My problems with clash on kamino unknowns

Falco3
60 posts Member
So I get that there is no such thing as event cadence and because COK came every 70 days or so doesn't mean it's going to this time. So the event date is a complete unknown.

Here's the problem of leaving the event date an unknown:

1) I've been ready for a month, the excitement of waiting for GAS has been too much so I've actually disengaged with the game. I don't do arena anymore, I haven't been doing GAC, and my tb/tw participation is minimal. I've found I don't care about the game anymore until I get GAS. Ive started playing other games instead.

2) this is the big f2p unlock. So it's both a slap to the face for those that spent six months grinding for the event. Frustrating to wait after all this time and not know at all when it's back.

3) I think the longer it drags the less people will spend on unlocking. Most people that want gas were trying to get ready for early-mid May. So there will be no last minute spending from a huge chunk of players.

To sum up keeping the event date secret creates: disengagement of some players, frustration for those that have been on an extremely long grind, and likely fewer people that will spend last minute on the event.

The question is why is the 'surprise mechanic' of event dates helpful to the game and bottom line?

Replies

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    #FirstWorldProblems
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Because all the reasons you just stated, just veiewed from the other side....

Disengagement from the game aside, because that is not related to a single character. I doubt there is nothing you could be working on for many of the other game modes besides arena.

Committed players will see what you are saying and push harder to get it earlier next time to avoid the wait.

On the "wait means less spending", I'm sure they have data analysis on the curve and have a point where it less of a concern, and they are happy with the model they have.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    sabotaging yourself seems like the least helpful way to be upset he's not back yet imo
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • I dont think its self sabotage. Honestly I feel the same exact way. Grinded for so long and have been ready for so long. Beginning it was alright bc the anticipation was high and I really thought it was going to be soon around may 4th. Now I'm like whatever, but I feel like I'm starting to not care about the game as much bc of it. Not intentionally but just bc I'm saving everything for the event and I don't wanna gear anyone just in case. So I'm sitting on a stockpile of resources with nothing to spend them on. Yeah there are other aspects of the game I still play but its just getting to the point of subconscious disengaging from the game.
  • Pat_riot wrote: »
    I dont think its self sabotage. Honestly I feel the same exact way. Grinded for so long and have been ready for so long. Beginning it was alright bc the anticipation was high and I really thought it was going to be soon around may 4th. Now I'm like whatever, but I feel like I'm starting to not care about the game as much bc of it. Not intentionally but just bc I'm saving everything for the event and I don't wanna gear anyone just in case. So I'm sitting on a stockpile of resources with nothing to spend them on. Yeah there are other aspects of the game I still play but its just getting to the point of subconscious disengaging from the game.

I feel you
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    For every person that is upset he isn’t here yet there is another who is excited they have the extra days to farm.
  • Falco3
    60 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    #FirstWorldProblems

#VideoGameProblems posted in a video game forum

• Falco3
    60 posts Member
    For every person that is upset he isn’t here yet there is another who is excited they have the extra days to farm.

I believe that's true for the first couple. I'm not sure that's the case at this point. Those that are excited because it's later than some expected are probably not nearly as disengaged is it comes early as those that are waiting indefinitely.

I agree I think their business model is built partly on this 'surprise mechanic' and they must think it encourages spending. I wonder if they know it encourages people to download and invest in the competition.
  • Falco3 wrote: »

I believe that's true for the first couple. I'm not sure that's the case at this point. Those that are excited because it's later than some expected are probably not nearly as disengaged is it comes early as those that are waiting indefinitely.

I agree I think their business model is built partly on this 'surprise mechanic' and they must think it encourages spending. I wonder if they know it encourages people to download and invest in the competition.

There is a very large group of new players that have come into the game in the last several months. For a while earlier this year we were seeing about 50 new accounts buying the hyperdrive bundle per day. A lot of those players will be spending to try and get GAS quickly. So it’s not just a 3rd time around thing.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Pat_riot wrote: »
    I dont think its self sabotage. Honestly I feel the same exact way. Grinded for so long and have been ready for so long. Beginning it was alright bc the anticipation was high and I really thought it was going to be soon around may 4th. Now I'm like whatever, but I feel like I'm starting to not care about the game as much bc of it. Not intentionally but just bc I'm saving everything for the event and I don't wanna gear anyone just in case. So I'm sitting on a stockpile of resources with nothing to spend them on. Yeah there are other aspects of the game I still play but its just getting to the point of subconscious disengaging from the game.

I mean, if you stop playing then it wasn't self-sabotaging your game I guess
  • It’s funny you guys haven’t realized CG likes to play 2 ways: either very few players have them that were willing to pay at the start, or majority of players have them.

At this point, they’ve already decided that most of the people that want GAS have already farmed and won’t be whaling $$ so they’re gonna make us all wait.

There was a time with malak it turned from the usual 60 days or so to 120 something. This is the same point we are in right now. Don’t expect it in June.
  • littleMAC77
    2397 posts Member
    It’s funny you guys haven’t realized CG likes to play 2 ways: either very few players have them that were willing to pay at the start, or majority of players have them.

At this point, they’ve already decided that most of the people that want GAS have already farmed and won’t be whaling $$ so they’re gonna make us all wait.

There was a time with malak it turned from the usual 60 days or so to 120 something. This is the same point we are in right now. Don’t expect it in June.

This theory would sound plausible...if it weren't for the fact that Malak went 4 months between 1st and second run.

What it really seems like is this: CG brought back GAS early for Christmas events, and then again to celebrate CW season 7. Now they might be dropping back towards the more "regular" event cadence of every 3 months, which would lead to the event coming back sometime in the next 3 weeks.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • jstehly
    108 posts Member
    I hear you, I barely missed GAS last time around. I have been ready since mid-March, but have lost interest now. I'm not going to invest a lot in GAS once I unlock him. I'm working towards Galactic Legend Rey now.
  • I have been sitting waiting, and probably would have spent some to gear him up. If it keeps up with the lack of knowing and dragging this out the only people making money off it is Glu, from all the people defecting over to DSA and spending there.
  • Unknownsoldier
    7 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    It’s funny you guys haven’t realized CG likes to play 2 ways: either very few players have them that were willing to pay at the start, or majority of players have them.

This theory would sound plausible...if it weren't for the fact that Malak went 4 months between 1st and second run.

What it really seems like is this: CG brought back GAS early for Christmas events, and then again to celebrate CW season 7. Now they might be dropping back towards the more "regular" event cadence of every 3 months, which would lead to the event coming back sometime in the next 3 weeks.

You missed the point. It doesn’t matter if the 120 days was between the 1st and 2nd run for malak and now it’s the 3rd and 4th run here. I’m saying CG is all about $$$$ it may have been a lot of people whaled during the 1st run of malak so they tried to prolong their “golden time” of just them having it.

For sure they know a majority of f2p players have the toons necessary for GAS unlock this time around so they will prolong the “golden time” for the whalers as much as they can.

EDIT: oh and your 90 day regular cadence is not in 3 weeks btw. It’s next week. Today is the 83rd day according to swgohevents.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    will this be the 3rd or 4thtime he's come around

so this will be the fourth time.
  • littleMAC77
    2397 posts Member

You missed the point. It doesn’t matter if the 120 days was between the 1st and 2nd run for malak and now it’s the 3rd and 4th run here. I’m saying CG is all about $$$$ it may have been a lot of people whaled during the 1st run of malak so they tried to prolong their “golden time” of just them having it.

For sure they know a majority of f2p players have the toons necessary for GAS unlock this time around so they will prolong the “golden time” for the whalers as much as they can.

EDIT: oh and your 90 day regular cadence is not in 3 weeks btw. It’s next week. Today is the 83rd day according to swgohevents.

3 weeks is to give a buffer on each side of 90. Sometimes events came back in 100 days, sometimes 77 days, but they usually fell around 3 months.

Besides that point, the first run of an evemt is really for those that spend. A small fraction of smart F2P will unlock the 1st run, but for the majority of F2P the 2nd run is where you unlock. The third run is usually the last time an event like this is important, as it is generally followed closely by the new meta. This is the 4th run.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    I remember when I had to wait for Thrawn to come back....
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • SithVicious
    1283 posts Member
    OP, how’s your GAS supporting cast? I don’t know, but you could be working on the 501st clones during the wait. They’re worth it without him and GAS will be more useful when you do unlock him.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.