Separating Sith and Separatists

Powersbooth
posts Member
edited May 2020
Is it better in general to balance your roster or maximize top end teams on defense?

I feel like I need better balance to maximize my GAC roster. I find that often my top teams crush and bottom teams struggle. Defense especially, i field 4 or 5 walk over teams each time.

If I shuffle things around to get 2 viable sepi teams and 2 good sith teams while maintaining my BHs I at least get 1-2 additional teams that are viable.

https://swgoh.gg/p/225765277/

Current Setup (most of the time)
1) GG, Magna, B1, B2, Droideka
2) Nute(z), Asajj, JF, Dooku(z), Nest(z)
3) DR, Badstilla, Malak, HK, SET
4) Traya, Sion, Nihilus, Maul, Savage
5) EP, Thrawn, Vader, Tarkin, TFP,
6) Bossk, BF, Dengar, Cad, Greedo (this team sucks, working on mando/greef, but it will be a while)
- i don't currently use Imp troopers or NS

Proposed Setup
1) GG, Magna, B1, B2, HK
2) Nute, Asajj, Dooku, Nest, Droideka
3) EP, Badstilla, DR, Tarkin, Maul
4) Traya, Sion, Nihilus, Savage, Malak
5) Bossk, BF, JF, Dengar, Cad
6) Veers, Thrawn, Shore, Death, Stark

Downside is I feel like this will obviously lower the ceiling of my darth revan team

How are other folks dealing with roster imbalances?

Replies

• Keep in mind that this game is trying to become and largely has achieved a very offensive first feel to it. The best defensive teams right now still easily get destroyed by the right counters which tend to be more plentiful than they were in the past. When JKR came out, you either had to out gear them by a lot or have the same JKR team to be able to beat them. Now, even with the GLs out you can use several different counters to take them down. GAS was the same way as the first new meta that was able to be countered fairly easily.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    The art of a good GAC defense is not to full stop your opponent but to take away banners from them. It also helps you to balance your roster and to save enough good teams for offense, so you can full clear your opponent with more banners.

That being said, if you have that one team, which is absolutely OP (meaning you are aboslutely sure your opponent has no way to beat it). You are free to always put it on the front row (and put garbage teams behind) and stop reading further :smile:

Otherwise you need to put teams on defense, which are either fast enough to go first or are counter-happy or has good way to avoid destruction before dishing out loads of damage.

Therefore a great example of a good defense is a GG team with variations. It gives you many ways to drag on the battle (e.g. with GG's Metalloid Monstrosity unique or by swaping in bb8, Wat or Nute) protecting the main damage dealer (GG) to steal banners.

On the bottom end of the defense ranking is the Old Republic team. This team is very slow and has a very low damage output. Therefore, it can be easily countered by many teams (and even solos). Putting such a team on defense usually means you are give away free banners to your opponents.

Definitely try to mix allround toons into classic teams. A classic Nightsister, BH or even Padme team can be easily countered. But if you throw in some allround toons like Nest, Malak or Wat, it will give your opponent much more food for thoughts. Here, I would like to point how that the Sith Empire team consists of so many toons that are plug-n-play that it is actually a waste to use them as one team. Think about splitting your Sith Empire team. You can easily make 2-3 top tier teams out of it. You can use BSF with PPT as a substitute for Vader to make the TM train run even faster. You can use DR and HK as one team (and throw in some random sith or droids), which easily steal banners with great speed and damage output. You can use SET with Traya-Sion-Bug-Cleanup crew to make it more reliable. And Malak himself is a one man show anyway.

And last but not least, sometimes it is worth thinking about putting a team on defense, which other people normally would save for offense (if you can afford to). A typical example is CLS. Most people use a CLS team for offense, but actually this is a great plug-n-play team for defense. Firstly, Han always shoots first. That means your opponent potentially starts losing banners before the match has even begun. Secondly, this team is all about brute-force damage and you don't need to worry much about the AI messing up things. And finally, seeing a CLS team on defense is a nightmare for many people, because they don't have much experience beating such a team.

• Antario
    996 posts Member
    btw. a DR team without Bastila or Malak is still a good defense team. It probabaly won't ultimately stop the opponent. But it has almost the same damage potential. And your opponent will likely still waste a top team to clear it.
  • Jack1210
    771 posts Member
    Ya like antario is saying, there's no one specific way to do it. Mixing things up can help and help you find a new team. I've started dropping jango, bossk, nute, stormtrooper han and zaalbar on my alt, and it has given people a ton of trouble.

Also you have to see what your opponent has. I laugh so much when someone puts a phoenix or ewok team in the front when I have a very good nest. Instant 63-64 banners. Make sure to not leave stuff that can easily be countered while checking their roster.