Why the GL ticket grind was a bad idea.

Daishi
718 posts Member
I understand that CG wished to extend the process of unlocking a GL by creating multiple stages to achieve the unlock. The problem is CG has programed the player base to respond one way, and then switched it completely.

Historically we have been given prerequisites to unlock all other special characters. Legendary was any 5 from a group, journey was 5 specific, and then Epic was a larger pool of 10-12 specific characters. They've increased gear requirements and number of characters required which is to be expected. However in all existing cases our anticipation is built up by farming/gearing the prerequisites and once we have them, we can unlock the character. It creates the anticipation/release cycle that gives us the achievement/dopamine "ding" in our brain.

Now with GLs, they had the same prerequisite buildup, creating anticipation for the release of the pressure by unlocking the character at the end of the farming/gearing the prerequisites. Now however instead of getting that release of the anticipation at the end of getting the prerequisites ready, we just have a huge let down of realizing how long the ticket grind will take.

My experience: I've been f2p farming the GL Rey reqs. Pushing to get stars for RH Poe and Finn and had the gear ready to G13 them. I felt this intense pressure as more and more of my arena shard was unlocking and switching the GLs. This led me to incessantly checking the game looking for any gear I need, checking for shop refreshes or paying for shop refreshes with my dwindling crystal supply to buy shards for Poe. I finally got the characters to 7*, Raddus returned and I got it to 5* and was EXCITED to finally get to work on unlocking GL Rey.
Then I started farming tickets. My anticipation has turned to irritation, my excitement to apathy.

It's like pavlov's dog, we have been trained to salivate at the bell because we get fed. Now CG has rung the bell and given us cardboard covered in old grease instead of the anticipated meal.

How can they do better in the future? The ticket system can be salvaged!

Our requirements to unlock were broken into 4 phases. The event is roughly 4 phases as well! 3 phases to unlock Rey, and one phase to unlock the ultimate. (Get rid of the 2 stupid ticket sinks between the duel and the ultimate battle).

So instead of needing ALL requirements to get tickets, allow each phase of the event to unlock with each phase of the requirements being met. Got the first 3 characters ready? Unlock tickets and the first battle. Next 3 characters ready, unlock the next phase of battle (and let people hoard to the max of 144 tickets as soon as tickets become farmable). Once you finish all requirements, unlock the ultimate battle to get ult ability materials.

This would have let us start the process and build the anticipation during the entire process. Now you've just created a player base who no longer trusts the bell and is apathetic to future GL releases.

Replies

• Jakdnels
    787 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Lots of good points about the GL requirements and event.
    Post edited by Kyno on