Why did they do this???

Prev134
ioniancat21
2091 posts Member
edited March 2016
My complaints have mostly been focused on Cost vs. Content but my question today is, after reading the 3/25 update notes, I read that the Level increase to 80 will happen before the meta changes and this is not a wise move....

1. First of all, going to 80 will pretty much kill any new players starting now because it'll cost them $7M to level a character from 1 to 80, $35M to create a 7* meta team. Remember, players need a B-Team for GW which will also cost them another $30M or more, do the math EA, most of your customers don't have thousands to drop on the game..
2. The second issue is that players should have a week or two to adjust to the new meta without having the additional worry of "what toons to level if any".
3. We are running out of bullets as far as Level increases go. I would assume the Level increases will be over at Level 100. In a perfect world, we'd reach 100 next year at this time so if you go to 80 now, you only have 2 more upgrades left to space out over the next year, not good.
4. In general, there is so much other content we should receive before the level increase like more characters, more tables and events, more content. Doing the level up only looks like a cash grab when the content isn't up to snuff.

In the end of the day, do as you will but I believe that I make some valid points...

Comments????

Replies

• Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    You would be ready if you spent more money...
  • Duckoo
    279 posts Member
    Options
    I would hope the decision to push up the level cap is based somewhat on research and the number of characters at 70. That's something we at players really don't get a glimpse of. I'm hoping cg made the decision because there were so many 70 characters and they needed to come up with something for players to do.

However, it does feel rushed to me given that only like 8 of my characters are at 70. I'm assuming this means I'm in the minority.
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Timitock wrote: »

I see your point and for me at Level 70, this won't be a big deal to get 5 toons to 80 but what about new players?? What about F2P players, who happen to be 99% of their player base?? Most people who spend on this spend a few hundred maximum, not thousands...
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    bring the level increase!!! my body is ready!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mighty chlorians
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Because they can.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    It's actually sadly ironic.

Many have been saying "please more content - but not a cap level increase" Others have correctly even pointed out that a level increase is really NOT new content.

Some have pointed out that a level increase was inevitable, but as long as it comes with new game modes, new content or maybe even a shift in the meta, they'd be okay with it.

So what will get next week? A cap increase...and no other new content.

"Let them eat cake." Wow. At times it seems as though the devs try to figure out exactly what a majority of the players want...and then do the exact opposite. Well if that's the plan, they are absolutely hitting it out of the park. Great work. :/
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    They do whatever they want. I won't say they don't care at all what we think, but they don't appear to care enough to have it affect major decisions.
    Gamers are the most tolerant product customers on the planet. They have no power, will tolerate almost anything, some percentage will defend the developers no matter what they do, and anyone who leaves will be replaced by the next guy.
    This is what's easy for them, and so it's what they are doing, there's nothing more to it than that.
  • Options
    I've read a lot of input on what people are saying on the cap increase. I really believe we have to see for ourselves how it will turn out. I can't get a good feel for this being all good or all bad at the moment. Similar things were said about level 70 increase, but this has the added complexity of the meta changes.
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • Options
    It's good that we voice an opinion regardless instead of staying quiet, which assumes approval.I am happy to see our members commenting...
  • Options
    creating problems that can be solved by $$$$, welcome to freemium
  • Options
    Because the can as Qeltar said, and because of the greed/grab.

Arodium Packs:

Rex- we got what 3 hours warning it was going away? It takes 60ish or so packs to 7* so one like me not dumping all my money into 1 character, but 10 packs a week lost out. I'd have not bought any had I known it was gone that quick, or I'd have bought more quickly forgoing some Bench grinding.

TS- Newest grab. How long will it be? No word.

Yoda- Says will return a "few" times then go away for awhile. Few=3+ he has returned twice,which is a "couple" no time on return, why? So people keep grinding Jedi, which are really not good at high level arena.

Platform only events- We all want new content, a new challenge/event added for only 1 platform.

Cap raise before meta shift-So raise the cap which requires huge resources. Those of us whop spend will dump in to raise our characters, then you shift the meta and we do so again. The lesser spenders will be killed by this.

Raise the cap but offer no new content. Brilliant. Sure new missions will open. What about new events. Every single thing is a blatant cash grab. I understand it is a business, but do something that is not a grab. Scoundrel event? There are no viable scoundrels so few will have them. So people to partake will grind out GW fodder. It was the same with Jedi. I see Jedi in arena I see free win.

I look forward to the new missions and hopefully some cool characters to farm in them.

Would it be too much to ask before the cap rise, or even next Fridays update to give us some detailed answers on:

What exactly these changes 2 weeks after the cap raise are, and how they will impact our current meta?

When is Yoda returning?

What is the plan for new tables, new content?

When are guilds coming?

Are ships coming?

Will new characters be added to arena and GW? I know Magma in GW and that is AWESOME!

@EA_Jesse any chance these can be addressed in the next update please?

Call this a whine post or an attack whatever, but look me up before you do. I am also one of the very few who post thank you posts and give them props on communication and such. I am just a paying customer(on a higher scale $ wise) who cares and enjoys the game with questions and concerns. I've spoken in many chats, my guild, and other chats with F2P to fellow high spenders and the frustration and questions I posed here are common ones that come up.
  • Options
    I know you DarthMasterShawn, you're not a whiner in any way. You and others make other valid points to add to mine, part of why I started the discussion....
  • Options
    You guys are so weird when you call creators of games greedy.

Why make a game? To make money. Its like saying God the store are so greedy cuz they raised the price of milk. Its a consumers world. If,people are willing to pay then money will be made. I don't pay to play but i,don't understand why there Is ,so much hatred over a game that was only created for one purpose.......to make money.
  • Options
    Don't know why there are so many commas above either.
  • Options
    1. First of all, going to 80 will pretty much kill any new players starting now because it'll cost them $7M to level a character from 1 to 80, $35M to create a 7* meta team. Remember, players need a B-Team for GW which will also cost them another $30M or more, do the math EA, most of your customers don't have thousands to drop on the game..

You're very misinformed. Cost for 1-80 is roughly 4.4 mil. Cost for 70-80 is roughly 2 mill.
    2. The second issue is that players should have a week or two to adjust to the new meta without having the additional worry of "what toons to level if any".

+1
    3. We are running out of bullets as far as Level increases go. I would assume the Level increases will be over at Level 100. In a perfect world, we'd reach 100 next year at this time so if you go to 80 now, you only have 2 more upgrades left to space out over the next year, not good.

+10
    4. In general, there is so much other content we should receive before the level increase like more characters, more tables and events, more content. Doing the level up only looks like a cash grab when the content isn't up to snuff.

+100
  • Options
    I'd rather EA create a cash grab with new content, not more levels. You'd think it would be pretty easy to get another table setup with a new event. Look at other games in this genre and draw ideas from it, how do you think other developers create new games. For example, how many Candy Crush alternatives exist out there??? Quite a few due to this idea....
  • President_Scroob
    1802 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Its very simple Its a cash grab, despite what mods will try to tell you.

The update with the meta change is still being tuned. They could very easily wait on the cap increase until the update is ready. Buuuuut...that would mean no way to go for our wallets in the meantime. So this is what they are doing. They are rushing the cap raise out now for one reason: They want you to level current meta toons to stay competitive in arena for the next couple of weeks. Then they'll drop the meta change and you'll find out the resources you spent on those toons was wasted as other toons that you didn't work on are now the top toons in arena. Then you'll spend to catch up.

Its a smart, but very underhanded, devious tactic. Don't be fooled by their greed. hold onto your resources, take the hit in arena now, to be ready when the update hits.
  • slmcmr
    875 posts Member
    Options
    You have asked the real questions @DarthMasterShawn but i wouldn't expect any return. Remember what happened to Q&A thread? I had no real experience with EA/GC before this game but i understand now why people are getting mad at them :|
  • President_Scroob
    1802 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    slmcmr wrote: »
    You have asked the real questions @DarthMasterShawn but i wouldn't expect any return. Remember what happened to Q&A thread? I had no real experience with EA/GC before this game but i understand now why people are getting mad at them :|

I made a thread telling people to not spend money, and hold their resources till meta change. Guess what. it was deleted within minutes. I was told "don't tell people not to spend money because you think it's a cash grab."
  • Jaesyn_Beaz
    412 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm just excited to get 10 more cantina energy refreshes. Yeah, I'm pretty easy to please.
    I am Darth Spartacus
  • Options
    Don't misunderstand me, I understand this is a business and the goal is making money. What I don't understand is ignoring the player base who is only trying to make the game better with good ideas, not looking to save $20 on an upgrade.

People will gladly pay if there is good stuff to do and content comes quicker than asked for. What EA and CG do is the opposite, offer little or no content than want to make money,. This angers people FYI...
  • Options
    I'm just excited to get 10 more cantina energy refreshes. Yeah, I'm pretty easy to please.

Honestly the only thing that would change this is us hitting them where it hurts: their bottom line. I guarantee you if everyone agreed to not play for a few days in protest to this, they'd change it. Sadly this will never be able to be coordinated, which is something that devs of games like this count on.
  • Options
    Its very simple Its a cash grab, despite what mods will try to tell you.

The update with the meta change is still being tuned. They could very easily wait on the cap increase until the update is ready. Buuuuut...that would mean no way to go for our wallets in the meantime. So this is what they are doing. They are rushing the cap raise out now for one reason: They want you to level current meta toons to stay competitive in arena for the next couple of weeks. Then they'll drop the meta change and you'll find out the resources you spent on those toons was wasted as other toons that you didn't work on are now the top toons in arena. Then you'll spend to catch up.

Its a smart, but very underhanded, devious tactic. Don't be fooled by their greed. hold onto your resources, take the hit in arena now, to be ready when the update hits.

This is money right here and I suggest all do this. Don't get baited into spending undo resources on useless toons...
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Don't misunderstand me, I understand this is a business and the goal is making money. What I don't understand is ignoring the player base who is only trying to make the game better with good ideas, not looking to save $20 on an upgrade.

People will gladly pay if there is good stuff to do and content comes quicker than asked for. What EA and CG do is the opposite, offer little or no content than want to make money,. This angers people FYI...

This. 1000000%. I have money sitting in my Google play account, ready to spend on this game. It has been sitting there for over two months and will continue to sit until the content EA/CG puts out is worth it. In the last two months, it hasn't been.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You guys are so weird when you call creators of games greedy.
    All creators of games are out to make money. Only some are routinely labeled as "greedy".
    If you don't understand why, it's doubtful anyone can explain it to you.
    I run a web-based business. Its goal is to make money. However, I do not do everything I could to make the absolute maximum amount of money possible.
    I keep my prices reasonable because I want to make my product accessible to people on lower budgets. I often give things away to people who can't afford them, such as those in poorer countries, or students. I give away things to members of the military. I don't load my pages down with as much advertising as possible, because it would detract from the experience.
    There are many others like me. People who take a long view, who value their customers and doing the right thing, not just the easy thing or the most profitable thing.
    Most famously, the creators of South Park, who could make millions crafting a game like SWGOH using South Park characters, said they would not follow the "freemium fleecing" model because they felt it was wrong.
    This is not a fledgling game put out by a startup. EA made almost a billion dollars in profit last year. SWGOH generates over $1 million a week in revenues. They can afford to listen to their customers and be more generous. There have been a couple of signs recently that they are listening -- the 200 crystal compensation after that bug, bringing back the droid pack for Android without bumping the cost up, and there's supposed to be a giveaway next week. This is good, and worthy of recognition (as I am doing here). But they also have a long, long way to go (in this galaxy, mind you).
  • Options
    Timitock wrote: »

Trolling again I see..
  • Options
    The sole reason I'm 100% F2P is because of EA and CG, not because I'm cheap. When I started playing back in the soft launch in November 2015, I already could see the smoke and mirrors and that convinced me..
  • slmcmr
    875 posts Member
    Options
    All the buffs/nerfs make me think twice before i pay for anything in the game. Since we are about to have a new tuning change and cap increase i won't spend for anything until i see what is happening. Even if i pay to get the characters (bundles, aurodium etc) it takes forever to gear up them to the current cap, and it will take even more after cap increase. The dark days are ahead...
  • Options
    slmcmr wrote: »
    All the buffs/nerfs make me think twice before i pay for anything in the game. Since we are about to have a new tuning change and cap increase i won't spend for anything until i see what is happening. Even if i pay to get the characters (bundles, aurodium etc) it takes forever to gear up them to the current cap, and it will take even more after cap increase. The dark days are ahead...
    I think I have to agree. My wallet, which was spending freely to the tune of 200 dollars, is now slammed shut for good until they convince me that this game is more than a way to make a quick buck
  • Rafini
    299 posts Member
    Options
    No content? I'm also ftp, let me get that out there before anything else. But they said in the developer notes that new cantina battles and light side/dark side batted are coming with the cap increase.

Sure GW may suck for a couple weeks until you level up to around level 75 to be able to compete with level 80 potential teams but it's not a huge deal. How many people realistically will max out at level 80 on day one? Less than 1%. I can't even begin to guess how much money t would cost to be able to buy enough refreshes/gold/training droids to be able to spam sim battles and level up?

The majority of people on these boards seem to be level 70 or close to level 70... And it seems like you all play this game a lot during the day (myself included).. So why should a level increase seem scary when you will likely achieve level 80 on par with the best of them OTHER than those few who can spend thousands needlessly buying training droids and refreshes and gold to be able to uber fast level up.

I do all my refreshes I can with what crystals I earn playing freely and assume in roughly two weeks I'll be level 80. All my characters might not be but that's just a simple grind. When I'm level 80 my characters might be 75. That should be enough to beat most GW and arena teams. And then the new meta won't change until two weeks after the cap increase which is perfect because we will be level 80 by then.. So it's as if the meta happening first doesn't make a difference!