Thank you for more crewless ships

littleMAC77
2397 posts Member
Since we don't get enough of the thankful threads around here, I would like to thank CG for another crewless ship to help us fill out fleets for all our Capital ships. This helps us, the players, develop more fleets without adding to the gear crunch so I thank you for that.
Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q

Replies

• I think this is all tied together with their plan to increase the defensive fleet spots in GAC. Since people will be placing 2 defenses at some point and will need 2 for offense, CG wants to make it a bit more interesting and diverse. Now with these 2 new ships it shakes up the teams a little bit and creates some interesting interactions between each other in terms of countering.
    And yeah, I agree, crewless ships are really nice to see, well done. Gotta give credit where it's due.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    I love crewless ships!
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    I do love the crewless ships.
  • CadoaBane
    563 posts Member
    Crewless ships which are no droid ships are just lame. Of course the lazy players who want to have everything instantly without the need to manage their resources, love them.
  • TheJEFFtm
    917 posts Member
    I’ve expressed it before, but my problem with crewless ships (besides being lazy design - except where appropriate like the vulture and Hyena -and a missed opportunity to also bring more playable characters to the game) is two-fold.

They are capped at a single ‘gear’ source, which means they are likely to be left behind in the long term as power creep increases crews level/relics/gear, and any future updates to bring them back in line with updated levels means that they will also probably be a Relatively ‘quick and easy’ upgrade, which means they will jump back to the top without the same investment required in a piloted ship.

That relatively easy cap means much less granulation throughout fleets, where you don’t have to grind gear/relics/mods means identical stats achieved much sooner and more widespread across the fleets. And identical stats means identical speeds, which means more RNG “coin flips” to determine the battle’s course - that effects strategy and tactical planning to determine the battle, and makes it more reliant on luck -not an ideal situation for a strategy game.

I don’t hate crewless ships, I’m just afraid that they are painting themselves into a corner in the long term, while trying to provide a short term balancing fix.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    Crewless ships which are no droid ships are just lame. Of course the lazy players who want to have everything instantly without the need to manage their resources, love them.

nmehu15.jpg

Can you really be gatekeeping on the idea of not having to funnel gear into a crap ground character just to use their ship? Go outside once in a while, jeez.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• littleMAC77
    2397 posts Member
    Can we keep the tone in this thread more positive please? you don't have to agree with the idea, but if you disagree could you atleast keep it civil and propose a thoughtful counter argument like TheJEFFtm?

I respect the uneasiness JEFF, and I will join you in it if this trend continues much past a ship per faction. I feel like we need a quick fix to ship numbers first, and then can work out more pilot characters later. SHips for useful characters would also be nice.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • TVF
    36589 posts Member
    I like crewless ships because they take less food and water, housing space, etc.

Robots have always been better than humans, and this is the next step in ships.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36589 posts Member
    ZAP wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    I like crewless ships because they take less food and water, housing space, etc.

Skynet CEO confirmed

I knew it!

Skynet CEO was human.

So I can't be Skynet CEO.
  • Only the vulture & bomber droid ships should have been crewless - they are droids after all.
    All CG is doing with these other new crewless ships is showing how pointless the toon/ship progression was before the whole concept of "crewless ships" was introduced. Other than capital ships, what was the last ship with a crew we received? Emperor's Shuttle, I think? That was ages ago. It feels like soon you will be able to stage a competitive ship squad without having to farm/gear someone like Plo Koon or Cad Bane.
  • I like crewless ships, as if it’s a ship I want, I don’t have to gear up a character I may not want to.
    I have a bad feeling about this.
  • Jarvind wrote: »

nmehu15.jpg

Can you really be gatekeeping on the idea of not having to funnel gear into a crap ground character just to use their ship? Go outside once in a while, jeez.
    You are the one who seems to take it personal, not me, we don't know each other and your assumption is wasted here. ;)
    There are players who have invested in ships and pilots from the beginning, thereby deserving their top spots in fleet arena without the need of mirror matches that can't be dominated anymore by better geared pilots. I wonder what people would say if they started to add characters to squad arena that can't wear gear and mods, but are as static? It just changes the whole idea of more investment into certain characters for a certain purpose.

• CadoaBane wrote: »
    Jarvind wrote: »

nmehu15.jpg

You are the one who seems to take it personal, not me, we don't know each other and your assumption is wasted here. ;)
    There are players who have invested in ships and pilots from the beginning, thereby deserving their top spots in fleet arena without the need of mirror matches that can't be dominated anymore by better geared pilots. I wonder what people would say if they started to add characters to squad arena that can't wear gear and mods, but are as static? It just changes the whole idea of more investment into certain characters for a certain purpose.

Your argument only works until you have totally maxed a ship and its pilot. It is already possible to get un-differentiated battles in fleet if both players have full R7 and 6e mods.
  • Vuk
    32 posts Member
    Keep them coming CG. FO and Resistance tanks next
  • CadoaBane wrote: »
    Jarvind wrote: »

nmehu15.jpg

Your argument only works until you have totally maxed a ship and its pilot. It is already possible to get un-differentiated battles in fleet if both players have full R7 and 6e mods.
    That's theoretically true but the reality is that a lot of people just don't gear many pilots that high, especially those who don't care too much about fleets in general. Which gives those who do care a deserved advantage, e.g. never dropping out of the top 20. Therefore people who highly invest in fleet pilots have a disadvantage at some other game mode and others characters missing, but that's okay as it's all about choices and recource management.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member

Skynet CEO confirmed

I knew it!

Skynet CEO was human.

That sounds like something an AI would say
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Since we don't get enough of the thankful threads around here, I would like to thank CG for another crewless ship to help us fill out fleets for all our Capital ships. This helps us, the players, develop more fleets without adding to the gear crunch so I thank you for that.

I just like that it dominates some rebels. That will help in GAC and wars
  • I agree that in terms of the quality of the game, too many crew less ships could be damaging. But as me, it's great! I don't need an extra 330 toon shards, 5mil regular credits, mods and endless toon gear just to get a SHIP in the air.

I think there can be a balance. No one is suggesting, for example, that Red 5 would be crewless. As long as there are some pilots in the game (I suspect there will and I'm willing to rule out the existence of a crewless cap ship), there will be an advantage for players who invest in fleet through pilots.
    Identical crewless ships+well geared pilots > identical crewless ships+under geared pilots.
  • I think they are doing a good job of balancing out the fleet requirements by doing this. It's fair enough each faction should get a crewless ship to make the effort of getting a fleet of your choice up to speed more even.

Now which bounty hunter ship is basically a big Droid... oops.
  • TVF
    36589 posts Member
    ShaggyB wrote: »

Skynet CEO confirmed

I knew it!

Skynet CEO was human.

That sounds like something an AI would say

Have you ever heard the tale of Ric Olie the Observant?