Why we need a sandbox like mode to play in

Prev1
tinetaney
14 posts Member
edited May 2020
Its morning, and my little ones are playing Minecraft and well, I can't watch that game, so I pull out my phone and go into SWGOH. Well i do all my daily things I need to do and then I get the 20 wampa shards for the Galactic Bounties and then I find that I have nothing to do. So about a total of 20 minutes and SWGOH is finished for me this morning.
Last night I unlocked the new Y-Wing and I want to try it out. My Fleet PO isn't for another 9 hours so I can't test it there until my PO time or I will **** off shard mates. I also have Mando and well I can't test him anywhere either.
Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, I talk to says they want a sandbox mode that they can test things in. Something they can play where they can just kill time on days they have the extra time to kill, like this morning for me. Instead of playing the game, I am writing this post. I find this "lacking to do" happens all too often in this game. I am not looking for a mode that will give me rewords. I get them from what the game offers now. I am looking for something I can play the characters I have. I have been playing for 4 years and have a huge roster, but find I am only playing with about 20% of it on a regular basis.
All I can think about is the Q&A where we are told that no one wants this mode and it too expensive (hard??) for them to do it. I know what they are thinking, "well if you don't like it, go somewhere else." Well I don't want to have to. I generally like SWGOH. My favorite part is ships actually. Yeah I know I am a minority LOL. I purposefully don't want to try MSF or other games, cause if I like them its going to be c-ya later SWGOH! I really don't want that.
Please listen to the community and give us something we can test our stuff with and play the game the way we would like to...
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    tinetaney wrote: »
    Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, I talk to says they want a sandbox mode that they can test things in.

That's because you self-select the people you talk to. I don't think you'll find anyone who is outright anti a sandbox mode, but I also think that you'll find the number of people who simoly don't care about it vastly outnumbers the people who want it.

Think about it now, there have been several areas where you can futz with teams in the past--repeatable marquee events (the ones with 5 replays for no rewards), galactic wars, to a degree even raids if you don't care about the rewards. There are a lot of spaces in the game for consequence-free team building. It's not quite the same, of course, but the fact that approximately 0 people used any of those puts a damper on the "there's a massive groundswell" line of thinking.

I don't know how many people are playing this game, but let's say it's only 200,000. It's definitely more, but let's just say it is. How many people do you think will use a sandbox mode if they make one? 2000? 3000? Now how many do you think would use, say, a new raid if it was added. Or a new event. Nearly everyone.

Why spend time working on something that a very, very small percentage of players would use when you can devote that same time to things everyone will use?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • I think you are totally incorrect. These modes you are talking about are limited. So you can use Mando in the Malak event? Show me this. Which one of those modes can you go up against teams that I see in my arena shard that has over 20 GLs now. I am sorry but the modes you are talking about do nothing other than nostalgia. Go in and do Yoda event with relic characters. Everything is one shot. GW doesn't even have proper teams. You have random characters just thrown together, and again they are not set up to handle Relic characters.
    Look at how many people don't like 3v3. I personally like it, but the problem is that people never get to test and familiarize 3v3 teams until the 3v3 GAC comes around. Only thing you can do is a LS or DS or MOD battle, and again its not going to be against relic characters with the mods you will face in a 3v3.
    So what you are telling me is that you don't sim any of the battles including GW to fill your time.
    Personally I think you are dead wrong.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Pile wrote: »
    I firmly believe the lack of content is intentional and part of their financial strategy.

Having people not in the game constantly also reduces burnout. Why does everything have to be framed as a scary conspiracy?

It's healthy to take a break from a game. If you feel the need to have your face constantly buried in a video game, seriously re-examine your life. Games are great, I love them. I woke up at 6:00, I had my stuff done by 6:40 or so while listening to a podcast. But I'm done now. I'll pick the game back up around noon to get my bonus energy and spend down so that I don't cap out at 6:30. But that's it. It's okay to put the game down! Read a book, whittle a spoon, find a hobby!
  • NicWester wrote: »
    I firmly believe the lack of content is intentional and part of their financial strategy.

Having people not in the game constantly also reduces burnout. Why does everything have to be framed as a scary conspiracy?

It's healthy to take a break from a game. If you feel the need to have your face constantly buried in a video game, seriously re-examine your life. Games are great, I love them. I woke up at 6:00, I had my stuff done by 6:40 or so while listening to a podcast. But I'm done now. I'll pick the game back up around noon to get my bonus energy and spend down so that I don't cap out at 6:30. But that's it. It's okay to put the game down! Read a book, whittle a spoon, find a hobby!

I get it, but at the same time when you can complete everything in 20 minutes...
    Look I am looking for a mode that you can play when you have the extra time. Something that you can use your roster for to strengthen you ability to do GAC and so forth. Not something that requires you to have to play all the time...
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »

Its not a conspiracy theory, its actually a very sound financial strategy. Giving the consumer what they desire with minimal effort. There are people who want to immerse themselves in a game and that's fine for them. You may not take the same approach to gaming and thats fine for you but, that doesn't mean the other group doesn't exist.

Yeah, but it also doesn't mean you're right. It might just be that you're playing the wrong game. For example, if I went on a forum and said that I didn't like Madden because I thouht the story was weak and there were no real character arcs, wouldn't you think, "Okay, sure, but this game isn't about that."

If there are people who want to immerse themselves in a game, that's great, I've played hundreds of hours of Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, the four Mass Effect titles, and the two most recent Saints Rows. I'm a fan of being immersed in games! ...But Galaxy of Heroes isn't an immersive game. It's a great game that I genuinely love and enjoy playing, don't get me wrong--but it's not meant to be immersive and adding immersion for a very small number of players instead of adding content for all players isn't a great idea.

As I said, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who is anti-sandbox. There are no "We don't want this, don't add it!" threads. But there are so many people who don't care, and if you asked "would you rather have a sandbox or something else" they'll pick something else without even knowing what it'd be.
    These modes you are talking about are limited. So you can use Mando in the Malak event? Show me this.

This isn't what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is when they do a marquee event you are given 5 chances in each tier, per day, to use nearly any team you can think of. They used to have repeatable bonus tiers where you could use any team, but I can't remember the last time that happened. Those specifically and explicitly had teams that you would often see in arena. I don't know why they stopped--I could make a guess, but that'd be total speculation.
  • Well obviously you work for CG or you just don't get it. Sigh...
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Because any opposing opinion = works for cg
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nope. Not at all. It’s the ignoring my point and making an example with something that has nothing to do with it. I mean even that stupid Mickey Mouse game has a sandboxish pvp mode in it.
    Sorry for wanting more from a game I enjoy that has also mad a billion from us.
    Obviously you have absolutely no issues with this game. I am happy for you...
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Nope. Not at all. It’s the ignoring my point and making an example with something that has nothing to do with it. I mean even that stupid Mickey Mouse game has a sandboxish pvp mode in it.

Thanks, but untrue.
  • Nope all true... sorry you can’t see that.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    I have issues with the game.

Dev tracker should be used again.
    Stun guns should be a little more accessible.
    Wat and KAM shards should be doubled the way IPD and ROLO initially were.
    HAAT should be simmable and I'd like a new raid.

So yeah, not true at all.
  • littleMAC77
    2397 posts Member
    Nope. Not at all. It’s the ignoring my point and making an example with something that has nothing to do with it. I mean even that stupid Mickey Mouse game has a sandboxish pvp mode in it.

calling a live PVP arena where you are competing for prizes and rank is absolutely not a sandbox mode. Sure, it is a mode that you can play endlessly, but you have no control over opposing team, and you choose your team before matcmaking. It has barely 1 element of the many that have described a sanbox mode on this forum.

A sandbox mode would be cool, but not really worth the time that could be spent on a mode with rewards that would thus work on the gear crunch. Or a raid. Or even live pvp (not that i am really a fan of that).
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Well just so you know. Someone renamed this thread. Actually I am looking for a game mode that I can try different combinations of teams against comparable teams.
    People suggest replaying events in the Journey guide, but then you are limited to the prerequisites in those events. The GW has hog pog teams that a single relic character and solo. LS, DS, MOD, and Cantina battles again are based on pre relic and legendary characters.
    My arena is full of GL teams that have all different combinations that are trying to make it impossible for non GL teams to beat them. There is no way to practice against them unless you want to spend all your crystals refreshing in the SA.
    I am running up against them a lot in my GACs too. I typically am going up against players that are 500k to 1m gp higher than me. No sure why this is, but it is what it is. I have to take what I have and try to win against these players with much deeper rosters. I know I am not the only one that has to do this.
    And before people say I need to just go and get the GL characters... I am not a fan of the GL characters. I didn't like them in the movies and don't want to have to farm useless characters to get them in game.
    In the end, a mode that has endless play against comparable teams would be just great! Even a mode that pits you up against previous GAC teams would be fine.
    A lot of these games have something like this, just asking if we could have something similar in this game.
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    You could pay money to 7* and R7 your new ships and characters that way you could reasonably test them in the arenas, but I’m guessing that would be too expensive :smile:
  • LOL well I am glad you have that kind of money to burn Scuttle. I guess 1 billion isn't enough for CG...
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    LOL well I am glad you have that kind of money to burn Scuttle. I guess 1 billion isn't enough for CG...

Lol I was making a joke. I don’t have that kind of money to basically create my own sandbox.
  • Yeah, it is not a money issue, its motivation and age.

Motivation:

They have some motivation to improve, but not enough to give the majority of older players what they want.

The "day 1" player base is also highly critical of the game. There is simply not alot to do anymore, and its glaringly obvious.

On the age of the game. It is often compared to another similar title which is much newer. I'm sure the newer title is built on entirely different architecture with different intent from the beginning. Thus, SWGOH may never have been intended as a sandbox type game while the other title has always been intended as such.

SWGOH has definitely evolved, but I believe CG fully when they say they need time to develop tools for the games further development.

I don't think a sandbox mode is off the table. However, I am sure it is a long, long ways away if so.

Again, saying its a money issue is ****.

I fully agree, I would also love to have a sandbox mode.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Yeah, it is not a money issue, its motivation and age.

Motivation:

They have some motivation to improve, but not enough to give the majority of older players what they want.

The "day 1" player base is also highly critical of the game. There is simply not alot to do anymore, and its glaringly obvious.

On the age of the game. It is often compared to another similar title which is much newer. I'm sure the newer title is built on entirely different architecture with different intent from the beginning. Thus, SWGOH may never have been intended as a sandbox type game while the other title has always been intended as such.

SWGOH has definitely evolved, but I believe CG fully when they say they need time to develop tools for the games further development.

I don't think a sandbox mode is off the table. However, I am sure it is a long, long ways away if so.

in all honesty they never said it was a money issue. by expensive they meant development time.
  • umm... A billion dollars?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    ZAP wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

Motivation:

in all honesty they never said it was a money issue. by expensive they meant development time.

Which is ultimately a money issue. 🤷‍♂️

Nope.
  • littleMAC77
    2397 posts Member

Motivation:

Nope.

C'mon Kyno, don't be dense here. Pretty much every business decision is a money issue at its core because the purpose is to make money. You are correct that it is a resource issue in terms of developer time and where to use it, however if this was a priority that had a good ROI they could justify hiring more staff. If they thought the return was worth the cost (whether the measure that in player satisfaction, engagement, or spending), they would either use some of the existing time or make more time by hiring.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Motivation:

Nope.

C'mon Kyno, don't be dense here. Pretty much every business decision is a money issue at its core because the purpose is to make money. You are correct that it is a resource issue in terms of developer time and where to use it, however if this was a priority that had a good ROI they could justify hiring more staff. If they thought the return was worth the cost (whether the measure that in player satisfaction, engagement, or spending), they would either use some of the existing time or make more time by hiring.

I'm not the one being dense. We are not talking about business in general, we are talking about what someone said and what they meant.

Companies not matter what the size have projects or customers that could offer them "any amount of money" and it doesnt change the fact that it could be a bad choice due to the reality of the situation.

No that's just not always true. If they couldnt keep outputting content at some rate and get this done, hiring (which takes more dev time in training) doesnt help the situation, in any immediate sense. How long would this need to be a project, how long does this lower the amount of dev time that can be put into "normal day to day".

We are starting to see some of this bleed into reality from something that is supposed to help put out more stuff. Now if they tried to "force" something like this into the schedule, it could do the sma thing.