Top 2 GAC Kyber spots.... really?

Prev13
Kurgen
226 posts Member
Is it just me or does anyone else think there is an issue with the top 2 div 1 Kyber spots being held by rosters that seem a little thin????

Replies

• You get matched base on the gp of your top 80 chars,they have some relics but the gp is spread evenly over like 130 character and when they get matched up they will not get high gas or gl players,they are matched with others that have a similar roster.
  • Kurgen
    226 posts Member
    Yeah I understand how the matching works.... not much of a championship having 2nd rate rosters winning it though. After the first round, they should be matching to where you are on the leaderboard.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    You clearly do not understand how the GAC tournament format works.
  • Kurgen wrote: »
    Yeah I understand how the matching works.... not much of a championship having 2nd rate rosters winning it though. After the first round, they should be matching to where you are on the leaderboard.

People gaming the system is all it is. There are many that would love to continue building their rosters but don't so that they can game the current system and continue to get easy GAC wins. This is also why I have chosen not to be part of the leaderboards game. Personally, I'd rather have fun with my roster than not doing anything to it and just hoard everything.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    The best players in a division are not necessarily the ones with the most GP.

If I drive a Ferrari and you drive a Honda Civic and I best you in a race, that does not necessarily make me the better driver.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

That kind of goes without saying really.
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    If I drive a Ferrari and you drive a Honda Civic and I best you in a race, that does not necessarily make me the better driver.

Those 2 shouldn't be in the same race together. When GAC was first announced they made it seem like it would mean something to be first and on top. What we got is if you don't play this very, very linear way, you'll be penalized for it.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

That kind of goes without saying really.
    It ought to but around here it often doesn't seem to.

Those 2 shouldn't be in the same race together. When GAC was first announced they made it seem like it would mean something to be first and on top. What we got is if you don't play this very, very linear way, you'll be penalized for it.
    And what very, very linear way would that be? Because my way is anything but linear, yet I have managed to make Kyber every GAC so far while progressing through four divisions.
  • What are the ally codes? And yours? We have tools to compare rosters, if you post them.
  • What are the ally codes? And yours? We have tools to compare rosters, if you post them.

I've learned the hard way trying to prove anything on these forums so I'll pass, thank you though. I wasn't saying I had a better roster either so not sure how that would change the topic at hand.

And what very, very linear way would that be? Because my way is anything but linear, yet I have managed to make Kyber every GAC so far while progressing through four divisions.

Congrats. That's awesome news and glad you're having a fun time. When I say linear, I'm referring to following CG's path of success and how you are kind of forced to stay on that path if you want to remain competitive and be a leaderboard fanatic. But I don't look at GAC achievements and rankings as a very good indicator on how good someone or their roster is. Just look at what's up there now.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

Congrats. That's awesome news and glad you're having a fun time. When I say linear, I'm referring to following CG's path of success and how you are kind of forced to stay on that path if you want to remain competitive and be a leaderboard fanatic. But I don't look at GAC achievements and rankings as a very good indicator on how good someone or their roster is. Just look at what's up there now.
    And once again, what would that path be exactly?
  • MetaThumper
    496 posts Member
    edited June 2020

And once again, what would that path be exactly?

Yep, that almost sums it up. The part in red isn't exactly true either. A couple well built and high relic'd teams can help your guild do much better in LS&DS Geo TB and territory wars. x1444hze24yg.png
    Post edited by MetaThumper on
  • Hortus
    621 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Kurgen wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else think there is an issue with the top 2 div 1 Kyber spots being held by rosters that seem a little thin????

It may be an artefact of current matchmaking algorithm.

Just for illustration from personal experience - some time ago I got Kyber Pretender title (in the lower division but MM algorithm is still the same) despite following facts at that moment:

1. My guild hadn't access to the Geo TB, while my competitors had
    2. My guild cleared HSTR only several times, while my competitors had it on farm for a long time
    3. Personally I completely neglected separatists/GR squads lineup while it was current trend - my Geos were g10; Padme, GK and Grievous - level 1, etc.

Overall, the structure of my roster was very similar to that players. If I directly fight with most people in the GAC top-100 of my division, I wouldn't have a slightest chance. But since their roster was more top-heavy, they fought between themselves while I was matched only against other people with thinner roster.

Some time after that I started to pursue GLs and place relics on my toons. It had immediate results in the GAC - I never had a chance for such high position since then.

Now look at the roster of those people. Despite being in Div 1 they have very small amount of relics. What it means in terms of matchmaking? They will be NEVER matched against really strong rosters. They will be only matched against other people with similar top-Х GP, while, for example, full-R7 roster fights with each other and therefore have much lesser chance to get ideal scores, pursue feats, etc. That's the possible answer.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Did you even check their GAC history? Currently the top ranks are held by Bus 74 and Attony. Check out Bus 74's GAC history. They seem to consistently win by a large margin with lots of undersized offensive wins. It seems like they play quite skilfully. They deserve a high rank IMO.
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member

Not gonna lie, abhorrent comparison.

Closer would be,
    A whole bunch of people get put into the same class in a race because they all drive Ferraris.
    Then you get put into groups of people you actually race against based off previous performance or any factor you wish, it is largely irrelevant as it is still sub to the Ferrari class you're in.
    And then having the person with the most points, by result of their match ups, holding the position of best Ferrari driver, despite the fact the you obliterate them in time trials.

Don't strawman.
    Don't be that guy.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    Did you even check their GAC history? Currently the top ranks are held by Bus 74 and Attony. Check out Bus 74's GAC history. They seem to consistently win by a large margin with lots of undersized offensive wins. It seems like they play quite skilfully. They deserve a high rank IMO.

Which is a problem for higher GP players. Won't find that Wampa vs Rebels or Kylo vs Carth solos anymore. Div 1 needs to be split into more divisions.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Legend91 wrote: »

Which is a problem for higher GP players. Won't find that Wampa vs Rebels or Kylo vs Carth solos anymore. Div 1 needs to be split into more divisions.

Still, their GAC history prooves some level of skill.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

That's up in the air ah8u1gtp2dvh.png
  • Waqui wrote: »

Still, their GAC history prooves some level of skill.

Yeah, it is pretty funny that we live in a world that insists on argument with valid evidence and then your audience just disregards evidence. And by pretty funny I mean disheartening to people that use critical thinking.
  • Akenno
    538 posts Member

That is exactly how a championship should work!
    It makes zero sense that people with such a roster can easily get #1... MM should be around the same GAC points from the current championship and not with Top-X Chars...
    If you do it with Top-X Chars, only those chars can be used! Not other ones!

I don't know why CG doesn't get it... In every other game, literally every, you get matched against people that got the same points as you. Similar to MMR which is nothing else than GAC points.
    Why can't we get this MM? It is fair and you need to battle good opponents on top of it! We can build up rivals and such... Would make the game way better.
  • biggles
    1144 posts Member
    People will always find an excuse why they're not at the top of the boards
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Akenno wrote: »

It makes zero sense that people with such a roster can easily get #1... MM should be around the same GAC points from the current championship...

Terrible idea. You will see some extremely uneven matches this way - not only during the first GA where everyone start at 0 points. I believe the use of top-X GP and leagues result in more even matches.
    and not with Top-X Chars...

Another terrible idea. Matching by top-X GP is actually pretty close to matching by the GP of the characters the round winners actually use to win a round (in 5v5 div. 1 + 2 at least - I didn't investigate 3v3 cases).
    I don't know why CG doesn't get it...

Maybe they do get it.
  • I hate Bus 74 with a passion, but I gotta admit that he/she built their roster smartly with GAC in mind, not putting relics on lots of toons to have easier matchups. I've been checking their GAC history from time to time and the opponents Bus 74 gets matched up with are a joke. They just exploit the matchmaking to the max, that's all it is. It's not so much skill in terms of fighting that gets Bus such a high GAC rank every single time, but it's the smart way they built their rosters specifically for GAC. I'm not blaming Bus here, as they play by the rules (I hope they do at least), but I'd like to see a change in the MM algo to prevent such playstyles.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

People gaming the system is all it is. There are many that would love to continue building their rosters but don't so that they can game the current system and continue to get easy GAC wins. This is also why I have chosen not to be part of the leaderboards game. Personally, I'd rather have fun with my roster than not doing anything to it and just hoard everything.

wait, people are purposefully not building their rosters so they can get easy GAC wins, which reward resources that are used to build rosters? So they are just going to accumulate tons of slicing mats and gac store credits, but still not upgrade their rosters? What a Machiavellian and, frankly, Edward-ian scheme!
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Waqui wrote: »

It makes zero sense that people with such a roster can easily get #1... MM should be around the same GAC points from the current championship...

Terrible idea. You will see some extremely uneven matches this way - not only during the first GA where everyone start at 0 points. I believe the use of top-X GP and leagues result in more even matches.
    and not with Top-X Chars...

Another terrible idea. Matching by top-X GP is actually pretty close to matching by the GP of the characters the round winners actually use to win a round (in 5v5 div. 1 + 2 at least - I didn't investigate 3v3 cases).
    I don't know why CG doesn't get it...

Maybe they do get it.

Found someone who loves to exploit the current system and will do anything to try and convince others that it's a great system. Give it a break already, you aren't changing minds out here.
  • Pre GL’s I would be inclined to agree, now absolutely not - the system needs a tweak. And I’m a perfect case in point. My roster is pushing 4.9m and it’s very optimised, including 2 GL’s. That means I have 24 G13’s that range from useless (Rose Tico) to decent (both RH’s).

I am regularly matched in GAC with players pushing 6.5 to 7.2m GP - so I am running a GP deficit in the region of 1.6m+. All of which will each have at least 1 GL. Now the GL v GL aspect is fine and in my view is how it should be. But that’s where the issues arise.

The zeta count is lopsided, in some cases my opponents having maybe 45 more zetas. And number of mods across many more toons with speeds in excess of 20+. Rose Tico at relic 5 is worth more GP than a g12 with a zeta WaT Tambor - are they comparable in impact? No.

This is where top X of each roster as an algorithm is flawed - it needs to account for other aspects that reflect roster strength - zeta count, #mods with a speed >20, # 6 dot mods. So a weighted calculation if you will. That will go a long way to ensure GL players square off with one another and avoid then ludicrously lopsided matches I have found myself in.
  • CadoaBane
    563 posts Member
    I hate Bus 74 with a passion, but I gotta admit that he/she built their roster smartly with GAC in mind, not putting relics on lots of toons to have easier matchups. I've been checking their GAC history from time to time and the opponents Bus 74 gets matched up with are a joke. They just exploit the matchmaking to the max, that's all it is. It's not so much skill in terms of fighting that gets Bus such a high GAC rank every single time, but it's the smart way they built their rosters specifically for GAC. I'm not blaming Bus here, as they play by the rules (I hope they do at least), but I'd like to see a change in the MM algo to prevent such playstyles.
    I do blame that playing style because it is what you name it, exploiting the system at cost of overall fun. It's the same with guilds who practice sandbagging to get easier TW match-ups. People should be proud of their rosters and see be rather excited to see how far they get with what they have, not feel "forced" to keep their rosters week only for cheap GAC wins. Of course, it's not against the rules, but the more people play like that, the more the system itself will become obsolete.
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    Thulsadoom wrote: »
    Pre GL’s I would be inclined to agree, now absolutely not - the system needs a tweak. And I’m a perfect case in point. My roster is pushing 4.9m and it’s very optimised, including 2 GL’s. That means I have 24 G13’s that range from useless (Rose Tico) to decent (both RH’s).

I am regularly matched in GAC with players pushing 6.5 to 7.2m GP - so I am running a GP deficit in the region of 1.6m+. All of which will each have at least 1 GL. Now the GL v GL aspect is fine and in my view is how it should be. But that’s where the issues arise.

The zeta count is lopsided, in some cases my opponents having maybe 45 more zetas. And number of mods across many more toons with speeds in excess of 20+. Rose Tico at relic 5 is worth more GP than a g12 with a zeta WaT Tambor - are they comparable in impact? No.

This is where top X of each roster as an algorithm is flawed - it needs to account for other aspects that reflect roster strength - zeta count, #mods with a speed >20, # 6 dot mods. So a weighted calculation if you will. That will go a long way to ensure GL players square off with one another and avoid then ludicrously lopsided matches I have found myself in.

You had me all the way through here until you said the bit about speed. 6e mods are accounted for somewhat in that they have a higher GP than other mods.
    But no, speed of mods should never, ever, ever be factored into match making.

T. Someone who's mods arent all that fast.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Well, the previous system encouraged sandbagging even more. On this one people try a slim lower half of top X as far as I've observed. A matchmaking paradigm that solves this can't be depending on the blunt approaches both total gp and top x gp showcased.
  • Lysandrax wrote: »
    Thulsadoom wrote: »
    Pre GL’s I would be inclined to agree, now absolutely not - the system needs a tweak. And I’m a perfect case in point. My roster is pushing 4.9m and it’s very optimised, including 2 GL’s. That means I have 24 G13’s that range from useless (Rose Tico) to decent (both RH’s).

You had me all the way through here until you said the bit about speed. 6e mods are accounted for somewhat in that they have a higher GP than other mods.
    But no, speed of mods should never, ever, ever be factored into match making.

T. Someone who's mods arent all that fast.

I beg to differ. A recent opponent of mine, had maybe 19 characters all with a speed in excess of 300 - not including GL’s. I think I have maybe 6, possibly 7. That is a massive disadvantage- with secondary speed rolls being less frequent now versus vanilla mods, this where the gulf of 1.6m+ GP starts to bite.

I am not concerned in the slightest about gaps of 300k - 600k - but when it’s pushing 1.6m+ it really starts to bite.