and the rest of the BH line up currently are, Mando is not as useful in Geo TB because you can’t field a team full of folks to help activate his payout quickly lol
    Yeah sorry. I morphed into should bounty hunters be neutral. Which would bypass his payout issues on a pure light side team if you could use nuetral on light or dark teams.

Yeah I suggested/inquired about a neutral tag in the initial posted

• Bounty Hunters in Star Wars are meant to be bad guys. That's how they were set up from the beginning. It may not be real-world accurate but complain to Lucas, not me.

For my part I can't understand why Greef Karga is Light Side.
  • TioMono
    25 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Bounty Hunters in Star Wars are meant to be bad guys. That's how they were set up from the beginning. It may not be real-world accurate but complain to Lucas, not me.

Yup Greedo being the first bounty hunter introduced was clearly a "bad guy". His target Han, a smuggler who owes money to a crime boss and is on the run definitely has the moral high ground over someone paid to bring that guy in alive.

In the scope of how star wars is "meant to be" you could easily argue that characters who accept jobs for money (even if the job is a bit sketchy) are not necessarily dark or light. Rebels weren't hiring them because they were strapped for cash and always on the run. Why try to approach a bounty hunter for a job when the ruling government can pay them more and has a bounty on your head already. Any bounty hunter would most likely just go with the bigger payout (apart from the occasional moral dilema like being hired to kidnap a baby but not knowing that before you took the job). Boba was upset with Vader for the potential of the carbonite to kill his bounty. Fett wasn't just a murderous lunatic. He just wanted to get paid for his job. To bring a smuggler in alive to the guy that the smuggler cheated.

To me bounty hunters will always be nuetral in star wars. They simply work for the biggest paycheck. And occasionally will reject the job because they do not agree with the morality of it. I'm not sure I have seen "official" word from Lucas that bounty hunters are meant to be bad guys.

Edit: Embo's first appearance was defending a bunch of farmers from pirates. He fought alongside Anakin, Obi-wan, Asohka, and several other bounty hunters. George Lucas himself was a writer on that episode.
    Post edited by TioMono on
  • TioMono wrote: »
    Bounty Hunters in Star Wars are meant to be bad guys. That's how they were set up from the beginning. It may not be real-world accurate but complain to Lucas, not me.

Yup Greedo being the first bounty hunter introduced was clearly a "bad guy". His target Han, a smuggler who owes money to a crime boss and is on the run definitely has the moral high ground over someone paid to bring that guy in alive.

In the scope of how star wars is "meant to be" you could easily argue that characters who accept jobs for money (even if the job is a bit sketchy) are not necessarily dark or light. Rebels weren't hiring them because they were strapped for cash and always on the run. Why try to approach a bounty hunter for a job when the ruling government can pay them more and has a bounty on your head already. Any bounty hunter would most likely just go with the bigger payout (apart from the occasional moral dilema like being hired to kidnap a baby but not knowing that before you took the job). Boba was upset with Vader for the potential of the carbonite to kill his bounty. Fett wasn't just a murderous lunatic. He just wanted to get paid for his job. To bring a smuggler in alive to the guy that the smuggler cheated.

To me bounty hunters will always be nuetral in star wars. They simply work for the biggest paycheck. And occasionally will reject the job because they do not agree with the morality of it. I'm not sure I have seen "official" word from Lucas that bounty hunters are meant to be bad guys.

Edit: Embo's first appearance was defending a bunch of farmers from pirates. He fought alongside Anakin, Obi-wan, Asohka, and several other bounty hunters. George Lucas himself was a writer on that episode.

Bounty hunters are clearly meant to be bad guys. Boba Fett hangs out with Jabba. If a real world bounty hunter was spending his time with the Maffia it would be very difficult to call him anything but a bad guy. Greedo was hired by Jabba to get Solo. Again, if a real world bounty hunter was working for the Mob, you'd have a hard time convincing anyone he was neutral. Embo is the only BH in the game that you could make a case for being neutral. And maybe Greef Karga for his turnaround. Bounty hunters will happily work for an evil regime like the Empire. If real world bounty hunters sold their services to Iran and North Korea, you would consider them evil I'd imagine.

It's like you haven't really watched Star Wars specifically the Clone Wars to see all the evil bounty hunters do. Good Greef.
  • TioMono
    25 posts Member
    TioMono wrote: »

Bounty hunters are clearly meant to be bad guys. Boba Fett hangs out with Jabba. If a real world bounty hunter was spending his time with the Maffia it would be very difficult to call him anything but a bad guy. Greedo was hired by Jabba to get Solo. Again, if a real world bounty hunter was working for the Mob, you'd have a hard time convincing anyone he was neutral. Embo is the only BH in the game that you could make a case for being neutral. And maybe Greef Karga for his turnaround. Bounty hunters will happily work for an evil regime like the Empire. If real world bounty hunters sold their services to Iran and North Korea, you would consider them evil I'd imagine.

It's like you haven't really watched Star Wars specifically the Clone Wars to see all the evil bounty hunters do. Good Greef.

I guess we can disagree then. Asohka left the Jedi order because she saw they lost their way in the clone wars. Yoda was even facepalming the order for how poorly things were being handled. There are many shades of gray in star wars. Very few characters are pure evil or good. A neutral tag would be a welcome addition to the game imo.

I have watched all 7 seasons of clone wars. I look at it and see that both sides of the conflict did horrible or careless things harming innocents around them. I also feel Anakin bringing balance was spot on. The jedi were way out of whack and lost their way. Clone war ends and the balance was essentially down to 2 evil, Darth and Palpitine, and 2 good Yoda and Obi-wan. Then numerous background people that float in the middle like maul and ashoka. And that middle ground is full of people that were closer to evil or good but would work with either side if it would fulfill a goal they wanted. Almost like the could be considered neutral or something.
  • Working for people who engage in genocide is as evil as it gets. No gray there. Boba Fett, IG-88, and Bossk had no problem doing that. Cad Bane will kill you over headwear. Greedo is functionally a Maffia hitman. Zam let herself be hired as an assassin, far outside the parameters of bounty hunting. Not only are they bad guys but they're REALLY bad guys.

I'll give you Mando, Greef, and maybe Embo.

Just because the Jedi were inept doesn't mean they were bad.
  • TioMono
    25 posts Member
    Working for people who engage in genocide is as evil as it gets. No gray there. Boba Fett, IG-88, and Bossk had no problem doing that. Cad Bane will kill you over headwear. Greedo is functionally a Maffia hitman. Zam let herself be hired as an assassin, far outside the parameters of bounty hunting. Not only are they bad guys but they're REALLY bad guys.

I'll give you Mando, Greef, and maybe Embo.

Just because the Jedi were inept doesn't mean they were bad.

But Mando worked for the empire. So he is as evil as it gets by your definition as well. How long was Lando in Jabbas palace to be able to get on security duty? What acts did he have to commit? Is he as evil as it gets too? You are looking at the whole thing very black and white. I am saying there are shades of gray. And we have enough in canon examples of bounty hunters being neutral that it's not a stretch to think they could be in game.

Anakin Skywalker. Is he as evil as it gets? Because he turned on the Emperor to protect his son. Did that make up for all the bad he had done? Did his time as a Jedi and the good he did there balance out his later evil deeds? GRAY AREA! He did alot of downright horrific stuff. But the force seemed to feel he was redeemed after his death.

We obviously aren't going to agree on this so I'm done commenting.
  • Phoenixeon
    1842 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    Smidday wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Still will never understand how a BH is not neutral.

If your hired to assassinate someone, & you take the job, your committing Murder 4 Hire, and I'm not sure that would ever qualify as "Not-Evil".

If you look at the Light Side vs Dark side, its about the force, not good and evil, its Jedi vs Sith. The Jedi believe peace, knowledge harmony and serenity is best used in the force and the Sith believe in passion, strength and power in their code of the force. Neither is evil, you could argue that the Galactic Empire brought peace to the galaxy and united them and the Rebels were terrorists using guerrilla tactics attacking the government to implement their ancient ideology.

Terrorists, by definition, attack civilians. You can't argue the Rebels were terrorists.

Unless, of course, you're changing the meaning of "terrorist."

winners write the movies. terrorist rebel scum cost a lot of lives. Sure, Empire had to break a few eggs to bring peace and prosperity to the galaxy omelet, but that's just how it goes. Rebs destroyed that peace with murder and mayhem. They were like the jedi death squads enforcing the corrupt Galactic Republic's orders all over again smh

Show me where the Rebellion targeted civilians.

They capture jyn and force her to find galen because galen is a imperial scientist.
  • Phoenixeon
    1842 posts Member

In SWTOR you can be a good BH or bad jedi. Just saying.
  • Should BH be neutral? Yes. Look at embo he protected innocent people in a town because it was in his contract and later on tried to kill an innocent senator, greef got the mandalorians killed. Mando killed a bounty hunter just because it was his job to bring in the child that mando stole, so why should they be light side and them be dark side.
    Now are they useless? Hell to the naw naw naw naww just wait until we get the rest of the group together

That argument only works for Embo though. And only early in the show before he worked as muscle for the Hutts. Unless we get Sugi and the rest of the pirate-fighting, farmer-defending BH gang, I don't see any other candidate for a less-than-dark side tag.
  • Lysandrax wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Still will never understand how a BH is not neutral.

If your hired to assassinate someone, & you take the job, your committing Murder 4 Hire, and I'm not sure that would ever qualify as "Not-Evil".

They're not "murder 4 hire"
    They're collecting bounties. They're still adhering to a code, which stands to reason as a substitute for law. That doesnt make it inherently good or evil.
    If a bounty says 'dead or alive' and you bring them in dead that action alone doesn't make you evil.

So Zam was a substitute for the law when she tried to assassinate Padmé? What about Cad when he freed a criminal Hutt and plotted to abduct then-chancellor Palpatine? It seems to me that bounty hunters broke the law more frequently than working within its bounds, at least during the days of the Galactic Republic.

Besides, if the law can't be judged good or evil, the Empire wasn't dark side either. It should be the rebel alliance who gets the DS tag on account of violating Imperial law.
  • Monel
    2784 posts Member
    TioMono wrote: »

Truthfully the alignment depends on the person. Could there be a BH that hunts anything to get money, could there be a BH that only hunts those he/she deems bad? Yes to both. Just like smugglers, we all call Han a good guy and yet he hung out with Jabba and smuggled spice. Gee, what is spice code for in the SWU? Not exactly the makings of a good guy.