Top 2 GAC Kyber spots.... really?

13Next

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    [...]
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

And what very, very linear way would that be? Because my way is anything but linear, yet I have managed to make Kyber every GAC so far while progressing through four divisions.

Congrats. That's awesome news and glad you're having a fun time. When I say linear, I'm referring to following CG's path of success and how you are kind of forced to stay on that path if you want to remain competitive and be a leaderboard fanatic. But I don't look at GAC achievements and rankings as a very good indicator on how good someone or their roster is. Just look at what's up there now.

So, you claim that CG created a path of success which competitive players and "leaderboard fanatics" are forced into? Yet, here you are discussing that apparently there are more ways to be competitive and reach the top of the GAC leaderboards. Do you always contradict yourself like this? Or do you simply have a hard time deciding what you actually mean?

What are talking about? Where did I say there are more ways to be competitive and reach top spots in GAC leaderboards? To maintain that position you have play a linear way, one way. This is common knowledge and has been brought up several times in this thread by others already.

You said it right here:
    [...]

And what very, very linear way would that be? Because my way is anything but linear, yet I have managed to make Kyber every GAC so far while progressing through four divisions.

Congrats. That's awesome news and glad you're having a fun time. When I say linear, I'm referring to following CG's path of success and how you are kind of forced to stay on that path if you want to remain competitive and be a leaderboard fanatic. But I don't look at GAC achievements and rankings as a very good indicator on how good someone or their roster is. Just look at what's up there now.

You're saying weak rosters can get to the top of GAC leaderboard. It's right there.

You're contradicting yourself.

• I don't know about div 1-2 but that division 3 champion guy has a pretty nice roster.....
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    I highly doubt that CG aim to make completely even matches. I doubt that removing the incentive to build your roster stronger (and hence also the incentive to spend money) fits their business model.
    Even if they wanted to, it's a completely unrealistic goal. Between the complexity of individual kits, the potential interactions between characters, the variance in mods and the differences in player skill the only possible way to achieve a "completely even match" is to have each player play themselves! And even then RNG would make the match uneven. :D
  • Kurgen
    226 posts Member
    I don't know about div 1-2 but that division 3 champion guy has a pretty nice roster.....

Pretty telling when you seem to have a better roster in div 3 than the guy at the top of div 1.... Looks like his roster is what should be matched with you.

Lol. Nice work though.
  • Not at all. I'm saying that the people that are at the top should be the best players in that division, but as it is now, that isn't possible. I think enough has been shared to leave this case behind. You all take care and keep kicking rear.

I'm sorry, but from the picture you posted and Bus 74's guild mate's comment, they managed to achieve better results with an inferior roster but hardworking. That sounds like the definition of a better player to me.

I'm also sorry that you entirely missed the point of this thread and it flew completely over your head like a 747.
    [...]

So, you claim that CG created a path of success which competitive players and "leaderboard fanatics" are forced into? Yet, here you are discussing that apparently there are more ways to be competitive and reach the top of the GAC leaderboards. Do you always contradict yourself like this? Or do you simply have a hard time deciding what you actually mean?

What are talking about? Where did I say there are more ways to be competitive and reach top spots in GAC leaderboards? To maintain that position you have play a linear way, one way. This is common knowledge and has been brought up several times in this thread by others already.

You said it right here:
    [...]

You're saying weak rosters can get to the top of GAC leaderboard. It's right there.

Um, no. I said you have to play a very linear way to do it and that has been already proven in here. Don't embarrass yourself even more now k. It's apparent you want to go in circles over this for whatever reason but there is no need. It was brought up, it was proven and yet here you are still trying to make something if it.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Um, no. I said you have to play a very linear way to do it and that has been already proven in here.
    Here ya go. Top 6 rows of my roster. Now you tell me what the pattern is...
    56ny2eevv8my.png
    b4ywv9yzwc6t.png

I finished in the 150s this GAC but if I had not made some mistakes and lost an entirely winnable early match, that would have put me in the top 30.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Not at all. I'm saying that the people that are at the top should be the best players in that division, but as it is now, that isn't possible. I think enough has been shared to leave this case behind. You all take care and keep kicking rear.

I'm sorry, but from the picture you posted and Bus 74's guild mate's comment, they managed to achieve better results with an inferior roster but hardworking. That sounds like the definition of a better player to me.

I'm also sorry that you entirely missed the point of this thread and it flew completely over your head like a 747.
    [...]

You said it right here:
    [...]

Um, no. I said you have to play a very linear way to do it and that has been already proven in here.

At the same time you point out that the top ranking players in this GAC div. 1 didn't develop their rosters the same way. Bus 74's guild leader's post proves, that he doesn't follow that same "linear path" which you claim everyone is forced to follow if they wish to be competitive.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Not at all. I'm saying that the people that are at the top should be the best players in that division, but as it is now, that isn't possible. I think enough has been shared to leave this case behind. You all take care and keep kicking rear.

[...]

You said it right here:
    [...]

At the same time you point out that the top ranking players' rosters are different.

Bus 74's roster proves that he doesn't follow that same "linear path" you claim everyone is forced to follow to be competitive and rank high on leaderboards.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    56ny2eevv8my.png
    b4ywv9yzwc6t.png

I finished in the 150s this GAC but if I had not made some mistakes and lost an entirely winnable early match, that would have put me in the top 30.

And I'm in the same division as you and would likely beat you, and finished like 400th in kyber (granted my 1 loss was before I had Rey). So why should you get better rewards or matches?

btntln5c6nxu.jpg

3q2bz7u9361g.jpg

• MetaThumper
    496 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    56ny2eevv8my.png
    b4ywv9yzwc6t.png

That's easy buddy, low relic levels. Oh by the way(and not part of this thread topic), it's a crime in all 50 states to have 4m+ GP with a g11 Thrawn. Lol
    Post edited by MetaThumper on
  • Kurgen wrote: »
    I don't know about div 1-2 but that division 3 champion guy has a pretty nice roster.....

Pretty telling when you seem to have a better roster in div 3 than the guy at the top of div 1.... Looks like his roster is what should be matched with you.

Lol. Nice work though.

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    56ny2eevv8my.png
    b4ywv9yzwc6t.png

That's easy buddy, low relic levels. Oh by the way(and not part of this thread topic), it's a crime in all 51 states to have 4m+ GP with a g11 Thrawn. Lol
    Wrong.

Oh and by the way, Thrawn was g9 until quite recently but not for any reason you would understand. LOL.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    thedrjojo wrote: »
    56ny2eevv8my.png
    b4ywv9yzwc6t.png

And I'm in the same division as you and would likely beat you, and finished like 400th in kyber (granted my 1 loss was before I had Rey). So why should you get better rewards or matches?

btntln5c6nxu.jpg

3q2bz7u9361g.jpg
    The difference in rewards isn't that great and you are matched against opponents who have similar top {x} GP, the same as I am. How you allocate that GP is entirely up to you.
  • I'm also sorry that you entirely missed the point of this thread and it flew completely over your head like a 747.

So this is OP:
    Is it just me or does anyone else think there is an issue with the top 2 div 1 Kyber spots being held by rosters that seem a little thin????

You tell me what the point of this thread is according to the OP. If it is the same point you are trying to make, I don't see how I'm missing it, it being "look, such a thin roster actually made it to the top."

If it is not the same as the point you are trying to make, the least you could do to keep yourself honest would be to say "you missed my point", instead self-promoting your point to "the point of this thread".

Assuming the latter, it is possible that I did miss your point. Although then I don't know what point you were trying to make by posting the "OMG look at all the reds in Bus 74's stats and all the greens in mine" comparison. It sure spoke better than a thousand words all right. I'm just not sure it spoke the words you thought it would.
  • Thulsadoom wrote: »
    Pre GL’s I would be inclined to agree, now absolutely not - the system needs a tweak. And I’m a perfect case in point. My roster is pushing 4.9m and it’s very optimised, including 2 GL’s. That means I have 24 G13’s that range from useless (Rose Tico) to decent (both RH’s).

I am regularly matched in GAC with players pushing 6.5 to 7.2m GP - so I am running a GP deficit in the region of 1.6m+. All of which will each have at least 1 GL. Now the GL v GL aspect is fine and in my view is how it should be. But that’s where the issues arise.

The zeta count is lopsided, in some cases my opponents having maybe 45 more zetas. And number of mods across many more toons with speeds in excess of 20+. Rose Tico at relic 5 is worth more GP than a g12 with a zeta WaT Tambor - are they comparable in impact? No.

This is where top X of each roster as an algorithm is flawed - it needs to account for other aspects that reflect roster strength - zeta count, #mods with a speed >20, # 6 dot mods. So a weighted calculation if you will. That will go a long way to ensure GL players square off with one another and avoid then ludicrously lopsided matches I have found myself in.

That sounds a lot like me except the GL part. I have a lot of relic levels on the toons I love and enjoy and have been punished severely for it. But it's ok, I actually enjoy playing with them all in various modes and can still average 2/3 in gac going up against GL owners without a GAS or Malak.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Thulsadoom wrote: »
    Lysandrax wrote: »
    Pre GL’s I would be inclined to agree, now absolutely not - the system needs a tweak. And I’m a perfect case in point. My roster is pushing 4.9m and it’s very optimised, including 2 GL’s. That means I have 24 G13’s that range from useless (Rose Tico) to decent (both RH’s).

I am regularly matched in GAC with players pushing 6.5 to 7.2m GP - so I am running a GP deficit in the region of 1.6m+. All of which will each have at least 1 GL. Now the GL v GL aspect is fine and in my view is how it should be. But that’s where the issues arise.

The zeta count is lopsided, in some cases my opponents having maybe 45 more zetas. And number of mods across many more toons with speeds in excess of 20+. Rose Tico at relic 5 is worth more GP than a g12 with a zeta WaT Tambor - are they comparable in impact? No.

[]
    This is where top X of each roster as an algorithm is flawed - it needs to account for other aspects that reflect roster strength - zeta count, #mods with a speed >20, # 6 dot mods. So a weighted calculation if you will. That will go a long way to ensure GL players square off with one another and avoid then ludicrously lopsided matches I have found myself in.

You had me all the way through here until you said the bit about speed. 6e mods are accounted for somewhat in that they have a higher GP than other mods.
    But no, speed of mods should never, ever, ever be factored into match making.

T. Someone who's mods arent all that fast.

I beg to differ. A recent opponent of mine, had maybe 19 characters all with a speed in excess of 300 - not including GL’s. I think I have maybe 6, possibly 7. That is a massive disadvantage- with secondary speed rolls being less frequent now versus vanilla mods, this where the gulf of 1.6m+ GP starts to bite.

I am not concerned in the slightest about gaps of 300k - 600k - but when it’s pushing 1.6m+ it really starts to bite.

So, your problem would be solved if division 1 was simply split in 2 divisions?

A simple divide is pointless because it needs to be based on something tangible.

You pointed out that big differences in total GP is a problem. That problem would be solved by splitting the current div. 1 into 2 divisions, right?
    My point is an algorithm that reflects the strength of a roster. A blanket one size fits all approach of top X players in a roster is a very flawed approach as it isn’t accounting for other aspects that makes a roster potent.

I highly doubt that CG aim to make completely even matches. I doubt that removing the incentive to build your roster stronger (and hence also the incentive to spend money) fits their business model.
  • Shadow597 wrote: »
    Because I guarantee that you don't put in the same level of effort, and definitely aren't as skilled, as he is.

I think you need to look up the definition of "guarantee". It's great that you are happy having him in the guild and what he is doing is very impressive, I'm not denying that. But saying that others don't put in the same level of effort or aren't as skilled as he is, is not only pretentious, ignorant and insulting, it is just flat out wrong. You can't possibly be in your right mind to claim such a thing without knowing anything about other people.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Shadow597 wrote: »
    Because I guarantee that you don't put in the same level of effort, and definitely aren't as skilled, as he is.

I think you need to look up the definition of "guarantee". It's great that you are happy having him in the guild and what he is doing is very impressive, I'm not denying that. But saying that others don't put in the same level of effort or aren't as skilled as he is, is not only pretentious, ignorant and insulting, it is just flat out wrong. You can't possibly be in your right mind to claim such a thing without knowing anything about other people.

Yet, you claim that Shadow597 is flat out wrong without (in your own words) "knowing anything about other people"? Oh, the irony.

I'm sure Bus 74 puts a lot of effort into his GACs. It was evident even before Shadow597's post (check his roster and GAC history). Yes, other players do too and we'll never know who puts absolutelty most effort into it, but Bus 74 earned his results. That's the whole point.
  • Waqui wrote: »

Yet, you claim that Shadow597 is flat out wrong without (in your own words) "knowing anything about other people"? Oh, the irony.

I'm sure Bus 74 puts a lot of effort into his GACs. It was evident even before Shadow597's post (check his roster and GAC history). Yes, other players do too and we'll never know who puts absolutelty most effort into it, but Bus 74 earned his results. That's the whole point.

I never said Bus didn't earn his results. I even said that what he did was impressive. All I did was calling out shadow on saying that he can GUARANTEE Bus is putting more effort into his GAC than everyone else. As you said, we'll never know who puts the absolute most effort into GAC, yet Shadow claimed that Bus does. Even if he finished first, how can a sane person GUARANTEE he puts the most effort into it? No need to bring out the "oh the irony", as all I did was calling out that insane claim. Just because someone claims something, doesn't mean it's true. Using the word "guarantee" makes it even more ridiculous. If he worded it differently it would have been ok I guess. But the way he did it was definitely not appropriate imo.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited June 2020

I never said Bus didn't earn his results. I even said that what he did was impressive. All I did was calling out shadow on saying that he can GUARANTEE Bus is putting more effort into his GAC than everyone else.

You claimed Shadow597 was flat out wrong, thus making the exact same mistake as you called him out for. I find that quite ironic.
    As you said, we'll never know who puts the absolute most effort into GAC, yet Shadow claimed that Bus does. Even if he finished first, how can a sane person GUARANTEE he puts the most effort into it?

How can you guarantee that he doesn't (You claimed that Shadow597 was flat out wrong)?!

I believe you got the point by now.

I never said Bus didn't earn his results. I even said that what he did was impressive. All I did was calling out shadow on saying that he can GUARANTEE Bus is putting more effort into his GAC than everyone else.

You claimed Shadow597 was flat out wrong, thus making the exact same mistake as you called him out for. I find that quite ironic.
    As you said, we'll never know who puts the absolute most effort into GAC, yet Shadow claimed that Bus does. Even if he finished first, how can a sane person GUARANTEE he puts the most effort into it?

How can you guarantee that he doesn't?!

That's exactly my point. I can't guarantee he doesn't. Just as Shadow can't guarantee he does. Yet he claims to do so. This is what I am calling out. And he IS flat out wrong with that statement because he CAN'T guarantee that Bus does. I hope I made my point clear.
  • Every other game in game industry has leaderboards based off the same attribute they match make based off. The problem with GAC is the leaderboards are meaningless because the people like Bus never face the other top players in the division.

This is an easy fix...make divisions based off the matchmaking criteria. Then leaderboards would matter again.
  • Kurgen
    226 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Tracks wrote: »
    Every other game in game industry has leaderboards based off the same attribute they match make based off. The problem with GAC is the leaderboards are meaningless because the people like Bus never face the other top players in the division.

This is an easy fix...make divisions based off the matchmaking criteria. Then leaderboards would matter again.

Exactly! This is the problem and the solution!

He should never have been in div1 in the first place if he doesn’t have a chance of matching with any other player in div 1.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

That's exactly my point. I can't guarantee he doesn't. Just as Shadow can't guarantee he does. Yet he claims to do so. This is what I am calling out. And he IS flat out wrong with that statement because he CAN'T guarantee that Bus does. I hope I made my point clear.

You're right, that he cannot guarantee it for the exact same reasons you're wrong when claiming this:
    [...] But saying that others don't put in the same level of effort or aren't as skilled as he is, is not only pretentious, ignorant and insulting, it is just flat out wrong. You can't possibly be in your right mind to claim such a thing without knowing anything about other people.

You appear to recognise when Shadow597 made that mistake, but for some reason you don't recognise when you do it yourself. That's ironic.

Over and out.

You're right, that he cannot guarantee it for the exact same reasons you're wrong when claiming this:
    [...] But saying that others don't put in the same level of effort or aren't as skilled as he is, is not only pretentious, ignorant and insulting, it is just flat out wrong. You can't possibly be in your right mind to claim such a thing without knowing anything about other people.

You appear to recognise when Shadow597 made that mistake, but for some reason you don't recognise when you do it yourself. That's ironic.

Over and out.

I just reread what you and I wrote multiple times and I think I now get your point. I probably should have worded that differently than I did in my first post according to the intention of my point. My whole point from the start was supposed to be that he can't possibly "guarantee" that Bus is putting the most effort into it, and that's what I wanted to call out. The way I worded it initially though, made you understand my comment in a way I didn't intend to, so I now see why you called it ironic. So yeah, my bad there for the inappropriate wording. Glad we agreed on my intended point though. Have a nice day 👍
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    The best players in a division are not necessarily the ones with the most GP.

If I drive a Ferrari and you drive a Honda Civic and I best you in a race, that does not necessarily make me the better driver.

Yea but problem is they are in the same race, but they never actually race against each other cause the ferrari is raced with ferraris while the Honda is raced with Hondas, yet they get placed in the same leaderboard.
  • What all this really shows is that the GP increase per relic level really needs an overhaul. It makes no sense that going from G12 to G13 to R1 adds a negligible increase in GP while going from R5-R6-R7 adds a significant increase. The difference in power between R6 and R7 does not deserve thousands of GP added compared to the couple hundred from R0 to R1. I don't blame Bus for keeping the relics low to get easy matchups, and I also realize that players will find another way to game the system if this is evened out a bit, but this seems like such an obvious discrepancy that could easily be tuned up a bit.
  • Current Matchmaking: Based off Top 80 characters

Recommended Solution: Have divisions based off Top 80 character GP

Most games base matchmaking off trophies and have the skill/power bands created naturally, but in this case it makes more sense to base the divisions off Top 80 GP. If that increases to 100 in the future then you readjust the divisions again. This immediately makes leaderboards relevant again. Yes it can still be gamed by making your 81+ characters stronger so you have more depth, but that is irrelevant at the top where people usually full clear 1 time all battles.

Ideally you also layer in an incentive to go up divisions (i.e. more clear rewards) because right now that incentive is very weak and people avoid going up divisions. In a game like Clash Royale you want to go up divisions to get new units. Here maybe that is gear....higher up you go the more likely you are to get g12+ and relic mats.
  • I was in a guild with the guy who has gotten #1 in D1 the last two times. He tailors his roster for GAC and makes sure that the investment benefits that game mode most. The drawback is weaker GL counters and squads for TW, supreme difficulty in getting KAM shards or even qualifying for KAM, and fewer CMs/qualifying for CMs in LS TB